Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 21st birthday of Buffy TVS

Thanks
    Thanked 5,064 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Oh bring it on! If It's crap (like Star Trek Discovery imo) we can all just ignore it.
    I quite enjoyed Star Trek Discovery

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I never thought, I would say that, but .....I`d rather have sparkling vampires....:-)

flow
    Yep me too! I'm not sure I'd even watch if there were no Spuffy to look forward to

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (13-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,738 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I've really mixed feelings about this. I love this show, and SMG will always be Buffy to me, but I am willing to be positive about a reboot. I'd like to see how the show would be done now and what changes would be made to make it acceptable to modern viewers. If the reboot could guarantee the same excellent writing as the original, with the same willingness to grapple difficult issues and give the characters depth and meaning beyond the usual standard tv teen show, then I'd be happy. Not too much to ask is it?
    Actually, when I was rabbiting on about "recombination", "essences" etc in S12, I was going to suggest it made a good stepping off point for a reboot. You can have new characters with similar characteristics to the old ones but they don't look the same. Hell - you could even keep the old ones alive in the comics if you have a multiverse.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-03-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 973 Posts

Fox Boss Addresses a Possible ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ Revival

http://collider.com/buffy-the-vampire-slayer-revival/

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

betta (13-03-18),Silver1 (14-03-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,092 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Oh bring it on! If It's crap (like Star Trek Discovery imo) we can all just ignore it.
    It would almost be worth just to get it over with so people would quit talking about it.

What if you became a reboot bangel? Or bangel fans found themselves becoming reboot spuffies

- - - Updated - - -

Actually we only got spuffy because DB had to leave because he got his own show. The reboot could just stick with Bangel for the length of its run, and there would never be a reboot-Spuffy
    The only reason Angel was brought back from hell was to go to LA. If it weren't for AtS, he would have stayed dead.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

betta (13-03-18),Priceless (14-03-18),Stoney (14-03-18),TimeTravellingBunny (14-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 808 Posts

Well, we already know the one person who wouldn't be interested in it: David Boreanaz... so, bring it!

- - - Updated - - -

And forgive my confusion: hasn't Disney bought Buffy from Fox?
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    Well, we already know the one person who wouldn't be interested in it: David Boreanaz... so, bring it!

- - - Updated - - -

The Disney/FOX deal isn't final yet.It'll take about 18 months before it can pass government approval.During those 18 months FOX has to proceed like it's business as uaual in case the deal doesn't go through for some reason.

Slayer
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Neither would SMG from everything I've read. Ever since the show ended she's made the typical talk around it comments about being the right time, the right script, never say never and so on and so forth. That gave way to the too old comments.

The only way I can see her ever returning is script approval beforehand, which I really doubt Joss would do.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,246 Times in 4,216 Posts

I agree SMG could well want script approval but that it would be highly unlikely (correctly so imo) for her to get a say on direction. I don't want to see the show rebooted, I agree with the article comment that recasting would be a mistake. So much of what was great about the show was how the different actors cast brought so much to the characters. I'd love to see a revival, a reimagining which was distinct/separate or a spin off, but I'd rather rewatch my dvds than watch a different bunch of actors try to play the same roles.

Slayer
    Thanks

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/79595

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER 2020?? Fox Chief Says If Joss Whedon Wants To Bring It Back To Televison, It’s Back On Television!!

Published at: March 13, 2018

I am – Hercules!!

“When Joss decides it’s time, we’ll do it. And until Joss decides it’s time, it won’t happen,” Fox Television Chief Gary Newman just told attendees at Jerusalem’s INTV Conference.

The thing is, Whedon may not want to go forward without Sarah Michelle Geller, and Geller has been pretty meh about giving “Buffy The Vampire Slayer” the same treatment TV has lately given “Twin Peaks,” “Gilmore Girls,” “X-Files,” “Roseanne,” “Will & Grace,” etc. etc. etc.

“They want it until they see it and don’t like it, and then they’re like, ‘Why did you do that?! You ruined my favorite show!’ And then it all comes back down on you,” Gellar told the Huffington Post 11 months ago.

And as much as I revere The WB’s version of “Buffy,” I’m pretty sure I don’t want a revival if Whedon – who since Buffy’s cancellation has transformed himself into one of the most successful filmmakers on the planet -- isn’t running it. If Whedon co-writes the pilot then puts his sister-in-law in charge of the actual revival series, then I fear we’ll be stuck with a Buffy that’s only as good as “Agents of SHIELD” – and “Agents of SHIELD” is the first Whedon-created series I could not be bothered to acquire on DVD or Blu-ray.

A better idea to me might be a quartet of big-budget Whedon-written Netflix movies catching us up on what Giles, Willow, Xander, Spike, Faith and Oz have been up to since 2003.

Find Variety’s exclusive on the matter here.

