Thread: Spike Leaving

Thanks
    Thanked 8,011 Times in 3,846 Posts

Default Spike Leaving

Did Spike do the right thing in leaving at the end of A Part Of Me and why didn't Buffy ask him to stay?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,003 Times in 5,407 Posts

I think it was a good thing for him, he was drawing a line in what he wanted in a relationship with Buffy and being kept on the outskirts, feeling like he represented the dark place wasn't that. In many ways it held him back and what we see him explore in how he feels in the mini and onwards in S10 etc in how he joins the gang and looks for that sense of belonging underlines this.

I don't think Buffy asked him to stay for the reasons that he wanted to leave, she was still placing him apart from her 'real' life, escaping to the fire exits/rooftops to talk, having time out on the bugship from her 'real' life, looking to his support in the abortion but not considering a normal relationship with him. You can see as he leaves that she is considering if it is a mistake (isn't there an overlap in the line which goes to the next panel/scene change about it being a mistake?), but she was still uncertain what she wants. His return at the season end is clearly something she appreciates but his return for Dawn really drew a line and the shift in his status in the group most likely was the prompt to consider dating him openly finally. Coming to see the option which had always been there in front of her in a different light, or however she put it to Andrew.

Anyway, these are just my immediate/unedited thoughts because I'm supposed to be watching Smashed right now for the review, not browsing the new posts, ha!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (27-02-18),Priceless (27-02-18),SpuffyGlitz (29-05-18)

Thanks

I agree with you Stoney, but I think it would have also worked if he'd have stayed. He loved Buffy, and she was obviously lost and confused. So confused that she hadn't actually realised he still loved her, which seems ridiculous after all they'd gone through.

I wish Buffy hadn't simply offered him an excuse to stay, but had been more open with her feelings, though we know that's not Buffy's way. As a shipper, I just wish they had tried to sort out their issues sooner, so we could have had them together longer. It feels now a little will-they/won't-they, when we know they eventually have to, because there is no one for Buffy than Spike and vice versa

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (27-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 882 Posts

Buffy asked him to stay - but in her not committing way: using Simone's threat.

I think commiting to Spike was difficult for her at that time, her insecurities got the better of her - same feelings Spike was having after their first night together when he was so immensely happy that he couldn't even fall asleep, fearing when he woke up she was gone, or when later he thought it was better they broke up to avoid hurting too much.
    My Tumblr: Dog is My Copilot

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (27-02-18),SpuffyGlitz (29-05-18)

Thanks

I think they were kept apart for so long in an effort to placate non-Spuffy shippers and make the relationship more palatable for them. They were kept apart from AtS S5 to the last third of S8 in 2010 and didn't actually become a couple until Seaons 10 in 2015. That's a long long time If each season is a year, then from them joining forces in Season 2 to becoming a real couple in Season 10 is 8 years and in actual time it's 17 years. I just find it mind boggling that it took that long

Sorry, I'm rambling now and not making any sense. My main point is perhaps that it just took too damn long (and I'm a little bit nervous that Joss is going to destroy it in S12 )

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (27-02-18),GoSpuffy (27-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,003 Times in 5,407 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I agree with you Stoney, but I think it would have also worked if he'd have stayed. He loved Buffy, and she was obviously lost and confused. So confused that she hadn't actually realised he still loved her, which seems ridiculous after all they'd gone through.
    I think they were both really uncertain where they stood during S9 which makes a lot of sense considering them not being around each other for a time after S7 (and considering how that ended and what Spike returned during in S8). It's very tentative and uncertain on both their sides and they somewhat fall into an old dynamic they both don't really want any longer. Spike leaving gave them both a time apart to really consider the situation with distance and Spike had some important realisations about what he wanted in a wider sense, to stop wandering/belong at the same time that Buffy finally started to really challenge what she was choosing her own 'normal' to be. It isn't that it is impossible for them to have come to all that without the break apart but it was easier for them perhaps to get insight with separation/distance. On a personal development side it makes it more about their own progression I think, gaining certainty about what they want for themselves, rather than it coming from a starting point of looking to compromise. I really do think the chance to get distance and gain clarity worked well for them both and they would have been less likely to find a positive new dynamic so easily without that. The potential to lose what they had again was more real when they truly experienced parting again.

I wish Buffy hadn't simply offered him an excuse to stay, but had been more open with her feelings, though we know that's not Buffy's way. As a shipper, I just wish they had tried to sort out their issues sooner, so we could have had them together longer. It feels now a little will-they/won't-they, when we know they eventually have to, because there is no one for Buffy than Spike and vice versa
    I really liked how steadily they returned to each other, faced their feelings/insecurities individually before they then gave it a go. It made it feel considered and built towards rather than reactionary just to keep hold of each other in any way possible. They ended up in a better place with a better starting foundation from them finding a strong working relationship first, in the light and within the group rather than on the outskirts. It just put it into a different structure that was far healthier and positive in tone, if you see what I mean.
    Last edited by Stoney; 27-02-18 at 02:49 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

betta (27-02-18),GoSpuffy (27-02-18)

Thanks

And also, they had to milk that cow until the last drop, didn't they?

Yeah, Joss is to be feared: if Buffy and Spike won't break up by their own decision, something horrible coming from his head could separate them.

I just have some doubts if S12 will end with a cliffhanger (concerning ships or characters' destiny), because S11 ended up nicely wrapped up, and S12 is the last one. As DH confirmed, there will be more canon stories, but I feel they want to do them at their own time, hoping fans won't bothering them every few weeks with questions like "when we'll see THIS resolved?", "when will the next season begin?", "will there be a S_?", why did you #@$&* do this?" etc

13. The Following User Says Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (27-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,960 Times in 917 Posts

I think the intent from the first comic was to bring Buffy and Spike back together. It was done super slowly while drawing out the spuffy bAngel stuff as long as possible. I think Joss sees it as "poetic" that a slayer fell in love with a vampire. I think the complexity of it appeals to him. And I think he definitely was trying to make the relationship more palatable. I hate that Spike left but I understand that he had to to move the story forward.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

betta (27-02-18),Stoney (27-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,679 Times in 1,530 Posts

I just find it mind boggling that it took that long
    To me that is one of the reason, I can relate to them so much. It is the opposite of this cheesy fairy-tale, soap-opera love at first sight thing. It is real.

flow
    [IMG][/IMG]

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

betta (27-02-18),SpuffyGlitz (29-05-18),Stoney (27-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    To me that is one of the reason, I can relate to them so much. It is the opposite of this cheesy fairy-tale, soap-opera love at first sight thing. It is real.

flow
    Yes, their journey is everything, it feels real and it's much more interesting; and the comics did that beautifully, even with so many different writers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    I think Joss sees it as "poetic" that a slayer fell in love with a vampire. I think the complexity of it appeals to him. And I think he definitely was trying to make the relationship more palatable.
    And the mastermind pulling the strings...

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

flow (28-02-18),GoSpuffy (28-02-18)