View Poll Results: Which “could be canon” and/or was/is canon comics and novels do you want to be canon?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • BtVS: “The Origin”

4 50.00%
  • BtVS: “Ring of Fire”

2 25.00%
  • BtVS: “Spike & Dru: Paint the Town Red”

2 25.00%
  • BtVS: “Spike & Dru: Queen of Hearts”

2 25.00%
  • BtVS: “Willow and Tara: Wanna Blessed Be”

2 25.00%
  • BtVS: “Willow and Tara: Wilderness”

2 25.00%
  • BtVS: “Bad Dog”

2 25.00%
  • BtVS: “Double Cross”

2 25.00%
  • AtS: “Long Night’s Journey”

2 25.00%
  • AtS: “Spike vs. Dracula”

2 25.00%
  • AtS: “Spike: Asylum”

6 75.00%
  • AtS: “Spike: Shadow Puppets”

6 75.00%
  • AtS: “Illyria: Only Human”

3 37.50%
  • AtS Special: “Lorne”

5 62.50%
  • BtVS: “Spike and Dru: Pretty Maids All in a Row”

2 25.00%
  • BtVS: “Faith: Go Ask Malice”

2 25.00%
  • BtVS: “Haunted”

1 12.50%
  • BtVS: “Jonathan”

1 12.50%
  • BtVs: “Reunion”

1 12.50%
  • other: explain in post

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Which “could be canon” and/or was/is canon comics and novels do you want to be canon?

Thanks

Default Which “could be canon” and/or was/is canon comics and novels do you want to be canon?

I maintain all of Jane Espenson’s comics--"Haunted", "Jonathan", and "Reunion"--outside of the “Tales” stuff, BtVS S8, and BtVS S9 have each have something in them so glaring that they cannot be canon.

Thanks

Malice. Mostly.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,811 Posts

I haven't read any of those novels, and I don't think they are considered canon, are they? I have read the two Spike books Asylum and Shadow Puppets, so just because of that, I want they to be canon

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (21-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 531 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I haven't read any of those novels, and I don't think they are considered canon, are they? I have read the two Spike books Asylum and Shadow Puppets, so just because of that, I want they to be canon
    Those are my favourite Buffyverse comics together with AtF, so I voted for them too. I also voted for Only Human, because I think that how IDW handled Illyria was SO much better than what DH did with her (or should I say: to her).

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-06-18),Silver1 (21-06-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,106 Posts

I still say out of all the comics that Spike after the fall and Angel after the fall felt the most like true Buffy/Angelverse products.

I don't care about being seen as canon or not, I think Lynch had a good handle of the characters, unlike Whedon who to me rapidly proved he'd lost the plot.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (21-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

I think I read all the comics listed, but my memory isn't that good for me to remember details that could not fit canon and then spoil the whole thing. So I voted for AtS: “Spike: Asylum”, “Spike: Shadow Puppets” and “Lorne” only - but that doesn't mean they are the only ones I want to be canon/could be canon.

I read “Spike and Dru: Pretty Maids All in a Row” many years ago, as well as other novels that could be canon I think, like that one where Willow works with souless Spike, but really, I don't remember much.

The Spike mini is great, but there is the interchangeable souls bit that is just wrong.
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (21-06-18),Stoney (21-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,999 Times in 767 Posts

I say that anything that came after the shows ended is not canon. It can be au, fanfic, mental masturbation - but only the shows themselves were canon.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,319 Times in 531 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    I still say out of all the comics that Spike after the fall and Angel after the fall felt the most like true Buffy/Angelverse products.

I don't care about being seen as canon or not, I think Lynch had a good handle of the characters, unlike Whedon who to me rapidly proved he'd lost the plot.
    Completely agreed!! No matter how much I liked the Spuffiness of the latest seasons, unlike AtF the DH comics never felt "real" to me.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (21-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,955 Times in 5,386 Posts

Didn't Joss say that The Origin was closer to what he visualised for the Buffy movie than the movie itself turned out to be?? I don't have a source for that, just a vague recollection of being told something along those lines. Other things listed here are just headcanon if you choose to have them I think, but it's Joss who gets to pick the literal canon. Anything we then individually choose to add or remove is our own choice and totally fair enough, but it doesn't change what is actually canon.

I can't believe how many things I have, and have had for years, that I still haven't gotten around to reading yet. I'm certain I've a copy of Pretty Maids somewhere and maybe when I eventually unpack everything I might find it again!

Thanks

All caught up

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

bespangled

I say that anything that came after the shows ended is not canon. It can be au, fanfic, mental masturbation - but only the shows themselves were canon.
    Do you consider Fray , Tales of the Vampires , and Tales of the Slayers not canon? All those are included in what I refer to as the TV Buffyverse.

Stoney

* Joss Whedon wrote AtS: “Long Night’s Journey”. Joss said The Origin is essentially canon and he gave canon status to both Ring of Fire and Spike & Dru: “Paint the Town Red”. Scott Allie later didn’t include those in a list of ‘official canon’, but I don’t recall Joss Whedon’s ever invalidating their canon status.

* IDW’s Spike miniseries if canon essentially makes Spike: Asylum canon and perhaps Spike: Shadow Puppets as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,999 Times in 767 Posts

I consider only what happened on the tv screen to be canon. Anything other than that - paid or unpaid - is in the fanon universe. I can love it and want it to be real, but it's still not canon.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.