Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

Default Buffy Season 10 - Library Editions

JULY 04, 2018

Buffy Season 10 Library Edition Volume 1

SEPTEMBER 12, 2018

Buffy Season 10 Library Edition Volume 2

My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (22-04-18),American Aurora (04-05-18),BAF (22-04-18),Priceless (22-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,127 Times in 995 Posts

Spike's got some serious bedroom eyes in that image.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),debbicles (27-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,641 Times in 4,160 Posts

I've got Volume 1 on pre-order. Do you know who's done the cover art? Does Buffy have blue eyes on the first volume and brown on the second or am I seeing things? It is a great drawing of Spike

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,190 Posts

I've got both of them on order - I might even open Vol 2. On second thought, why bother [insert "drool" emoji - except I'm not because it looks like vomiting]?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 292 Posts

Priceless, I think the colour of Buffy's eyes does vary between the two covers, although it's harder to tell in reproductions. But I think her eyes as more green in the first, whilst in the second they look more like the colour of a forest pool. In a good way!

As for Spike - well, we saw PoetWlliam, Whirlwind Spike (Boxer Slayer scene), Punk Spike, then Spike in his various Sunnyhell incarnations. What about a name for this cover? I hesitate to say GigoloSpike - OK, I don't hesitate - but any offers?

PS TriBel, that's a great signature. Yeah, I've ordered it purely for the cover. I'm trying to work out where I can strategically place it at home when it arrives, so it's discreetly on display but not in yer face deal. You can tell I think too much about these things.

Also, re image of Spike - I know you'll order me to get my mind out of the gutter (or maybe not, who knows??), but it really looks as though he ain't wearing no troosers.
    Last edited by debbicles; 27-04-18 at 12:19 PM.
    You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

"There's a lot of comedy to be gotten from the world's doom spiral right now." Tracey Ullman, June 2018

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to debbicles For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),GoSpuffy (30-04-18),Priceless (27-04-18),TriBel (27-04-18)

Thanks

PS TriBel, that's a great signature.
    Yes - it is. I'm keeping the signature and the avatar, and getting rid of the kids.

What about a name for this cover? I hesitate to say GigoloSpike - OK, I don't hesitate
    Stoney didn't either - that's what she thought.

It really looks as though he ain't wearing no troosers.
    That's what I thought.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    Spike's got some serious bedroom eyes in that image.

Oh yeah baby! ::
    OMG there I go again. I really must stop this.

"There's a lot of comedy to be gotten from the world's doom spiral right now." Tracey Ullman, June 2018

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debbicles For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),GoSpuffy (27-04-18)

Thanks

but it really looks as though he ain't wearing no troosers.
    Lol, think that's wishful thinking, because I definitely see a belt. Sorry

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),debbicles (27-04-18)

Thanks

OK, why has it taken me so long to realise the villain sports a purple Mohican?
    Also, I'm embarrassed to take so long to come up with a very lame moniker for the Spike on this cover, but, given the wide lapels, the power dressing, the colours...
    How about...drum roll, ladies and gentlemen...I present:

Night Fever Spike!

Ta dah!!

Told you it was rubbish.

(Slinks away in shame...)

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to debbicles For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),Double Dutchess (28-04-18),GoSpuffy (30-04-18),Priceless (28-04-18)

Thanks

Night Fever Spike!
    Love it!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Love it!
    Bless you, Pricey. I struggle to come up with snappy names. My husband conjures them up, I can't manage. But for obvious reasons I'm not asking him about this!

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debbicles For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),Priceless (28-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by debbicles View Post
    OK, why has it taken me so long to realise the villain sports a purple Mohican?
    Also, I'm embarrassed to take so long to come up with a very lame moniker for the Spike on this cover, but, given the wide lapels, the power dressing, the colours...
    How about...drum roll, ladies and gentlemen...I present:

Night Fever Spike!

Ta dah!!

Told you it was rubbish.

(Slinks away in shame...)
    Okay - this isn't (alternatively, it is) helping with my reading of the Giles comic (and I'm back on hybridity/timelines here). I think both covers are strange - and I don't necessarily connect them with S10 as it was published. Why does Willow remind me of Vikki the vampire? Why is there a purple mohican here and Roux has a white one on her hood? Why are Buffy's eyes slightly different colours? Why does Buffy on Vol.2 remind me of the Buffy in Anne? Why does Angel look old enough to be her dad? Why is Baldwin (in Giles) wearing a red hooded duster and Spike his red shirt here? Why do their costumes seem to be evoking different eras? Also - "power dressing" when I'm still dubious about the power walk on the cover of S12? I think Giles is still to do with power (see S7) - who has it, where it originates and how groups who have it hold on to it. Why are both covers slanted with a central figure that suggests / - the virgule - the marker that separates binary oppositions? Why is the written word (Vampyr) fragmenting? Why does Vol 2 appear to dissolve into "white" flesh/skin, when Giles is associated with black flesh/skin?

