Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
Results 361 to 368 of 368

Thread: Season 12 Announced!

  1. #361
    Bronze Party-Goer debbicles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    799
    Thanked 405 Times in 120 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Ha...Harth has "Angel" hair. I'm looking for an emoji that's tapping the side of its nose but there isn't one. At the end of A11, Angel wanders off with Fred to a hotel (that isn't haunted [by his past]) just before Twilight. Hotels are transient places, temporary stops. I always thought the mirror that showed his reflection was a way of saying he's a "good man". What if the bad man (Twilight/Angelus) was stuck in a different timeline? That would make sense of Illyria's comment "You're no longer a God" - the evil God aligns with Angelus (always has done). Sorry - that's all I've got - Angel hair and a tendency to over-read.

    debbicles

    - a similar remark was made "elsewhere"
    Really? I don't go "there" at the moment.
    Less Billy Idol, more Gary Kemp. Not my cuppa at all.
    Hope they raise the stakes - so to speak - later and in the storyboards themselves.
    Vampire in Rug, I can't help but think that such an error would have been picked up on long before it ever reached the drawing board.
    You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to debbicles For This Useful Post:

    TriBel (18-05-18)

  3. #362
    Scooby Gang TriBel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Manchester, UK.
    Posts
    442
    Thanks
    1,093
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vampire in Rug View Post
    TriBel, why can’t you just accept that Angel’s reflection in season 11 was an error? Do you think Angel’s reflection is a permanent part of the story now? Do you think that if Spike becomes a “good man” he will get a reflection too?
    Because I don't think it was. Have they admitted it was? a) Because they'd already commented on Angel's inability to cast a reflection in the first issue - I think. b) because they went out of the way to draw him in the mirror. c) because I'm a Freudian by desire and design and I know the significance of mirrors in film/lit. d) I don't think Spike needs a mirror - Buffy is his mirror (mirrors can be literal or metaphorical) e) mirror is a significant metaphor when talking about identifying with the father (which is what happened in A11).

    But I'm still just guessing.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

    debbicles (18-05-18),Priceless (18-05-18)

  5. #363
    Scooby Gang flow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    503
    Thanks
    706
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 459 Posts

    Default

    Harth looks like Harry Potter with claws. This probably won‘t help.

    I am surprised, they have already returned to the present in issue 3. What is issue 4 going to be about?

    Would you expect Roux to be part of season 12, TriBel? So far she is in none of the covers.

    flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

    Will you just hold me ?

  6. #364
    Bronze Party-Goer debbicles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    799
    Thanked 405 Times in 120 Posts

    Default

    Wasn't that why Darla smashed all the mirrors when she returned as human? She couldn't endure her reflection? Angel explained to one of his crew - sorry I can't remember which one - that he was glad not to be able to see himself.
    Sorry if I'm remembering this incompletely and inaccurately.
    But if it is the case that Illyria/Fred can now see Angel in the mirror, I would interpret that as being able to accept him for all that he is, flaws and all. TriBel of course I suspect you will tell me I am missing the crucial point here. I'd love to know what it does mean.
    You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to debbicles For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (18-05-18)

  8. #365
    Scooby Gang TriBel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Manchester, UK.
    Posts
    442
    Thanks
    1,093
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by debbicles View Post
    Wasn't that why Darla smashed all the mirrors when she returned as human? She couldn't endure her reflection? Angel explained to one of his crew - sorry I can't remember which one - that he was glad not to be able to see himself.
    Sorry if I'm remembering this incompletely and inaccurately.
    But if it is the case that Illyria/Fred can now see Angel in the mirror, I would interpret that as being able to accept him for all that he is, flaws and all. TriBel of course I suspect you will tell me I am missing the crucial point here. I'd love to know what it does mean.
    Nope - I'd go along with everything you say.

    The "God" thing is slightly more complicated. Its reference point is Freud's Totem and Taboo. Point is - Angel's last memory of his father was his father telling him his badness would always come out. In A11 #10 he recovers memories of his father telling him he can be a good man. There's no reason now that Angel can't "look himself in the face".
    Last edited by TriBel; 18-05-18 at 01:17 PM.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (18-05-18)

  10. #366
    Bronze Party-Goer debbicles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    132
    Thanks
    799
    Thanked 405 Times in 120 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Nope - I'd go along with everything you say.

    The "God" thing is slightly more complicated. Its reference point is Freud's Totem and Taboo.
    Oh dear, I knew you would lose me!! Enlighten, please!!!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Edited to say you have expanded on your previous post to explain this.
    Thank you!!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Because I don't think it was. Have they admitted it was? a) Because they'd already commented on Angel's inability to cast a reflection in the first issue - I think. b) because they went out of the way to draw him in the mirror. c) because I'm a Freudian by desire and design and I know the significance of mirrors in film/lit. d) I don't think Spike needs a mirror - Buffy is his mirror (mirrors can be literal or metaphorical) e) mirror is a significant metaphor when talking about identifying with the father (which is what happened in A11).

    But I'm still just guessing.

    Re Buffy being Spike's mirror - I wonder if that is part of the significance of "You may not see it, but I do." From NLM.

    Hmm, yet more to ponder on.

    Mind you, on a frivolous note - I did always wonder how he managed to do his hair and eyeliner!!!
    You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debbicles For This Useful Post:

    Stoney (18-05-18),TriBel (18-05-18)

  12. #367
    Scooby Gang TriBel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Manchester, UK.
    Posts
    442
    Thanks
    1,093
    Thanked 1,204 Times in 476 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Harth looks like Harry Potter with claws. This probably won‘t help.

    I am surprised, they have already returned to the present in issue 3. What is issue 4 going to be about?

    Would you expect Roux to be part of season 12, TriBel? So far she is in none of the covers.

    flow
    Dunno - My reading of her is she's the logical extension of Spike. There's a pattern inasmuch as Angel seems to be constructed in relation to the father; Spike to the mother. There's no mention of Roux's parents (in a real sense - I can work with a metaphorical sense). In terms of a politico-aesthetic she's more extreme than Spike was - I can see her being an exciting challenge for a writer. Also she described as vampire/slayer/watcher. No more Slayers are called after Buffy so I can see Roux bridging the gap. If I was Whedon, I wouldn't want to lose her. Fortunately, I'm not Whedon so I can make shite up! Unfortunately, I'm not Whedon so not worth $100 million!

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

    Priceless (18-05-18)

  14. #368
    Scooby Gang betta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    541
    Thanks
    1,489
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 430 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Because I don't think it was. Have they admitted it was? a) Because they'd already commented on Angel's inability to cast a reflection in the first issue - I think. b) because they went out of the way to draw him in the mirror.
    I think this is water under the bridge, but... if the error was an error it makes still worse that the writer did make the point Angel didn't have a reflection in the beginning of the season:



    And she did go out of the way to have him reflecting in the mirror in the end.

    It wasn't fixed for the TPB - I understand that a panel is more complicated to fix then dialogue, but they should have done it anyway.

  15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

    debbicles (18-05-18),Priceless (18-05-18),Stoney (18-05-18),TriBel (18-05-18)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •