Thread: Journey: Awakenings by Mary starting on 11th May 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 1,159 Times in 455 Posts

Default Journey: Awakenings by Mary starting on 11th May 2018

We will be discussing

Journeys Part Two: Awakenings by Mary

from 11th May 2018 on in this thread.

Summary:
    Part Two of ‘Journeys’, called Awakenings. This, my version of Spike’s story, was written to satisfy my own desire to play with the ideas of good and evil, and the part the transforming power of love can play in the struggle between them.
    Awakenings’ is Part Two of a multi-part series, ‘Journeys’ and follows ‘Promise to a Lady’.
    ‘Journeys’ has angst, sex, blood play, and the occasional very bad word. Most of all, it has, I hope, love. However, the adult nature of this story does give it an overall rating of NC-17.
    Word Count: 174k.

You can read the story on Elysian Fields, but you will have to be registered, because of it`s rating:

http://dark-solace.org/elysian/views...t=ok&warning=5

It used to be on nocturnal-light as well, but this site was unfortunately closed a short while ago. You can still find the story via waybackmachine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120607...eys_Awakenings

This story is a sequel. You can find the prequel - Journeys: A Promise To A Lady - either on Elysian Fields:

http://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=1444

or via waybackmachine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120608...mise_to_a_Lady

We will be discussing the prequel from 4th May 2018 on in this thread:

http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...g-4th-May-2018

The third part of Journeys - Revelations - is a permanent WIP. We will not be discussing it here, but if you want to read it, you can find it here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120607...elations_Draft

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 465 Posts

"Has angst".... No - hang on - that's the first, not the second. The sequel is loooooong!
    Last edited by TriBel; 19-04-18 at 05:59 PM.

Thanks

Just a quick reminder, that the discussion for the prequel to Awakenings is now open and that the discussion for Awakenings will start next Friday.

I haven`t even started reading it yet

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,726 Times in 3,631 Posts

I'm on chapter 6 but I might be pushed to finish it for next Friday, I'm going to try my best.

Thanks

Hi everybody,

we are due to start discussing this fic tomorrow. However, a few of us haven`t finished reading it yet. I`d like to know, if it would be okay to postpone the discussion for a week. How far is everyone with reading Awakenings? Are there more of you, who are still in the middle of reading it? Are there some, who don`t want to wait any longer for the discussion to start? Please give me a shout!

flow

Will you just hold me ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Stoney (10-05-18)

Thanks

I'm done reading it. I'm afraid if I wait a week to post I'll forget about it. Maybe I can post tomorrow and put it under a spoiler?

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

Thanks

The discussion is officially opened!

I am in the middle of chapter six and I am going to post my thought while reading on. Please don`t bother to put spoiler tags on your reviews, I will either skip them until i am finished or I`won`t mind being spoilered. i don`t want Spoiler tags to impair the flow of the discussion.

flow

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,726 Times in 3,631 Posts

I'm only half way through, but I'm going to wait to read what you all have to say until I've finished it too. So back soonish...

Thanks

I have read the first six chapters of the Story so far.

I really loved the First Part because of it`s writing. The second part does the same for me. It is so well written and I love all the characters, except for Willow, who has - as often - to become the villain of the piece.

Spike is a very mature, caring, calm and sensitive Spike. Almost ensouled without a soul. But it is okay, because he had sex with the bot in the first part and that proves, he is still immature and soulless :-)

I love the ongoing friendship between Spike and Dawn. I love the friendship between Spike and Giles. It is very beautiful, although I am not a huge Giles fan.

The Buffy, that has come back from heaven feels a bit creepy at first. I was absolutely shocked, when she called Giles "Rupert". But it all made sense, when she admitted, that she had been in heaven

Spoiler !

several hundred years. I felt sorry for her at that moment and I was wondering, how the writer would work with this plot.

When Buffy regained her memories completely after the Tabula Rasa spell, I was a little bit disappointed, because fizzy, dreamy, polite Buffy is now gone, I guess. But I have a lot of trust in the writer`s ability to come up with something new and gives us a strong plot for the rest of the fic.

The only chracater I am disappointed in so far is Willow. Is it impossible to write a Spuffy fanfic without turning on one of the scoobies and making them go evil?

Oh, and we have seen next to nothing of Xander so far. I`d like him to be around a bit more.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 16-05-18 at 10:28 AM.

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

I liked the story but it did have some problems. The cross burn on Spike was mentioned again and I really thought they were going somewhere with that but It didn't materialize. I really like this as a dawn Spike friendship story more than a spuffy story. I agree too many stories make scoobies villians but I accept this as Willow was a S6 villain so it's not entirely off. I read the notes for part 3 hoping to get the ending but no matter where you stop it does feel incomplete. I normally avoid WIP for that reason.

