Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 12 Announced!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 398 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    Can anyone remind me of the issue number of when Buffy goes to the future?
    Season 8 #16-19. Fray also had a cameo holding her glowing Scythe during the Twilight arc. Whistler's vision of a dead world in A & F Season 9 #15 was also probably Fray's.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (06-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,914 Times in 1,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyThere View Post
    Fans drastically overestimate Buffy's importance to a company like Disney. They also don't seem to get Fox will not cease to exist any more than Marvel comics did or Lucasfilm or TWC or any other company Disney has gobbled up. Fox will be Fox just owned by Disney. There is a very, very, very small chance the comics might go to Marvel since Disney owns that and 100% of the rake is better than getting rights money every few years, but it's 9000 readers. Pretty small change to Marvel, much less Disney.

Buffy "ending" is 100% tied to low readership, not this merger.
    Not about the comic rights, which are essentially worthless, but rather about Fox's film and TV rights over not just the limited scope that Warner has, but over the entire toybox. If you don't think "Buffy" screams adaptation for either YA film or Freeform reboot you just aren't being imaginative enough.

Also, remember the last time this came up, Joss literally killed the character, when Buffy was changing networks. There was definitely a cone of uncertainty into what future the show had and how ME and the new net would mesh so he tied a huge series finale bow around his work, from which it could either go on or stop, but that no matter what, it would be different than it was (and surely 6 and 7 were tonally different than what it was if nothing else, even if UPN didn't turn into a tyrant in ways WH wasn't or make unreasonable demands, etc). This behavior has been observed, Joss compartmentalized off a story he thinks he might not maintain a firm handle of in the future so history can tell if necessary where it changed.

Part of me almost wants this to have a "Dark Tower" ending but that is probably too unfair to Buffy.

Banner by LRae12

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (29-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,000 Times in 398 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Time of Your Life spans the sixteenth to nineteenth issues of the Buffy Season 8 and is the crossover with Fray.

Do you think that Harth can go back to this point and split the timeline here? Or totally write off everything that happened after this?
    It really depends on who FDW was lying too.. Either Buffy being in the future will create that world, or by letting her go back home it will ultimately erase that world. Since I don't see them erasing Fray, The original Reckoning probably caused the Frayverse; but it will somehow be changed as the characters fight against destiny. So Buffy's world will avert it while also taking down Harth to make things a a bit better for Fray. Fray doesn't really have a rouges gallery beyond him, just the 2 Old Ones she's never met. Illyria might be able to deal with them. Harth probably wants to stamp out whatever let the Slayers come back through his sister.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-06-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 811 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Not about the comic rights, which are essentially worthless, but rather about Fox's film and TV rights over not just the limited scope that Warner has, but over the entire toybox. If you don't think "Buffy" screams adaptation for either YA film or Freeform reboot you just aren't being imaginative enough.

Also, remember the last time this came up, Joss literally killed the character, when Buffy was changing networks. There was definitely a cone of uncertainty into what future the show had and how ME and the new net would mesh so he tied a huge series finale bow around his work, from which it could either go on or stop, but that no matter what, it would be different than it was (and surely 6 and 7 were tonally different than what it was if nothing else, even if UPN didn't turn into a tyrant in ways WH wasn't or make unreasonable demands, etc). This behavior has been observed, Joss compartmentalized off a story he thinks he might not maintain a firm handle of in the future so history can tell if necessary where it changed.

Part of me almost wants this to have a "Dark Tower" ending but that is probably too unfair to Buffy.
    I'm plenty imaginative about it. I'm also a realist. Buffy is no money machine and it's already been said it's up to Joss. Since he's EPing a new show and has so far jumped on any shiny new venture NOT BTVS, it's safe to assume he's not on board. Doing it without him or the cast... I don't see it.

I can sort of agree about him killing the character off, but it's a supernatural show. Means nothing. Moreover, if Fox was really pressed to continue, the comics are getting wiped out anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DanSlayer View Post
    It really depends on who FDW was lying too.. Either Buffy being in the future will create that world, or by letting her go back home it will ultimately erase that world. Since I don't see them erasing Fray, The original Reckoning probably caused the Frayverse; but it will somehow be changed as the characters fight against destiny. So Buffy's world will avert it while also taking down Harth to make things a a bit better for Fray. Fray doesn't really have a rouges gallery beyond him, just the 2 Old Ones she's never met. Illyria might be able to deal with them. Harth probably wants to stamp out whatever let the Slayers come back through his sister.
    Her going back is what created it, as was shown in the Twilight arc. Or rather the you-know-what is what created it. This "wobbly" business is a bit of retconning since FDW is the one that brought her there (supposedly). It's the causal loop thing again.

