Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Random comics related questions (not season 12!)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,111 Times in 2,467 Posts

Unfortunately I can only afford to get Buffy season9 for now. The mini series as well as Angel&Faith simply have to wait....
    I think that A&F Season 9 is the second best season of the comics and I'd highly recommend it. It's the compelling story of two damaged people trying to resurrect a third and it's done incredibly well by Christos Gage. It really does give a deeper insight into Faith and Angel then I think even the tv show achieved (for Faith definitely)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (09-07-18),TriBel (10-07-18)

Thanks

I know in Season 11 Spike says he doesn't enjoy, or get any sustenance from, human food. Does he say, anywhere else in the comics, that he doesn't like human food?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I know in Season 11 Spike says he doesn't enjoy, or get any sustenance from, human food. Does he say, anywhere else in the comics, that he doesn't like human food?
    Is that the remark at the end of S11? If so, I'm not reading it in quite the same way as you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-07-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 454 Posts

Does he say, anywhere else in the comics, that he doesn't like human food?
    He does, season 10, issue #23: Food doesn't really taste like much to us. I scarf down something every now and again to keep the old teeth in shape...if it's hot or spicy enough, it's a bit less bland.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-07-18),Silver1 (11-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Is that the remark at the end of S11? If so, I'm not reading it in quite the same way as you.
    Yes, that's the scene I was thinking of. How do you read it?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    He does, season 10, issue #23: Food doesn't really taste like much to us. I scarf down something every now and again to keep the old teeth in shape...if it's hot or spicy enough, it's a bit less bland.
    Thanks a thing of evil, I'd forgotten this.

I wonder why Gage began to comment on this, as it's an accepted part of Spike's character that he enjoys human food. It's more an Angel trait, to dismiss human food as bland and tasteless.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (11-07-18)

Thanks

He adds food to his blood to give it spice and texture doesn't he? (So his "doesn't taste like much" remark rings true). His fascination with flowering onions - I always presumed was partly to do with the taste but also partly to do with the process of how one thing becomes another. Actually it's probably quite a complex metaphor because onions come from the seed of the flower. Andrew's remark "It's an onion and it's a flower. I-I don't understand how such a thing is possible" isn't as banal as it sounds.The idea that he can't eat much because it makes him ill was new - but, in retrospect, I've never seen him eat a lot. There's also the idea that the consumption of food often involves ritual - ritual reinforces bonds and boundaries. The odd thing for me was he had to explain it to Willow.

Do you mean - is Gage trying to make him more like Angel? Possibly - there's that "Darkest before" one-shot where it's suggested she can't tell the difference between them.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (11-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 826 Posts

The bakery in Hanselstadt is labelled "Bäkerei".

Honestly, don`t they just ask someone? I mean, they wouldn`t really have needed a translator for that. Google would have told them. Or they could have just asked in a forum.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (11-07-18),Silver1 (11-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,295 Times in 4,233 Posts

I don't think it is anything that is supposed to be drawing Spike closer to being 'Angel'esque. I think it was just used to highlight the potential issues with vamp/human relationships, that something as straight forward as a restaurant date might not be something they approach/see in the same way. It was followed by Buffy wanting to go out for a run in the sun after all and then considering a same sex couple who had a child. It was all just about differences from standard and bridging gaps to make your life work in the way you want I think.

It didn't work especially well to my mind because Spike unsouled appeared keen on trying to 'date' (although that was probably greatly about proof of acceptance), once souled he just didn't approach things the same I suppose. His own insecurities about being in the relationship I can see causing him to let 'differences' seem insurmountable and important though. That could be at the crux of his changed attitude about typical dating. Whilst he always seemed interested in some foods for the pleasure of having them, rather than just knowing how to make them palatable when he had to, I also think the idea of food being bland in the main without 'spicing' up does work against what we see him interested in eating. Although clearly texture is also a thing, weetabix can *never* be claimed to be eaten for flavour.
    Last edited by Stoney; 11-07-18 at 04:51 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (11-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post

Honestly, don`t they just ask someone? I mean, they wouldn`t really have needed a translator for that. Google would have told them. Or they could have just asked in a forum.

flow
    I've just googled translated 'Bakery' into German and it comes back as 'Bakerei' . . . so is google wrong?

Thanks

Stoney:
    Although clearly texture is also a thing, weetabix can *never* be claimed to be eaten for flavour.
    Weetabix is mush (until it sets like concrete on the side of a bowl). It's the food of the devil and shouldn't be eaten by anyone who's capable of handling either a soul or a spoon. Urgh! Disgusting stuff!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (11-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (11-07-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 565 Posts

There are various suggestions throughout the run of comics that Angel and Spike are more or less the same in the eyes of Buffy. Various covers and whatnot, along with dress. People speculated on it mightily in S8 with the dreams and the coat stuff from 34. It could lend to the dream manifestation thing. Or it could just be that the writers don't remember the show nearly as well as fans.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,295 Times in 4,233 Posts

I think it was always a joke that focused on insecurities and wanting to feel distinct. It's no more true than you can draw parallels between Buffy and Faith just because they are slayers though to me. So I'm voting the writers are being tongue in cheek with the fans about the similarities in the characters' stories and/or are forgetting some of the character details.