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (Today),flow (16-05-18)

Thanks

I am at chapter nine now and unfortunately, since Buffy regained her memories, nothing interesting has happened anymore. I said, it would have been better, if the writer stuck to the changes she made early in this story instead of simply overthrowing her own original plot twist and returning to canon season 6, but (probably) without the abusive relationship between Spike and Buffy

ETA: Now I am up to chapter 12 and all we`ve got since chapter nine was a lot of humping and a couple of handjobs and I have to say, that there are occasions, where I could do without a talking manual.

flow

ETA again: Half way through chapter 13 and I start to hate the way, Spike always says "my Slayer" or talks about "his Slayer". Since when does he own Buffy? And by the way. "sonofabitch" isn`t that original a word creation, that you have to use it in every other sentence.

Has anyone else read this story except for GoSpuffy and me?

flow

ETA again: I won`t drop the story, because I am almost through, but "Strangle my ****." really pushed it over the line for me.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 17-05-18 at 09:20 PM.

Will you just hold me ?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

TriBel (13-05-18)

Thanks

I ploughed my way through

Okay, I have to acknowledge, how the writer gathered the loose end with Spike drinking Buffy`s blood in the first part of the series up. That really came an bit Spike in the ass :-)

I was not fully convinced of Buffy`s reaction. After all those mind reading and the closeness she felt to Spike right from the moment she returned and those dreams they shared and this weird warmth they felt - none of this was ever explained, btw - she revokes the invitation without letting him even explain himself? Maybe that would have been more plausible, if all this stuff, that was useless anyway, hadn`t happen.

But plotwise she returned to canon - Spike an Buffy breaking up - without abusiveness and AR and it was still good story telling.

When Willow was hearing voices in her head, I was really excited and thought "woah, we are getting a schizophrenic Willow. This is going to be soooo interesting". Unfortunately the idea was dropped immediately and Willow went on a vacation to the Carribean.

There were pieces in this fic, that were wonderful. For example the way Spikes asked Buffy to stay for their first night or the story about Drusilla watching Star Trek, because she thought Dr. McCoy was her father.

But overall, I don`t know, what we needed 19 chapters for. What did really happen? Buffy was resurrected, came back, was a bit off, got normal again, had sex with Spike, broke up with him and Willow went bad and mad. I think, it could have been done in half of the chapters without leaving anything important out.

And there were just too many things I did not like at all. Spike sitting on the roof for - what ? - a year or so? Why can`t he sit inside? Spike talking of Dawn and Buffy as his. Willow and Xander both assasinated as characters without it`s being neccessary for the story. Buffy and Spike talking through telepathy. There are many more, but I am going to stop now.

I ranked the prequel 7/10 or 8/10. I am sorry, I can`t give this one more than a 5/10.

I would really like to hear other opinions on this story!

flow
    Last edited by flow; 17-05-18 at 09:21 PM.

Will you just hold me ?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (Today),GoSpuffy (16-05-18)

Sunnydale High Student Double Dutchess's Avatar
    Thanks

I have reread Awakenings pt 2 and although it was well written, and there were parts I enjoyed a lot, ultimately it was not very satisfying. At least not in terms of the plot, because that wasn't really going anywhere. The story really suffers from being part of an incomplete series. A lot of things should presumably have been explained in part 3, but because that wasn't finished they never were.

I agree with GoSpuffy that the Dawn/Spike friendship was one of the highlights of the story. I was disappointed that Xander totally reverted back to hating Spike in part 2. I enjoyed the evil Willow plotline; I thought it was pretty suspenseful. But the way it ended was quite anti-climactic. I liked the part with Spike's "naked witch friend", she was just so random and there was some fun dialogue there. I thought her connection with Spike was intriguing, but of course, like most things in the story it was never explained (though I admit it's also possible that I forgot.)

As for Buffy, I thought the part where she had partially lost her memories was quite interesting. I enjoyed the Spuffy sex scenes; those were definitely a satisfying part of the story (including the c*** strangling ). I didn't mind the telepathy, but I could have done without it just as well. I'm assuming that this, as well as the warmth thing was somehow a consequence of the cross and/or blood drinking thing, but that's something we will never know. Overall I really enjoyed the Spuffy of it, except at the end. I was really annoyed by Buffy's over-the-top reaction to the blood and chip revelations; I completely afgree with flow that this didn't fit with what went before. Buffy's doubts had been very explicitly built up during the last few preceding chapters, but even with these doubts already playing in her head, I think it was unbelievable that Buffy would suddenly think Dawn was in danger from Spike and that she would not give him any chance at all to explain things. So the end left me rather frustrated. And as GoSpuffy said, reading the drafts for part 3 unfortunately isn't very helpful for tying up loose ends.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (Today)