Thread: Positives And Negatives - Season 1

Thanks
    Thanked 3,200 Times in 1,626 Posts

Default Positives And Negatives - Season 1

Copying Stoney's excellent Buffy thread Taking one episode a day, try to choose one thing about the episode that you think is positive and one thing that is negative. They don't have to be big things about the story, plots, characters (although they can be). This isn't intended to be an overview of what you think about the episode/season critically as a whole, so more superficial observations are also very welcome and may bring up some variety.

Feel free to comment/discuss any thoughts posted too (and also to join in ad hoc or play catch up too if you miss a day or so and want to).

Day 1 - City Of
    Day 2 - Lonely Heart
    Day 3 - In The Dark
    Day 4 - I Fall To Pieces
    Day 5 - Rm w/a Vu
    Day 6 - Sense and Sensitivity
    Day 7 - Bachelor Party
    Day 8 - I Will Remember You
    Day 9 - Hero
    Day 10 - Parting Gifts
    Day 11 - Sonambulist
    Day 12 - Expecting
    Day 13 - She
    Day 14 -I've Got You Under My Skin
    Day 15 - The Prodigal
    Day 16 - The Ring
    Day 17 - Eternity
    Day 18 - Five By Five
    Day 19 - Sanctuary
    Day 20 - War Zone
    Day 21 - Blind Date
    Day 22 - To Shanshu In LA

- - - Updated - - -

Day 1 - City Of

Positive: Angels pushing Winters through the window is just iconic and the best thing in the episode, setting up Angel's character going forward. Laughed out loud at Doyle telling Angel 'it's all about spreading hope and love and stuff' and then telling a beggar to 'get a job you lazy sow' I pretty much love everything Cordy does, and she's so great here, with her meditating and spotting Winters was a vamp.

Negative: Angel's 'you looked lonely so we've got something in common' line is just cringey. Oh and Angel surfing the net on 3 computers at once! I am sure this was going to be a 'thing' but thank the lord it was quickly dropped, it's just too silly

- - - Updated - - -

Day 2 - Lonely Heart

Positive:Cordy offering business cards in the club, so funny. I should also mention how good Angel looks. I am sure he didn't look this good on BtVS

Negative: Horrible introduction to Kate Lockley 'I'm a self-flagellating hypocrite slut' and then she over reacts to Angel being nice with 'I can do whatever I want and you can go to hell'. Yeah she's an undercover cop putting on an act, but still horrible. Cordy with absolutely no computer skills, when we saw her several times on BtVS in computer class, plus she's not an idiot.
    Never much cared for picket fences, anyway. Bloody dangerous.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (Yesterday),Stoney (11-06-18),TriBel (11-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,092 Times in 3,794 Posts

I probably won't be able to join for all of these, but I'll pop in as/when I can.

City Of....

Positive - As Pricey chose Angel shoving Winters through the window, I'm going to pick the double-staking at the start and the moody avenger (deliberately played) Batman thang Angel has going on. The tone of it is great and works well to start off what is a pretty strong series opener that sets the mood and basic premise really well.

Negative - Doyle's intro, showing he's part demon and then giving the summary on where Angel has come from, I find it just a bit too forced/awkward.

Lonely Heart

Positive - The developing vibe between Doyle/Cordelia/Angel is fun throughout and I really like how the episode bookends the going out or brooding in the dark options, ha.

Negative - Kate's strong belief/insistence Angel's the killer makes her look a little dense.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (Yesterday),Priceless (12-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,473 Times in 1,984 Posts

City Of...

Positives: The opening teaser. I love the shot of Angel staking both vamps with his Batman-esque stakes and I love how Angel shifts through multiple different personas (drunk, hero, monster) in the space of just a few minutes. I also really like Tina and she's probably my favourite one shot character in the series.

Negatives: I don't warm up to Doyle in this episode at all and Russel's vamp makeup is terrible

Lonely Hearts:

Positives: The action scenes are quite good and I like the ending where Angel is allowed to spend time alone in the dark. There's really nothing wrong with that and I appreciate that the show points that out at the end. I also actually like Kate's introduction as I consider her to be quite a tragic and sad figure whom I've come to appreciate more as I get older

Negatives: The main plot is pretty weak and lame. The bar fight also seems gratuitous and pointless.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (Yesterday),Stoney (12-06-18)

Thanks

Day 3 - In The Dark

Positive: Spike's monologues are funny and he and Angel are great in every scene together. Seeing Angel on fire, diving into the sea, then walking out of the water into the daylight was cool, and quite moving.

