Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffy S11:Giles # 1 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

So I've been looking at my own posts from the reveal thread because I'm a shameless braggart and, it seems that, I was right. And that's hardly ever a good thing.

Oh well, he'll fail, it'll be painfully not hilarious and then I'll laugh!
    Well, I'm not laughing.

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Well I like to think positively and hope that after S8 Whedon has learnt to restrain himself

I haven't read it yet, so I can't comment, but I am worried by the negative reaction. Can it be saved in the remaining three issues, or is it downhill from here?
    It's got nothing to do with restraint. It's a wandering book with poor characterization of the one character that's supposed to ground it. Of all the HS stories to retell, why Bad Eggs?

Also vampires are still very not evil anymore.
    Last edited by HardlyThere; 01-03-18 at 07:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 655 Posts

And no...I have nothing. I had a fair idea of where A11 was going after #2. This - I read it quickly so maybe I missed something - IDK, more importantly, I don't care.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 1,606 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    And no...I have nothing. I had a fair idea of where A11 was going after #2. This - I read it quickly so maybe I missed something - IDK, more importantly, I don't care.
    I know that if you TriBel can't come up with a reasoned and thoughtful explanation for what happens in this comic, that means it really isn't worth reading. That makes me sad
    Never much cared for picket fences, anyway. Bloody dangerous.

Thanks

I know that if you TriBel can't come up with a reasoned and thoughtful explanation for what happens in this comic, that means it really isn't worth reading. That makes me sad
    There was just nothing for me to hang an idea on. I wondered whether to google the song lyrics (if it isn't Leonard or something from 70s through to the 90s I'm out of my depth) but I couldn't work up the enthusiasm. Sorry! By way of a comparison, I've just spent 30 mins checking on the Brandenburg Concerto because it's playing at the beginning of Storyteller. Oh...Spike's silly costume in Tabula Rasa? I've decided it references English detectives (Sherlock's hat, Poiret's bow-tie and Rand(y)all and Hopkirk (deceased) - I'm only half-joking! But this - absolutely nothing!
    Last edited by TriBel; 02-03-18 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks

Wow. Finally read Giles #1 and all I can say is wow. It's trippy and poetic and I have no idea who this guy is but it isn't Rupert Giles.

Who or what are the Webb Bros? That name is on a giant sign and on the trophies in the trophy cabinet. What is AIX? What is Blue Girl? There are interesting things here, and I like the art, but the writing is trying to be something meta but it just isn't good enough.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (05-03-18),Silver1 (05-03-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Wow. Finally read Giles #1 and all I can say is wow. It's trippy and poetic and I have no idea who this guy is but it isn't Rupert Giles.

Who or what are the Webb Bros? That name is on a giant sign and on the trophies in the trophy cabinet. What is AIX? What is Blue Girl? There are interesting things here, and I like the art, but the writing is trying to be something meta but it just isn't good enough.
    Blue will probably be Roux's sister and probably a slayer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    Blue will probably be Roux's sister and probably a slayer.
    It's a definite possibility Blue is a slayer. But why doesn't she fight back? I think Roux could be her ancestor rather than her sister, as haven't we already seen a panel of Roux in the historic past?

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

It's a definite possibility Blue is a slayer. But why doesn't she fight back? I think Roux could be her ancestor rather than her sister, as haven't we already seen a panel of Roux in the historic past?
    Because she'd end up in the camp, probably.

An ancestor, maybe. I just say sister because she says she has skin in the game and her name is Roux. And she knows French. Roux rhymes with Bleu. Roux=Red, Bleu=Blue.

I don't know about AIX. It could be some protection thing, keeping magic people from being seen, which could explain how the monster of the piece is able to stay hidden.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

betta (13-03-18),Priceless (05-03-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    Because she'd end up in the camp, probably.

An ancestor, maybe. I just say sister because she says she has skin in the game and her name is Roux. And she knows French. Roux rhymes with Bleu. Roux=Red, Bleu=Blue.

I don't know about AIX. It could be some protection thing, keeping magic people from being seen, which could explain how the monster of the piece is able to stay hidden.
    Yes Roux is French for Red, which ties her to the Blue Girl. The Blue Girl is still at school, and the slayers were being used as guards for the safe zone, I think Buffy is the only slayer who went into the camps as an inmate. If Blue is a slayer she has no reason not to use her powers as she's too young to be a guard (I guess)

In the image we see Roux picking cotton and using an old style sewing machine, so she's been around for a long time. Google tells me Aix means water I've no idea how that helps lol.

