Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Passion of the Nerd - Buffy and Angel youtube videos

Thanks
    Thanked 2,978 Times in 1,171 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I'm a Lani fan and and Ian fan, so I might watch this. Anyone else?

They did a review together in Still Pretty for the episode Amends.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,799 Times in 1,588 Posts

I have no idea what it’s going to be. Therefore I will definitely give it a try.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

4. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,213 Times in 3,956 Posts

It might be terrible, but they seem to get on well and as long as they talk about something interesting, I think it could be entertaining. But we shall see

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,151 Posts

I'm sure It will revert to him getting pissed 'on air' as per.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-05-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    I'm sure It will revert to him getting pissed 'on air' as per.
    He even made a joke about that in the trailer. I think he must be well aware of his reputation and is playing upto it

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (30-05-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

It won't do his health or his creativity any good in the long run.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-05-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Not bad, but I feel he gets a tad distracted in his videos these days trying to be 'clever' and imo It doesn't always work.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Andrew S. (01-08-19),Priceless (31-07-19),SpuffyGlitz (01-08-19)

Thanks

Enjoyable video. Glad he likes Dawn, because I like Dawn. Love his Spike Don't Sparkle t-shirt. As for the review, I don't think he really says a lot about the episode, and certainly not in much depth. He does warn us that he won't say much, so I guess I can't be too critical.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (31-07-19),Silver1 (31-07-19)

Graveyard Patrol HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

He's a Dawn fan?

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Honestly, I really hate his no-spoiler policy. Not only is this show old as hell, but I really doubt that there are very many people who would watch it for the first time and bother to go on YouTube and watch detailed reviews on each and every episode immediately after watching said ep. I mean, I'm sure they exist, of course, but I doubt they make up a large amount of people. So what's the point? It seems that the majority of the people who watch and subscribe to POTN's videos are hardcore BtVS/AtS fans who have seen every episode. And it's taking him foreverrr to finish the series, so any first-time watcher who *does* watch his videos would either have to pause their watching of the show to wait for his videos to catch up or just forget about his vids entirely and move on.

There's so much foreshadowing and character arc setup in each episode and to ignore those things, just for the sake of keeping it spoiler-free, you end up missing out on layers of the show that are necessary to explore for comprehensive reviews like these.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Andrew S. For This Useful Post:

Priceless (01-08-19),Silver1 (01-08-19),Sosa lola (02-08-19),SpuffyGlitz (01-08-19),Stoney (01-08-19),vampmogs (01-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    He's a Dawn fan?
    All the best people are

Thanks
    Thanked 8,981 Times in 2,729 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S. View Post
    Honestly, I really hate his no-spoiler policy. Not only is this show old as hell, but I really doubt that there are very many people who would watch it for the first time and bother to go on YouTube and watch detailed reviews on each and every episode immediately after watching said ep. I mean, I'm sure they exist, of course, but I doubt they make up a large amount of people. So what's the point? It seems that the majority of the people who watch and subscribe to POTN's videos are hardcore BtVS/AtS fans who have seen every episode. And it's taking him foreverrr to finish the series, so any first-time watcher who *does* watch his videos would either have to pause their watching of the show to wait for his videos to catch up or just forget about his vids entirely and move on.

There's so much foreshadowing and character arc setup in each episode and to ignore those things, just for the sake of keeping it spoiler-free, you end up missing out on layers of the show that are necessary to explore for comprehensive reviews like these.
    I totally agree.

It seems like a bizarre decision but I wonder if it had to do with the fact that he was interacting with other reactors like ASR who wouldn't be able to watch and support him if he discussed future episodes? It really does hamper his ability to actually discuss the series fully, though. I also could've sworn that in his earlier reviews he regularly showed future scenes and clips when discussing an episode

I still maintain that he's pretty overrated. They're nothing more then glorified recaps these days and they rarely say anything new. Granted, it's hard to say much new about a 20 + year old series but I really don't get what the fuss is all about.
    - "The earth is doomed" -

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Andrew S. (02-08-19),BtVS fan (01-08-19),flow (01-08-19),Silver1 (01-08-19)

Bronze Party-Goer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vampmogs View Post
    I still maintain that he's pretty overrated. They're nothing more then glorified recaps these days and they rarely say anything new. Granted, it's hard to say much new about a 20 + year old series but I really don't get what the fuss is all about.
    Yeah, I was actually a fan of his a few years back but the lack of originality, the infrequency of his postings, along with the gratuitous ass-kissing from his fanbase ended up turning me off. I still consider his videos overall well-made though and I'll watch them simply because I really, really love watching video essays on my favorite shows/movies and the lack of video essays concerning Buffy on YouTube saddens me. The only non-POTN video essays on BtVS I've seen on YouTube was one about what makes a "Hush" a great episode and another about the evolution of Buffy's hair (which was way more interesting than one would expect it to be, LOL).

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew S. For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (02-08-19),flow (03-08-19),Silver1 (02-08-19),vampmogs (02-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,077 Times in 796 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S. View Post

Oddly enough I have a friend watching through the first time who hates spoilers - she watched POTN after each episode. It seemed to give her context. She's starting season 6, so no more POTN for her.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Andrew S. (03-08-19),flow (03-08-19),Priceless (03-08-19)

Thanks

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (14-08-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,799 Times in 1,588 Posts

He is answering fan questions about himself - not Buffy -. I am really happy for him his YouTube channel is such a success that he has fans and gives interviews. But it's nothing I am personally interested in.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (18-08-19),Silver1 (14-08-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Does anyone know why he does these 'drunk' live streams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aV-...eature=em-lbrm

He's done these drunk re watch streams before and I always find them to be terribly embarrassing viewing. I mean none of the participants come off particularly well so why demean yourself this way?

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (18-08-19),Priceless (18-08-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Does anyone know why he does these 'drunk' live streams?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aV-...eature=em-lbrm

He's done these drunk re watch streams before and I always find them to be terribly embarrassing viewing. I mean none of the participants come off particularly well so why demean yourself this way?
    I've never watched them. I think he does them as requests from Patreon sponsors maybe? Or he just thinks they're funny.

Slayer
    Thanks

Personally I think he thinks they're funny and It's yet another excuse to get pissed.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,826 Times in 2,099 Posts

Well - that's 60 seconds of my life I'll never get back. I think my internet's broken - I can only see boobies (in almost every sense of the word).

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

BtVS fan (19-08-19),HowiMetdaSlayer (19-08-19),Priceless (18-08-19),SpuffyGlitz (19-08-19)