Thanks

Well a show that was a very poor riff on "Buffy" popularity just got a Freeform reboot, hard to imagine that the actual brand name wouldn't.

Banner by LRae12

Thanks
    Thanked 8,240 Times in 3,968 Posts

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but a French site, Slayer Revival are saying (google translated )

At the level of history, this season 12 resumes after the end of the events of season 11 where it is stated that the gang spent a year in calm, far from the forces of evil. And yet, when Xander and Dawn are having a little homecoming party, familiar faces knock on the door, forcing Buffy and her friends to regain service. Faced with a horde of vampires, Wolfram & Hart and a future vampire called Harth, Buffy will find herself trapped in a temporal rift that could put an end to the Slayer line.

The 'trapped in a temporal rift' wasn't in the original CBR post. Sorry if I'm repeating old information, but I don't remember this.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

BAF (06-06-18),GoSpuffy (06-06-18),SpuffyGlitz (06-06-18),TriBel (06-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,833 Times in 2,105 Posts

Faced with a horde of vampires, Wolfram & Hart and a future vampire called Harth,
    Didn't I say I expected W&H? The problem is - I can't remember why I suggested it. Something to do with Giles - I think. Definitely, Giles has been alluding to time folding and worm-holes.
    Last edited by TriBel; 06-06-18 at 07:12 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-06-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,094 Posts

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but a French site, Slayer Revival are saying (google translated )

At the level of history, this season 12 resumes after the end of the events of season 11 where it is stated that the gang spent a year in calm, far from the forces of evil. And yet, when Xander and Dawn are having a little homecoming party, familiar faces knock on the door, forcing Buffy and her friends to regain service. Faced with a horde of vampires, Wolfram & Hart and a future vampire called Harth, Buffy will find herself trapped in a temporal rift that could put an end to the Slayer line.

The 'trapped in a temporal rift' wasn't in the original CBR post. Sorry if I'm repeating old information, but I don't remember this.
    The temporal rift part is new I believe.I don't remember that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BAF For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-06-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KingofCretins View Post
    Well a show that was a very poor riff on "Buffy" popularity just got a Freeform reboot, hard to imagine that the actual brand name wouldn't.
    What show is that? Shadowhunters? That's hardly a comparable series.

It wasn't. It's the original translated to French then back to English. Lost in translation going to and coming from.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,153 Posts

I think Kings referring to the truly awful Charmed.

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    That's not on Freeform. That's CW.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    *finger on the nose*

Execrable and derivative and it's coming back on "Freeform". "Buffy" is certainly as marketable a franchise as the Marvel C-listers "Cloak and Dagger". And that's even if in the low-end outcome BV didn't make a stab at a YA genre motion picture win. Point being, if the Disney-Fox merger goes through, a lot of exciting things happen (ESPECIALLY in Marvel) but also it becomes almost metaphysically certain we're going to see some live action Buffy of some sort, that probably doesn't involve Joss Whedon directly. Why wouldn't he want to put a bow on what he put his energy into before that happens?

EDIT: Wrong on the network, right on the overall principle about where the trends are in young adult genre TV. I know (far too much of) Buffy fandoms want the IP to basically go die in a ditch and never be reimagined in anyway, but if you think that's going to happen if Disney/BV acquires it, its wishful thinking.
    Last edited by KingofCretins; 06-06-18 at 10:11 PM.

Banner by LRae12

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KingofCretins For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (06-06-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

No one thinks it's going to die in a ditch. There seems to be this belief that anything will change on that front simply because Disney now owns the property. There is no reason to think this it will go forward with Disney any more than it would have gone forward with Fox solely owning it. Do people think Bob Iger is a huge Buffy fan just itching to reboot with or without Joss? Fox acquired Buffy along with hundreds of other properties. Any series going forward without Whedon is going to bring out the pitchforks just as they were brought out a few years ago. Now, they could say screw it and do it anyway, but it's unlikely. In very off chance they do, it will almost certainly be a full-on reboot like Charmed or Roswell. It's not going to be S8 or S13.

None of it would have a thing to do with Joss's run anyway. For the vast majority of fans, the universe ended in NFA. For a smaller group, it's ending September and even then the comics are still supposed to continue, so...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (07-06-18)

Thanks

Priceless:
    Buffy will find herself trapped in a temporal rift that could put an end to the Slayer line". The 'trapped in a temporal rift' wasn't in the original CBR post. Sorry if I'm repeating old information, but I don't remember this.
    Despite the fact it might be a mis-translation, metaphorically, metaphysically and formally, it works with the Giles mini. I don't claim to understand the physics of String Theory but I quite like the idea of string/line (or end of). In addition, given the import of the mother in both Buffy and Spike's stories, the mini and, it seems, S12, Whedon might have defined M Theory.