I quite like weetabix TriBel, with an offensive amount of sugar on top.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-07-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 454 Posts

And then there's this:

Do they really think that Deutsche Bahn (or any other European railway company for that matter) still uses steam locomotives, I mean, outside of tourist attraction-type lines? I don't want to whine about ignorant Americans but for goodness' sake, this is embarrassing. What, they couldn't just google German train and hit images?

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

flow (11-07-18),Silver1 (11-07-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,109 Times in 565 Posts

Because they're used to people not actually caring about side details. Comics and even the TV shows--not only Buffy, but nearly all shows--just fudge stuff all the time. About foreign countries, about America, about other states in America. For the most part, people just take things in stride.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (11-07-18)

Thanks

Hmm...I'd have to go back to the original but, judging from the dialogue, I'm guessing they're sacrificing historical accuracy for irony. The words "bunker" and "cattle car" wouldn't evoke the war or the Shoah half as well with a diesel or electric train. Unless Faith is being sarcastic, it's the ignorance of the characters that's being flagged up by the writers. In fact, it's almost impossible to show a steam train in Germany without the "bad association" of the Holocaust. Even a film like Ruttman's Berlin, Symphony for a Great City is tainted by it and that was made in 1927.

Stoney:
    I don't think it is anything that is supposed to be drawing Spike closer to being 'Angel'esque.
    I don't think it's a case of either Spike becoming Angel or Angel becoming Spike but I do wonder whether both are changing to the extent they could meet somewhere in the middle.

Thanks

Priceless:
    I've just googled translated 'Bakery' into German and it comes back as 'Bakerei' . . . so is google wrong?
    Yes! Yes, Google is wrong and I am quite shocked! And of course now the writer is absolutely rehabilitated. He probably did google it and google gave him the wrong answer. It´s Bäckerei.

TriBel:
    In fact, it's almost impossible to show a steam train in Germany without the "bad association" of the Holocaust. Even a film like Ruttman's Berlin, Symphony for a Great City is tainted by it and that was made in 1927.
    They were using a passenger Train earlier and it was a steam train as well. I am not sure, they deliberately used the steam train for the association with the holocaust. It might in fact be just inaccuracy. I am actually not even sure about the cattle car and the association to the holocaust because Faith`line seems to be a Little bit too much of a throwaway remark for that. But maybe I am misinterpreting that.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

They were using a passenger Train earlier and it was a steam train as well. I am not sure, they deliberately used the steam train for the association with the holocaust. It might in fact be just inaccuracy. I am actually not even sure about the cattle car and the association to the holocaust because Faith`line seems to be a Little bit too much of a throwaway remark for that. But maybe I am misinterpreting that.
    As I said, I'd have to read it in context but it seems far too explicit to me to be anything but irony on the part of the writers and unwitting irony on the part of the characters. Have you any idea where it's supposed to be flow? Apparently, there's a fully working narrow gauge railway that runs through the Harz Mountains - the Harzer Schmalspurbahnen. "With three interconnecting lines extending just over 140 kilometres and serving 48 stations it is Europe’s longest railway network with daily steam operation, and has the largest fleet of passenger steam locomotives, with 25 engines". Seems it exists only because East Germany couldn't afford to modernize. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/r...-in-the-world/

Thanks

TriBel
    As I said, I'd have to read it in context but it seems far too explicit to me to be anything but irony on the part of the writers and unwitting irony on the part of the characters. Have you any idea where it's supposed to be flow? Apparently, there's a fully working narrow gauge railway that runs through the Harz Mountains - the Harzer Schmalspurbahnen. "With three interconnecting lines extending just over 140 kilometres and serving 48 stations it is Europe’s longest railway network with daily steam operation, and has the largest fleet of passenger steam locomotives, with 25 engines". Seems it exists only because East Germany couldn't afford to modernize. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/r...-in-the-world/
    It definitely looks Bavarian or at least like somewhere in the South of Germany to me. Harz looks different. I`ll try to link two pictures.

This is from Bavaria:

http://www.akpool.de/ansichtskarten/...hlucht-viadukt

And this is Harz:

https://wrba.photoshelter.com/image/I0000K9ih4VxFtUs

flow

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

Yes! Yes, Google is wrong and I am quite shocked! And of course now the writer is absolutely rehabilitated. He probably did google it and google gave him the wrong answer. It´s Bäckerei.
    Don't be too quick to forgive the writer, I've just done it again, and it came back as Backerei! Maybe it depends on which translate tool you use?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    TriBel

It definitely looks Bavarian or at least like somewhere in the South of Germany to me. Harz looks different. I`ll try to link two pictures.

This is from Bavaria:

http://www.akpool.de/ansichtskarten/...hlucht-viadukt

And this is Harz:

https://wrba.photoshelter.com/image/I0000K9ih4VxFtUs

flow
    Sigh...I'm sure Germany has more than its fair share of trees and mountains! Here's an idea - chop down the former; level the latter and build some more football pitches.