Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for the FanFiction discussion threads

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunalso View Post
    Gort's Dreamer

Something by Holly? (The Other Side of Midnight?) She's one of the first Spuffy fic authors I read. Along with Nautibitz and Damperandspoons.
    I missed voting here, or dreamer would be in here, or something by sunalso, gort or offyourbird, three of the best authors in EF and IMO, of spuffy writing today.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    frontierland by gort.
    I enjoyed this when I read it, but I'm not that interested in parsing a story that has so much all-human alternate reality in it. My opinion only.
    Weird love is better than no love Buffy Summers

Thanks
    Thanked 1,845 Times in 853 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rebcake View Post
    I enjoyed this when I read it, but I'm not that interested in parsing a story that has so much all-human alternate reality in it. My opinion only.
    I never NEVER read AU human stories. I dislike them so much. Yet this story is a story within a story and for some reason did not put me off at all. It is really well written, entertaining and does flip back to vampire & slayer and just some how made total sense.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,543 Times in 1,456 Posts

DeepBlueJoy
    something by sunalso, gort or offyourbird, three of the best authors in EF and IMO, of spuffy writing today.
    Add sigyn to that list and I will agree :-)

We have actually read by stories by all of them before. Dreamer just wasn`t picked, because many of us already knew it. As I don`t know Frontierland, I would rather read and discuss that. Or Rules Of the Road as soon as it is complete. Same goes for OYB`s The Darkling as soon as it is complete.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rebcake View Post
    I agree. I have in the past, but no longer read ANY all human. If I want to read all human stories, I'll read a Harlequin. Especially because the AH tend to fall into two categories... One, original fiction with the canon names tacked on hastily. Two, horrible wish fulfillment fic that are basically self inserts with names tacked on. The first kind can be well written, but if you're ready to roll your own universe that has nothing to do with Buffy or Spuffy, just do it already. I read fanfic b/c I'm a fan of the characters in question. The second... well, I never want to read bad self inserts AH or not.

Now, Gort is a great writer, so I might read her story at some point, but I still don't think any AH should be part of a spuffy fanfic reading. (I have not read the story in question)

- - - Updated - - -

I never NEVER read AU human stories. I dislike them so much. Yet this story is a story within a story and for some reason did not put me off at all. It is really well written, entertaining and does flip back to vampire & slayer and just some how made total sense.
    I'm gonna have to read this story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    DeepBlueJoy

Add sigyn to that list and I will agree :-)

We have actually read by stories by all of them before. Dreamer just wasn`t picked, because many of us already knew it. As I don`t know Frontierland, I would rather read and discuss that. Or Rules Of the Road as soon as it is complete. Same goes for OYB`s The Darkling as soon as it is complete.

flow
    Isn't she the one who writes fics that don't actually change ANYTHING in canon? I don't read such fics if I know ahead that's the plan. Some are excellent (and short stories that insert a missing scene can be well worth the small investment of time), but mostly, I want fanfic to:
    a) continue the story that didn't get finished with Chosen/NFA
    b) fix stuff that didn't work in canon - in a clever, not heavy handed way
    c) tell a story that is about some aspect of a character and/or situation that is developed differently from canon and explore how that change ripples out differently.

I don't understand how you write a story that shows something very different from canon events, but changes nothing. Stories that repeat large portions of canon dialogue also annoy me, but I don't think her stories have that problem. If it is who I think you're referring to, it's been a while since I've read her work, but every one I remember reading has aggravated me b/c they're exquisitely written, depressing and disappointing.

I have real life for depressing, powerlessness that changes nothing.
    Last edited by DeepBlueJoy; 18-06-18 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 1,899 Posts

Can anyone remember the name of the fic where Buffy's with Dowling?

Thanks

Yes, that sounds like her I have to say, though, that her stories don`t just repeat canon. For example, she has a Vamp/Buffy story and a 70ies evil Spike story and a Story, where The master never was defeated and so on. The only thing, she has never yet changed, is, that once Spike has a soul, he keeps it. Post Seeing Red, she never goes down the "he doesn`t need it" or even "He can get rid of it" path.

I would not call her stories depressive either. Every single one ends on a very hopeful note. But she puts her Spike through the wringer a lot. And sometimes her Buffy as well. But what can I say? I love myself a tortured Spike

If you want to (re-)read one of her fics again, I`d be ever so happy, to rec you one. Or two. Or three. I am her biggest fangirl

flow
    Last edited by flow; 24-07-18 at 10:45 AM.
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (17-06-18)

Thanks

I agree that the story is well worth reading. There was enough of the story couched in canon that I knew I wasn't reading all-human. (I don't have the prohibition about all-human that you do, but it has to be a trusted author for me to willingly go there.) The writer is very good, and I don't have any complaints about the story. I just don't think I want to spend time discussing it with the group, because so much of the story is an all-human AU within the canon. I mean, I'd just as soon discuss Owen Wister's The Virginian as Frontierland.

