Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Journeys: A promise To A Lady by Mary starting 4th May 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 825 Posts

Default Journeys: A promise To A Lady by Mary starting 4th May 2018

May is approaching and it is time to create the thread for the upcoming discussion of

Journeys: A Promise to a Lady by Mary

Summary: Journeys' picks up very shortly after the events of ‘The Gift'. Part One, Promise to a Lady, takes place in the summer between seasons five and six. Some plot points from early season 6, even some scenes, and an occasional direct line of dialogue, have been downright stolen by me and incorporated into Part Two of ‘Journeys', called Awakenings.

The story has a wordcount of 53.928 words and here is the link to it on Elysian Fields:

http://dark-solace.org/elysian/viewstory.php?sid=1444

You are warmly welcome to join in the discussion, that will start on Friday, 4th May 2018 !

A Promise To A Lady is the first part of a three parts series. The second part is "Journeys: Awakenings." We will be discussing Awakenings from 11th May 2018 on in a separate thread. The third part, "Journeys: Revelations" is unfortunately a permanent WIP. We don`t plan on discussing part three of Journeys, but if you want to read it, you can find it here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120608...ions_Draft/all

Happy discussion !

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18),Stoney (17-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,103 Times in 2,462 Posts

I know we're not meant to discuss this story yet, but how is everyone getting on with it? I'm only on chapter 2 but I'm considering giving up. Should I continue?

Thanks

Maybe depends on what's tripping you up? Sometimes there's just things you can't get passed (and you can talk about those when the discussion comes around) in a fic, and that's okay. I wouldn't force myself to read something I really didn't like. (It's also okay to dislike something everyone else seems to like, or like something no one else does.)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunalso For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18),Priceless (17-04-18),Stoney (17-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,759 Times in 1,146 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I know we're not meant to discuss this story yet, but how is everyone getting on with it? I'm only on chapter 2 but I'm considering giving up. Should I continue?
    Dunno. I thought - once I'd got through the first couple of chapters - "Pricey will like this". Then I thought "Oh no...she won't".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (17-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,290 Times in 4,231 Posts

It is so long ago that I read this, we keep reading ones that were some of the first stories I read which I'm really enjoying because I don't remember them well, but it means I can't really advise at all whether to continue (and we could well not agree on the story anyway!). I haven't started rereading it yet as I'm trying to catch up on the rewatch (as always) and am currently working on responding to Gone and DMP. I'll get to the fic after those, so probably not until the weekend.

What I will say is that, as I remember it, the first story is very much a prequel and has a very different character focus to the second. So you might want to at least skim the first so that you can talk about what you found difficult about it when the discussion starts but also then be able to give the second a try afterwards without having missed any major points from the prequel.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18),Priceless (17-04-18)

Thanks

I think I was just surprised at the style more than anything. I can't really discuss anything else without spoiling it. I am continuing, but am very much looking forward to hearing what others think when we come to discuss.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Dunno. I thought - once I'd got through the first couple of chapters - "Pricey will like this". Then I thought "Oh no...she won't".
    Oh, please let me guess, at what point exactly you thought that. It has to do with a three letter word and something Spike says in Lineage. Unfortunately I can`t do this spoiler thingy.....

Pricey: I`d read on. I really liked it except for that one scene, that made TriBel think "Oh no, Pricey won`t like this"

flow
    Last edited by flow; 17-04-18 at 09:26 PM.
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Oh, please let me guess, at what point exactly you thought that. It has to do with a three letter word and something Spike says in Lineage. Unfortunately I can`t do this spoiler thingy.....

Pricey: I`d read on. I really liked it except for that one scene, that made TriBel thinl "Oh no, Priey won`t like this"

flow
    Lol I feel like I'm missing out here. I honestly don't know what line you mean!!! Aaagh this is going to drive me crazy, not sure I can wait till the 4th

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post

Pricey: I`d read on. I really liked it except for that one scene, that made TriBel think "Oh no, Pricey won`t like this"

flow
    I think it was Chapter 6.

I've finished the first story - am I supposed to read the second?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    I think it was Chapter 6.

I've finished the first story - am I supposed to read the second?
    We have agreed a date to discuss the second as well, so it depends how far in advance you want to read it before the discussion as we are talking about them separately. A Promise is being discussed from the 4th, Awakenings from the following week on the 11th.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    We have agreed a date to discuss the second as well, so it depends how far in advance you want to read it before the discussion as we are talking about them separately. A Promise is being discussed from the 4th, Awakenings from the following week on the 11th.
    Thanks Stoney - I saw the instruction after I'd made the post.

Thanks

You know how we've only ever all agreed on one fic? Well I don't think that record is going to be broken. It's taken me days to get to chapter 6 and I don't think I can go on. I don't want to spoil it for others, so I'll post more when the thread is open.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18),Silver1 (20-04-18),Stoney (20-04-18),TriBel (21-04-18)

Thanks

You know how we've only ever all agreed on one fic? Well I don't think that record is going to be broken. It's taken me days to get to chapter 6 and I don't think I can go on. I don't want to spoil it for others, so I'll post more when the thread is open.
    Ha! I'm just reaching chapter 6 and am quite happy so it seems you're right, lol. I can't wait to find out what you hate about it so much. Perhaps we should rec each other the stories we dislike the most.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-04-18)

Thanks

Ha! I'm just reaching chapter 6 and am quite happy so it seems you're right, lol. I can't wait to find out what you hate about it so much. Perhaps we should rec each other the stories we dislike the most.
    That's a great idea! I think we need more talking penis stories, because that's the only one that's made us all very happy

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (21-04-18)

Thanks

You will have to send sunalso a pm and ask for a sequel to Strange Partners

flow

Will you just hold me ?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (21-04-18)

Thanks

If it's what I thought you'd be thinking and what I think you might be thinking then I think the thought goes away but comes back later. That aside, I got to the end but there seems to be a massive disconnect between this and the sequel.

Thanks

The thing, I thought, you wouldn`t like, will happen in chapter 8. If you are at chapter 6 and already unhappy with this fic, you are going to have a hard time

How do I do this spoiler thingy?

flow

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

It works as a code the same as the others you use the square brackets around the code word spoiler at the front and then the square brackets with /spoiler inside them at the end. So if you click reply with quote to this post you can see the coding I used around the following...
    Spoiler:
    example spoiler.
    Does that make sense?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18)

Thanks

Spoiler:
    does it work ?
    flow

ETA: Obviously not

I am missing the button for "Spoiler" .

Will you just hold me ?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18)

Thanks

It works as a code the same as the others you use the square brackets around the code word spoiler at the front and then the square brackets with /spoiler inside them at the end. So if you click reply with quote to this post you can see the coding I used around the following...
    Spoiler:
    example spoiler.
    Does that make sense?
    Dunno. Will everyone close their eyes while I try it please?

@ Priceless

Spoiler:
    Intimations of a sexual relationship? Pedophilia?

Yay! It does - thanks Goddess!
    Last edited by TriBel; 21-04-18 at 12:06 PM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18),Stoney (21-04-18)