Thanks
    Thanked 6,093 Times in 2,935 Posts

Luke Cage cancelled now.

Bronze Party-Goer HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Was kinda surprised by this one!

Thanks

Looks like DareDevil just got the axe too! However, looks like there's new life for the horned one over at Disney...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-11-18)

Thanks

I'm not surprised, it wasn't very good. It's such a shame, none of these Netflix Marvel shows have been as good as they could have been. Dull and over long every one of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I'm not surprised, it wasn't very good. It's such a shame, none of these Netflix Marvel shows have been as good as they could have been. Dull and over long every one of them.
    What?! Daredevil was fantastic, one of the best superhero shows - nah, one of the best shows, period, together with Jessica Jones. Iron Fist wasn't that sussessful and Luke Cage had a mixed response from fans I've talked to, but DD was popular and critically acclaimed.

People who thought IF and LC were cancelled because of money or ratings or whatever were shocked by this news. But everyone now understands what's going on. Netflix is being petty AF about its new rivalry with Disney over the upcoming Disney streaming service and is cutting ties with them/trying to prove they're big boys now and don't need Disney anymore or the Marvel shows, which initially put them on the map. Obviously JJ and The Punisher are not going to get more than the one season they're already working on. Netflix is pulling the plug on the Marvel shows. Even though they were, even at their weakest, usually still better than Runaways or Cloak and Dagger. This has nothing to do with quality or popularity. DD season 3 has been praised to high heaven by everyone. I haven't had the time to see it yet, but people are even saying it is better than season 1, which was a masterpiece.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Priceless (01-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    What?! Daredevil was fantastic, one of the best superhero shows - nah, one of the best shows, period, together with Jessica Jones. Iron Fist wasn't that sussessful and Luke Cage had a mixed response from fans I've talked to, but DD was popular and critically acclaimed.

People who thought IF and LC were cancelled because of money or ratings or whatever were shocked by this news. But everyone now understands what's going on. Netflix is being petty AF about its new rivalry with Disney over the upcoming Disney streaming service and is cutting ties with them/trying to prove they're big boys now and don't need Disney anymore or the Marvel shows, which initially put them on the map. Obviously JJ and The Punisher are not going to get more than the one season they're already working on. Netflix is pulling the plug on the Marvel shows. Even though they were, even at their weakest, usually still better than Runaways or Cloak and Dagger. This has nothing to do with quality or popularity. DD season 3 has been praised to high heaven by everyone. I haven't had the time to see it yet, but people are even saying it is better than season 1, which was a masterpiece.
    It's all subjective, so I take your point that lots of people loved the shows. I only watched the first season of Daredevil and didn't particularly enjoy it. It was overlong for the story it was trying to tell. The dialogue was clunky. The acting was good, as were the stunts. But the characters seemed quite dull to me . . . they were heavy and stagnant, there was no lightness of touch anywhere, everything was on the nail and overly direct. There was never a point were I went 'oh wow, I didn't see that coming' or 'oh, now I see it', it was all too obvious and there were very few layers to the characters.

Why do people think Season 1 of Daredevil is a masterpiece? I just didn't see it that way at all. Maybe it helps if you read the comics or knew the backstory?

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,734 Times in 839 Posts

You're not the only one. I couldn't stand the show, but then I admit I found the original comics weren't my cup of tea either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (01-12-18)

Thanks

I didn't read the comics and didn't know much about the backstory. I just loved the show (and Jessica Jones).
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks

It's all power moves from corporate. Disney+ is to be family friendly fare directly under Kevin Feige who runs Marvel's film division. it used to be one with the TV side but Fiege broke out from under Ike Perlmutter an open Trump supporter still in charge of Marvel TV and other types of products to this day. Allegedly Perlmutter didn't want to do films like Black Panther or Captain Marvel which Fiege really wanted; Feige got enough sway to go to Disney directly. Allegedly Perlmutter was a driving force behind burying the Fantastic 4 and X-Men in the comics since Fox had the film rights; he pushed for Inhumans to be a replacement which flamed out last year on TV.

Disney+ is all age stuff so not a fit for the shows. Besides, Netflix likely has some IP hooks in the contract so that these show characters can't be used outside of Netflix for a while, like how Fox did nothing with F4 for almost 10 years but still had the film rights. Even then, after the years of waiting are up they likely have to reboot with new actors as the characters. Netflix also bought Frank Miller character rights to set up their own comics universe.

Runaways will be in a bit of an interesting spot. Disney will use Hulu for more mature shows and films; which Runaways isn't technically; but they probably won't re-brand all of Hulu to R rated stuff, especially as Disney plans to launch it internationally as well. It should be safe. There's been talk of a crossover with C & D but I don't know logistically, corporate-wise if it's feasible.

SHIELD is fine with the surprise 2 season renewal now, though S7 might be final I suppose; they'd just announce it early. They have time to plan. Cloak & Dagger which picked up by the last batch of episodes and has potential in my opinion, is also safe on Freeform; S2 in spring. ABC and Freeform are already Disney.

With outside productions from Netflix getting canned even as part of the MCU; it further seals the fate of The Gifted and Legion IMO. Sure Fox will be absorbed to Disney but the Mouse will want to have a fresh slate for mutants. Legion does very well with critics and will have a S3 next year. I'm really loving The Gifted but will be very surprised if it gets a 3rd season. Already bracing myself for a cliffhanger that'll never be answered.

This kind of company meddling happens. The show Arrow had an Amanda Waller and was clearly setting up a Suicide Squad arc; got orders from Warner Bros. to kill her and scrap that as to not mess up the film plans. Eh, at least they let them keep TV Flash; which has rebounded so far in Season 5 but I'm still wary as S4 started well too; and there's still some frustrating writing.
    Last edited by DanSlayer; 02-12-18 at 06:55 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (02-12-18),TimeTravellingBunny (03-12-18)

Thanks

@Priceless I've never read the comics either, and I ♥ DareDevil. Maybe it's just you.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (03-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    @Priceless I've never read the comics either, and I ♥ DareDevil. Maybe it's just you.
    Lol, you could be right Maybe I should watch the second season? Is there a lighter touch in the writing, any humour at all, that isn't based on Foggy's looks or personality?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (03-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Lol, you could be right Maybe I should watch the second season? Is there a lighter touch in the writing, any humour at all, that isn't based on Foggy's looks or personality?
    .......No.

Actually, there's no humor based on Foggy, either.

If you really need humor and light-heartedness, Daredevil is not the show for you.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 353 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    You do know everyone has an opinion.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-12-18)

Thanks

And that opinions are like...well whatever.
    Anyway. at least Pricey knew I was joking.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-12-18)