Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Random comics related questions (not season 12!)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 657 Posts

I finished season8!

"Your were faced with decisions no one has to make. Attacked -- controlled -- by forces no one comprehends. And you pulled your people through."

That`s a really nice pep talk, Spike. I like it! I like that one even better than the hell of a woman speech. "You pulled your people through" sounds good.

I`ll start season9 tomorrow.

flow

- - - Updated - - -

╠ have one more question regarding season8 before I move on to season9:

When Spike meets Buffy outside Dawn`s and Xanders`s appartement, she tells him that she broke the Scythe and he replys "Yeah I don`t really get what that thing was".

What does he mean? He didn`t get what the Scythe was? He should know, because he was there from the beginning. Or did he not get, why she broke it? It broke because Buffy destoyed the Seed with it and with all the magic gone the power of the scythe should be gone too, shouldn`t it?

What was Spike talking about?

Season9:

1. Is the married guy who arrives with Spike and Andrew at the party really Riley? I hope he isn`t because he does not look like Riley at all and where is Sam and why does he show up with Spike of all people?

2. Does anybody else think Buffy is going through a huge character regression at the beginning of season9 ? She was a General Buffy in season8, leading hundreds or thousands of girls. In full power in full command and no doubts or no hesitation about what she had to do. Every time she did, what needed to be done. And suddenly she is drunken party chick Buffy who acts like a twelve year old?

3. What is it that Xander and Buffy are talking about at the party and both of them don`t want Dawn to know?

4. Do Spike and Willow really joke about the scene in Intervention at the party? I mean - come on. You can`t be serious. It was bad enough that you played it like a comedy in the show. You can`t joke about it again. Can you?

5. Is this supposed to be Buffy on the cover of the TPB volume 1 Freefall? Because it looks more like Joyce.

6. Does anybody like the way Karl Moline is drawing Buffy?

7. Where is Buffy`s Scythe when her roommates raid her room ? It`s neither on the bed with her other weapons nor in her weapons chest. Shortly afterwards it is suddenly in her weapons chest.

8. Could Severin have drained Buffy`s power as long as she was a Robot? Did she have any power as a robot? if not, did Andrew`s "swap-Buffy`s-body-for-a-robot scheme" save Buffy after all?

9. Why should vampires be afraid of water? Water doesn`t hurt them, does it?

10. Can robots really vomit?

11. Is Spike┤s line about "I am also gonna add Y to the end of my sentence-y" meant to be a joke about fanfic, in which Buffy-speak is basically Buffy speaking normal language with an y added to the end of every third word?

flow

- - - Updated - - -
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-07-18),Sosa lola (15-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (15-07-18),Stoney (15-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,847 Times in 1,926 Posts

What does he mean? He didn`t get what the Scythe was? He should know, because he was there from the beginning. Or did he not get, why she broke it? It broke because Buffy destoyed the Seed with it and with all the magic gone the power of the scythe should be gone too, shouldn`t it?
    i haven't read it in a while, but i wonder if Spike were trying to be funny and make Buffy see that the scythe wasn't the power or important, she was.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Is the married guy who arrives with Spike and Andrew at the party really Riley? I hope he isn`t because he does not look like Riley at all and where is Sam and why does he show up with Spike of all people?
    Yes it's Riley and it gets all kinds of flirty . . .

2. Does anybody else think Buffy is going through a huge character regression at the beginning of season9 ? She was a General Buffy in season8, leading hundreds or thousands of girls. In full power in full command and no doubts or no hesitation about what she had to do. Every time she did, what needed to be done. And suddenly she is drunken party chick Buffy who acts like a twelve year old?
    Yes, but there are reasons for that . . . not sure how much you know and I don't want to spoil it for you

Spoiler:
    she's a robot from very early on in the party, so not much of this is actual Buffy

- - - Updated - - -

3. What is it that Xander and Buffy are talking about at the party and both of them don`t want Dawn to know?
    Buffy is propositioning Xander and telling him Dawn doesn't need to know
    Never much cared for picket fences, anyway. Bloody dangerous.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (15-07-18)

Thanks

She's not propositioning Xander, it's his problem with his
    Spoiler:
    anger which led to him almost killing Angel after the Seed was destroyed which is why Angel's face was bloody at Giles' house later on. He has an unhealthy rage bit and goes to therapy in S10.

I think Spike just generally means all the mythology points of everything that happened.

Yes it's Riley.

It's an intentional thing part of why the book is called Freefall. Not to bias you too much but Freefall is considered the most coherent arc of the Buffy book even with all this hazy writing.

Spoiler above.

Yes.

Yes they made another joke.

He's better at Jeanty at times although often draws women too skinny if I remember his issues correctly.

Art error.

He tried draining her and said it felt different, robots do have a power source I suppose.

Don't really not what this means although zompires are meant to be more feral, maybe they forgot how to swim?