This from Wiki on M Theory: "Although a complete formulation of M-theory is not known, the theory should describe two- and five-dimensional objects called branes and should be approximated by eleven-dimensional supergravity at low energies. Modern attempts to formulate M-theory are typically based on matrix theory or the AdS/CFT correspondence. According to Witten, M should stand for “magic”, “mystery”, or “membrane” according to taste, and the true meaning of the title should be decided when a more fundamental formulation of the theory is known."

Mother theory - I feel vindicated!

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (07-06-18),Stoney (07-06-18)

Thanks

I'm pretty sure there will be a Buffy re-imagining, especially now Joss has become a producer on Pippa (Vampire Slayer) Grown Up Detective on Freeform and he's ending the comic version of Buffy. Everything points to it happening and I'd be really surprised if it doesn't. The time is right, so many other shows are being rebooted and Buffy certainly fits with the current zeitgeist.

Slayer
    Thanks

He's not ending comic Buffy. There will still be Buffy comics, presumably with him as EP. They're just ending the season format. It's better to end it than to have to potentially cancel or shorten a run.

Joss has EP'd TV shows before. Remember Dollhouse and AoS? Being an Exec. Producer does not mean any real involvement. In all likelihood, he is serving as a consultant to a novice showrunner just as David Greenwalt was to him on Buffy. His involvement is not an indicator of anything.

I think we all know Buffy will one day be rebooted. My point is that there is nothing in Disney's acquiring of Fox or Joss working for the first time in years to suggest that reboot is any more imminent than it ever was. While I do think there is some merit to the logic that Joss, knowing it will be rebooted, will do it himself in an attempt to have some control over it, there has been no movement that I have seen.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to HardlyThere For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (07-06-18)

Thanks

He's not ending comic Buffy. There will still be Buffy comics, presumably with him as EP. They're just ending the season format. It's better to end it than to have to potentially cancel or shorten a run.

Joss has EP'd TV shows before. Remember Dollhouse and AoS? Being an Exec. Producer does not mean any real involvement. In all likelihood, he is serving as a consultant to a novice showrunner just as David Greenwalt was to him on Buffy. His involvement is not an indicator of anything.

I think we all know Buffy will one day be rebooted. My point is that there is nothing in Disney's acquiring of Fox or Joss working for the first time in years to suggest that reboot is any more imminent than it ever was. While I do think there is some merit to the logic that Joss, knowing it will be rebooted, will do it himself in an attempt to have some control over it, there has been no movement that I have seen.
    This is the end of Buffy as we know her, and I consider that an ending. Just as the show ended one version, and some fans don't read the comics because they don't believe this is really Buffy, which I think is a valid pov. It's called The Recoking - the avenging or punishing of past mistakes or misdeeds. It feels like an ending to me.

You could be right, but I choose to think a re-imagining is likely to happen sooner rather than later. The hints and rumours have been leaked to gage the audiences reception to a reboot, the comics in this format are ending, Joss goes to Freeform, after several years out of tv, and quite frankly what else has he got lined up?

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (07-06-18),Silver1 (07-06-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Oh, I think it could very well be the end of the character. Perhaps 12 will finally complete the dream/S2 circle from S8. But the verse will continue with the others, supposedly, which doesn't suggest anything happening.

What hints have been leaked? The faux rumor from that dude?

Thanks

Oh, I think it could very well be the end of the character. Perhaps 12 will finally complete the dream/S2 circle from S8. But the verse will continue with the others, supposedly, which doesn't suggest anything happening.

What hints have been leaked? The faux rumor from that dude?
    By hints and rumours I meant Newman's comments at the conference that were heavily reported earlier this year. I do wonder if he was asked the question or just said it as part of a speech though. But either way, he put the idea out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Another hint from Editors Note Comics . . . they are replying to a Buffyington Post video about Time within the Buffyverse

@EdsNoteComics
    3m3 minutes ago
    More
    The issue out this month gives her age. No, it doesn't work with pop culture stuff. But I'll just assume things in that universe happened quicker than in our own.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (07-06-18),BAF (07-06-18),betta (07-06-18)

Thanks

By hints and rumours I meant Newman's comments at the conference that were heavily reported earlier this year. I do wonder if he was asked the question or just said it as part of a speech though. But either way, he put the idea out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Another hint from Editors Note Comics . . . they are replying to a Buffyington Post video about Time within the Buffyverse

@EdsNoteComics
    3m3 minutes ago
    More
    The issue out this month gives her age. No, it doesn't work with pop culture stuff. But I'll just assume things in that universe happened quicker than in our own.
    What does the last statement mean?

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (07-06-18),Stoney (07-06-18)