Thanks

I am wondering, if the time span between announcing fics and discussing them is too long. Most people seem to read the stories very quickly and when the discussion starts weeks later, people have already moved on and read plenty of other fics.

Would it be better, if we announce the fic and start the discussion at the same time and allow more time in between the fics, so everyone can still read along and join in the discussion later?

What do you think?

Oh, and give me more suggestions for fics, please. I think, we have two more fics to come and then we are running out of them....

flow
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,577 Times in 3,624 Posts

Would it be better, if we announce the fic and start the discussion at the same time and allow more time in between the fics, so everyone can still read along and join in the discussion later?
    I think too much time is given between the announcement and commencement dates. The discussion for our latest fic doesn't actually start till 15th July, yet most of us seem to have finished it weeks ago and by the time the discussion is open we've forgotten most of what we wanted to say

Personally I'd like the discussion to be days rather than weeks after the announcement. The thread will stay open forever, so anyone can jump in at anytime, if it's taken them longer to read the fic - real life does sometimes get in the way of these things.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,773 Times in 5,271 Posts

It depends what you want. We were trying to accommodate different reading speeds but actually all discuss the story at the same time rather than having people go and comment individually without that 'group read' feel to it. If you want to discuss them all together I think you need a date for everyone to aim for that allows everyone to read it by that date. I'm the other extreme and the threads move too quickly for me sadly, I don't get enough free time to read that many that quick and so I don't participate in them all. If others read a lot faster why don't they just resist the urge to read it until three/four days before the discussion starts and then everyone will be able to participate in a group chat about the fic? If everyone is finding the gaps too big it would make sense to shorten them but I think you risk then cutting some people out completely. It really depends how much you want to generate that reading group feel I think.

The few times I've read in advance I've just made notes to myself about what I thought when I finished it and then chatted based on what I put at the time.

Thanks

I think it is a phenomenom that happens with me and chocolate. If I have got chocolate at home, I can`t wait three or four days to eat it. I have to eat it now. Instantly. No waiting. I also can`t eat just one bit of chocolate and leave the rest for the next day. I have to eat all of it at once. That`s why I never have chocolate at home.
    I think fanfiction can be addictive in a similar way. It is there and you want to read it.
    I have given up asking people to not start reading it. I hoped everyone could read it at their own pace and we just start discussing together. But if people have already forgotten about the fic by the time the discussion starts, it doesn`t work that way either. Sigh.

We could try to shorten the time span between announcing a fic and discussing it to a week but lenghten the time span for the next fic to three or four weeks. That way the quick readers can start discussing early and the slow readers can still catch up. It`s not perfect but so far nothing we tried has really been perfect.

flow
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

For me, a week to prep is good. More than that and I lose steam.

Thanks

I won't easily fit it in if it's over 20k and I only have a week. A pretty clear week would work for a fic up to 50k ish, but I'd struggle to fit anything else in that is longer tbh in just a week. I'll be honest too, if I'm always coming at the discussion a week or so after everyone else and I've missed the active conversation about it, with everyone else having moved on, I'll not really see the point in joining in. I had been looking forward to discussing the stories/writing with more depth and that's not happening so much so far. Perhaps I'm just wanting something different from it to everyone else.

Thanks

We have the following fics on the suggestion list. Please give me a shout, which one you want to read next. And also please give me new suggestions, because we are at risk of running out of them.

Dreamer by Gort 86k words, season4
    Demons I Have Known by gwennie 73k words, season6/season7
    Etched in Stone by Flowerofthewolf 116k words, season2
    sex, lies and sonograms by Sabershadowkat 31k words, season2
    Ahead of her Time by haylecc 39k words, season5
    Frontierland by Gort 65k words, season5

flow
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 1,899 Posts

Demons I Have Known by gwennie 73k words, season6/season7.
    Didn't we read this a few weeks ago (obviously behind flow's back and under her radar )?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,577 Times in 3,624 Posts

I've read them all but Frontierland, so that gets my vote. I don't mind re-reading any of the other fics, so majority decides

Thanks

TriBel:
    Didn't we read this a few weeks ago (obviously behind flow's back and under her radar )?
    Nothing stays under my radar

No, most of us read it on their own and then we weren`t sure, if we should read it again with the group.

flow
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

TriBel (22-07-18)

Thanks

I vote for Demons I Have Known by gwennie 73k words, season6/season7. It has a lot of interesting things in it to discuss. It's not really S6/7, though. It's post-S7, which flashbacks to S2 onward.

Thanks

I've read Dreamer and Etched in Stone and wouldn't want to reread either and I'm not interested in reading gwennie's fic, I just don't fancy it. I would try to reread and join you for Sex, Lies and Sonograms if you do that and haven't read and would be interested in reading Ahead of Her Time. I haven't read Frontierland but would probably struggle to find the time for a longer fic like that at the moment. Don't put a lot of weight on my responses as there's always a chance I won't be able to do any at the moment.