Negative: The Gem is a problem and I understand why Angel destroyed it, but I can't help thinking there should have been a way to keep the ring, because it would have come in so useful and Buffy wanted Angel to have it. Just seems such a waste.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (Yesterday)

Thanks

In the Dark

Positive - Spike's critique of Angel saving the woman is classic.

Negative - But generally he's made to be so idiotic in this it's ridiculous. He's employed a vampire as a torturer, someone else who would benefit from having the gem for themselves and will clearly betray him to get it. That's just dumb as hell. The whole tantrum ending with his head setting on fire at the end just epitomises the tone of his appearance. It's just one of those times they overdo stupidity in a character for comedy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (Yesterday)

Thanks

Day 4 - I Fall To Pieces

Positive: I like the Cordy/Angel dynamic here, she tells him to 'get over it', she's not putting up with his nonsense when they're trying to run a business. I actually like all three leads, they work well together and how could Doyle or Cordy not be attracted to Angel, he's a very attractive man

Negative: The doctor is incredibly creepy and stalking is a horrible crime. I really wish they had left it at that and not made it supernatural, though I guess that's the hook for the show. But they made a serious and disturbing crime just ridiculous and you just end up eye-rolling through the silliness of those hands in the bed.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (Yesterday)

Thanks

Day 4 - I Fall to Pieces

Positive - Angel in the cuddly jumper.

Negative - Should the dart really have worked on Angel when he has no blood flow? I appreciate his heart stopping wasn't really going to be a problem, but why did it knock him out at all???

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (Yesterday)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Our rats are low ... as in rats, I just watched these a week or so ago and I can't think just what I want to say on them yet, I'll have to go back and look again ... remind myself of a few things .....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Day 4 - I Fall to Pieces

Positive - Angel in the cuddly jumper.

Negative - Should the dart really have worked on Angel when he has no blood flow? I appreciate his heart stopping wasn't really going to be a problem, but why did it knock him out at all???
    He must have some kind of blood flow... after all, he gets erections and he bleeds.

He wouldn't do either if he didn't have some kind of rudimentary circulation. My guess would be that his blood diffuses rather than getting pumped around. Moving using his muscles would cause his blood to move. We know vampires are animated by their demon and that their muscles work...

Muscle tone is a large part of why we have venous return - as we move, and our muscles contract, it squeezes blood vessels, and forces the blood back toward the heart. A full complement of blood within the system helps maintain a blood pressure inside the vessels. Veins have one-way valves so any blood that gets forced forward, keeps progressing toward the heart instead of pooling in the feet, for example. Venous return is mostly passive. One the blood hits the arteries, I imagine instead of pooling, it is forced back into them because the muscles continue to push blood back up and it has to go somewhere, so it goes back out... just slowly.

Anything you put into a liquid eventually diffuses if it is at all soluble. Motion will speed that process. A dart forces stuff in, so that will also speed the diffusion process. Probably wouldn't work as well or last as long as something that was pushed through his body rapidly by his heart. But if it's powerful enough, it works.

Just as the poison slowly spread when Faith shot him with the arrow.

BTW: Passive circulation does occur, even in humans. Our lymphatic system is passive. There's no lymph pump, yet the lymph goes throughout the body. It is slower than blood, but blood only has to move fast in creatures who require oxygenated tissues.

NOTE: (This is all head canon, since as far as I know, vampires aren't real. :P It is based on my knowledge of the human circulatory system)

Less clear is why Spike choking Dru knocked her out (on Buffy). After all, it's not a need for oxygen. Maybe that too is based on blood flow being cut off... but no, I got nothing for you with that! But we see vampires get knocked out, so clearly brain function is a thing! Meh, the rules are unclear!!

btw, I love this episode. It's all about the victim taking back her power and becoming a survivor. I love Kate in this too!

Physiology of venous return, if you really care: http://teachmephysiology.com/cardiov...venous-return/

Lymph: https://health.howstuffworks.com/hum...ne-system5.htm

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DeepBlueJoy For This Useful Post:

Stoney (Yesterday)