Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Journeys: A promise To A Lady by Mary starting 4th May 2018

Thanks
    Thanked 4,248 Times in 2,130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    You are right, GoSpuffy. I checked it:

"Three orgasms in less than five minutes. And not a bloody piece of clothing even disturbed"

It doesn`t make a difference to me, though. Sex is sex.

flow
    Three orgasms for the Bot I'm assuming . . . ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,744 Times in 720 Posts

Errr........

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18),Priceless (04-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,740 Times in 4,050 Posts

Firstly, I don't think there is any deliberate ickiness between Spike and Dawn, I really don't think it is intended by the writer either. I think it's supposed to be all above board and brotherly and I honestly just didn't think the vibe was other than that at any point (including the quoted bits). I think the later reference with Giles was supposed to underline this as not being at play too, Spike appeared to be offended when he thought Giles was going to question the appropriateness of his fondness for Dawn. I'll be amazed if anything along these lines develops/or was ever intended to be implied.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    Does he shag the buffy bot or hump her? I didn't like that part either but I don't think it was a full on shag which is a small saving grace.
    You're right, he didn't shag the bot. He was distressed and confused when the bot suddenly appeared in the magic box and he had thought it was Buffy and then recoiled and threw up when he realised it wasn't. He fled at speed, headed off the the crypt and was starting to lose it all again and then the bot turned up. As I remember it, he was holding it and crying, totally distraught and then it got a touch physical as a desperate attempt at comfort with the bot responsive as you'd expect kissing/carressing him and he was lost briefly in the whole emotional turmoil of the moment and in taking some solace, possibly caught up in imagining Buffy was back as he had for that brief moment thought. He shot off in his pants a couple of times during that frantic make out session but then came back to himself somewhat and decided that doing anything else would be the wrong thing and he pulled away from it/stopped it. It was all tied to the shock/trauma of having just believed Buffy was there and then finding out it was the bot. A moment of weakness in a highly distressed state, and he did stop it.

I think Dawn explained the blood storage flow. She said that after being drained by Angel (I think it was tied to that) Buffy had deliberately started to store some of her own blood. I think it was stated as relating to her aversion to hospitals rather than to be on hand to heal vamps.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Three orgasms for the Bot I'm assuming . . . ?
    The orgasms were definitely his because he was embarrassed at the wet on his trousers when Dawn turned up and she accused him of sleeping with the bot and he told her he hadn't, admitted he held it and cried and then he went to get changed.
    Last edited by Stoney; 04-05-18 at 08:17 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18),Double Dutchess (04-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,248 Times in 2,130 Posts

The orgasms were definitely his because he was embarrassed at the wet on his trousers when Dawn turned up and she accused him of sleeping with the bot and he told her he hadn't, admitted he held it and cried and then he went to get changed.
    That's a bit creepy in itself; Dawn questioning him about his trousers being wet. And 3 times? I'd have had more understanding if he'd stopped after the first

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18),TriBel (04-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,190 Times in 930 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    That's a bit creepy in itself; Dawn questioning him about his trousers being wet. And 3 times? I'd have had more understanding if he'd stopped after the first
    *Shrug* What's a bit of wet between friends? It's possibly related to Dawn growing up and becoming sexually aware but I found it a bit disconcerting.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (04-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,744 Times in 720 Posts

It wasn`t quite that bad.

When Dawn comes to his crypt, he has smashed a lot of his furniture and there is blood on his trousers (as well as other fluids). Dawn wrongly assumes he has been attacked. She does not question him aboutr the wet stains on his trousers, but asks if he is okay. After he has changed his clothes, he orders the buffybot not to talk about what had happened between them and only then Dawn puts the pieces together and knows, that Spike had sex with the bot again. She questions him about it and he denies it, apparently with the same logic, Bill Clinton once used. "I did not have sex with that bot."

flow

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18),Double Dutchess (04-05-18),TriBel (04-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    It wasn`t quite that bad.

When Dawn comes to his crypt, he has smashed a lot of his furniture and there is blood on his trousers (as well as other fluids). Dawn wrongly assumes he has been attacked. She does not question him aboutr the wet stains on his trousers, but asks if he is okay. After he has changed his clothes, he orders the buffybot not to talk about what had happened between them and only then Dawn puts the pieces together and knows, that Spike had sex with the bot again. She questions him about it and he denies it, apparently with the same logic, Bill Clinton once used. "I did not have sex with that bot."
    He didn't have actual sex with the bot, even if the encounter was sexual that doesn't equate to literal sex.

I had thought she questioned him about the sex before he got changed and he had ordered the bot to say nothing before Dawn had arrived, not in front of her. Memory is a quirky thing, I'd have to go back and reread it, you may well be right about the sequence. But regardless, he was desperately upset and made a bad call, he's made far far far worse ones and not given a damn about what he has done. He stops this and regrets it.

There is nothing creepy about the relationship with Dawn in this fic, I just don't see it.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18),Double Dutchess (04-05-18)

Bronze Party-Goer Double Dutchess's Avatar
    Thanks

I've been reading this story too, or TBH I've been skimming through it due to lack of time, and because I'd read the story once before already.

I thought it was OK, but I'm not sure I would have re-read (re-skimmed) it if it wasn't for this thread. For the most part I agree with the things that have already been said here; yes, it's all a bit overly dramatic and the continued drinking of Buffy's stored blood was far-fetched, but the Dawn/Spike friendship was lovely. Personally I didn't see anything inappropriate in the passages TriBel quoted, and it's not because I lack a dirty mind. I generally liked the interactions between Spike and the Scoobies. I'm always happy when everybody gets along well (Though of course this doesn't alway make for a good story.) The sex with the bot didn't bother me, but it was unnecessary -- it felt a bit like the author just really wanted to have a sex scene, and with Buffy being unavailable, went with the next closest thing. Actually I found Spike sitting with Buffy's body at the start of the story the most disturbing part.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18),Stoney (05-05-18),TriBel (04-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,190 Times in 930 Posts

There is nothing creepy about the relationship with Dawn in this fic, I just don't see it.
    He's in danger of losing it - we know this. She's the younger sister of a dead woman he spent the night cradling. A woman whose blood he drinks - blood that makes him hard (a phrase I use purposefully - actually, it's a Spike phrase isn't it??) causing him to act recklessly. Blood and biting always has sexual connotations where vampires are concerned. The same blood runs through the sister... I just thought that among the nice parts there were sinister overtones: there was an edge...an edge he could tip over. I thought it was done purposefully to add suspense and an element of doubt. The whole thing was too hysterical for my liking.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (05-05-18),Priceless (05-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    It is so long ago that I read this, we keep reading ones that were some of the first stories I read which I'm really enjoying because I don't remember them well, but it means I can't really advise at all whether to continue (and we could well not agree on the story anyway!). I haven't started rereading it yet as I'm trying to catch up on the rewatch (as always) and am currently working on responding to Gone and DMP. I'll get to the fic after those, so probably not until the weekend.

What I will say is that, as I remember it, the first story is very much a prequel and has a very different character focus to the second. So you might want to at least skim the first so that you can talk about what you found difficult about it when the discussion starts but also then be able to give the second a try afterwards without having missed any major points from the prequel.
    Same here - I read these stories so many years ago and I not sure that I will be joining in the discussions - have a great many novel length current works that I really want to read plus trying to catch up and read the latest rewatch reviews - it's hard to read everything. I probably will try to read it again I just dislike reading works that have not been completed.
    Last edited by cil_domney; 05-05-18 at 03:08 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    He's in danger of losing it - we know this. She's the younger sister of a dead woman he spent the night cradling. A woman whose blood he drinks - blood that makes him hard (a phrase I use purposefully - actually, it's a Spike phrase isn't it??) causing him to act recklessly. Blood and biting always has sexual connotations where vampires are concerned. The same blood runs through the sister... I just thought that among the nice parts there were sinister overtones: there was an edge...an edge he could tip over. I thought it was done purposefully to add suspense and an element of doubt. The whole thing was too hysterical for my liking.
    This just feels like raising potential ties to Dawn or general extrapolation to me rather than something that was featuring. Yes blood and biting have sexual connotations with vampires but just because that's true doesn't make it a part of his dynamic with Dawn. I really just don't think that it's written in, that this is part of the story at all. Like DD I don't want for a dirty mind to help me see it. Something might be raised in the second which changes my pov but, as it is, I just don't see what you do in there or find it at all creepy or implied to be anything inappropriate. It probably just shows that interpretations clearly can vary as much as with the actual show.

Quote Originally Posted by cil_domney View Post
    Same here - I read these stories so many years ago and I not sure that I will be joining in the discussions - have a great many novel length current works that I really want to read plus trying to catch up and read the latest rewatch reviews - it's hard to read everything. I probably will try to read it again I just dislike reading works that have not been completed.
    Too true! I'm going to struggle to read the second in time because I'm looking to keep up with the rewatch as well and the Dead Things review is sat waiting for me.

I try to avoid WIPs too, but the second story is complete, it was the third in the series that she only finished in rough notes.
    Last edited by Stoney; 05-05-18 at 05:03 AM.