Andrew has a line later how he didn't program properly so the robot could digest food.

Yes.
    Last edited by DanSlayer; 15-07-18 at 05:01 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

flow (15-07-18)

Thanks

She's not propositioning Xander, it's his problem with his
    You are probably right, but the hand on the arm, the physical contact, makes me thing there is something more there. Plus when she finds out she's pregnant, she counts Xander as one of the men who could be the father. Buffy may be wanting to help him and get him to talk, but I think that beyond that, she's flirting with him, as she does with Riley and Spike.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (15-07-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

It's Riley.

I think it's just Buffy's way of coping. Pretending that everything is fine, denying her responsibility for the events of the previous season and probably also trying to enjoy normal life as well, after all the craziness and trauma. As Riley puts it - Buffy, you can stop convincing yourself things are better now.

In season 8 Buffy came on to Xander, after having naughty thoughts about him since the beginning of the season. At that time Xander was dating Dawn, so that might be it. Also, they might be talking about what happened in the seed's chamber in season 8 - those events are presented in "The Watcher" near the end of this season.

4. Do Spike and Willow really joke about the scene in Intervention at the party? I mean - come on. You can`t be serious. It was bad enough that you played it like a comedy in the show. You can`t joke about it again. Can you?
    Willow and Spike are friends (they were even adventuring together in Spike's series during season 8) it was a long time ago and, also, they're at a party and they're both drunk. Of course they can joke about it.

5. Is this supposed to be Buffy on the cover of the TPB volume 1 Freefall? Because it looks more like Joyce.
    Yeah. She does look a tad middle-age-y, I'll give you that.

6. Does anybody like the way Karl Moline is drawing Buffy?
    He's not the worst, I think.

7. Where is Buffy`s Scythe when her roommates raid her room ? It`s neither on the bed with her other weapons nor in her weapons chest. Shortly afterwards it is suddenly in her weapons chest.
    Artist error?

8. Could Severin have drained Buffy`s power as long as she was a Robot? Did she have any power as a robot? if not, did Andrew`s "swap-Buffy`s-body-for-a-robot scheme" save Buffy after all?
    He does mention that Buffy sparks different, spark as in a electricity, robot etc. It's still lame, but still.

9. Why should vampires be afraid of water? Water doesn`t hurt them, does it?
    I don't remember that part, when was that mentioned?

10. Can robots really vomit?
    Asking the right questions. I mean, if they can eat?

11. Is Spike┤s line about "I am also gonna add Y to the end of my sentence-y" meant to be a joke about fanfic, in which Buffy-speak is basically Buffy speaking normal language with an y added to the end of every third word?
    Probably just some self-depreciating/self-referential humor but who knows?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

flow (15-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    You are probably right, but the hand on the arm, the physical contact, makes me thing there is something more there. Plus when she finds out she's pregnant, she counts Xander as one of the men who could be the father. Buffy may be wanting to help him and get him to talk, but I think that beyond that, she's flirting with him, as she does with Riley and Spike.
    Mostly misdirect to set up the robo-abortion thing. Technically they even hint she could have had a one night stand with Willow.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

flow (15-07-18),Stoney (15-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanSlayer View Post
    Mostly misdirect to set up the robo-abortion thing. Technically they even hint she could have had a one night stand with Willow.
    True, she and Willow getting dressed together the morning after

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (15-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 657 Posts

a thing of evil:
    I don't remember that part, when was that mentioned?
    DanSlayer:
    Don't really not what this means although zompires are meant to be more feral, maybe they forgot how to swim?
    It`s Spike who mentions this on his boat trip with Koh Eldre and he does not say that he doesn`t like water he says vampires and water aren`t exactly best friends.

Priceless:
    Plus when she finds out she's pregnant, she counts Xander as one of the men who could be the father.
    Xander is not among those she names. She names the candidates in a conversation with Dawn so it would be weird if she named him, even if she had him on her list.

DanSlayer:
    It's an intentional thing part of why the book is called Freefall. Not to bias you too much but Freefall is considered the most coherent arc of the Buffy book even with all this hazy writing.
    Just of season 9 or of all the comic seasons? I have to admit that I rather like the comics so far and I don`t think they are really incoherent. I just got to Billy The Vampire Slayer and that was a bit off-putting but only because it had almost no Buffy at all in it. The story itself was okay (and Billy had a poster of the very first Queen album I ever owned on his bedroom wall - that guy got taste in music!)