Why is the monster looking for its mother and what is the ex-NASA scientist doing at this run down school? And what a coincidence that he's a friend of Giles. I've got so many questions

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (13-03-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Yes Roux is French for Red, which ties her to the Blue Girl. The Blue Girl is still at school, and the slayers were being used as guards for the safe zone, I think Buffy is the only slayer who went into the camps as an inmate. If Blue is a slayer she has no reason not to use her powers as she's too young to be a guard (I guess)

In the image we see Roux picking cotton and using an old style sewing machine, so she's been around for a long time. Google tells me Aix means water I've no idea how that helps lol.

Why is the monster looking for its mother and what is the ex-NASA scientist doing at this run down school? And what a coincidence that he's a friend of Giles. I've got so many questions
    I forgot about the slayer thing. Probably just a demon/witch then. Or Joss forgot that part, too. I go with slayer because of the watcher comments.

What image?

Giles' ties to the teacher and monster are incredibly contrived.

Thanks

Joss could easily have forgotten the rules of the safe zone, but I'm going to keep hoping for the best. Yes that NASA guy being Giles' friend is pretty contrived, but there could be a reason for it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (13-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 520 Posts

Finally I reread it.

So, we have teen Giles back to High School; I've been pleased with kid Giles since S10, but I really didn't need to see him as a student – even if undercover.

I don't know why this HS obsession; in this very first issue, we are already dealing with bullies importuning a (apparently) shy girl, students being caught in the hallway by the security guard and taken to the Principal's office, the boy (Giles!) crushing on the pretty girl, teachers... missing teachers anyway. Why not choose another scenario? The streets? A theater? A hospital, Disneyland, pretty much anything else would work better for me.

And the dialogue seems an effort to show some... cleverness? Affectation? Pretentiousness?

Said that, the story seems to have potential.

Giles – or rather, Ralph Columbo – arrives at Living Legend and Charter High School to investigate vampire killings; he's 16 (according to himself). Not soon enough, he meets a black girl called Roux, thinks she's hot, and ends up with her at the Principal's office, where they bond. Later, she saves his ass (from the bullies), revealing herself to him as a vampire. Giles stills thinks she's hot. They agree to work together; when things get sorted out, he may kill her.

I like Roux, and her being a vampire makes things interesting. She's evil (or is supposed to be) but runs around the school protecting a girl in a blue dress. Why is she “looking after” Blue Girl? Is the girl her descendant? And if she is, why does her vampire great great grandmother give a shit about her? And why Roux hasn't been sent to the internment camp, since all vampires should? (As soon as Giles arrived, he noticed that there were a “hoodie fever” at the school: vampires protecting themselves from the direct sun light?) Roux is a French name (and it's written in the ceiling at the school), she speaks French and she has a tattoo in her wrist, AIX: what does it all mean? So many questions!

There's is a monster that is kidnapping and killing people, and it knows Giles: calls him “mother”. And coincidentally, an old British acquaintance of Giles, Lloyd Addison, is the Math and Science teacher – although when Rupert finds him he is in no way able to teach anyone anything.

There is also a Mrs. Vega, who thinks “all men are monsters, it's just a matter of degrees”, and is hiding herself in a “lead-lined foreman's office, a vestige of an old bomb factory”; as the place blocks “radiation, gamma rays, x-rays and alpha particles”, it has been preventing the woman to be affected by what others in the cafeteria couldn't be shielded from (“a slow-motion palooza at warp speed”). Her discourse is a little crazy, though, involving bats, hounds and mirrors, which confuses Giles... and me.

But, yeah, Giles can still go to interesting places.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

flow (13-03-18),Priceless (13-03-18),Stoney (13-03-18),TriBel (13-03-18)

Thanks

betta, it sounds like you enjoyed it? I think you and I are the only ones who are intrigued by all the mysteries. I'm not sure we'll find out all the answers in just four issues, but I think it's an interesting read.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (13-03-18)

Thanks

Thanks Betta - maybe I'll read it again. Addison means "Son of Adam" - Lloyd has a variety of meanings - including "grey" and can also be used as a surname or a first name. It's also the name of the demon who restored Spike's soul. Significant? AIX in French place names means means water (compare with "Drusilla" "commonly means dew, but is also used for other liquids; pure water or even blood"). In French, Roux can mean "red-haired" or King (Interesting that in S11 Willow mentions having a vampire girl-friend). Vega - the closest I can get is "(Spain and Spanish America) a large grassy plain or valley". Interesting because of Sunny DALE - also Spike's trigger song "...in the valley below". Valley is often a spatial metaphor for what's between a woman's legs.

There's an interesting exposition on the name here: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Vega

involving bats, hounds and mirrors
    are fairly commonplace Gothic symbols - quite cliched in fact.

