Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Season 12 Announced!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 505 Posts

Andrew moved to Italy, and I think he won't come back. Dawn in the fight could mean the baby died. And I don't think it's a dream.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (15-06-18),SpuffyGlitz (15-06-18),TriBel (15-06-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Do you think Andrew will even make an appearance in this comic? I think we might get a throwaway line about him moving to a different city.

The cover could be a dream. It does look as though all the different groups are in different places, not all together.
    A year has passed, so all bets are off concerned who lives where. He could still be wherever he left to last run, camping out with Gunn and Connor or something. Maybe Giles' aunts flew in. Maybe Willow has a GF and they left it with her. Andrew could live across the hall, Friends-style.

I didn't mean the cover could be a dream. I meant the whole baby thing could be a dream.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (15-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,581 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    Andrew moved to Italy, and I think he haven't comes back. Dawn in the fight could mean the baby died. And I don't think it's a dream.
    Oh no, surely they wouldn't have the baby dying in the last season. That would be too sad. Unless the baby wasn't real in the first place. The baby could have been a dream or in the future or the past? I don't think they'd publicise the baby so much just to kill her off
    Never much cared for picket fences, anyway. Bloody dangerous.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (15-06-18),GoSpuffy (15-06-18),SpuffyGlitz (15-06-18),TriBel (15-06-18)

Thanks

Yeah, I really don't believe something radical will happen, no deaths of main characters, or even the baby's... and it would be just cruel. If someone dies - or Buffy is trapped in other dimension/reality - I'll be shocked!

I was thinking about Fray and her feelings for Harth

Spoiler:
    It was Fray who caused Harth's death and turning.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-06-18),Silver1 (15-06-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

Absolutely nothing of consequence happening would be a terrible end.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,581 Posts

betta I don't think Fray caused it, but I do think she does blame herself. I wonder if there is some way of re-claiming the slayer dreams from Harth, but without dusting him?
    Never much cared for picket fences, anyway. Bloody dangerous.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (16-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,543 Times in 633 Posts

The cover of Buffy on her own.

The mother can wield the child (sorry Stoney!) - in theory, she takes the child as the phallus to make up for her own lack. It's suggested that's what Anne did with Spike - he was "the centre of her world". It's understandable. Even as an upper-class women (perhaps more so as an upper-class woman - at least a lower class woman can take a job) she has no identity beyond that of mother/wife. So she clings to the child - this stops the child developing his own boundaries - a sense of self. This is why Spike's sense of self is so fluid but intrinsically bound to women/mothers. It's why his speech in Touched is sacrificial - "It has nothing to do with me". He gives her up to herself. I digress (I think).

In the first set of covers Buffy's framed by the scythe, her holster of stakes and the child. The stakes are positioned to appear as a cod-piece - they're literally standing in for the penis. In the #4 cover the holster is empty; the child is missing and she could - or could not - return for the scythe. She's devoid of everything that identifies her.

From Empty Places - and it seems to me that Buffy is - once again - in an "empty place" - just as The Reckoning is also "End of Days".

The monk walks up to a statue of Mary in an alcove, just as seen on the picture that led Spike here in the first place. He touches a secret lever, causing the statue to swing out of the way, revealing a secret compartment behind it.
    MONK Behind this, he revealed something even we didn't know was here. A secret room. (walks in; Spike and Andrew follow) He was excited, talking the whole time... destiny, that sort of thing.
    SPIKE Yeah. We hear he's a real smooth talker.
    MONK (takes a tapestry off the wall, revealing an inscription behind it) He was going on about this ancient inscription.
    ANDREW Neat.
    MONK He read it... and he didn't like what it said. His temper... He was the purest evil I've ever seen. He burned his mark upon me. And then I ran and I hid... and I listened to the others die.
    ANDREW Running away...saved your life. (Spike takes the candelabra from the monk and walks up to the inscription) What does it say?
    The inscription is Latin words written with Greek letters: Non tibi est. Ei solae tractare licet.
    SPIKE (translating) "It is not for thee. It is for her alone to wield."

Imagine you're not a "smooth talker" - imagine the words don't trip off the tongue easily Re-con-ing? Just as Urkonn can be understood as "ur-con". From the first page, the Giles mini was playing with homonyms (tail/tale). "her alone" - only her or her "on her own". The Mission (and the word was chosen deliberately because of "the mission") is dedicated to the Madonna (with or without child).

What does the scythe represent? It's not just "Vampire Slayer" - the stakes signify that. But (almost) anyone can wield a stake (is this why we see Wood wielding it with a flourish in S7?). It's something else - something that may - yet - be ineffable.

Her right foot is raised - she's moving forward without the scythe (and yet there's a thread that connects her to it). She's looking out of frame and not ahead. Why? Because moving towards the horizon would be to take an established path? Or because she doesn't need/require a path because every path she takes will take her to the same place - a non place? Is she devoid of meaning - so reborn - empty of meaning and ready to take on new meaning? Or is she "complete" without the accoutrements - full of meaning? The last time she was complete was heaven. "Elsewhere" I've seen this cover described as beautiful - to my eyes, if it's beautiful then it's in the sense of sublime. There's an article here that interests me: http://www.tate.org.uk/art/research-...ge-of-r1141419

I'm not suggesting a direct parallel with the triptych discussed in the essay but that the fundamental themes / iconography are repeated here in some form or other. It's interesting that The Telegraph describes Martin as "a painter whose apocalyptic visions prefigured Hollywood". I'm using the essay because it brings together images and the Book of Revelations.

"God determining the ultimate fate of the good and the wicked at the end of the world. The earth itself is shown being torn apart, with a terrific rift at the heart of the composition and a sickly red sun weirdly illuminating the landscape. According to the lengthy description and key published to accompany the display of the paintings in the 1850s, ‘The Supreme’ is represented in the light that illuminates ‘the whole of the heavenly scene’, with Christ enthroned accompanied by angels, and the Celestial City and the Plains of Heaven rising behind him: ‘The book of life has been opened, and the quick and the dead being judged according to their works, the avenging angel hurls the bolts of Heaven upon the condemned".

It needs to be contextualised in terms of the 'verse. For instance "the book of life" could be the Vampyre book, the article also refers to the Whore of Babylon ‘arrayed in purple and scarlet colour" (Roux? Fray?). It mentions characters "identifiable from familiar historical portraits" and I'm fairly sure the group cover is drawing on previously seen images. It references "the walls of the ‘Holy City, Jerusalem". TBH, the group walking through the portal in #2 made me think of the strait gate in Jerusalem (through which the Messiah will come). All the covers for #2 have a city backdrop.

Actually - I've no idea what I'm talking about - or rather I have but it would need 10,000 words to articulate it. I'm rambling and just throwing out ideas. I do think we could be moving back to S7 and I think the key phrase will be Willow's "It's all connected. The root systems, the molecules...the energy. Everything's connected".
    Last edited by TriBel; 16-06-18 at 11:32 AM.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

betta (16-06-18),debbicles (16-06-18),flow (16-06-18),GoSpuffy (16-06-18),Priceless (16-06-18),SpuffyGlitz (16-06-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    betta I don't think Fray caused it, but I do think she does blame herself. I wonder if there is some way of re-claiming the slayer dreams from Harth, but without dusting him?
    Yeah, it was more her irresponsible behavior, but there's the guilt feeling definitely.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

TriBel (16-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,365 Times in 544 Posts

Stoney:
    They most likely just mean the two people from one couple.
    Oh, okay. I did misunderstand that. I thought, they were speaking from Buffy`s POV and that exes meant her exes. But you are right, that they probably just referred to Angel and Buffy as exes. Makes more sense.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?