Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Adieu, A Dew, I Do by Lizerrrbeathan starting 20th of April

Thanks

What a difference time makes - I remember that it was pretty much consider a No-No to discuss fanfiction works due to the "protection of the sensibilities and feelings for the writers." Lizerrrbeathan was, as I recall, a very popular writer and I enjoyed reading some of the works. It's been a very long time and I will be glad to revisit with this discussions. It is very hard to locate this writer's Buffyverse work - at least I have had little success so I very much appreciate the links that were posted.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (11-04-18),Priceless (09-04-18),Stoney (09-04-18),TriBel (09-04-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cil_domney View Post
    What a difference time makes - I remember that it was pretty much consider a No-No to discuss fanfiction works due to the "protection of the sensibilities and feelings for the writers." Lizerrrbeathan was, as I recall, a very popular writer and I enjoyed reading some of the works. It's been a very long time and I will be glad to revisit with this discussions. It is very hard to locate this writer's Buffyverse work - at least I have had little success so I very much appreciate the links that were posted.
    Not in the areas of Fandom I used to frequent. If anything It was the opposite, with other authors openly criting others work.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (11-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,420 Times in 4,057 Posts

When The Sunnydale Fanfic Club podcast first began I asked them about criticism and they said they just wanted to promote Fic writing and there would be no criticism, because of course that would discourage writers to go on the show and answer questions. This of course is valid and understandable, but it does make the podcasters perhaps appear a little insincere, because no-one can like everything. But of course, every fic has its fans. I've liked things others have hated, and vice versa.

I hope that if we do openly criticise any of the fics we read on this board, we do it constructively. There are also bound to be fics that we will not all want to read because they are not to our tastes, but that should never be taken as a negative, because we are all different and respond to different things

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (11-04-18),cil_domney (09-04-18),Silver1 (09-04-18),Stoney (09-04-18)

Thanks

The "do it constructively" - that's the key to our having successful discussions I hope that we can get into some of the "perspectives as writing methods and styles" as I think for the non-writers like myself we would find this very interesting. Reading this writers again after all this time has gone by will be excellent as both how the reader has transformed their opinions and interpretations of the series and characters.

I like the different style of this writer - but how I see the story elements now and the perspectives from other readers will be very interesting. In general I think the quality of the current fanfiction works has improved but it has changed especially with increase in comedy and all human fantasy works.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (11-04-18),flow (09-04-18),Priceless (09-04-18),Silver1 (09-04-18),Stoney (09-04-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

I always try to crit with constructively but some people just don't take any of it well and also seemingly don't want to address their own writing 'issues'. Can't see that what they may see as a brave stylistic choice can just come across to a new reader as just a whole host of typos and bad grammar.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (11-04-18),cil_domney (22-04-18)

Thanks

Seems like we have already started the discussion on this story - I have a question regarding the opening - should I not post it until the 20th?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Seems like we have already started the discussion on this story - I have a question regarding the opening - should I not post it until the 20th?
    We aren't meant to be discussing it till the 20th, but I think as long as it isn't a spoiler, so it doesn't ruin it for people who are either reading it, or about to start, I don't think it's a problem. Ask away

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (11-04-18),Silver1 (09-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,945 Times in 2,162 Posts

LOL! I'm rubbish at reviews. If I don't like something I don't read it/watch it. If I do like it, I get over-enthusiastic and start analyzing it! I hate saying negative things about authors - even if they're dead!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (11-04-18),cil_domney (10-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    I always try to crit with constructively but some people just don't take any of it well and also seemingly don't want to address their own writing 'issues'. Can't see that what they may see as a brave stylistic choice can just come across to a new reader as just a whole host of typos and bad grammar.
    One of the reasons this fic is hard to find is that the author knew the start was little impenetrable and pulled the story down to fix it and then never reposted it.

The crit issue is more with current authors than older ones that aren't in fandom anymore. Not everyone is me and going to be able to roll their eyes, know why they did what they did, and just keep plugging away.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunalso For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (11-04-18),cil_domney (10-04-18),Silver1 (09-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,618 Posts

I haven`t even started reading it, but this discussion has raised my expectations :-)

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (11-04-18),sunalso (09-04-18)

Thanks

I highly suggest reading it on kindle. The weird structure/punctuation is easier to deal with. If you need a file send me an email at sunalso@gmail.com and i'll send you a pdf you can put on a tablet.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sunalso For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (11-04-18),cil_domney (10-04-18),Silver1 (09-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,562 Posts

I think we should try to avoid getting into discussion on it until the 20th tbh. The conversation will be richer if we haven't had half of it already.

I'm such a conformist when there's agreed structure.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Thanks

OK Stoney - will wait until the 20th - How long will the discussion lengths run for each story? Should we maybe do different styles and categories of stories for these discussions? Maybe at one point do a set of short stories with one recommend from the regular discussion members?

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (11-04-18),Priceless (11-04-18)

Thanks

OK Stoney - will wait until the 20th - How long will the discussion lengths run for each story? Should we maybe do different styles and categories of stories for these discussions? Maybe at one point do a set of short stories with one recommend from the regular discussion members?
    I can't remember what we were originally saying Cil. I think the expectation was that the discussion could be ongoing, so it will just run its course. I'd expect that we'd probably wrap up most of the discussion within a week of it starting, but that's just me guessing.

I'm assuming for some at least, for all of us sometimes possibly, there will be overlap between discussing one story and reading the next. We'll need to work in agreeing the next stories and dates too. I'm sure we'll fall into a rhythm with it pretty quickly.

I like the idea of deliberately doing a handful of shorts at some point as well, with possibly everyone suggesting one each. You could put the idea forward on the suggestion thread.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (12-04-18),cil_domney (22-04-18)

Thanks

English most definitely IS Lizzer's first language. So much so, that she improvises with it, much like jazz. The German bits in the opening scene do make for a bit of work, but it's an amazing, thoughtful, exciting story. I'm eager to get to the discussion!

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rebcake For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (12-04-18),cil_domney (11-04-18),Priceless (11-04-18),Stoney (11-04-18),TriBel (11-04-18)

Thanks

Great to have you join us Rebcake, and welcome to the board.

If you're interested, to keep you entertained before this discussion starts, there is the A Better Man fic discussion starting this Friday.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (12-04-18),cil_domney (11-04-18),Rebcake (11-04-18),Tiny Tabby (11-04-18)

Thanks

I envisioned these threads would be active forever. As new people joined, and maybe read these fics, they too could comment.

Hi Rebcake, great to have you join us.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (12-04-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rebcake View Post
    English most definitely IS Lizzer's first language. So much so, that she improvises with it, much like jazz. The German bits in the opening scene do make for a bit of work, but it's an amazing, thoughtful, exciting story. I'm eager to get to the discussion!
    Oh god really? Sorry but as you can tell It didn't work for me sadly.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rebcake View Post
    This is a great way to describe this style - I'm sure that for writers or for those who have studied literature there will be different points of view and perspectives on style. As a general reader I enjoy this style and I always enjoyed how this writer plays with words. The other writer I like very much for a sense of rhythm is Anne Rice - it's very different but for me it's there.
    Last edited by cil_domney; 12-04-18 at 05:53 AM.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to cil_domney For This Useful Post:

Slayer
    Thanks

I don't know If this is worth pointing out but as this is linked by Wayback, when you click on the next chapter It just takes you straight through to the end. Unless It's just my browser of course.

Also Is this a bit unfair to review this If this wasn't meant to be the finished article and pulled it as she realised there was a lot that needed fixing?

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (12-04-18),cil_domney (12-04-18)