Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 30 Days of Angel

Thanks
    Thanked 8,756 Times in 3,642 Posts

Day 5 As I'm deliberately not counting Angel as an option, I think I'll go for Illyria. Her emotionally devoid behaviour towards everyone as they are reeling from Fred's death and trying to stop her is great. She's an interesting character and when she finds she is trapped in her 'shell' her exploration of human emotions and interactions is a fascinating response. She's just a great character. The only thing against her I think is that the most direct damage she did was in killing Fred and that was in great part executed by Knox, even if Illyria was the weapon.

Holland Manners also came to mind, but I'm sticking with Illyria.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Fool for Buffy (18-05-18)

Bronze Party-Goer Fool for Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Day 5: Does Illyria count? She was pretty spectacular. If not, I'd like to cheat and say the senior partners, just because they are pure evil and monster and created so much of the show's dark side.
    Hello cutie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 591 Posts

Day 3 - An episode that made you laugh/happy - Spin the Bottle was incredibly funny!

Day 4 - An episode that makes you sad Hero! I remember crying so hard when Angel and Cordelia were watching the tape with Doyle.

Day 5 - Best Monster Does Lilah count? She's my favorite evil in the series.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Thanks
    Thanked 3,832 Times in 1,739 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    Day 3 - An episode that made you laugh/happy - Spin the Bottle was incredibly funny!

Day 4 - An episode that makes you sad Hero! I remember crying so hard when Angel and Cordelia were watching the tape with Doyle.

Day 5 - Best Monster Does Lilah count? She's my favorite evil in the series.
    How did I forget about Hero? Can I change my answer, or add to it?

I really don't know how to answer the Best Monster one, since I don't know what "Monster" is supposed to mean. Is it the narrow or wider definition? Does Darla count? If so, then Darla.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Stoney (19-05-18)

Thanks

Day 6 Worst Monster - the doctor from I Fall to Pieces Pointless, oddly funny, and disturbing. Di d anyone else wonder where his manly bits stayed?
    Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape. - Terry Pratchett

Thanks

Day 6 Yes, I'll go with the guy in I Fall to Pieces. Creepy but also ridiculous.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,306 Posts

Day 6 Worst Monster Agree with everyone who's said I Fall To Peices, just stupid

Thanks

Day 6: Worst Monster of AtS

Of the 'major' ones, Wesley in AtS S3. Angel can revert to Angelus. Wesley did a lot of research. Angel does kill Connor. Connor is the son of Angel and evil Darla. Holtz didn't want to kill Connor and Connor would certainly live a better life with Holtz than with Angel (when he'd mostly be a very vulnerable target for Angel's multitude of enemies).

Angel tries to kill Wesley. Angel's eviler here than The Mayor is in "Graduation Day Part II" (B 3.22) when the Mayor tries to kill Buffy.

Gunn and Fred side with Angel because Angel is their boss and source of their Angeleno lifestyles. They both actually like Wes more by this time yet stay more loyal to their income.

Thanks

Day 6: Worst Monster - Easy. The Beast. I don't care if any episodic monsters that I have forgotten about may have been cheesy, the Beast was just boring and stupid and the worst major villain. The stalker dude from I Fall to Pieces was much better - he was genuinely creepy, and he actually represented something from real life that is genuinely scary and that many women have to deal with. The Beast was just blah - what metaphor was that supposed to be? None. It's like something from a bad B horror movie.

Quote Originally Posted by bespangled View Post
    Day 6 Worst Monster - the doctor from I Fall to Pieces Pointless, oddly funny, and disturbing. Di d anyone else wonder where his manly bits stayed?
    If AtS had been on HBO, he probably would have used his penis rather than his hands to sexually assault the woman while she was sleeping.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Stoney (19-05-18)

Thanks

Day 6: The I Fall to Pieces dude was definitely weird. If we're talking major monsters I'd say Holtz.
    Hello cutie

Thanks

Day 7 - An Episode that Scares You I can't say any episode really scared me, but I don't remember a lot of the episodes very well. Spike getting his arms cut off in Damage was probably the most horrific thing I remember and an image that stays with me.

