Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buffy S11:Giles # 1 Issue Discussion Thread(Full Spoilers)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 605 Posts

Oh god, just end the pain now Joss. You obviously have lost the knack for writing this show long ago, and on a more personal level I've always hated his view on why they did this To Giles "To make him relevant again". That was such a smack in the face. Like making him a kid somehow makes him more relevant, whatever that means. *sigh*

Thanks
    Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,901 Posts

I think there is a sense of Giles walking in Buffy's shoes maybe. That he is the high school student falling for a vampire, knowing it's wrong. He's the one faced with a demon and he has to fight alone.

Though 'locked in a springtime that will never bloom' is a bit of a cringey line
    Never much cared for picket fences, anyway. Bloody dangerous.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (16-03-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

C'mon, Giles. Get it together. Clear your head.
    Rupert. His name is Rupert! Nobody refers to himself/herself, in his/her own thoughts, using their last name! Are they using machine learning to write this trash? Jesus.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (16-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,682 Times in 2,054 Posts

I find the dialogue really difficult to read. It's too convoluted and wordy and it feels very disjointed. I find myself having to re-read the same panels several times just to follow the story. And, again, this just sounds nothing like Giles. I can't "hear" ASH saying these words at all.

But...

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    Rupert. His name is Rupert! Nobody refers to himself/herself, in his/her own thoughts, using their last name! Are they using machine learning to write this trash? Jesus.
    I do disagree with this. Giles refers to himself as "Giles" on many occasions. The first example that comes to mind is when he's talking to himself in Buffy VS Dracula -- "Oh, good show, Giles. Uhh... at least you didn't get knocked out for a change." If he refers to himself by his last name when talking to himself out loud there's no reason he wouldn't refer to himself by his last name when talking to himself in his head.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (16-03-18),Priceless (16-03-18),Silver1 (16-03-18),Stoney (16-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 629 Posts

I'm still wasting my time with the comic, what can I say...

What's "Special ED"? Would there be some relevance about the fact he is missing? It seems there is a focus on him.

And what about this mirror? When you can see yourself outside the mirror you will solve the riddle within???
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-04-18),Silver1 (13-04-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 605 Posts

I can't help but think Whedon dropped the ball with doing this. Imo he should have done a Ripper comic series, something people have have crying out for since the show ended and the proposed BBC series came to nothing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

betta (13-04-18)

Thanks

Anyway, since it's all we have for now...

As TriBel said in the other thread, Melaka's tattoo

makes an appearance at the basement on the Giles comic:

However, at the end of BtVS S11, nothing that important or life changing seemed to have happened to Giles:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-04-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

The tattoo/sign is an international biological hazard symbol. It's in the school because it used to be a bomb factory. Fray has it because it's a popular tattoo design. I don't think there's anything more to it.
    Last edited by a thing of evil; 13-04-18 at 10:53 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

betta (13-04-18),Silver1 (13-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    The tattoo/sign is an international biological hazard symbol. It's in the school because it used to be a bomb factory. Fray has it because it's a popular tattoo design. I don't think there's anything more to it.
    Still, its appearance is quite showing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,895 Times in 794 Posts

@ Betta - unless adult Giles has already entered an alternative universe? Gone through "the looking-glass"? Remember Angel was scrying in A11 and went time travelling. There could be an overlap we're not aware of. Perhaps it's something to do with changing Illyria's past - Ill be honest - I didn't pay much attention to her part of the story.

The "hybrid magic technology": Hybridity (a cross between two separate races, plants or cultures) is the direction I thought the 'verse was heading since S7. How can I put this? I thought at the end of 7 that Buffy and Spike did love each other but wouldn't be together until social conditions would support hybridity. A little bit like mixed race marriage was unthinkable at one time. I don't want to use race as a specific analogy because it was more than this, and of course, magic's involved but it works to a certain degree. Hybridity is why I wouldn't be surprised by (but I'm not insisting on) a Spuffy baby. The reference to Hamilton: I read this as a reference to multiculturalism so it didn't surprise me (and it does support the race analogy).

However, where I've been thrown is I was anticipating metaphorical multiverses not real ones!

You really are a star producing all these images - thanks!

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

betta (14-04-18),Priceless (14-04-18)