Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wooded Path by Linnae13 starting on 1st June 2018

Thanks

how do you lot feel about three ways that are actually spuffy?

And why yes, there IS a reason I ask.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,910 Times in 4,289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DeepBlueJoy View Post
    how do you lot feel about three ways that are actually spuffy?

And why yes, there IS a reason I ask.
    For me, it would depend on who the third was, and where the story went

Thanks
    Thanked 13,840 Times in 5,734 Posts

I've read quite a few Spuffy stories that start in a Buffy/Angel/Spike scenario, often from times Angel is unsouled. Part way through, or towards the end, Buffy and Spike choose to be together, and I've enjoyed some of those well enough (you get varying degrees of consent issues and Angel bashing in these often though which might put other people off). If it is an an ongoing threesome as a preferred or permanent thing I'm not likely to be interested personally. Whilst we know it's canon he'll accept it, I just don't see that making Spike truly happy and be something he'd want. Not with him staying in good characterisation, so I'd skip anything like that personally. But I'm never going to keep up with all the stories you read anyway.

I think a mix of all types of general Spuffy stories, types/settings/lengths etc should be considered. I'm looking forward to us doing the short stories mentioned as it will be easier to slot in reading one around the other things I'm committed to.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (03-06-18),SpuffyGlitz (03-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,072 Times in 1,200 Posts

I have read a couple of Buffy/Xander/Spike stories in the past which I loved. I'm not much of a threesome fan, even though I've read a lot of them. Of course Xander has to be in it. My list was:

1) Xander/Spike/Angel
    2) Xander/Spike/Angelus
    3) Xander/Spike/Buffy
    4) Xander/Spike/Giles
    5) Xander/Giles/Wesley
    6) Xander/Giles/Oz
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Thanks

I finally finished this story. I'm actually quite fond of stories that change the setting/details of the characters into an AU, so that didn't put me off at all. It's interesting to see what character traits the writer decides to keep and emphasise through a reimagined meeting/context. I don't think this was the strongest of this type that I've read but I did enjoy it overall as a read. I didn't feel the character voicing was as strong as I generally like it to remain even through the changed universe. The aspect I found disconnected me the most was the sense of destiny to their meeting/relationship. Although the knowledge and awareness of Buffy's grandmother in what was going to happen in Buffy's life was an interesting aspect, the connection between her/Spike felt too placed as fate/destiny for me. Her ability to hear him in her mind because of her magic also was just too easy and unearned. I wish the connection between them had built from more than the blood connection and his awakening of her power. Tying it with her sexual maturity too just, for me, lessened it a little as well. What was between them didn't focus on their personalities but this destined physical bond and I found that less interesting than seeing how they bounce off each other more.

Although Buffy felt very different her story is still about coming to terms with an innate power in herself and believing in her strength/capability and that was intriguingly reimagined. I liked the side story about her distance from the local people but how they relied on her and how that sat against the verse too. I also enjoyed the tension of the plot with the coven and wish more had been made/explained about the forest threats as that was an intense aspect which felt a little too easily moved past early on. I think more could have been made of that for sure. The varying setting switches and the background stories were good and enjoyable, I just wished the relationship dynamic between the two of them had been built more on their characters interacting rather than linked to this bond aspect. Definitely an enjoyable read that offered something a bit different and managed to apply certain parts of the character stories/trials in an interesting way.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (06-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,134 Times in 1,712 Posts

Hey Stoney,

thanks you so much for coming back to this thread and leaving your opinion on this fic.

I`d like to know (not having read it), how much of the story - in your opinion - is BtVS and how much is more of an original story. What put me off this fic was mainly, that I did not recognize the characters (aside from them being called Buffy and Spike) or the setting at all.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Hey Stoney,

thanks you so much for coming back to this thread and leaving your opinion on this fic.

I`d like to know (not having read it), how much of the story - in your opinion - is BtVS and how much is more of an original story. What put me off this fic was mainly, that I did not recognize the characters (aside from them being called Buffy and Spike) or the setting at all.

flow
    No problem flow. I might be sloooooow, but I get there eventually.

It isn't based in the verse. The character names have been used of course and Spike is a vampire but whilst Buffy is not an average/normal person slayers aren't part of the story at all. The characters' histories are different and the setting is completely unrelated to BtVS as you know it. This kind of total setting change doesn't put me off because I do find it interesting to see what aspects of the verse the writer keeps - character traits, plots/themes. It can be quite interesting to see a main character issue explored in a different context. And there are definitely ties in this one to some of the issues questioned in verse over power, other people's response to power, social hierarchies and how differences can separate you, questions over innate evil/human cruelty as well as supernatural threats, as examples. But it isn't written as if it is set in the BtVS verse no. Personally I like these total setting changes more when the character voicing still rings truer to the verse characters than you got here. Here they did feel more like distinct characters than you sometimes get, even if the setting is completely switched, but those thematic links still pull the verse characters to mind some.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (06-07-18)