Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buffy Season 9 Re-Read

Thanks
    Thanked 3,199 Times in 1,626 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Why not?

I wonder if we're ALL guilty of forgetting about Dawn? It bothers me that something called, The Key has never been Key. I keep on thinking she's going to be vital. Perhaps the baby we see is Buffy holding Dawn. It's also bothered me that Dawn's name has such significance.
    Dawn is not in the picture of everyone fighting the demons. She could be at home looking after the baby, or she could be doing something Key-ish . . . or it's Dawn's keyness that drags Buffy into the time warp.
    Never much cared for picket fences, anyway. Bloody dangerous.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (12-03-18)

Thanks

Guarded Part 2

I like the way this story brings Koh further into the fold, bringing him on a mission that no one else is suitable or available for. He turns on them in the end, and we're left with not knowing which side he's really on.

I love the name TinCan and the thought that social media is in fact connected to the hell dimension and Wolfram & Hart

Guarded Part 3

Kennedy mentions Giles and gets punched in the face for it. But it's good that someone has mentioned him at last.

Great fight scenes between Buffy and Koh, inter cut with Theo trying to turn off the servers, really adds to the pace of this issue.

I like that Buffy turns down a promotion at Deepscan and ends the issue saying 'I'm the slayer', she knows that's her role and I think she's glad about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Billy the Vampire Slayer - Part 1

What is the point of Billy the Vampire Slayer? I guess it's meant to be inclusive? I like Billy and Devon but I hate that they call themselves slayer and watcher . . . it feels like in it's attempt to be inclusive, it's actually trying to take over something that's only for women and make it masculine. Do they make Billy and Devon gay to soften that? Am I just being over sensitive and reading this all wrong?

Billy the Vampire Slayer - Part 2

Poor Katie.

Fray says 'jake' and Devon says 'moxie', the language just feels wrong.

And then Buffy turns up to tell them they belong. I'm happy to say we don't see a lot of Billy or Devon going forward as I remember.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (07-03-18),GoSpuffy (07-03-18)

Thanks

Wonderland - Part 1

I'm not sure about this. We've not really seen any of the other characters a talk about how coke doesn't taste the same, or that music is now all auto-tuned . . . I'm just not convinced that it's magic that gives people ideas, dreams an inspiration. Is this just Willow's The Zeppo?

Wonderland Part 2

Willow just seems to be messing everything up in this world. Marrak isn't exactly the greatest ally and Willow's had to kill two things. It seems only darkness with bring back the magic and I wonder then if it's worth having.

Willow is incredibly over-confident. She's behaving as though she's in a manic phase. This can't end well, especially when Marrak suggests that Willow's plan will create a Hellmouth.

Thanks

Wonderland - Part 3

It feels like Aluwyn is trying to trap Willow in her world. She gets rid of Marrak pretty quickly.

I like that Willow begins to think her need to restore magic is more about her need for herself then what the world needs. Marrak calling her a self-absorbed twit works too. I like how he tries to make Willow understand that she's in a 'magical opium den'.

Willow sees a vision of her friends, Xander, Buffy and Dawn, but who it the fourth person?

- - - Updated - - -

Wonderland - Part 4

Willow finally wakes up and realises this is a trick by Aluwyn to keep her here in this magical land. I think Aluwyn loves Willow.

Willow and Marrak jump to the Liminal world and here Willow contemplates becoming the Seed. She learns she has to amalgamate her dark side, that there is only one Willow

Marrack is Rack, and he's not happy. He wants to punish Willow for trying to kill him.

So if this is real it means Willow didn't kill anyone in S6.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (12-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,300 Times in 537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Marrack is Rack, and he's not happy. He wants to punish Willow for trying to kill him
    The worse part of this was that... I liked Marrack.

So if this is real it means Willow didn't kill anyone in S6.
    Another whitewashing (the other being Twangel), but this time really erasing all the really bad things Dark Willow did?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-03-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by betta View Post
    The worse part of this was that... I liked Marrack.

Another whitewashing (the other being Twangel), but this time really erasing all the really bad things Dark Willow did?
    I liked Marrak too. He seemed to be the only one who was being honest with Willow, trying to get her away from Aluwyn and her coven.

