Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sharp Objects

Bronze Party-Goer HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Sharp Objects

From Buffy alumn Marti Noxon. Based on novel from Gone Girl author Gillian Flynn. Starring Amy Adams and Patricia Clarkson. on HBO.
    The pilot was excellent! Did anyone else watch it?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (11-07-18),TimeTravellingBunny (15-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,505 Times in 1,044 Posts

I don’t have HBO here, but it looks interesting.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,085 Times in 2,931 Posts

I didn't see it either, though I'd love to. I've only read good reviews

Thanks

That is truly terrifying. Has a horror movie feel to it. Not sure I could handle it as a series. Add Criminal Minds to a slasher movie and a ghost story... sounds heart stopping. Even though i'm not a slasher movie fan, I kinda wish I had HBO.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,145 Times in 1,311 Posts

No - but just set it to record next Monday! Oy! Murdochs! Why does Sky have FOUR pages of repeats of "Say Yes to the Dress" but no repeat of this?
    Last edited by TriBel; 12-07-18 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlueJoy View Post
    That is truly terrifying. Has a horror movie feel to it. Not sure I could handle it as a series. Add Criminal Minds to a slasher movie and a ghost story... sounds heart stopping. Even though i'm not a slasher movie fan, I kinda wish I had HBO.
    Dunno bout all that?! Seemed more like a cross between True Detective and Big Little Lies at least style wise.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (28-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,066 Posts

I finally found the time to watch it. I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlueJoy View Post
    I didn't see it that way at all. Seems like an atmospheric psychological, character-driven drama with a dash of murder mystery to make it more interesting.

I already have a suspect. But I've heard in an extremely complimentary review of the entire season (on Spoiler TV), which calls it a masterpiece, that it's easy to resolve, but that murder mystery isn't really what's most important anyway.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (15-07-18)

Thanks

Don't tease us like that reviewer! Some of us have to wait to see the show!

Thanks

Did anyone catch the 2nd episode? Was excellent.

Thanks

I've now seen the first two episodes. The show has a True Detective feel. It's set in one of those small run-down mid-western US towns in a stifling summer. Everyone is odd, or drunk or suffering mental illness. Amy Adams is good as the self-harming reporter, returning to her home town, plagued by memories of her own dead sister. We've seen this story before, but the performances are good and it has a prestige feel.

Thanks

Wait til you see episode 3. It's amazing! The best so far in this quite excellent event season.

Thanks

Episode 4 was great as well. Krazy ending! Can't wait for next episode!

Thanks

Anyone else watching?

Thanks

As you know HIMDS, I saw ep 5 yesterday and was blown away. I have absolutely no clue what's going on, or who the murderer could be. Camile seems to be having a breakdown, the constant time shifts are so disorientating, the sex on the show is some of the unkindest and mean I've ever seen on tv. The characters are all weird, mentally ill, drunk or just dodgy.

I am hopeful that it won't come down to 'the evil mother' trope, and that we'll learn more about Adora that makes her not so bad, but right now she seems to be the cause of her daughters distress.

Thanks

It's actually much better than that appraisal would seem, tho. I think Camille has lotsa issues, not just from Adora. Just wait till next episode.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    It's actually much better than that appraisal would seem, tho. I think Camille has lotsa issues, not just from Adora. Just wait till next episode.
    I hope it isn't just Adora. I want to know who Camile's father is.

Thanks

So - is this good? I haven't watched any of it (I set the box thing up to record but forgot to press the "serial" button). Is it worth investing money in the DVD when it's released?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    So - is this good? I haven't watched any of it (I set the box thing up to record but forgot to press the "serial" button). Is it worth investing money in the DVD when it's released?
    I'm enjoying it, but there is a sense that it's trying too hard to be 'weird', and meaningful. Very much in the True Detective mould. I'm worried that it's going to end with 'it's all the evil mother's fault' and all the bells and whistles will come to nothing more than something we've seen a trillion times. The performances are very good. I want to reserve full judgement till it's finished.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (15-08-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I'm enjoying it, but there is a sense that it's trying too hard to be 'weird', and meaningful. Very much in the True Detective mould. I'm worried that it's going to end with 'it's all the evil mother's fault' and all the bells and whistles will come to nothing more than something we've seen a trillion times. The performances are very good. I want to reserve full judgement till it's finished.
    That'll do - given I won't be able to buy it until it's finished. True Detective - initially, I had problems getting into S1 but once I was in I was fine with it. Didn't watch S2 because I'm allergic to Colin Farrell.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    That'll do - given I won't be able to buy it until it's finished. True Detective - initially, I had problems getting into S1 but once I was in I was fine with it. Didn't watch S2 because I'm allergic to Colin Farrell.
    I think I'm one of the few people who loved Colin Farrell in Season 2, I thought he gave a great performance, though the story wasn't as compelling. To be honest I found Matthew McConaughey a bit much in S1