Fox Executive Says Buffy Revival Is Discussed Frequently

https://lrmonline.com/news/fox-execu...ed-frequently/

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (14-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,984 Times in 814 Posts

They can`t seriously consider, doing it with the original cast. Even if they would find a way, to explain, why Buffy is still slaying while she is approaching her 40th birthday and why Giles hasn`t retired as a watcher yet, what would they do about Angel and Spike ? Not to mention Harmony, Drusilla, Darla (is she currently dead ? undead ? alive ?) and Gunn.

The only way for a reboot would be a recast and I agree with Stoney, that it is not very likely, that you will get another cast that works so well together and works for the characters at the same time. Which leaves a new storyline with different characters, new actors and maybe a cameo appearance from Buffy, Faith, Xander or Dawn (Angel or Spike only, if they shanshued shortly after NFA) as the only option.

That could name it "Vampire Slayer, the next Generation". I am not sure, how I would feel about it.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (14-03-18),TimeTravellingBunny (15-03-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    They can`t seriously consider, doing it with the original cast. Even if they would find a way, to explain, why Buffy is still slaying while she is approaching her 40th birthday and why Giles hasn`t retired as a watcher yet, what would they do about Angel and Spike ? Not to mention Harmony, Drusilla, Darla (is she currently dead ? undead ? alive ?) and Gunn.

The only way for a reboot would be a recast and I agree with Stoney, that it is not very likely, that you will get another cast that works so well together and works for the characters at the same time. Which leaves a new storyline with different characters, new actors and maybe a cameo appearance from Buffy, Faith, Xander or Dawn (Angel or Spike only, if they shanshued shortly after NFA) as the only option.

That could name it "Vampire Slayer, the next Generation". I am not sure, how I would feel about it.

flow
    You don't need any of the vampires. At the end of the show, Angel and Spike were not part of the cast. They were on Angel.

The biggest issue, assuming any of the cast or Joss himself was even interested, is that it's not really a revival if it's only cameos. People want more Buffy and the gang, not Buffy and the gang as mentors. I really don't think anyone wants a pure reboot. Then you have the idea of past slayers, but therein lies the hiccup that we know they die. The whole premise has an inherent Bomb Plot quality to it.

Speaking for myself, I don't want it done. If they're going to do anything, they should just keep making comic books, though I would not mind a reboot of those. A lot of the things that made Buffy great have now been copied to the point where it's become its own cliche. If it changed, it wouldn't be Buffy anymore. That's without getting into the climate in which it would be reborn into. It could even BE Buffy anymore because people have apoplexies about the smallest things.

Thanks

I cannot imagine a Buffy reboot without Spike and Angel. They are a massive part of the show and of Buffy's life and it would be ridiculous not to include them in any reboot.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (15-03-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Angel was on the show 3 out of 7 seasons. Spike was a part of Buffy life for 2.

Hey, maybe we need Riley as well. And Oz. Might as well resurrect Tara and Joyce since we apparently just want the story retold again.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,470 Times in 720 Posts

Hang on, Spike was part of the main cast since season 4. Also appeared in 2. Angel apart from brief appearances didn't carry on after season 3.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-03-18),TimeTravellingBunny (15-03-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

He was a villain in S4 to S5.5. You could say he's a part of Buffy's circle from 6-7.

The idea that Buffy, the character or show, couldn't carry on without INSERT VAMP is rather insulting. Imagine if they said the same thing after Angel left.

Thanks

But if we are talking about a Re-Boot, we are talking about taking the show as a whole, and that includes Angel and Spike. Without them, it's a different show. If you don't include Angel or Spike, why bother with Faith, who was only in one season, and a few other odd episodes. But of course, like the vampires, Faith showed us who Buffy really was, she is an intrinsic member of the show because of that. It's not about how long a character was in the show, but what they did and what their relationship to Buffy showed us about Buffy.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    He was a villain in S4 to S5.5. You could say he's a part of Buffy's circle from 6-7.

The idea that Buffy, the character or show, couldn't carry on without INSERT VAMP is rather insulting. Imagine if they said the same thing after Angel left.
    There are people who believe that the show ended at Season 3, and that the show went downhill from that point, mostly because there was no Angel. There are people who actually don't watch the show post Season 4

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (15-03-18),Stoney (15-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,080 Times in 808 Posts

It could even BE Buffy anymore because people have apoplexies about the smallest things.
    That's so true!

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    You don't need any of the vampires. At the end of the show, Angel and Spike were not part of the cast. They were on Angel.
    I cannot imagine a Buffy reboot without Spike and Angel. They are a massive part of the show and of Buffy's life and it would be ridiculous not to include them in any reboot.
    If we're talking about the finished work... and about us, old and faithful fans...

Isn't true that Angel wasn't supposed to be a vampire from the start? And that if DB hadn't got a TV show, Angel would have stayed dead? And that Spike only wasn't killed in the very beginning because of the actor who played him, and his chemistry with JL?

