View Poll Results: Is the show still worth watching?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely, it's better and better!

1 10.00%
  • Oh Heck No, it sucks dude!

1 10.00%
  • Yeah, you should watch, man!

2 20.00%
  • It's not that bad, don't you wanna see how it ends?

0 0%
  • Don't waste your time. It's over...

2 20.00%
  • Well, a whole heap o people die and it'll break your heart...

1 10.00%
  • Jerk! Bitch!

1 10.00%
  • Hey Assbutt!!

1 10.00%
  • I want to say something profound...

2 20.00%
  • Nope! I got nothing!

2 20.00%
  • Yeah, whatever! *rolls eyes*

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Supernatural still worth watching? Why, Why not? stopped in season 6/early 7

Thanks

Default Is Supernatural still worth watching? Why, Why not? stopped in season 6/early 7

I stopped watching way back in season 6 (beginning of season 7, actually) b/c I tuned in and found myself looking around going WTF? and No, they didn't.

Please be specific if you have a strong opinion, but don't give 'major spoilers' -- character deaths, resurrections, in particular. Yes, you can (please) describe in general terms the trajectory of the show and why this will or won't make a fan of 1-6 happy.

I am not really that concerned about being 'spoiled' but anyone else who hasn't been watching might be. Consider yourself warned readers, that there [strikethrough]may[/strikethrough] *will* be some unavoidable spoilers... If you really care about that, don't read further.

Otherwise, dear advisers, just don't tell us exactly how it ends, OK?

Btw: the poll is multiple choice. You can vote for more than one option.
    Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 03-06-18 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,127 Times in 995 Posts

I like Super Natural. It's filmed in my neighbourhood so it's fun to watch the back ground and see Queens Park or the house on the corner. I've been watching for so long those guys feel like real people. It's not trying to be something high brow just easy entertainment.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (03-06-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,549 Times in 1,210 Posts

Personally I have never understood the attraction of this show let alone how It's managed to stagger through sooooooooooooooo many seasons, whilst some other better written shows have not.

I've tried watching episodes down the years and found it to be just plain awful, and the acting (imo) to be not that much better (with the exception of that Angel guy).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (03-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,655 Times in 4,165 Posts

I watched the first five or six seasons, but the stories are the same; each of the brothers tend to die at the end of the seasons. The show has nothing to say, it's just two good looking men having an adventure. Eventually we got two other good looking men joining them, an angel and a devil, but those roles alternate and often the devil does good and the angel does bad.

It's easy television that doesn't ask you to think too deeply about anything serious. I still watch an episode here and there, mainly for Jensen Ackles I wish he'd done more in his career and his agent had encouraged him to try and do other things, because he's a good actor and could do more. Unlike Jared Padalecki, who is a horrible actor.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (03-06-18),Silver1 (03-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,190 Posts

Guilty pleasure for me I'm afraid. That said - I've just checked and I only have DVDs up to S8. This means a) I became disillusioned with it; b) I decided I was too old to be lusting after fictional characters or c) I gave myself a firm talking to about buying DVDs. It's possibly a combination of all three.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

bespangled (03-06-18),DeepBlueJoy (03-06-18),GoSpuffy (03-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,940 Times in 1,641 Posts

I asked my 22year old and he said: I`ll watch it until the bitter end. But it goes bat-shit crazy after season five or six or so. Then he mentioned about half a dozen or more characters, who have died and been resurrected, come back from death, come from other dimensions, to replace their dead doppelgängers and so on. It sounded, as if the Buffyverse resurrections are nothing in comparison.

Hope, that helped :-)

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

11. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (03-06-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I watched the first five or six seasons, but the stories are the same; each of the brothers tend to die at the end of the seasons. The show has nothing to say, it's just two good looking men having an adventure. Eventually we got two other good looking men joining them, an angel and a devil, but those roles alternate and often the devil does good and the angel does bad.