DanSlayer:
    anger which led to him almost killing Angel after the Seed was destroyed which is why Angel's face was bloody at Giles' house later on. He has an unhealthy rage bit and goes to therapy in S10.
    a thing of evil:
    Also, they might be talking about what happened in the seed's chamber in season 8 - those events are presented in "The Watcher" near the end of this season.
    Okay, I`ll wait until I get to the end of the season and see, if I can figure this scene out then. I did not get the feeling, that Buffy was trying to flirt with Xander in this particular scene. She was flirting with him back in season 8 when she found out he was kissing Dawn, but that felt weird enough and after that she had a make-out-session with Angel and wild dreams about Spike so I hope, she got over her very sudden and hopefully short-lived romantic feelings for Xander.

I also didn`t really get the impression she was flirting with Riley. If at all, she was a bit flirty towards Spike, when she asked him, if there was a chance she could make him beg to be invited in. But he successfully killed that mood, when he reminded her, she spelled the word "Party" wrong in her text message.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

DanSlayer (15-07-18),Stoney (15-07-18)

Thanks

Just of season 9 or of all the comic seasons? I have to admit that I rather like the comics so far and I don`t think they are really incoherent. I just got to Billy The Vampire Slayer and that was a bit off-putting but only because it had almost no Buffy at all in it. The story itself was okay (and Billy had a poster of the very first Queen album I ever owned on his bedroom wall - that guy got taste in music!)
    Of the Buffy Season 9 books Freefall was a weak start and the Buffy story got worse from there. People were unhappy with the lack of self-reflection on the Twilight fiasco on Buffy's part, Simone's overall plan makes no real sense when you look at her whole character history and even first monologues in S9, Severin is/was mostly bland after a slightly intriguing start plus underdeveloped from a mythology angle, people had like 3 different interpretations for why Buffy quit working for Kennedy and the one we're meant to take makes little sense, zompires got boring quick, the insertion of Billy into the group when we never see him meet Buffy on top of the fact she was so hesitant to let the Potentials fight the First but has no problem with Billy apparently moving in with her, the pathetic integration of a tentacle and evil parrot as W & H's first Buffy appearance; and more, but I'll get to that later.

Christos Gage wrote the Angel & Faith Season 9 story which also has it's flaws and detractors but I'd say the majority of people at least found it entertaining if not deep. It has a clear purpose, decent callbacks to the shows, a beginning, middle and end arcs and does it's damnedest to make sense of Angel's character after Twilight, although some found it white-washing. The take on Whistler was pretty well done IMO. Especially since Gage had no part in the Twilight storyline and it was left to him to make sense of it. Pretty much nobody on the boards was happy with the Buffy book. Gage and Rebbekah Issacs the main artist would move to the Buffy book for Seasons 10 and 11 with Gage also co-writer on S12 right now with Joss. Gage also wrote most of the Willow Wonderland mini. The writer of the the Spike A Dark Place mini, Victor Grischler was moved to A & F S10 although I'll save those details for later.
    Last edited by DanSlayer; 15-07-18 at 10:12 PM.

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    a thing of evil:
    DanSlayer:

It`s Spike who mentions this on his boat trip with Koh Eldre and he does not say that he doesn`t like water he says vampires and water aren`t exactly best friends.

Priceless: Xander is not among those she names. She names the candidates in a conversation with Dawn so it would be weird if she named him, even if she had him on her list.

DanSlayer:

DanSlayer:
    a thing of evil:

Okay, I`ll wait until I get to the end of the season and see, if I can figure this scene out then. I did not get the feeling, that Buffy was trying to flirt with Xander in this particular scene. She was flirting with him back in season 8 when she found out he was kissing Dawn, but that felt weird enough and after that she had a make-out-session with Angel and wild dreams about Spike so I hope, she got over her very sudden and hopefully short-lived romantic feelings for Xander.

I also didn`t really get the impression she was flirting with Riley. If at all, she was a bit flirty towards Spike, when she asked him, if there was a chance she could make him beg to be invited in. But he successfully killed that mood, when he reminded her, she spelled the word "Party" wrong in her text message.

flow
    I believe she herself says she made a pass at a married man. It's a play on S8 where over the course of it, she hits on about every male character save Andrew and Giles. Willow is a Satsu reference. The entirety of the party and fallout thereof is pretty much all a play on S8 and Joss meta on himself. He's Buffy. He got drunk with no budget or restrictions and made a mess of things. It's rather dishonest, since we're supposed to see a character fault when it's actually the writers who refuse to deal with the mess they made, something they still haven't done to this day.

A big issue people had was the lack of dealing with anything. They waffle back and forth on the spacefrak. Kennedy blames Buffy and Buffy doesn't deny it, but the story and other characters say it was glohypnol. Instead of dealing with THAT can of worms and what that might mean for Angel as a character, they focus on the smashing of the Seed (abortion arc), which no one really had an issue with. Nothing was explained. Everything else was handwaved as a joke.

I feel comments by Allie and Joss around that time also put people off. JW's comment about not blaming Buffy "too much" for her choice were offputting and Allie's dumbass rationalization for the spacefrak being drinking/drugs were pretty nauseating.