Day 8 - Your Favourite Female Character Cordelia Chase was the heart of this show for three seasons. She was the most interesting, grew most as a character and made the other characters more interesting just by interacting with them. She was wonderful and I hate what they did to her, she deserved so much more.

Thanks

I'm totally failing to keep track of where we are up to with these so I'm just answering the same questions Pricey has done.

Day 7 An episode that scares me, hmm, I can't remember being scared as such. Angel being buried at sea was a horrifying thing to happen, but for a specific episode I think I'll go for Hell Bound. The imagery and darkness of what Spike is experiencing is really sinister and bleak. Then how Pavayne is trapped for eternity at the end is pretty chilling.

Day 8 Darla's arc on AtS was great and shows the difference when they go for properly exploring a character in contrast to how she was used on BtVS. Her history and her relationship with Angel are just really interesting. Plus her sacrifice for Connor is one of the most moving displays of love in the verse. Lots of layers and complex characterisation, so she's a winner.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (Yesterday)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

Day 8: Your Favorite Female Character of AtS

* Illyria. Even in A&F S9, I consider Drusilla a BtVS character.

Illyria is great in AtS S5 and Illyria: Haunted is one of the best possibly canon comics/comics arc in post-AtS S5.

* Faith is too sullied by post-BtVS 8.40, and Faith is a BtVS character even in A&F.

* Cordelia is all because of Jasmine and I can't get past the personal things with Charisma Carpenter. David Boreanaz, Alexis Denisof etc. were very grateful for AtS and being employed and such. CC bragged that AtS shot at Paramount Pictures while BtVS shot in crappy warehouses. CC said she'd be a better Buffy and should have been Buffy instead of Sarah Michelle Gellar. CC implied she was a better actor than SMG.

And her complaints about the Connor thing are also appalling. She complained more than Alyson Hannigan did about Willow's suddenly being a lesbian (almost none), more than Aly did about Willow/Kennedy (almost none). There was never going to be a Angel/Cordy forever. Angel and Cordy weren't going to have a child.

AtS S4 vastly oversold the importance of Cordy in the Fang Gang. She was never even its leader and AtS S4 acts as if Cordy is around the same special-ness and "champion-ness" as Angel.

Charisma Carpenter was eye candy. Cordelia was never a very popular character. Ratings for AtS S5 increased when AtS replaced both Cordy and Connor with Spike. Ratings would have increased if Cordy was replaced with Faith. Even Joss's threats against SMG in BtVS (Dawn the Vampire Slayer) and BtVS S7 (both Dawn the Vampire Slayer and Faith the Vampire Slayer) only didn't have weight because James Marsters was loyal to SMG.

Thanks

Day 7: Hell-Bound is very scary. Poor Spike.

Day 8: Fred, no contest. Love her to death
    Hello cutie

Thanks

Day 7 - An Episode that Scares You - Hell Bound was an excellent, scary horror episode.

Day 8 - Your Favourite Female Character - Darla. AtS was often bad for female characters, but it did amazing things with Darla (who was such an unimpressive character in season 1 of BtVS) and made her one of the most interesting and complex vampire characters. Her relationship with Angel was, for me, the most interesting of his romantic relationships, and she even got a great arc with a powerful ending. She was the part of many of my favorite AtS episodes (Dear Boy, Darla, The Trial, Reunion, Reprise, Lullaby, plus great flashbacks in The Prodigal).

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Stoney (Yesterday)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I'm totally failing to keep track of where we are up to with these so I'm just answering the same questions Pricey has done.

Day 7 An episode that scares me, hmm, I can't remember being scared as such. Angel being buried at sea was a horrifying thing to happen, but for a specific episode I think I'll go for Hell Bound. The imagery and darkness of what Spike is experiencing is really sinister and bleak. Then how Pavayne is trapped for eternity at the end is pretty chilling.

Day 8 Darla's arc on AtS was great and shows the difference when they go for properly exploring a character in contrast to how she was used on BtVS. Her history and her relationship with Angel are just really interesting. Plus her sacrifice for Connor is one of the most moving displays of love in the verse. Lots of layers and complex characterisation, so she's a winner.
    What she said!