It's easy television that doesn't ask you to think too deeply about anything serious. I still watch an episode here and there, mainly for Jensen Ackles I wish he'd done more in his career and his agent had encouraged him to try and do other things, because he's a good actor and could do more. Unlike Jared Padalecki, who is a horrible actor.
    See yet again another mystery as I don't see them as being particularly good looking or even good actors. I think the word 'average' covers it for me.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (03-06-18),Priceless (03-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    See yet again another mystery as I don't see them as being particularly good looking or even good actors. I think the word 'average' covers it for me.
    Maybe Jensen Ackles just looks good next to Jared Padalecki JP does something so weird with his nose and mouth when asked to portray a strong emotion, it's quite off-putting.
    Last edited by Priceless; 03-06-18 at 01:06 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (03-10-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

I just find them both very bland actors myself, so quite why they seem to be this big attraction is one of life mysteries I'm afraid.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (03-10-18)

Thanks

And now i can't remember which one is which. The tall one (Sam) can sorta act IMO, the other one (Dean)... just plays himself, like Nick does in Buffy, but also like Nick does in Buffy, he really does embody that character very thoroughly, though I think Nick really does have more range - it helps to have a full complement of emotion (have you ever seen Nick as a bad guy? He is truly terrifying). Not sure I could ever see (Dean) play something different well, but he plays the same thing decently, at least he did for the first 6 seasons. I was hoping it would be the next Buffy fix for me, but it is far too repetitive for that.

In spite of the big fat arcs, the episodes have a rhythm to them that really reads like a Scooby Do episode... mystery. come to town. fix mystery. Dean flirts. his brother pouts. kills bad demons, almost go to jail/go to jail/escape jail. do it again next week.

But it was fun until the beginning of season seven and the religious iconography just got too labyrinthine for me. Also, depressing. And my life got in the way as well and it fell off the table. I always said that when the season was over I'd get the dvds and complete my collection... but I was expecting one more season. Not sure what happened.
    Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 03-06-18 at 01:50 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeepBlueJoy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-06-18),Silver1 (03-06-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

I hate to bang on but I've always found this show to be, well, repetitive bull crap of the worst order, which is why I keep saying I seriously don't get why It's been such a success where other (imo) more intelligent and creative shows have failed.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Personally I have never understood the attraction of this show let alone how It's managed to stagger through sooooooooooooooo many seasons, whilst some other better written shows have not.

I've tried watching episodes down the years and found it to be just plain awful, and the acting (imo) to be not that much better (with the exception of that Angel guy).
    Yes, Castiel and Bobby were my favorites, especially after John died (which sadly happened very early on). Both are better actors than the main and had meaty, funny, complex arcs... until they were dead and assorted other dead people apparently came back... sort of? Don't really understand what happened... (I have caught the occasional ad - haven't watched a full episode since season 6. I already have enough stuff taped that I am never gonna watch. I didn't need more). but this year, a couple shows have annoyed me enough that I won't be watching anymore. Never did like the actor, now no longer like the character either, and PP and DH are both gone, and the writing on NCIS has always been terrible and misogynist. so, i will have space.

SPN is definitely a show where you need to follow the back story, which makes it hard if you're not an insider... and harder to watch casually.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DeepBlueJoy For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (03-06-18)

Thanks

I think people still watch Supernatural for several reasons. Firstly it's habit. I stuck with ER right to the end even though it was awful, because I was simply in the habit and watched without thinking, it's just what happens after 10-12 seasons.

I think there is a thirst for sci-fi and fantasy shows on tv and there just aren't enough good ones, so people settle for the average and the bad, because that's all there is. The good stuff, the ones with depth and meaning, get cancelled far too quickly, while the mediocre, that rocks no boats, lasts for 20 seasons As DeepBlueJoy says, the show has a rhythm that's easy to follow and never deviates, the audience aren't asked to think about anything serious and are secure in the knowledge that there is no real jeaopardy, all the characters will survive and remain unchanged.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (03-06-18),DeepBlueJoy (03-06-18),Silver1 (03-06-18)

Thanks

I think people still watch Supernatural for several reasons. Firstly it's habit. I stuck with ER right to the end even though it was awful, because I was simply in the habit and watched without thinking, it's just what happens after 10-12 seasons.

I think there is a thirst for sci-fi and fantasy shows on tv and there just aren't enough good ones, so people settle for the average and the bad, because that's all there is. The good stuff, the ones with depth and meaning, get cancelled far too quickly, while the mediocre, that rocks no boats, lasts for 20 seasons As DeepBlueJoy says, the show has a rhythm that's easy to follow and never deviates, the audience aren't asked to think about anything serious and are secure in the knowledge that there is no real jeopardy, all the characters will survive and remain unchanged.
    Sounds like you summed up my suspicions about SPN.

