Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Adieu, A Dew, I Do by Lizerrrbeathan starting 20th of April

Thanks
    Thanked 13,441 Times in 5,578 Posts

As far as I remember I took all my copies off her site before it was closed, so she was still providing the story then. I'll scan to see if my version matches the Wayback one.

I checked the story was all there when I found the link and it went from one page to the next, so I'm not sure why it is jumping forward for you. I'll doublecheck that when I scan through it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (12-04-18),cil_domney (12-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,618 Posts

This is a valid point, but I tend to think, it is still legitimate to read and review the story. Those, who have read it (or downloaded it) before she took it off the internet are also still be able to talk about it. And there seem to be at least some people, who think it is very good, so it can`t have needed that much fixing. Kafka asked for all of his unpublished works to be destroyed in his last will. It wasn`t been done and those works are still being reviewed today (although your point has frequently been raised in that case as well).

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (12-04-18),cil_domney (12-04-18),Silver1 (11-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    I don't know If this is worth pointing out but as this is linked by Wayback, when you click on the next chapter It just takes you straight through to the end. Unless It's just my browser of course.

Also Is this a bit unfair to review this If this wasn't meant to be the finished article and pulled it as she realised there was a lot that needed fixing?
    It's a classic of fanfic, oft-recommended and requested, so I don't think it's unfair to discuss it. I've been in fairly recent contact with this author to request permission to put her stories up on AO3. She's much more into Buddhism than vampire lore these days, and is therefore not interested in connecting with or "correcting" her old stories. They are as they will be.
    Weird love is better than no love Buffy Summers

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rebcake For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (12-04-18),cil_domney (12-04-18),Priceless (11-04-18),Stoney (12-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,443 Times in 4,071 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rebcake View Post
    It's a classic of fanfic, oft-recommended and requested, so I don't think it's unfair to discuss it. I've been in fairly recent contact with this author — to request permission to put her stories up on AO3. She's much more into Buddhism than vampire lore these days, and is therefore not interested in connecting with or "correcting" her old stories. They are as they will be.
    Does this mean the author hasn't given permission for her stories to be put on AO3? Thanks to Stoney I've got one more of hers to read, but I'd like to read more. This fic isn't perfect, but at its core is a sweet and deeply romantic story that I really enjoyed.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (12-04-18),cil_domney (22-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Does this mean the author hasn't given permission for her stories to be put on AO3? Thanks to Stoney I've got one more of hers to read, but I'd like to read more. This fic isn't perfect, but at its core is a sweet and deeply romantic story that I really enjoyed.
    No, she expressly didn't want her stories up on AO3. I was sad. But I saved a few things, and because I knew I'd be rereading this one, I fixed the actual typos when I noticed them.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rebcake For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (12-04-18),cil_domney (12-04-18),Priceless (11-04-18),sunalso (12-04-18)

Thanks

No, she expressly didn't want her stories up on AO3. I was sad. But I saved a few things, and because I knew I'd be rereading this one, I fixed the actual typos when I noticed them.
    That is such a shame. Buddhism is good, but Spuffy is better If you are in touch with her you could tell her we're reading her works and some of us think they're really interesting, and worth preserving.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Thanks

That is such a shame. Buddhism is good, but Spuffy is better If you are in touch with her you could tell her we're reading her works and some of us think they're really interesting, and worth preserving.
    It is a shame. I've already told her that many people love her work, partly for the deep spirit at the heart of them, but she was unmoved, except to tell me to check out her guru.
    Last edited by Rebcake; 11-04-18 at 11:37 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rebcake For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (12-04-18),cil_domney (12-04-18),Priceless (11-04-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,190 Posts

Well If she doesn't want them read, she doesn't want them read. Many other ex Buffy fanfic people have gone down the same route sadly.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It is a shame. I've already told that many people love her work, partly for the deep spirit at the heart of them, but she was unmoved, except to tell me to check out her guru.
    Oh lord, well maybe one day she'll realise the worth of her work, and how much pleasure it gives others.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Thanks

The links I gave you also had the snowlight pair of fics too Pricey, probably her most popular (I'd guess).

I've never seen her name on any do not exchange lists. Just because she doesn't choose to keep her site any longer doesn't mean she actively objects to people reading the stories. I've looked through the link and the pages all work for me and at a glance I can't see any inconsistencies between my copy and the linked version.

Thanks

Rebcake - glad to learn you have made contact with the writer - as I recall she was interested in religious themes and often used spiritual and religious ideas in her story. What, if she has one, is her site now?

Thanks

I don't think she has a site up currently, which is why we're having to find her stuff via Wayback. For awhile it was up — sans fic — with a cover page explaining her happiness with her spiritual pursuits. That was the only place I could get a response from her, but now it's gone.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Rebcake For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (22-04-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Sounds like someone who's left this kinda thing behind her alright.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 971 Posts

I'm just starting to read this one. I find the language off putting. Is the general consensus that it gets better? Is the whole thing written in this style?

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (19-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    I'm just starting to read this one. I find the language off putting. Is the general consensus that it gets better? Is the whole thing written in this style?
    The style is distinct and some people haven't read it all because of it. The very start of the story, with the Monty Python reference, is a specific part that is somewhat awkward to read I'd agree, but I don't think the rest is like that. If you're talking about the style being consistent past that part, then yes that is the writer's style. I personally wouldn't dismiss it because of the unusual style and would reread the story again another time, but obviously it's up to you.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (22-04-18),GoSpuffy (19-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    I would advise you to keep reading GoSpuffy, it's so worth it. Once you get past the language and the style, there is a beautiful and romantic story underneath. It just takes some mining, but it's worth it

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (22-04-18),GoSpuffy (19-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,954 Times in 2,167 Posts

I would advise you to keep reading GoSpuffy, it's so worth it. Once you get past the language and the style, there is a beautiful and romantic story underneath. It just takes some mining, but it's worth it
    I endorse that and, TBH, once I got into the rhythm of the initial registers, I enjoyed it. It's using the poetic play of language, language's tumescent underside, Kristeva’s semiotic, to add meaning. It's Eliot’s ‘auditory imagination’, and I think this description nails it: ‘the feeling for syllable and rhythm, penetrating far below the unconscious levels of thought and feeling, invigorating every word; sinking to the most primitive and forgotten, returning to the origin and bringing something back’, fusing ‘the most ancient and the most civilized mentalities". Okay - I'm being REALLY self indulgent. I'm also asking myself why I can remember this sort of shite and not the plot.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (22-04-18),flow (19-04-18),GoSpuffy (19-04-18),Priceless (19-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,618 Posts

Just a quick reminder, that the long awaited discussion of Lizerrrbeathan`s Adieu, A Dew, I Do will finally start tomorrow....I am looking forward to it ! I will not be able to join in the discussion before tomorrow evening, but I am excited to hear your thoughts.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Slayer
    Thanks

Thing is as a reader you shouldn't have to 'get by the style'. I mean a writer worth their salt would sort out that kinda off putting nonsense out imo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Thing is as a reader you shouldn't have to 'get by the style'. I mean a writer worth their salt would sort out that kinda off putting nonsense out imo.
    It's horses for courses Silver1, I enjoyed the style and the story, but I do understand how a dislike of one can put you off the other. Didn't you feel a little sympathy with the writer for trying something different?

I just didn't want GoSpuffy to miss out on a lovely romantic story. Believe me, there's one plot point that made me want to throw the whole thing, but I'm glad I didn't. Cannot wait for tomorrow to have a good rant about that!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (22-04-18)