Although for me I would make Lilah damn near a tie. Her arc with Wesley is one that I love!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

Day 8: Your Favorite Female Character of AtS

* Illyria. Even in A&F S9, I consider Drusilla a BtVS character.

Illyria is great in AtS S5 and Illyria: Haunted is one of the best possibly canon comics/comics arc in post-AtS S5.

* Faith is too sullied by post-BtVS 8.40, and Faith is a BtVS character even in A&F.

* Cordelia is all because of Jasmine and I can't get past the personal things with Charisma Carpenter. David Boreanaz, Alexis Denisof etc. were very grateful for AtS and being employed and such. CC bragged that AtS shot at Paramount Pictures while BtVS shot in crappy warehouses. CC said she'd be a better Buffy and should have been Buffy instead of Sarah Michelle Gellar. CC implied she was a better actor than SMG.

And her complaints about the Connor thing are also appalling. She complained more than Alyson Hannigan did about Willow's suddenly being a lesbian (almost none), more than Aly did about Willow/Kennedy (almost none). There was never going to be a Angel/Cordy forever. Angel and Cordy weren't going to have a child.

AtS S4 vastly oversold the importance of Cordy in the Fang Gang. She was never even its leader and AtS S4 acts as if Cordy is around the same special-ness and "champion-ness" as Angel.

Charisma Carpenter was eye candy. Cordelia was never a very popular character. Ratings for AtS S5 increased when AtS replaced both Cordy and Connor with Spike. Ratings would have increased if Cordy was replaced with Faith. Even Joss's threats against SMG in BtVS (Dawn the Vampire Slayer) and BtVS S7 (both Dawn the Vampire Slayer and Faith the Vampire Slayer) only didn't have weight because James Marsters was loyal to SMG.
    We really need a back story thread for all this info!
    Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape. - Terry Pratchett

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Stoney (Today)

Thanks

Day 9 Favourite Male Character Can I go for Spike, or is that cheating? Otherwise it has to be Angel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 591 Posts

Day 7 - An Episode that Scares You Rm w/a Vu from season 1. Ghosts scare me, also the way Dennis' mother killed him by bricking him alive into a wall has given me nightmares for a while. I'm shivering as I'm writing about it.

Day 8 - Your Favourite Female Character Cordelia in the early seasons and Lilah in the later seasons.

Day 9 Favourite Male Character Gunn! I love him so much.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Thanks
    Thanked 6,335 Times in 1,932 Posts

Day 5 - Best Monster Probably Darla. Her relationship with Angel was the most compelling and I always prefer vampires over the other monsters on the show.

Day 6: Worst Monster The tree demon surfing the internet with it's roots so it could lure it's victims into it's trap. 'Nuff said.

Day 7 - An Episode that Scares You As others have said, there aren't really any episodes that scare me. Hellbound did have a lot of pretty horrific imagery (the woman with no arms was a particularly creepy moment) and Damage also had some pretty creepy and disturbing scenes. I would probably say Hellbound.

Day 8 - Your Favourite Female Character This is a hard one. I become completely disinterested in Cordy as a character midway through Season 3 but I also have more affection for than any other female character on the show. Whereas, I personally find Lilah and Darla more interesting as characters but I don't really feel any affection for them. I think Cordy slightly has the edge even if they butcher her arc.

Day 9 Favourite Male Character Angel. I find him to be a truly compelling character and I think DB really owns the role as the series progresses. I also find his humour to be greatly underrated and some of the funniest moments in the show come from the characters' unique brand of humour ("They talk about me in the chatty rooms?").
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

Thanks

Day 9: Favorite Male Character of AtS:

* Spike. Even though he's annoying in AtS S5 until "A Hole in the World" (A 5.15), he's nevertheless the best part of AtS S5.

* The Jasmine factor muddies things, but my second favorite is Wesley Wyndam-Pryce. I actually like him less in AtS S5 because of the Wes/Fred thing and the Wes-Illyria thing didn't make him more interesting.

But Wes quickly becomes interesting and compelling in AtS.