Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 53 of 53

Thread: Things I love to read in fanfics....

  1. #41
    Scooby Gang GoSpuffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    753
    Thanks
    1,924
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 853 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I agree with you, but only when it's the two of them. I like the time travel stories for the same reasons. It gets the two of them away from the scoobies and out of Sunnydale. They've only got themselves to rely on and no one to tell them that relying on each other is wrong.
    I don't mind extra characters but when they are away from everyone and have to rely on each other and suddenly they realize they trust and want each other, always a good thing.


    I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (16-10-18)

  3. #42
    Graveyard Patrol ghoststar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    310
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 632 Times in 243 Posts

    Default

    I really like stories that make Spike’s long-term development about learning by experience, rather than about the chip or the soul. Not that either of those things is bad per se, but I like the “What if he was ‘free’ at X time?” angle. There’s a lot of room for more nuance than we got in the show. I don’t think that Spike would permanently stay on pigs’ blood, but I also think that “Crush” indicated a much lower willingness to participate in the killing of innocent humans—or at least to kill them in Buffy’s town— than we saw in “Smashed,” even though he was merely an accessory in “Crush.” Sadly, there aren’t a lot of fics on the subject that don’t try to reduce it to “Spike would neeever!,” but I treasure the ones that exist.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ghoststar For This Useful Post:

    GoSpuffy (17-10-18),Sosa lola (17-10-18)

  5. #43
    Moderator Sosa lola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The basement
    Posts
    3,169
    Thanks
    1,979
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,108 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I agree with you, but only when it's the two of them. I like the time travel stories for the same reasons. It gets the two of them away from the scoobies and out of Sunnydale. They've only got themselves to rely on and no one to tell them that relying on each other is wrong.
    I'm the opposite. I enjoy ensemble fics more, whether it's Spuffy or Spander or anything. I just love the variety of relationships. I'm actually interested to read fics that focus on characters who don't interact much and explore what they have in common like Spike/Willow, Xander/Tara, Anya/Buffy, Dawn/Anya.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

  6. #44
    Moderator Sosa lola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The basement
    Posts
    3,169
    Thanks
    1,979
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,108 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ghoststar View Post
    I really like stories that make Spike’s long-term development about learning by experience, rather than about the chip or the soul. Not that either of those things is bad per se, but I like the “What if he was ‘free’ at X time?” angle. There’s a lot of room for more nuance than we got in the show. I don’t think that Spike would permanently stay on pigs’ blood, but I also think that “Crush” indicated a much lower willingness to participate in the killing of innocent humans—or at least to kill them in Buffy’s town— than we saw in “Smashed,” even though he was merely an accessory in “Crush.” Sadly, there aren’t a lot of fics on the subject that don’t try to reduce it to “Spike would neeever!,” but I treasure the ones that exist.
    I agree so much! I love when characters grow by experience.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

  7. #45
    Slayer Priceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,037
    Thanks
    8,590
    Thanked 7,577 Times in 3,624 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    I'm the opposite. I enjoy ensemble fics more, whether it's Spuffy or Spander or anything. I just love the variety of relationships. I'm actually interested to read fics that focus on characters who don't interact much and explore what they have in common like Spike/Willow, Xander/Tara, Anya/Buffy, Dawn/Anya.
    I do enjoy Dawn fics, especially when she's interacting with Spike. But as I've said before, I'm more interested in the ship then the characters. I live for Spuffy and reading a fic about Anya chatting to Tara just doesn't really interest me. Those gen fics have to be written incredibly well to keep me interested.

  8. #46
    Moderator Sosa lola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The basement
    Posts
    3,169
    Thanks
    1,979
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,108 Posts

    Default

    You're a ship fan, then, like my sister - I tried to get her to read gen, she would never read anything if it's not Spander. I'm more of a character fan. I love to read about Xander with other characters whether it's a ship or a friendship fic.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (17-10-18),Puppet (11-11-18)

  10. #47
    Slayer Priceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,037
    Thanks
    8,590
    Thanked 7,577 Times in 3,624 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    You're a ship fan, then, like my sister - I tried to get her to read gen, she would never read anything if it's not Spander. I'm more of a character fan. I love to read about Xander with other characters whether it's a ship or a friendship fic.
    I am very much a ship fan I do read other fics, including gen and other ships, but my heart will always belong to Spuffy.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

    GoSpuffy (17-10-18)

  12. #48
    Graveyard Patrol ghoststar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    310
    Thanks
    217
    Thanked 632 Times in 243 Posts