It definitely changes everything about Willow. She's not a murderer, she now doesn't have to carry that guilt around with her. It's a totally whitewash and imo reduces the complexity of Willow's character. I really wish they hadn't done this. The could have just had Marrak as a new character, they didn't have to make him Rack.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (13-03-18)

Thanks

Welcome To The Team - Part 1

It's so nice to see Xander and Dawn behaving like a real couple, with him taking care of her.

As has been mentioned in other threads, I have no idea why Billy is now living with Buffy, sleeping on the floor of her rented room. It just seems silly.

I really like Dowling, he's one of the few new characters that I do like. But I am glad they didn't try to force him and Buffy together, even though it looks as though it's going in that direction.

It's good to see Illyria here. I like the way Jeanty has drawn her, even though he makes all the women look very child-like, I think it works for Illyria.

Welcome To The Team - Part 2

Now I understand how important Billy is to the gay fans of the show and the comics, but I still don't like him here. 'I'm not just a kid, I'm also a slayer in training' . . . well, no you're not Billy. Slayers are female. I don't know if they can only be born female, and trans women can be slayers, I don't think that's been covered yet. But I'm pretty sure you can never be a slayer. (I'm even a bit annoyed that Harth gets the dreams in the future)

It also really annoys me that even the Magic Council blames Buffy for the end of magic. It seems that when she's needed, everyone thinks the best way to get her on side is to guilt trip her, and that's getting boring!

Absolutely love Xander and Dawn fighting. It's these character moments that are so important in BtVS. I love seeing Xander suffering with ptsd and taking it out on Dawn, who is so understanding of what Xander has been through. I also like Xander moving his eye patch to block out the noise, it's the sort of humorous bittersweet thing Xander would do.

Really this is a momentous moment for Buffy and the comics. Buffy is now working with demons and monsters to defeat Sev and Simone, the human threat.

Buffy immediately thinks Spike is going to help her fight Sev and Simone, but it's Koh. They and Illyria look good fighting together.

Dawn starts to fade away. This storyline really moves me. I love Dawn and I hate the thought of her vanishing, but the way it's written is very well done, with people's memories slowly fading.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (20-03-18)

Thanks

Welcome To The Team - Part 3

Xander's anger and distress are heartbreaking. It must be horrible not knowing what's happening and not be able to do anything to put it right.

We have the big reveal that Anaheed is a slayer. I like Anaheed and I'm glad she's being used more, but it's such a waste to pair her with Billy. I wonder if they were hoping for some sort of spin-off.

I like that Buffy wants to help the Magic Council and Illyria, even if it is out of guilt for destroying the seed. But it does make me wonder how Buffy is going to feel once she finds out about Frangellyria in S12

Welcome To The Team - Part 4

It makes me laugh that here Illyria says 'Under the best of circumstances, undoing the past could lead to a minor apocalype' - when we know that's exactly what she did with Angel in S11, just kept jumping from time to time.

Billy keeps whining about not being a slayer, like it's news to him. Anaheed saves his life and he's angry at her, which is just jealousy of course, because she's what he wishes to be.

I wish I cared about Illyria or Billy or Anaheed, but I don't. What I care about is Dawn fading away and Xander not coping. That story has emotion and depth and it's about characters we know and love. Everything else seems like a waste of time.

It breaks my heart when Buffy realises Dawn is fading away because she destroyed the seed. I just want to hug her and tell her that she didn't have any other choice! Xander punching the wall and blaming Buffy is just brilliant. Last year Xander was her second in command and her best friend, and now they've just moved so far apart and the thought of losing Dawn has made him turn against his once best friend. I think it's great writing, and along with the robot-abortion storyline, is the most powerful in the season.

- - - Updated - - -

The Watcher

I adore this issue. We finally learn what happened after the seed was destroyed. We see Giles' dead body and Angel doesn't remember that he was Twilight, and Xander just loses it and tries to beat him to death. It's only that Buffy stops him that Angel survives as Xander was going to stake him.

This is the first time we are told how important the Vampyr book is, because Severin and Simone want it badly.

I have every sympathy with Xander for betraying Buffy. He's in an emotional crisis, his girlfriend is 'dying' and he is so full of a rage that's been with him at least since Giles was killed.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Skippcomet (27-03-18)

Thanks

The Core - Part 1

It's here that Buffy discovers the Vampyr book is important, because Severin and Simone want it. Xander plays double agent very well. He gives Buffy just enough truth to cover up what he's really doing.

Xander is so blunt with Dawn, telling her she soon won't be here. His honesty to Dawn is pretty cruel, but I understand he's suffering and can't help himself.

Billy's there, 'I'm a full service slayer' . . . no you're not Billy, not by a long shot.

Willow is still annoying me 'I've not see you so confident since, well, before you destroyed the seed' - she's so damn judgemental and I'm fed up of her constantly blaming Buffy. I'm glad she apologises, but it just feels like too little too late.

It's great to have Spike back. He's back for Dawn, which is the important thing, he's not here for Buffy and doesn't go chasing after her to the Deeper Well.

The Core - Part 2

Buffy tells us that fighting the Magic Council is the biggest battle she's fought since destroying the Seed, and she's using the scythe again. She's slowly coming back to herself.

Strange how Andrew is baking cookies. Cookies are such a big part of this show

It's so good to see Spike and Dawn together. He's there with her, protecting her as he did in S6 . . .

Dawn - You can make it stop?

Spike - No. But I can take awasy some fo the scare

Dawn - How?

Spike - By telling you a story. About a person who can always pull me out of a funk

Dawn - Who?

Spike - You

That just brings a lump to my throat.

The Core - Part 3

There is a beautiful drawing of Fred/Illyria by Phil Noto. It's gorgeous.

I appreciated that Willow followed Buffy into the Deeper Well without a second thought. If i were in a good mood I'd say that was about loyalty and love, but I can't help but think this is another way for Willow to gain more power for herself. Buffy feels the same way too and admits she was hurt that Willow left her when she needed him most. Willow says she won't let Buffy down, she'll find the magic to cure Dawn. It's really nice to see the two of them behave like true friends again.

Dawn saying she doesn't want to die, as she's fading away, is heartbreaking. Xander sounds so brave and loving talking to her.

The Core - Part 4

Simone has a valid point, no one asked if she wanted to be a slayer. But we know a lot of slayers were called but didn't join the army or use their powers. Simone always had a choice on if or how to use the powers she was given.

Xander is great here, going against a vamped Simone and he's the only one who remembers Dawn's name. Then we see an empty sofa where Dawn should have been sitting.

Willow is to birth a new seed of magic. but it is going to take a very long time, which they don't have.

Illyria says ' Even at the height of my power, I was unable to alter the past' - is that true? What does that mean for Angel S11, if anything? Was it only Angel that changed the past, not Illyria?

The Core - Part 5

The Core has to be one of the most exciting arcs in S9, as well as being the most emotional. There's so much going on. Simone has wounded Buffy. The scoobies are trapped in the Deeper Well along with Koh. Maloker is going to kill them. Illyria is with Severin, trying to stop him destroying the world before the scoobies can make their escape. And there is some cheesy banter which I enjoyed;

Maloker - Slayer Blood . . .

Buffy - . . . Demon Breath

Severin transfers all this power into the seed. He and Illyria sacrifice themselves to bring back magic. Just as it seems Buffy is going to escape, Simone grabs her and drags her back into the Well. Buffy kills Simone. Yay! It's a very satisfying death. The Deeper Well explodes. And Buffy crawls out of it. Also very satisfying.

Buffy has to give her blood to help recreate Dawn. It isn't just about the magic, there has to be a physical component too.

Buffy and Spike talk, she touches him and thanks him for being here for Dawn.

Buffy forgives Xander, and there's a lovely panel of Xander stood alone on the roof, contemplating what he's done.

Shock! The Vampyr book is empty! What could this mean?!

Then we see Vickie, recently turned, able to stand in the sunlight and turn into a bat. The return of magic has bought some massive changes to the world.

The Core is possibly the best arc of S9 and it's a great way to end the season. Unfortunately there is a Billy story Love v's Life that follows, but I am choosing to ignore it. It includes Billy having Slayer dreams which may be a foreshadowing of Harth Fray, but I'd rather finish the Season with the Vampyr book and the return of magic.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (30-03-18)