Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Positives And Negatives - Season 1

Thanks

I'm a little late but I still want to try this. Thanks to Priceless for making me aware of this thread!

So I did half the season and will do the other half later.

01. City Of...

Positive

Angel's last scene at Wolfram & Hart is kind of iconic. A perfect scene to end the pilot in a memorable way.

Negative

Some of it doesn't make much sense to me, like why does Angel believe Doyle so quickly?

02. Lonely Heart

Positive

Angel being an introvert is respected and handled well.

Negative

The theme is handled in such a heavy way, it's laughable.

03. In The Dark

Positive

Seeing other characters from Buffy crossover grounds the show a bit and the interactions are all very fun to watch.

Negative

While I agree with Angel's decision to get rid of the gem and understand his reasoning, I wish it was for another reason.

04. I Fall To Pieces

Positive

I love the way the victim's feelings are what matters here and that she gets to take back some of her power.

Negative

A lot of it doesn't make sense. I don't see how detaching his body parts = being able to make his eyes float in the air?

05. Room W/A View

Positive

The introduction of Phantom Denis!!

Negative

I hate this line "I'm not a sniveling whiny little Cry-Buffy" and find the acting in that scene very distracting.

06. Sense and Sensitivity

Positive

This episode has a lot of funny moments. My favorite is probably Angel being self-conscious about vamping in front of Cordy and Doyle.

Negative

Kate's speech makes me cringe so much and it's not clear to me if we're supposed to take it seriously or not.

07. The Bachelor Party

Positive

I like that the episode focuses on one of the main characters and not the victim of the week.

Negative

I don't really find Doyle's backstory as a teacher believable.

08. I Will Remember You

Positive

Getting to see what Angel as a human and Buffy getting what she's always wanted. (I'm picking one element, I could pretty much list every single thing in this episode)

Negative

The story should have been a 2 parter, but at the same time it might have messed with the time element... Sorry, I got nothing, lol. Oh, Cordy's reaction to hearing some fighting in Angel's office? That was weird and I didn't care for it.

09. Hero

Positive

Dealing with a story like this in 1 episode, without ever revisiting it feels like a weird choice to me.

Negative

The way the video at the beginning is used at the end, and given a whole lot of meaning to it.

10. Parting Gifts

Positive

It's clear from his first episode that Wesley belongs in that universe and with Angel and Cordy.

Negative

The bit with Wesley trying to get his knife to untie Cordy feels interminable.

11. Somnanbulist

Positive

I like Angel/Cordy a lot in this. She refuses to believe the worst of him but will do whatever it takes if he goes bad again.

Negative

Jeremy Renner doesn't work at all for me in this role. I have trouble taking the character seriously.
    Last edited by Mylie; 14-08-18 at 05:37 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mylie For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,544 Times in 4,333 Posts

Great to see someone else joining in.

You've reminded me that not only am I horrifically behind on the start of the S2 thread for this, but I didn't finish S1 either!! I'll try to get to both before I go on my hols but I'm plate spinning erratically at the moment, ha.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Mylie (14-08-18)

Thanks

12. Expecting

Positive :

Charisma's acting is so good in this episode.

Negative :

I hate that the guys didn't pay any consequence for what they did to Cordy and those girls.

13. She

Positive :

Angel acting as a tour guide at the museum.

Negative :

Can I say the rest of the episode?

14. I've Got You Under My Skin

Positive :

The bits alluding to Wesley's trauma with his father.

Negative :

The parents were so creepy and I don't like the twist with the father.

15. The Prodigal

Positive :

Darla telling Angel that he didn't win and that he still cares about his father's approval.

Negative :

Kate's father. He feels a bit too awful. I feel like the writers should have given him some redeeming qualities if they wanted the audience to care about his death, other than him being Kate's father.

16. The Ring

Positive :

It's hard to pick just one because I love so many things about this episode but I'll go with Lilah's introduction!!!

Negative :

If there's one flaw with this episode is that it takes a bit too long to get into the real story. I think less time should have been spent on getting there.

17. Eternity

Positive :

It's always fun to see David Boreanaz have fun playing Angelus.

Negative :

Not much makes sense for me in this episode, especially the effect the drug has on Angel.

18. Five By Five

Positive :

The very last scene is one of the most iconic on the show. It's so sad, but visually stunning.

Negative :

Lee Mercer is so annoying!! That's all I have...

19. Sanctuary

Positive :

I absolutely adore the fact that Angel doesn't sugercoat what redemption is to Faith and that she makes the right decision in the end.

Negative :

I'm not a fan of the watcher's council being a part of this. I don't think they were needed. It could have been just the police being after Faith. But I guess the writers wanted the episode to have a bit more action.

20. War Zone

Positive :

This is a very good introduction to Gunn's character. He already feels like he has his own personality.

Negative :

I'm not a fan of David Nabbit in general and I think his storyline didn't bring much to the episode.

21. Blind Date

Positive :

The heist!!! It's such a fun and unexpected scene. I always laugh.

Negative :

I don't feel like Vanessa's character is developed enough. It's not something that prevents me from enjoying the episode but if I have to nitpick, I think it would have been more interesting to learn more about her.

22. To Shanshu in L.A.

Positive :

I love so much about this episode but I'd say the most memorable part for me is Angel's reaction to the Shanshu prophecy. I love its simplicity. It really works with his character.

Negative :

Again, David Nabbit... what was that opening scene? It was so awkward, and not in a good way.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mylie For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-08-18),Stoney (21-08-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,618 Posts

Again, David Nabbit... what was that opening scene? It was so awkward, and not in a good way.
    I've never understood the point of bringing David Nabbit back. He appears a couple of times and brings nothing to the show or the story as far as I can see.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Mylie (21-08-18)