The story was greatly influenced by external factors, but if they wanted to go for the initial premise - just Buffy and her friends fighting evil in the Hellmouth - it could be done. I wouldn't be interested, but new viewers, who knows?.
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-03-18),Silver1 (15-03-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

But if we are talking about a Re-Boot, we are talking about taking the show as a whole, and that includes Angel and Spike. Without them, it's a different show. If you don't include Angel or Spike, why bother with Faith, who was only in one season, and a few other odd episodes. But of course, like the vampires, Faith showed us who Buffy really was, she is an intrinsic member of the show because of that. It's not about how long a character was in the show, but what they did and what their relationship to Buffy showed us about Buffy.
    If you're going to reboot, why tell the same story? You could use any old character to do the same as a rebooted Buffy would not be Buffy from 97-03. That's not a reboot you are describing, that's a remake. Who wants that? If you're going to do a revival, again, why tell the same story? You introduce other, new characters to show how those characters interact.

You don't need Faith, either, btw. Buffy (or Willow or Xander or any character) shows us who she is. Not the others.

This is not about Buffy at all. Can we just admit that? It's about fans of INSERT CHARACTER thinking their fav is the main character. The reason you don't omg need Riley is he's not a fan favorite, thus his impact on Buffy, just as big as Spike or Angel, is dismissed. It doesn't have a thing to do with her; it's about who gets her. They want her stuck in that box Spike spoke of.

- - - Updated - - -

There are people who believe that the show ended at Season 3, and that the show went downhill from that point, mostly because there was no Angel. There are people who actually don't watch the show post Season 4
    And we hold them in the highest regard, right? No, they're pretty much mocked outside of their own little circle.

- - - Updated - - -

That's so true!

If we're talking about the finished work... and about us, old and faithful fans...

Isn't true that Angel wasn't supposed to be a vampire from the start? And that if DB hadn't got a TV show, Angel would have stayed dead? And that Spike only wasn't killed in the very beginning because of the actor who played him, and his chemistry with JL?

The story was greatly influenced by external factors, but if they wanted to go for the initial premise - just Buffy and her friends fighting evil in the Hellmouth - it could be done. I wouldn't be interested, but new viewers, who knows?.
    Thank you. Fandom and its factions get caught in feedback loops. The general population is what makes up the vast, vast majority of the audience, not the 3 or 4 percent that post on boards and have blogs.

Turn out a decent product and people will come, just like they did when Buffy was rebooted the first time and when Angel left and Angel the show in general.

The problem is, on that level, I don't think Joss has any more stories to tell for these characters. And there is nothing wrong with that. That's when you know to stop.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

betta (15-03-18)

Thanks

So if the only character to be rebooted is Buffy . . . well that's fine, I have no problem with that. But I will put money on the fact that a Slayer will end up with a Vampire boyfriend. Not because of history, but because if you want to tell the most compelling story, that's the only way it can really go. The writers don't have to call him Angel of course.

If Buffy is to be single for the rest of her tv existence, that's great too. But relationships tell us who people really are, or who they could be, and to not give Buffy a romantic relationship just seems to be missing out on showing us a whole different side of Buffy.

And we hold them in the highest regard, right? No, they're pretty much mocked outside of their own little circle.
    I so wish this were true

How would you reboot the show HardlyThere or would you just not?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (15-03-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

So if the only character to be rebooted is Buffy . . . well that's fine, I have no problem with that. But I will put money on the fact that a Slayer will end up with a Vampire boyfriend. Not because of history, but because if you want to tell the most compelling story, that's the only way it can really go. The writers don't have to call him Angel of course.

If Buffy is to be single for the rest of her tv existence, that's great too. But relationships tell us who people really are, or who they could be, and to not give Buffy a romantic relationship just seems to be missing out on showing us a whole different side of Buffy.
    There are other creatures around than vampires. There are humanoid demons. There are humans. There are werewolves. Characters like Drogyn, the Immortal, or whatever an imagination can think up. Vampire/Slayer ships can be boring as well. It all depends how you tell it.

I so wish this were true
    Are you suggesting it isn't? I know who you might be thinking of, there are certainly people that disavow post-S3 and AtS as a whole, and I could not call that viewpoint respected.

How would you reboot the show HardlyThere or would you just not?
    I wouldn't at all. It's still talked about, meaning it's still relevant so there is no need to reboot.

If you mean a revival... Again, nah. I think someone not Joss might have more stories to tell but while I think he's overrated in many areas, his 90's era self is undoubtedly part of what made the show the show along with everyone else.

If you're asking how I'd like to see the verse expanded? I'd like an animated or comic series set during the shows years. Buffy, Dawn and Xander stories between 6 and 7, maybe Giles and Willow had an adventure. Stuff like that. There is plenty of story space left in the show and quite a few unanswered questions to be played on with the right talent.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-03-18),Stoney (15-03-18)