Thread: The Handmaids Tale

Thanks
    Thanked 5,455 Times in 2,637 Posts

Default The Handmaids Tale

Anyone watching season 2? I've just watched the first episode and it was as powerful as I expected it to be.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (03-06-18),Silver1 (03-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 481 Posts

I have loved this story since the book came out - and the production is excellent!
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (03-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Anyone watching season 2? I've just watched the first episode and it was as powerful as I expected it to be.
    Maybe you should Immigrate because you are definitely having a Canadian day. The author, Margaret Atwood, is one of ours

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (04-06-18),Priceless (04-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    Maybe you should Immigrate because you are definitely having a Canadian day. The author, Margaret Atwood, is one of ours
    can I come too? So many of my very best friends are Canadian... but we're in the Commonwealth family, so not that great a surprise. Just b/c I live in the US doesn't mean my heart isn't in a tiny island in the Caribbean sea...
    Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 03-10-18 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks

You're more than welcome DBJ. CANADA had a huge influx of American refugee seekers during the Vietnam war and were only waiting for the next Trump wave. Basically be prepared to pay more taxes in exchange for free healthcare, an earlier thanksgiving, people who enjoy saying "sorry" a lot and putting a lot of unnecessary u's in words, an unbelievably robust selection of chip flavours (there's that "u"!), the metric system, love of humour (there's another "u"), no guns but great maternity benefits, cheaper education, regulated banks, colourful money (and there's another "u" and poutine aka gods gift to potatos (picture fries aka chips with gravy and cheese curds, and the highest per capital donut consumption in the world. Pour a little maple syrup on top and you've got CANADA. Sound good? Then come on up!!! It helps if you like to watch hockey for 10 months a year.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (04-06-18),HowiMetdaSlayer (03-10-18),Priceless (04-06-18)

Thanks

I would love to come to Canada! Would you put me up GoSpuffy?

Just watching episode 2 now and Alexis Bledel's character, Emily, breaks my heart. Nick just annoys me, he's so self serving, I'm just not sure what his real game is.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

DanSlayer (02-10-18),GoSpuffy (05-06-18)

Thanks

You're more than welcome DBJ. CANADA had a huge influx of American refugee seekers during the Vietnam war and were only waiting for the next Trump wave. Basically be prepared to pay more taxes in exchange for free healthcare, an earlier thanksgiving, people who enjoy saying "sorry" a lot and putting a lot of unnecessary u's in words, an unbelievably robust selection of chip flavours (there's that "u"!), the metric system, love of humour (there's another "u"), no guns but great maternity benefits, cheaper education, regulated banks, colourful money (and there's another "u" and poutine aka gods gift to potatos (picture fries aka chips with gravy and cheese curds, and the highest per capital donut consumption in the world. Pour a little maple syrup on top and you've got CANADA. Sound good? Then come on up!!! It helps if you like to watch hockey for 10 months a year.
    Wow. So many good reasons to come! Add to that the fact that a large number of my family already live in Canada! I used to play field hockey for about five minutes when I was a teenager, but I have never followed much of any televised game. Not big on *watching* any sport. Was a NASCAR fan for years, but they have become too corporate for it to be fun and my favorite drivers are all retired now, so i barely watch anymore. I have no problem with flavours, colours or labour. I also still get theatre tickets...

I love poutine, tea (more English than Canadian, I know) and maple syrup. I think going bankrupt for health care reasons is a sign of an immoral, inhumane system. I have no problem sharing the burden with my fellow citizens (paying more taxes) so everyone can get basic health care. Health is not a luxury. I have no issue with the metric system. I'm pretty much happy with either pounds or kilos and I know that at -40, it doesn't matter which temperature scale you use, it is bloody cold.

I'm almost Canadian already!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeepBlueJoy For This Useful Post:

DanSlayer (02-10-18),GoSpuffy (02-10-18)

Thanks

Of course!

I would love to come to Canada! Would you put me up GoSpuffy?

Just watching episode 2 now and Alexis Bledel's character, Emily, breaks my heart. Nick just annoys me, he's so self serving, I'm just not sure what his real game is.
    - - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlueJoy View Post
    Wow. So many good reasons to come! Add to that the fact that a large number of my family already live in Canada! I used to play field hockey for about five minutes when I was a teenager, but I have never followed much of any televised game. Not big on *watching* any sport. Was a NASCAR fan for years, but they have become too corporate for it to be fun and my favorite drivers are all retired now, so i barely watch anymore. I have no problem with flavours, colours or labour. I also still get theatre tickets...

I love poutine, tea (more English than Canadian, I know) and maple syrup. I think going bankrupt for health care reasons is a sign of an immoral, inhumane system. I have no problem sharing the burden with my fellow citizens (paying more taxes) so everyone can get basic health care. Health is not a luxury. I have no issue with the metric system. I'm pretty much happy with either pounds or kilos and I know that at -40, it doesn't matter which temperature scale you use, it is bloody cold.

I'm almost Canadian already!
    Sounds like you'll be totally at home!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

DanSlayer (02-10-18),DeepBlueJoy (05-06-18),Priceless (05-06-18)

Thanks

Just binge watched the first 3 episodes if S1. It's like driving by a car wreck and trying not to look. It's both fascinating yet horrifying. I'm scared of the future. Maybe I shouldn't have started right after the kavanagh testimony.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (02-10-18),Silver1 (02-10-18),TriBel (02-10-18)

Thanks

As another Canadian, I love this thread.

Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3fMs4HBh6c

(The alcohol in stores thing varies by province, they were speaking of Ontario).

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (02-10-18),Priceless (02-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,193 Posts

Just binge watched the first 3 episodes if S1. It's like driving by a car wreck and trying not to look. It's both fascinating yet horrifying. I'm scared of the future. Maybe I shouldn't have started right after the kavanagh testimony.
    Read the book (I love Atwood's early work) but haven't watched the TV series for exactly the reasons you state. TBH, the Kavanaugh testimony is the thing that made me so uncomfortable (read angry) about what I perceive as ambiguities in Buffy 12.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (02-10-18)

Thanks

This is so bleak to watch. Does it get any less depressing? I think the problem is that it is hitting too close to home with the deterioration we're seeing in the world these days.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (05-10-18),TriBel (05-10-18)

Thanks

This is so bleak to watch. Does it get any less depressing? I think the problem is that it is hitting too close to home with the deterioration we're seeing in the world these days.
    They take one step forward and two steps back. Some scenes are pretty harrowing

Thanks

They take one step forward and two steps back. Some scenes are pretty harrowing
    Ugh. I read the book in college a million years ago. I can't remember the ending. I'm thinking it's not happy.

Thanks

Ugh. I read the book in college a million years ago. I can't remember the ending. I'm thinking it's not happy.
    There's going to be a Season 2, so I think it's going to move away from the book.