Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: 30 Days of Buffy

Bronze Party-Goer Fool for Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Day 29: Becoming Part 1 & 2 is an emotional roller coaster with nonstop action. I love every second.
    Hello cutie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,984 Times in 814 Posts

Day 28: I was really torn between Jenny, joyce and Tara, but I finally decided, it has got to be Tara`s death. After all the apocalypses they have averted, all the demons, they have fought, all the Magic, they have dived into, she is hit by a stray bullet. It is devastating.

Day 29: The Gift. Best series finale ever.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

I'm so behind!

9. Favourite romance? I guess I should say Spike/Buffy, since it's the most inspirational and interesting to me. But I find Spike/Drusilla and Willow/Oz to be more romantic in a lot of ways. There is a sweetness in both of them that only comes with first loves, I think. It's okay with me that each of these run their course, and you just know that there is lasting affection on all sides, once they've moved on to other people/demons.

10. Least favourite season? This is a hard one, because each season has its merits. I guess S3, because I feel the extended Bangel drama was incredibly boring and wasted a lot of time and emotional energy. That said, we have Faith, the Mayor, and some marvelous episodes Band Candy, Lovers Walk, The Wish/Doppelgangland, The Zeppo and that magical "class protector" moment in The Prom. And, it was much better looking than the previous 2 seasons. I can't dislike it. I can only like it slightly less than some others, which have their own set of problems.

11. Least favourite romance? I'll take the easy route here and say Buffy/Riley. They were both kidding themselves about what they wanted and needed in a partner, and about what the actual person in front of them would be able to offer. It's a waste. I could say similar things about Angel/Buffy, which is, as the kids say these days, problematic, but it was really captivating for a couple of seasons. (I said above, I find it to be a snooze in S3.)

12. Least favourite episode? This one is easy. Amends. I really dislike the intrusion of some "higher power" into the choices of the characters. This type of thing never happens again on Buffy, although it happens all the f-ing time on Angel. It feels cheap and I feel manipulated, and not in the usual, good way. I do like the Willow/Oz/Barry White scene, though. And Faith and Joyce. So, nothing is all bad.

13. Favourite potential slayer? Probably Vi, but that's just because Felicia Day is such a badass. Amanda is obviously wonderful. Out of spite, I always want to put in a good word for Rona, who gets a lot of flak in fandom that I don't feel is deserved. She's funny and wry and world-weary, and for once, the black girl doesn't die first.

14. Favourite female villain? I'd say Darla, but that's only because of her development on Angel. Drusilla is a favorite, but not really a favorite villain, if that makes sense. Okay, let's go with Maggie Walsh, who is so much fun to love to hate. She's diabolical, smart, and uses her gifts in the completely wrong way, when she could have so easily been a great person. She's so misguided. That's the mark of a fabulous villain for me.
    Last edited by Rebcake; 29-05-18 at 08:25 PM.
    Weird love is better than no love Buffy Summers

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebcake For This Useful Post:

Priceless (29-05-18),SpuffyGlitz (30-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,246 Times in 4,216 Posts

Day 29 - Best finale Ah I love something about all the season finales. I'm tempted to say S6 because I adore Xander's save, Willow's release of grief, Spike's trial success and Buffy & Dawn fighting together but I think The Gift has the best epic/final group battle feel to it to just edge it to getting 'best' status from me as a finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa lola View Post
    Day 29 - Favourite Season Finale Restless is my favorite episode ever, but does it really count as a season finale?
    I must admit I don't tend to think of Restless as the finale but Primeval for S4. Restless is an incredible episode though for sure.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Sosa lola (29-05-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Day 29 Graduation Day. I don't think it's my favorite finale, that changes all the time but if I want to be objective, this is my pick. It's basically a movie.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,105 Times in 2,170 Posts

Day 29 The Gift. It only slightly nudges out Becoming for me which was incredibly close, but overall this was a stunning finale. And objectively speaking, whilst I prefer the ending of Chosen because Buffy doesn't die, I think The Gift would have absolutely been the stronger series finale. It's such a fantastic episode.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (30-05-18),flow (30-05-18),Silver1 (30-05-18),Sosa lola (30-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,065 Times in 2,448 Posts

Day 30 - What Makes Buffy Great Well Buffy is my favourite fictional character. She's so great because she's strong and resilient and compassionate and endlessly forgiving and loving. She's got her flaws and faults, but she's a hero and a survivor and I admire her so much. Plus her hair is always so shiny

BtVS is continually rated one of the best tv shows ever because of the writing. It's warm and funny, yet full of pathos and meaning. It's clever and asks questions of its audience. It doesn't tie everything up in a nice bow, but is ambiguous and leaves a lot of threads hanging, asking us to debate and decide things for ourselves. I think Joss and the writers gave this show meaning and took it from just another CW teen show to something great and important and I don't think it is too much to say that it probably did change our ideas on what a television show could be.