Maybe if it ends up on netflix where i can watch 'in the background' I will watch it... but unless someone gives me the DVDs, it is no longer a must collect and these reviews kind of confirm that. Unlike Buffy, Angel, MASH, and for some reason One Tree Hill (which is so underrated, probably b/c it is actually a soap opera!), where the characters grow and change and get challenged, and you really don't know what's gonna happen, even though there's a guiding structure (fighting the good fight, in Buffy and Angel)... you can actually see the characters grow, and there's some really effective acting... and they make you laugh and cry and don't really bore you.

Yeah, I watched ER all the way through too even though at the end, though i missed more and more episodes. By the end, I barely recognized it and it was no longer the shiny, quirky show it had been initially. It became a straight up medical procedural/soap opera, and not in a good way, but the ending was OK enough.

Unlike a show such as NYPD Blue, it didn't grow minor characters into major characters enough (except for the one nurse, and the 'nurse who became a doctor, b/c doctors are cooler' - annoyed me, even though I always wanted to be a physician and became a nurse instead!) In NYPD Blue, Sipowicz truly became the show, and he was better and so much more than the pretty cops they started the series with.

Though shows like L&O and L&O SVU don't bore me, they're not that exciting either. They were never shows with grand arcs, and you can watch 'just one' anytime, because there's always a case that is absorbing enough, and the personal stuff seldom overwhelms it to the point where you can't follow the episodes. I am glad that L&O and SVU air on ION, b/c that's the best way to watch them... while cooking or cleaning (or pretending to clean.)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to DeepBlueJoy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-06-18)

Thanks

Unlike a show such as NYPD Blue, it didn't grow minor characters into major characters enough (except for the one nurse, and the 'nurse who became a doctor, b/c doctors are cooler' - annoyed me, even though I always wanted to be a physician and became a nurse instead!) In NYPD Blue, Sipowicz truly became the show, and he was better and so much more than the pretty cops they started the series with.
    I was really invested in NYPD Blue when it first started in the UK, it had such rave reviewes from the States. But after the first season, it began to bore me. I couldn't connect with Sippowicz as a character and not enough happened to the characters to make them interesting for me. I was hoping for something like Hill Street Blues or Homicide:Life on the Streets, with an ensemble cast.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (03-06-18)

Thanks

I was really invested in NYPD Blue when it first started in the UK, it had such rave reviewes from the States. But after the first season, it began to bore me. I couldn't connect with Sippowicz as a character and not enough happened to the characters to make them interesting for me. I was hoping for something like Hill Street Blues or Homicide:Life on the Streets, with an ensemble cast.
    I loved Homicide. It broke my heart when it ended before its time. I also loved HSB. Both were genre changing series, like Buffy was, IMO. A friend on TtH has been slowly writing a HSB crossover, with Nikki as the slayer. I hope he finishes it. It is good to see those characters again.

I think that Sipowicz is an acquired taste and some may not be able to acquire him I did not like him initially, and was disappointed that he'd stepped up into the lead role, but eventually, the show became more nuanced, and more like 'real police', with real life challenges (which were sometimes uncomfortable to watch, but the first responder in me recognizes some of those scenarios and I think some other first responders had that experience) Anyway, really came to appreciate his character. He was definitely not an 'obvious' lead for a hit show.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeepBlueJoy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-06-18),TimeTravellingBunny (03-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,127 Times in 995 Posts

I think it's been in so long it's become a fantasy genre soap opera if you will. You're watching because you're invested in the characters and you're watching the story of their lives unfold. Not unlike following a coronation street Type thing to see what happens to the characters over time. There were a couple of spotty seasons in the middle but I'd actually argue that couple of the most recent seasons might be among the best. Push through and it will get better is my advice. And enjoy the brotherly love, you don't see a lot of that on TV. Charmed got the sisters. SN got the brothers. And how can you not love a show with a million buffy references. They're small but they are there constantly. Example a character was called Tony Giles.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

33. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (03-06-18)

Thanks

They show Coronation Steet in Canada?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (03-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,817 Times in 2,275 Posts

I've never watched it - except for catching some random episodes of season 1 (I think) on TV, so my question is, is it worth watching at all?

I would also like to clarify that I don't find Jensen Ackles hot nor Jared Padalecki. So, is it worth watching if you don't find either of the leads hot?
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (03-06-18),Silver1 (03-06-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Somehow I doubt it, because If you want good writing you wouldn't be watching this show.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post: