Thread: If It Were Spike's Baby

Thanks
    Thanked 9,095 Times in 4,390 Posts

Default If It Were Spike's Baby

In On Your Own Buffy thinks she's pregnant, decides to have an abortion and confides in Spike and asks for his help. Spike asks no questions and passes no judgements and just says he'll help. But I wonder if he believed he could be the father, would he be so quick to help Buffy get rid of the baby? Is he so quick to help because he doesn't think it could possibly be his child?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

flow (22-02-18),MikeB (23-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,044 Posts

It probably would have changed things if Spike thought it was his but I still think he Would have respected Buffy's decision and supported her. But I have rose coloured glasses when I watch spike and Buffy. He may have feared that it was a monster and not wanted it. He would have wanted to chat things out for sure.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (22-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    It probably would have changed things if Spike thought it was his but I still think he Would have respected Buffy's decision and supported her. But I have rose coloured glasses when I watch spike and Buffy. He may have feared that it was a monster and not wanted it. He would have wanted to chat things out for sure.
    As you know, I wear the same rose coloured glasses were Spike is concerned I think he'd have discussed it with Buffy and I like to thin that Buffy might have decided to keep the child if it were Spike's and he was committed to raising the child. She knows that when Spikes loves, he doesn't leave, and she'd know the child would be well cared for, even if she had to go out and fight demons every night.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (22-02-18),flow (22-02-18),GoSpuffy (21-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,024 Times in 5,805 Posts

Of course the fact that he knows it couldn't be his child because they haven't slept together changes things (the whole vampire issue to one side because we know that hasn't mattered at least once in the past ). That doesn't mean that I don't think he would have been supportive anyway, but his emotional focus is purely on supporting Buffy through it and that does matter in the sense that it isn't one which has conflicting pulls for him (unless he was anti abortion generally, and I don't think there was any hint towards that in how he was presented from what I remember).

It's a tricky topic really, if a couple find out that they are facing a pregnancy and the woman doesn't want to have the child but the man does, well it's an awful situation but of course it does happen. Ultimately it is the woman's body and so she has the right to choose what happens to it, but I can understand why the man would feel that their feelings should be taken into account too. But you can't force someone to carry a child and take on all the physical/emotional sides. If Spike had thought that a child could be his I would expect him to want to have a conversation about the situation, even if it was clear that Buffy didn't want to go through with the pregnancy. It would be a very emotionally difficult time if you were on different sides of the fence, even if you were able to talk it through carefully together.
    Last edited by Stoney; 21-02-18 at 11:30 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (22-02-18),Priceless (22-02-18),SpuffyGlitz (29-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,243 Times in 1,748 Posts

It is funny, that you posted that thread just now ;-)

I don`t know, what kind of help she asked for and he promised, but I could imagine, that he was above of all promising her to stand by her side, to listen to her and to not leave her alone, no matter, what decision she would make.

It is not unusual, for women, who get unexpectedly pregnant and consider an abortion, to change their mind and Keep the Baby after all.

Am I right, that she only just had found out, when she confided in him ? A decision made at that point would not necessarily have had to be the last decision. If you make judgements or demands, you will cut off any chance of talking to that person about it further.

Under these circumstances his reaction was very sensible and sensitive at the same time and I don`t think, he would or should have reacted differently, had he been the father or believed to have been the father.

And even if he would have been and she would have decided to go through with the abortion, it would have been the right thing for him to stand by her and back her up.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    It is funny, that you posted that thread just now ;-)

I don`t know, what kind of help she asked for and he promised, but I could imagine, that he was above of all promising her to stand by her side, to listen to her and to not leave her alone, no matter, what decision she would make.

It is not unusual, for women, who get unexpectedly pregnant and consider an abortion, to change their mind and Keep the Baby after all.

Am I right, that she only just had found out, when she confided in him ? A decision made at that point would not necessarily have had to be the last decision. If you make judgements or demands, you will cut off any chance of talking to that person about it further.

Under these circumstances his reaction was very sensible and sensitive at the same time and I don`t think, he would or should have reacted differently, had he been the father or believed to have been the father.

And even if he would have been and she would have decided to go through with the abortion, it would have been the right thing for him to stand by her and back her up.

flow
    Yes it is weird that I posted this thread yesterday morning and yesterday evening S12 had been announced and there's Buffy holding a baby! Spooky

I think Buffy knew she was pregnant for a while, though not too long. She confided in Dawn and then went to talk to Robin about what it was like being the child of a slayer. She felt her life was too unstable to raise a child.

I'm looking forward to seeing how she is living in S12, now that Dawn and Xander have their own place, maybe Buffy and Spike are living together, which might make Buffy feel more settled and able to raise a child. Though I'm still torn as to whether I want Buffy to have a child right now or not

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (22-02-18)

Thanks

If it was Spike's baby and Spike wanted it I don't find a reason why Buffy would have still wanted an abortion because the reasons why she wanted to abort was that she didn't think she was responsible enough as she did something so irresponsible sleeping with who she didn't even know and getting pregnant(Andrew was to be blamed there but she didn't know that and blamed herself for being irresponsible) and other reason why she met with Robin was that Slayers have low life expectancy she didn't want to bring a child in the world who is going to be like Robin full of hatred and will not have any parent but her having Spike's baby would change that as a Vampire the kid would have a very strong father to take care and protect him/her

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spuffyfreak For This Useful Post:

flow (22-02-18),GoSpuffy (22-02-18),Priceless (22-02-18),SpuffyGlitz (29-05-18)

Thanks

Spike left Buffy topless in her bedroom and apparently didn't even lock the door. Spike rejected Buffy's drunken advances. Spike had stayed away from Buffy for years. Buffy in BtVS S7 essentially had to insult Spike's manhood in "Get It Done" (B 7.15) in order for him to be the "Spike" she was wanted.

There's no evidence that Spike even made any money from being the King of an advanced alien species. Take a couple people in space. Take some stuff to the International Space Station. Spike could have easily made many millions and perhaps even billions of dollars. He apparently didn't.

Buffy in Season 9 didn't even know Spike still loved her. Given he wasn't having sex with her, he clearly wasn't in love with her.

I said that the bugs' technology likely could have made it possible for Spike to impregnate Buffy. The Fairweather sisters made it possible for Buffy to become unaging/immortal.

All the pieces were there in Season 9 to easily make Buffy/Spike forever. As-is, the actual Season makes it very frustrating that Spike didn't meet sane Drusilla. Spike was somehow so disappointed in Buffy/Spike that he very likely would have been with and stayed with sane Drusilla (if the IDW Spike miniseries is canon, there already was precedent for Spike's wanting Dru to be sane and Spike's still being at least somewhat still sexually attracted to Dru).

Season 12 should clearly be different from Season 9 given how much Buffy and Spike are in love with Season 11. Plus, Buffy and Spike aren't even relatively powerful compared to Willow, Giles, Illyria, etc. Bring in Beck and Spider and Co. and Buffy is even less needed to be an active warrior. Heck, redeem Morgan.

Finally, I consider Buffy's preference for Spike over Angel was already established in "Afterlife" (B 6.03). Buffy specifically missed and wanted to be around both Spike and Giles. Angel didn't even seem to enter her thoughts until she's informed that Angel called and wants to meet her.

Buffy's having a child with Spike post-BtVS S8 wouldn't affect her 'what about Buffy/Angel' thoughts. One of the big reasons Season 10 and after cannot actually be canon is because Buffy post-Season 8 wouldn't ever prioritize Angel's life over Spike's life.