Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Suggestions for the FanFiction discussion threads

Thanks
    Thanked 11,179 Times in 4,572 Posts

I'd hate to hold everyone back because I'll never keep up with the quantity, but I'm struggling under a mountain of to dos as Christmas looms. I haven't finished Turn and Face the Strain and probably won't for a few weeks as fanart and rewatch deadlines loom alongside seasons plans. Basically whether I'd even be free to join a revised date is dubious, I'm best discounted, but I didn't want to not respond.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,534 Times in 1,055 Posts

We do have a lot of suggestions on our to-read-list at the moment, but want to discuss adding another one. I usually do not read WIP`s but I have come across one single WIP again and again, whereever I read fanfic rec lists or discussions about fanfics. I am talking about Anna S. (eliade) "Buffy, Season Noir." It`s considered a Spuffy fanfiction classic and it is a permanent WIP, because the writer has long ago dropped out of fandom. With more than 320k words, it is about as long as West of The Moon, East of The Sun. It was published between 2002 and 2004 and is a virtual (AU) season six.

Would anyone be interested in group reading this? Has anyone read it and could give us their opinion?

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Klaus Kartoffel (08-12-18)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    We do have a lot of suggestions on our to-read-list at the moment, but want to discuss adding another one. I usually do not read WIP`s but I have come across one single WIP again and again, whereever I read fanfic rec lists or discussions about fanfics. I am talking about Anna S. (eliade) "Buffy, Season Noir." It`s considered a Spuffy fanfiction classic and it is a permanent WIP, because the writer has long ago dropped out of fandom. With more than 320k words, it is about as long as West of The Moon, East of The Sun. It was published between 2002 and 2004 and is a virtual (AU) season six.

Would anyone be interested in group reading this? Has anyone read it and could give us their opinion?

flow
    I've read it around 2 years ago. It branches off from Canon!S01-S06!Gone and then goes AU. The actual story begins in an alternative season eight (ETA: the first chapter marks the end of AU!season 7). Means the rest of AU!season 6, as well as AU!season 7 already occurred "offscreen" and only serve as a backdrop.

As someone who isn't interested in Spuffy, to begin with, I can still recommend it. Lot's of goody ensemble action and no bashing/exaggerations.
    Last edited by Klaus Kartoffel; 08-12-18 at 10:59 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Klaus Kartoffel For This Useful Post:

flow (09-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 686 Posts

Count me in Flow. I'm reading one I think would be popular. It's called fixing the factors by imortallyspuffy. It's kind of like the yoko factor meets ground hog day.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (09-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Klaus Kartoffel View Post
    I've read it around 2 years ago. It branches off from Canon!S01-S06!Gone and then goes AU. The actual story begins in an alternative season eight (ETA: the first chapter marks the end of AU!season 7). Means the rest of AU!season 6, as well as AU!season 7 already occurred "offscreen" and only serve as a backdrop.

As someone who isn't interested in Spuffy, to begin with, I can still recommend it. Lot's of goody ensemble action and no bashing/exaggerations.
    I think you might have this confused with something else. It's definitely all AU S6 — no S7 or S8 in evidence — but I agree with you that it's got amazing ensemble action and great characterizations.
    Weird love is better than no love Buffy Summers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebcake For This Useful Post:

flow (09-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,179 Times in 4,572 Posts

I'm not sure my opinion is greatly relevant as I'm so out of touch with the reading group at the moment (nope I still haven't finished Turn and Face the Strain). But for what it is worth I wouldn't read a WIP deliberately, no matter how well recommended, unless I was told that it actually finishes in a really satisfactory place. I've read a few classic WIPs accidentally (Dust springs to mind) and even if the story is enjoyable, if it stops abruptly/randomly it is still just too frustrating. It also is perhaps sometimes because the writer's ideas fizzled out and indicative that the story was struggling at that point too. I don't know. But my answer is nope, I wouldn't intentionally start a permanent WIP.