Seems to me the text is a cultural/multi-cultural mixing pot. It certainly seems to be combining genres - detective, Sci-fi, horror etc.

I presume Columbo refers to the fictional detective? I couldn't find a reference to any fictional detectives called Ralph but - interestingly - there's a real life detective in New York who's also an exorcist

"A seventeen-year NYPD veteran, Ralph Sarchie works out of the 46th Precinct in New York's south Bronx. But it is his other job that he calls "the Work": investigating cases of demonic possession and assisting in the exorcisms of humanity's most ancient--and most dangerous--foes. Now he discloses for the first time his investigation into incredible true crimes an inhuman evil that were never explained, solved, or understood except by Sarchie and his partner. Schooled in the rituals of exorcism, and an eyewitness to the reality of demonic possession, Ralph Sarchie has documented a riveting chronicle of the inexplicable that gives a new shape to the shadows in the dark.

In 'Beware the Night,' he takes readers into the very hierarchy of a hell on earth to expose the grisly rituals of a Palo Mayombe priest; a young girl whose innocence is violated by an incubus; a home invaded by the malevolent spirit of a supposedly murdered nineteenth-century bride; the dark side of a couple who were, literally, the neighbors from hell; and more. Ralph Sarchie's NYPD revelations are a powerful and disturbing documented link between the true-crime realities of life and the blood-chilling ice-grip of a supernatural terror." Wikipedia.

The African American writer Walter Mosley wrote Devil in a Blue Dress (later made into a film with D. Washington). I wonder if there's a connection? His detective, Easy Rawlins, had an inner voice that spoke to him.

There's is a monster that is kidnapping and killing people, and it knows Giles: calls him “mother”
    . Hmm...why am I not surprised at "mother"?

I'm not claiming any of the above are relevant - just that they could be.

And the dialogue seems an effort to show some... cleverness? Affectation? Pretentiousness?
    Sigh...probably all three.
    Last edited by TriBel; 13-03-18 at 11:40 AM.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

betta (13-03-18),Priceless (13-03-18),Stoney (13-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,060 Times in 3,784 Posts

I have bought the digital copy of this but just haven't gotten around to reading it yet (or Fray which has arrived too!). I'll likely get to them after I've finished the fanfic I'm in. I'm always behind.

Thanks

betta, it sounds like you enjoyed it? I think you and I are the only ones who are intrigued by all the mysteries. I'm not sure we'll find out all the answers in just four issues, but I think it's an interesting read.
    Yes, focusing on the mysteries made it a better reading. I'm intrigued by Roux, her past as a (probable) slave (this is new to BtVS), her link to the school (why is her name on the ceiling?), and why she cares about Blue Girl; I don't think Blue is a Slayer – no need of protection if she were.

And there's demon that knows Giles and calls him "mother"; is it another "dealing with dark magic issue" from his misspent youth that is coming to bite his ass, again? I just hope they do this a little differently from Eyghon. And that friend of his working at the school is contrived, but anyway, I want to know which will be his role – or just maybe it isn't a coincidence he is there with Giles...

And if Giles is having a crush on a soulless vampire – how this'll affect his opinion (retroactively) about Buffy and her vampire?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    In French, Roux can mean "red-haired" or King (Interesting that in S11 Willow mentions having a vampire girl-friend).
    It's a place in France, too (Aix-en-Provence), but I know nothing about slavery in France, so Roux may have born in a colony. Yeah, Willow did mention it, but now is Giles who is fancying a soulless vampire...

Seems to me the text is a cultural/multi-cultural mixing pot. It certainly seems to be combining genres - detective, Sci-fi, horror etc.

I presume Columbo refers to the fictional detective?
    It remembered me of him, too: I used to watch Columbo, with his iconic coat...

Hmm...why am I not surprised at "mother"?
    Yeah, you've called it first!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

TriBel (13-03-18)

Thanks

I presume Columbo refers to the fictional detective? I couldn't find a reference to any fictional detectives called Ralph but - interestingly - there's a real life detective in New York who's also an exorcist
    Ralph made me think of the film King Ralph, that Xander mentions in Tabula Rasa, and Clavus so brilliantly referenced in her review of that episode. It's about an American who finds he has royal blood and has to take over as the British monarch, essentially pretending to be something he's not. I don't know if these mentions of Ralph are meant to be read in the same way.

Roux's name being French makes me think of New Orleans, Louisiana and the deep south, which I guess ties in with slavery and cotton plantations.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (13-03-18)

Thanks

There's a Columbo lookalike called Ralph Berkley .

29. The Following User Says Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-03-18)

Thanks

Giles Issue #2

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (16-03-18),BAF (16-03-18),Silver1 (16-03-18),Stoney (16-03-18)