I do think that with good writing, anything is possible, but I also think BtVS struck lucky with the actors, who truly embodied these characters and continually gave such wonderful nuanced performances, with such depth. Not easy to do I wouldn't have thought in an ostensibly action/adventure show that had 22 episodes a season.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Fool for Buffy (30-05-18),Sosa lola (30-05-18),Stoney (30-05-18),TimeTravellingBunny (30-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,068 Times in 868 Posts

Day 30 - What Makes Buffy Great The fact that I've been in this fandom for over 18 years and I still discuss the show religiously, read and write fanfics about it, watch videos about it either reviews or fanvids, and obviously I'm not the only one, tells you exactly why it's so great.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

Fool for Buffy (30-05-18),Priceless (30-05-18),Stoney (30-05-18),TimeTravellingBunny (30-05-18)

Bronze Party-Goer Fool for Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Day 30: The one quality that always sticks out to me among many that make her great is her incredible capacity to love.
    Hello cutie

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fool for Buffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-05-18)

Thanks

Day 30 - What Makes Buffy Great Buffy herself?? That there are so many things I could say in answer to this and that others will probably list that I haven't which are also true! Her capacity for love and forgiveness, her resolve and fortitude, her adaptability and inventiveness, that she's flawed but also how she tries to personally better herself in different ways and her willingness to put herself on the line for others. Also the quips and humour, you can't forget the quips.

For the show, I'd say the variety of relatable events and themes that are used and the way that it coherently develops the characters and allows them to change and progress whilst exploring complex layers of characterisation throughout. As if this wasn't enough, it does it whilst creating incredible characters that are fascinating and varied and with exceptionally entertaining and interesting writing. The casting is superb and the whole combination just created a piece of television gold.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (30-05-18),TimeTravellingBunny (30-05-18)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

Day 28: Most Upsetting Death in BtVS

* In hindsight and for the canon, Spike's death in "Chosen" (B 7.22). I maintain that Season 10 and after cannot be canon, so Buffy's interactions with Angel in "Chosen" ends Buffy/Spike and Buffy is essentially mostly celibate for years (depending on when Season 9 ends, it could be around 10 years after "Chosen").

Albeit I consider Buffy/Spike would happen after Season 9 anyway.

* Joyce's death is upsetting because it's likely due to the monks messing with Joyce's memory. Buffy's the Slayer but Joyce is a normal human. Joyce's life is heavily impacted by Buffy's Calling. And the impact is all negative for Joyce: she loses her husband, she has sex like 3 times in around 5 years, etc.

* Jenny Calender simply tried to show how evil Uncursed Angel is. I'm not even sure if her death is somehow more upsetting that Drusilla's massacring an entire train car.

Day 29: Favorite Season Finale of BtVS

* In ways, "Graduation Day" (B 3.21-3.22). A perfect way to end 'The High School Years' of BtVS. The Future is Ours. The students fighting with Buffy. Angel's drinking from Buffy gives an excellent way to make Angel permanently more powerful for AtS. Xander's "Halloween" (B 2.06) knowledge being put to good use. Buffy/Angel parts but Angel literally marks Buffy. And despite the BtVS S8 thing, Buffy throughout BtVS S6 and BtVS S7 no longer has the 'Angel scar'. Cordelia stakes a vampire. Willow/Oz sex. The Buffy-Giles bond furthering. Etc.

There's some cheese to "Prophecy Girl" (B 1.12), but I'd almost have "PG" as my second favorite.

"Restless" (B 4.22) is mostly an 'addendum'.

"The Gift" (B 5.22) we knew Sarah Michelle Gellar was coming back for BtVS S6 and BtVS S7. She died to save the most main unpopular character still on the show.

"Grave" (B 6.22) has the contrived 'Xander saves the day' thing, the 'Spike gets his soul' cliffhanger, etc. It's mostly setup for BtVS S7 with Spike now being ensouled, Buffy being in a healthier place means Buffy/Spike will be healthier, and Willow being much more powerful. And Willow being much more powerful than Buffy doesn't really go anywhere and becomes a problem for BtVS S8, and Season 9. Willow's a good leader yet defers to Buffy.

"Chosen" (B 7.22) should have been a 2-parter. 20th Century Fox and the UPN should have made that happen. And we knew Spike was going to AtS.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,251 Times in 577 Posts

I'm so behind. Is there an easy way to remember what day I left off on?

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    I'm so behind. Is there an easy way to remember what day I left off on?
    Yes. You can 'search this thread' at the top above the posts and put in your username and then make sure you select it to be any date and it will list all the ones you have posted in the whole thread. I did it for you to check it worked fine and your last post went up to Day 19.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (01-06-18)