I've also read Fixing the Factors, an incredibly long time ago, and would reread it. But I've enough catching up to do that it isn't likely that I would join.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (09-12-18),Priceless (09-12-18)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rebcake View Post
    I think you might have this confused with something else. It's definitely all AU S6 — no S7 or S8 in evidence — but I agree with you that it's got amazing ensemble action and great characterizations.
    Nope, see author's notes in first chapter: I see this chapter as the season ender in the season before "season noir," which in itself I've come to realize has to be an alternative season 8; everything branches off from "Gone." Canon will **** with fictional continuity after a while, of course. Everything begins in media res.
    Last edited by Klaus Kartoffel; 09-12-18 at 01:19 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Klaus Kartoffel For This Useful Post:

flow (09-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,950 Posts

I'm the same as Stoney, I wouldn't read a WIP. I just find them unsatisfactory, even if they are incredibly well written.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (09-12-18),Stoney (09-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,534 Times in 1,055 Posts

GoSpuffy:
    It's called fixing the factors by imortallyspuffy.
    Thanks for suggesting this one! I`ve added it to the list.

To those, who have read Buffy, Season Noir - does it leave you hanging or does it have some kind of ending, even if it is a WIP?

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

Nope, see author's notes in first chapter: I see this chapter as the season ender in the season before "season noir," which in itself I've come to realize has to be an alternative season 8; everything branches off from "Gone." Canon will **** with fictional continuity after a while, of course. Everything begins in media res.
    It branches off at "Gone" as the author states, and goes completely AU. It doesn't include any elements from S7 or S8, however. It was published long before there was ever a hint of the S8 comics. Readers won't have to wade through potentials, the First Evil, giant Dawn, or bank robber Buffy, for instance.

If that "Season 8" isn't a typo, I think perhaps the author meant to suggest that this story would erase everything than happens in canon post-Gone, and lead to a new story beyond the end of the show. It's pretty clear in story that Sunnydale is never going to be the same, anyway.

I'm not the author, but I did help her by posting it at AO3, so I'm pretty familiar with the storyline.

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rebcake View Post
    It branches off at "Gone" as the author states, and goes completely AU. It doesn't include any elements from S7 or S8, however. It was published long before there was ever a hint of the S8 comics. Readers won't have to wade through potentials, the First Evil, giant Dawn, or bank robber Buffy, for instance.

If that "Season 8" isn't a typo, I think perhaps the author meant to suggest that this story would erase everything than happens in canon post-Gone, and lead to a new story beyond the end of the show. It's pretty clear in story that Sunnydale is never going to be the same, anyway.

I'm not the author, but I did help her by posting it at AO3, so I'm pretty familiar with the storyline.
    I said in my initial post:

Spoiler:
    Maybe I'm using fanfiction terminology incorrectly? With "AU!" I mean (completely) different occurrences during the rough timelines of Post Gone!S06 and S07. The story takes place in the timeline of season eight but of course, doesn't bear any resemblance to it. Actually, it's the same way you use the term in respect to the fic being AU!S06. The fic has no AR, no Dark Willow, no Trio, no dead Tara, no Spike getting his soul etc. The story begins with Spike returning to Sunnydale. But Spike doesn't leave Sunnydale in Gone. Willow and Tara are sort of (tension-filled) back together and Willow has changed her style to a more darker tone (in terms of make-up). Willow and Tara don't get back together in Gone nor has Willow a significant change of style. The MotW in the first act (forgot the name, can transform others into animals and talks like a manic little girl) is introduced as an already acquainted Big Bad from the past. There's no such a character in S1-Gone.

Where's the story AU S06? Are we just talking at cross-purposes?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Klaus Kartoffel For This Useful Post:

flow (10-12-18)

Thanks

Where's the story AU S06? Are we just talking at cross-purposes?
    Oh yeah! I forgot about the whole "we just had this weird big bad that never happened in canon as backstory" part. I wonder if it was supposed to be instead of Glory or in addition? Tsk. Now I'm going to have to re-read. Such a chore.

Anyway, we are definitely talking about the same story. I just don't want to leave people with the impression that it's at all comics-related.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebcake For This Useful Post:

flow (10-12-18),Klaus Kartoffel (10-12-18)