    Default

    Another thing that I really like is when writers explore what it would mean to be the Key. Wouldn't you want to explore that, if you thought you contained/were some ancient mystical energy? Especially if you otherwise felt bland and out of place among superhumans? I think most people would, especially people who are as curious and driven as Dawn. The show largely drops the subject, outside of Willow threatening to turn Dawn back into a ball of energy in "Two to Go." But just ignoring it never made sense to me. It's particularly egregious when you find out in "CWDP" that Dawn is working pretty advanced magic herself. She's more advanced than Willow was after the same time of study. (Recall that Willow couldn't even control a pencil in "Doppelgangland," close to a year after she'd begun learning spells.) That... sounds like a Key thing. Does it make working magic easier? Safer? More dangerous? I can't imagine that nobody would wonder about it. Then there's that stupid scene in "Get It Done," when Willow claims she drew on Kennedy to open a portal because Kennedy was "the strongest person in the room," which makes absolutely no sense when you consider how much power is bundled into Dawn and its relationship to portals. Sure, Kennedy's a potential, but Buffy's an actual Slayer, yet Willow had previously threatened to use Dawn, not Buffy, as a power source. Even if there was only one occasion when Dawn's blood would've opened every dimension at once, it's got to still be a factor. A fingerstick or used maxi should've yielded enough power to force open one measly little door that the Shadow Men intended to be opened anyway. And then there's the species aspect. Do human balls of energy age? Do they "die," or just turn back into energy? We know the Key was alive, but was it a sentient individual before the monks transformed it into Dawn? Where to balls of energy go when they die? I haven't seen all of this addressed in fic, but I've found a handful of ficlets that address bits and pieces of the Dawn puzzle, and I love them.

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ghoststar For This Useful Post:

    flow (11-11-18),GoSpuffy (20-10-18),Priceless (20-10-18),Stoney (20-10-18)

  14. #49
    Sunnydale High Student Puppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 185 Times in 63 Posts

    Default

    Time travel. I will read anything at least once if it involves time travel. It doesn't even have to be Spuffy. I read this great Cangel time travel fic ages ago. And one where the AI team, sans Wes, travel back to the days of Evil!Wig!Angelus. Time travel is my lifeblood (unless it is William in the lead, instead of Spike )

    I'm a sucker for great, big, epic, ensemble fics. Origins, the Players verse and such come to mind. Shove as many characters as you can in there, give each of them at least a somewhat important role to play (yes, even Andrew) and write great, big, bloody fight sequences, and I am all over that (like white on rice!)

    I will generally read everything once (that's why I can actually recommend a good incest fic, shocking, I know) but I have my preferences. Obviously things like in-character voices are a given. I love AU universes, whether they only change a few small details or the whole world is unrecognizable. I love body switches, and de-agings, and gritty, gnarly angst with no HEA in sight, and fluffy, teeth-decaying, HEA fics.

    I don't really discriminate much :P

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (11-11-18),SpuffyGlitz (11-11-18)

  16. #50
    Moderator Sosa lola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    The basement
    Posts
    3,169
    Thanks
    1,979
    Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,108 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puppet View Post
    Time travel. I will read anything at least once if it involves time travel.
    I adore time travel! I've written a Spander one a long time ago and I need to finish my Spuffy one with Xander being zapped to S1 and so over everything teenagery.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

    Puppet (11-11-18)

  18. #51
    Slayer Priceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,037
    Thanks
    8,590
    Thanked 7,577 Times in 3,624 Posts

    Default

    Time travel. I will read anything at least once if it involves time travel. It doesn't even have to be Spuffy. I read this great Cangel time travel fic ages ago. And one where the AI team, sans Wes, travel back to the days of Evil!Wig!Angelus. Time travel is my lifeblood (unless it is William in the lead, instead of Spike )
    I've been requesting some Cangel recs for ages and no-one has recommended anything, so if you know any great Cangel fics, I'm always up for them

  19. #52
    Sunnydale High Student Puppet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    66
    Thanks
    129
    Thanked 185 Times in 63 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I've been requesting some Cangel recs for ages and no-one has recommended anything, so if you know any great Cangel fics, I'm always up for them
    A Stitch in Time by Yahtzee - This is Gen, but it's the second one I mentioned about AI time travel.

    Incense and Peppermint by David Falkayn - I think this is Cangel, I know this is time travel.

    Two Steps Back by Yahtzee - This is the Cangel one I mentioned, though it's mostly introspective Angel for the larger part. I re-read this last month and it still holds up. Great originality for the time travel part, too.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puppet For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (11-11-18),Silver1 (11-11-18)

  21. #53
    Slayer Priceless's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,037
    Thanks
    8,590
    Thanked 7,577 Times in 3,624 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Puppet View Post
    A Stitch in Time by Yahtzee - This is Gen, but it's the second one I mentioned about AI time travel.

    Incense and Peppermint by David Falkayn - I think this is Cangel, I know this is time travel.

    Two Steps Back by Yahtzee - This is the Cangel one I mentioned, though it's mostly introspective Angel for the larger part. I re-read this last month and it still holds up. Great originality for the time travel part, too.
    Thank you Puppet! These are now on my reading list

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

    Puppet (11-11-18)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •