Thread: The Quote Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,261 Times in 481 Posts

Default The Quote Thread

Having gone through multiple banning - I hereby initiate the quote thread.

Words that touch you - words that make you laugh - words you just want to share.
    It is only fitting that I begin with Terry Pratchett - DEATH, and his granddaughter Susan. Some quotes you have to build to.

“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”
    ― Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (14-06-18),Ebdim9th (27-07-18),flow (25-05-18),Priceless (25-05-18),Rebcake (25-05-18),SpuffyGlitz (25-05-18),Stoney (26-05-18),TimeTravellingBunny (15-06-18),TriBel (25-05-18)

Thanks

I'm sorry about the bannings. Urgh.

However, you've put the bar pretty high there with that quote. I'll have to really work to come up with something that comes close.
    Weird love is better than no love — Buffy Summers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebcake For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (27-07-18)

Thanks

I adore the bannings!

And I too worship Terry Pratchett!
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (27-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (25-05-18),Stoney (26-05-18),TriBel (25-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,869 Times in 1,194 Posts

I'm sorry about the bannings. Urgh.
    In mitigation, she deserved them!

I love this:

“It's nice when grown people whisper to each other under the covers. Their ecstasy is more leaf-sigh than bray and the body is the vehicle, not the point. They reach, grown people, for something beyond, way beyond and way, way down underneath tissue. They are remembering while they whisper the carnival dolls they won and the Baltimore boats they never sailed on. The pears they let hang on the limb because if they plucked them, they would be gone from there and who else would see that ripeness if they took it away for themselves? How could anybody passing by see them and imagine for themselves what the flavour would be like? Breathing and murmuring under covers both of them have washed and hung out on the line, in a bed they chose together and kept together nevermind one leg was propped on a 1916 dictionary, and the mattress, curved like a preacher's palm asking for witnesses in His name's sake, enclosed them each and every night and muffled their whispering, old-time love. They are under the covers because they don't have to look at themselves anymore; there is no stud's eye, no chippie glance to undo them. They are inward toward the other, bound and joined by carnival dolls and the steamers that sailed from ports they never saw. That is what is beneath their undercover whispers.”

Toni Morrison, Jazz

This just makes me laugh:

“25 And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying 'Where is the flaming sword that was given unto thee?'
    26 And the Angel said, 'I had it here only a moment ago, I must have put it down some where, forget my own head next.'
    27 And the Lord did not ask him again.”

Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

bespangled (25-05-18),Ebdim9th (27-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (25-05-18),TimeTravellingBunny (15-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,466 Times in 2,644 Posts

From The House At Pooh Corner by AA Milne

'Pooh, promise you won't forget about me, ever. Not even when I'm a hundred'
    Pooh thought for a little. 'How old shall I be be then?'
    'Ninety-nine.'
    Pooh nodded. 'I promise,' he said.
    Still with his eyes on the world Christopher Robin put out a hand and felt for Pooh's paw.
    'Pooh,' said Christopher Robin earnestly, 'if I - if I'm not quite - ' he stopped and tried again 'Pooh, whatever happens, you will understand, won't you?'

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (26-05-18),DeepBlueJoy (14-06-18),Ebdim9th (27-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (25-05-18),TriBel (25-05-18)

Thanks

“The secret of the Great Stories is that they have no secrets. The Great Stories are the ones you have heard and want to hear again. The ones you can enter anywhere and inhabit comfortably. They don’t deceive you with thrills and trick endings. They don’t surprise you with the unforeseen. They are as familiar as the house you live in. Or the smell of your lover’s skin. You know how they end, yet you listen as though you don’t...In the Great Stories you know who lives, who dies, who finds love, who doesn’t. And yet you want to know again. That is their mystery and their magic.”

“And the air was full of Thoughts and Things to Say. But at times like these, only the Small Things are ever said.
    The Big Things lurk unsaid inside.”

“Insanity hovered close at hand, like an eager waiter at an expensive restaurant.”

― Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things

"By and by all trace is gone, and what is forgotten is not only the footprints but the water too and what it is down there. The rest is weather. Not the breath of the disremembered and unaccounted for, but wind in the eaves, or spring ice thawing too quickly. Just weather. Certainly no clamor for a kiss."