Just asking for a friend.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),debbicles (30-04-18),Double Dutchess (28-04-18),Priceless (28-04-18)

Thanks

Why does Willow remind me of Vikki the vampire?
    Of course! I thought it didn't particularly look like Willow. It's the tights.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),TriBel (28-04-18)

Thanks

Of course! I thought it didn't particularly look like Willow. It's the tights.

Okay...that doesn't take my idea of "asking" (for a friend) far enough because it just confirms what I already knew (it's the tights) . Why the similarity? Do things seem a bit "off" to you? (Please expend on any answer that begins with "yes") . It might please you to know I'm going out now!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),Priceless (28-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Okay...that doesn't take my idea of "asking" (for a friend) far enough because it just confirms what I already knew (it's the tights) . Why the similarity? Do things seem a bit "off" to you? (Please expend on any answer that begins with "yes") . It might please you to know I'm going out now!
    The only thing I can think is that Spike constantly wears a costume. He projects an image all the time and that image doesn't change outwardly. He just changes in his essentials. He thought in S10 that Angel still wielded emotional power over Buffy and that she would go back to him, regardless of what she felt for Spike. But that turned out not to be true. So is this cover saying that Spike thinks he has the power but doesn't?
    Also, I did wonder why Willow looked like Vikki. Is that a hint she will turn dark, or that she is reverting to her geeky roots? Could it mean going back in time, or forwards?
    About the other characters, I know nothing. But I'd be interested to see what others think.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debbicles For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),Double Dutchess (28-04-18)

Thanks

It pleases me greatly that you're going out. Take an umbrella

Yes. None of the characters seem like themselves. Buffy is wearing a mini skirt and a cowl neck top, call-backs to previous ages of Buffy, or a little like Vicki too. She has different coloured eyes on either cover, and her hair is a different style. Willow also seems to have curly hair, when through S10 I remember her having a short straight bob (IIRC)

The drawing of Spike is . . . odd? He's portrayed as Night Fever Spike (thanks debbicles) but although he and Buffy are drawn as having sex in S10, we never see Spike this confidently open or sexual. In fact in S10 I would say he's even a little reticent about sex and their relationship. Does this all feed into your hybridity theory? Do you think we are meant to be seeing combinations of characters, so the covers are foreshadowing the final season? Perhaps the timeline splits in S10 and that's what the covers are telling us.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),debbicles (28-04-18),Double Dutchess (28-04-18),TriBel (30-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 588 Posts

Prosaic answer: the cover artist used promo pictures from different seasons as reference materials.

Like this one from season 2:

This one from season 4:

And maybe this one for Willow (though here it is Xander wearing the tights):

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),debbicles (28-04-18),Priceless (28-04-18),TriBel (28-04-18)

Thanks

I don't know much about comics or comic book artists, but is that usual for a cover artists? I thought it would be sort of expected of them to have read the season (or at least look at it) and reflect that on the cover. Unless they'd been asked to do something a little different.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),debbicles (28-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 588 Posts

I don't know much about comics or comic book artists, but is that usual for a cover artists? I thought it would be sort of expected of them to have read the season (or at least look at it) and reflect that on the cover. Unless they'd been asked to do something a little different.
    I think the covers are often made way in advance and do not necessarily reflect closely what is happening in the story. Also, sometimes it is really clear to see which photos they used as a reference (as in this case). Not always, but it's definitely not unusual.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),debbicles (28-04-18),Priceless (28-04-18),TriBel (30-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Double Dutchess View Post
    I think the covers are often made way in advance and do not necessarily reflect closely what is happening in the story. Also, sometimes it is really clear to see which photos they used as a reference (as in this case). Not always, but it's definitely not unusual.
    Ha...prosaic is just...well...prosaic. Wild speculation that has people bouncing off walls (particularly if you don't like those people - so that doesn't include "my peeps" here ) is fun. Okay...and occasionally vindictive. But - I ask you - when did a little vindictiveness hurt anybody? Plus - if the speculation proves to be right you get to be smug. (Sigh...why is there no emoji for smug?) If it's wrong, you just dismiss it as speculation. What's not to like?

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (04-05-18),Priceless (30-04-18)