― Toni Morrison, Beloved.
    Last edited by SpuffyGlitz; 25-05-18 at 11:01 PM.
    I want the fire back. - Buffy Summers

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

bespangled (26-05-18),Ebdim9th (27-07-18),Priceless (25-05-18),TriBel (25-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 615 Posts

Two of my favourite quotes:

"Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends, and break all bonds of fellowship; but it is not this day! An hour of wolves, and shattered shields, when the Age of Men comes crashing down; but it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"

Aragorn at the black gate

And

"Maybe you don't need the whole world to love you. Maybe you just need one person."- Kermit The Frog

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

bespangled (26-05-18),DeepBlueJoy (14-06-18),Ebdim9th (27-07-18),flow (26-05-18),Priceless (26-05-18),SpuffyGlitz (26-05-18),Stoney (26-05-18),TriBel (26-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    From The House At Pooh Corner by AA Milne

'Pooh, promise you won't forget about me, ever. Not even when I'm a hundred'
    Pooh thought for a little. 'How old shall I be be then?'
    'Ninety-nine.'
    Pooh nodded. 'I promise,' he said.
    Still with his eyes on the world Christopher Robin put out a hand and felt for Pooh's paw.
    'Pooh,' said Christopher Robin earnestly, 'if I - if I'm not quite - ' he stopped and tried again 'Pooh, whatever happens, you will understand, won't you?'
    So...Is Christopher Robin worried about Alzheimer's? Bugger me...that's sad.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

bespangled (26-05-18),DeepBlueJoy (14-06-18),Ebdim9th (27-07-18)

Thanks

“Then I felt something inside me break and music began to pour out into the quiet. My fingers danced; intricate and quick they spun something gossamer and tremulous into the circle of light our fire had made. The music moved like a spiderweb stirred by a gentle breath, it changed like a leaf twisting as it falls to the ground, and it felt like three years Waterside in Tarbean, with a hollowness inside you and hands that ached from the bitter cold.”
    ― Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

“The Waystone was his, just as the third silence was his. This was appropriate, as it was the greatest silence of the three, wrapping the others inside itself. It was deep and wide as autumn’s ending. It was heavy as a great river-smooth stone. It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die.”
    ― Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind
    Last edited by bespangled; 26-05-18 at 11:07 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (27-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (26-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 Times in 887 Posts

“In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.”

― Jane Austen, Pride And Prejudice

....sigh....

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

bespangled (26-05-18),Ebdim9th (27-07-18),Priceless (26-05-18),SpuffyGlitz (26-05-18),TriBel (26-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 615 Posts

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world: indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.
    — Margaret Mead

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

bespangled (14-06-18),DeepBlueJoy (14-06-18),Ebdim9th (27-07-18),flow (14-06-18),Priceless (14-06-18),SpuffyGlitz (14-06-18),Stoney (14-06-18),TriBel (14-06-18)

Thanks

...dreams are meaningful when you work toward them in the real world. If you merely live within the dreams of other people it's no different from being dead.

- Major Motoko Kusanagi, Ghost in the Shell, Stand Alone Complex.

I have this up on the shelf next to my bed. The other quote up there is a Buffy quote:

"And some of us will die in this battle. Decide now that it's not going to be you."

- Buffy Summers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Season Seven.

Both of these are deeply personally meaningful to me. I put the Buffy one up while I was in nursing school. The GITS one when I started struggling with writer's block.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DeepBlueJoy For This Useful Post:

bespangled (14-06-18),flow (14-06-18),Priceless (14-06-18),SpuffyGlitz (14-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,145 Times in 887 Posts

“Besides, the world isn't split into good people and Death Eaters. We've all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That's who we really are.”

-Sirius Black-

J.K.Rowling, Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

bespangled (14-06-18),DeepBlueJoy (15-06-18)

Thanks

"It occurred to me that at one point it was like I had two diseases - one was Alzheimer's, and the other was knowing I had Alzheimer's" - Terry Pratchett

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (15-06-18),Stoney (14-06-18),TimeTravellingBunny (15-06-18),TriBel (19-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,584 Times in 4,346 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    "It occurred to me that at one point it was like I had two diseases - one was Alzheimer's, and the other was knowing I had Alzheimer's" - Terry Pratchett
    I love that.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TriBel (19-06-18)

Thanks

“What a strange world it is where you can have as much sex as you like but love is taboo. I'm talking about the real thing, the grand passion, which may not allow affection or convenience or happiness. The truth is that love smashes into your life like an ice floe, and even if your heart is built like the Titanic you go down. That's the size of it, the immensity of it. It's not proper, it's not clean, it's not containable.”

― Jeanette Winterson, The Powerbook

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (19-06-18),SpuffyGlitz (19-06-18)