Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buffy Season 9 Re-Read

Thanks

freefall part 4

I agree that the art is great, really beautiful at times. And I also like the S9 start more of than the S8 start. Maybe I'm too hung up on this "robot" thing. But if Buffy's a robot with memories why does she have her slayer strength. I couldn't help but think Sev would notice she was not the real deal when draining her powers.

It hadn't occurred to me until priceless mentioned it but I think they are trying to turn Spike into Angel. Maybe that's part of the path he has to tread in order to become seen by some as a champion?

I like Koh, very entertaining, almost Anya like in his bluntness. Good to see Willow and Buff making up.
    I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

betta (15-02-18),Priceless (15-02-18)

Thanks

I hadn't thought of that GoSpuffy, why didn't Sev realise Buffy was a robot when he was trying to drain her? Maybe Andrew put a sort of spell on her so no one ever recognised her as a robot.
    Never much cared for picket fences anyway. Bloody dangerous.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (15-02-18),GoSpuffy (15-02-18)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

I couldn't help but think Sev would notice she was not the real deal when draining her powers.
    He did notice, kinda. He's got that wow...that sparks different line. You want a real plot hole though? Severin is detained/arrested by the police. He's wounded and powerless in the hospital. Next time we see him, he's free and more powerful than ever before. What, did they just let him go or something? Did he escape? How? I mean, he can't drain power from humans. It's never addressed, it's never mentioned, the season completely ignores it. It's totally lame.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

betta (15-02-18),GoSpuffy (15-02-18),Priceless (15-02-18)

Thanks

..that sparks different line
    I thought that was because she was a slayer, not his usual vampire, and the 'spark' was a soul. But it could also be, as you say, that he recognises there's something odd about her, though he's not sure what.

I'm not sure about Sev, I'll have to read a bit more before I comment

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (15-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    That makes sense. I also think she may be depressed over Giles and Angel, and so has reverted back to that teenage thing of wanting a normal life, so she doesn't have to go through anything like that again. Maybe that's also why she's not interested in talking to Willow about how to restore the seed, it's just all too much for her at the moment?
    Yeah, I think the trauma caused by Twangel, and the death of Giles, makes Buffy want "normal", her normal: to deal only with the run-of-the-mill vampires - now, zompires, and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuffyfreak View Post
    I actually like Andrew but remembering that scene is making me rethink it, they forgave him in s10 because of the pity thing. Appearently he felt left out of the group so he stole the magic book to ressurect Tara (Didn't he know what Buffy's coming back from heaven did to her or he just didn't care?) but again they forgave him very easily and spiking someone's drink no matter whatever the intension is its just as bad as rape, Buffy didn't have any idea why she was naked and who she slept with and she was so drunk that anything could have happen to her, anyone could have taken her advantage it again all comes to that Andrew is always given a clean chit just because he is human, no matter that he tried to kill Buffy and he did kill his best friend.
    Or maybe one of these days they are planning for him to finally show his real self and turn into the biggest bad?
    I like Andrew, too, and I think his many mistakes are exactly that: mistakes (I mean, after his "redemption" in S7). He haven't done anything to harm the Scoobies, on the contrary, he went to great (but very misguided) lengths to help Buffy, so they forgive him easily.

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    Andrew working on a robot arm is a clue I missed on the first read through.
    Yes, and when Spike tells Koh about him and Buffy, he mentions the BuffyBot, which is another clue... because it's a little unnecessary to tell this particular detail to a stranger.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    Maybe I'm too hung up on this "robot" thing. But if Buffy's a robot with memories why does she have her slayer strength.
    That's a good question; maybe the memories are attached to Buffy's essence, or something like that, and all have been transferred to the bot.

It hadn't occurred to me until priceless mentioned it but I think they are trying to turn Spike into Angel. Maybe that's part of the path he has to tread in order to become seen by some as a champion?
    I don't know, but Spike has started the season with this nonsense "Buffy deserves normal" (which is barely impossible since she is still the Slayer even in a world without magic); he later encourages Dowling to try something with her... would it be because all the crazyness Buffy lived in the previous months?

- - - Updated - - -

I thought that was because she was a slayer, not his usual vampire, and the 'spark' was a soul. But it could also be, as you say, that he recognises there's something odd about her, though he's not sure what.
    Yeah, I remember thinking the same (because it was Slayer's power), but could be he sensed that something was wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    He did notice, kinda. He's got that wow...that sparks different line. You want a real plot hole though? Severin is detained/arrested by the police. He's wounded and powerless in the hospital. Next time we see him, he's free and more powerful than ever before. What, did they just let him go or something? Did he escape? How? I mean, he can't drain power from humans. It's never addressed, it's never mentioned, the season completely ignores it. It's totally lame.
    There's this, too (something I wrote for my Tumblr during my rereading last year): Severin takes power from supernatural beings. The more he takes, the stronger he gets. He enters a nest with hundreds of zompires, and after killing all of them, he gets very powerful.

But how does he manage to kill more than a hundred zompires before taking the power from more than a hundred zompires?

I mean, Severin needs to touch his victims’s heads, one by one, to do it, which makes it rather difficult for him to do it to more than a hundred vampires without having the power of more than a hundred vampires.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (16-02-18),Priceless (16-02-18)

Thanks

Yeah, I remember thinking the same (because it was Slayer's power), but could be he sensed that something was wrong.
    Sev doesn't mention a 'spark' when he's draining Spike, who also has a soul and that should also register with Sev. But maybe it's because he drains Spike at the same time as Buffy and so can't distinguish another more than one soul or the amount of souls.

Yes, and when Spike tells Koh about him and Buffy, he mentions the BuffyBot, which is another clue... because it's a little unnecessary to tell this particular detail to a stranger.
    I missed this, but you are right, there was no need to tell Koh about the Buffybot

Thanks

I also saw Spike turning into Angel thing but then again he didn't leave her until he was sure she doesn't want him and still wanted to have a relationship with her so that makes him very un-Angel so my reasoning was that Spike did try to want normal for her because appearently for him that's what a good thing for an ensouled vampire to do and his soul is still new so he is still trying to learn how to do good or what is exactly good, so you know Spike is trying to do what ensouled Angel did cuz he thinks that's what he should do as a soulfull person now but he fails at it again so that makes him SPIKE soul or no soul

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spuffyfreak For This Useful Post:

betta (Yesterday),GoSpuffy (Yesterday),Priceless (Yesterday)

Thanks

In Space No One Can Hear You Slay

So Buffy is having a vacation aboard the bug ship. Just her and Spike having a weekend away together (apart from the 23 bugs). How romantic. Accept that Irene-bug has been bitten by a zompire. This is a cute issue, full of bug related puns and silliness, including an Alien cross-over.

- - - Updated - - -

Slayer Interrupted

We open on a dream, with the first slayer telling Buffy 'you are not the slayer'. Now we know Buffy is a robot, but when this issue came out, I wonder what readers thought.

Buffy also says Xander is her best friend. She may think of Willow and Xander as joint best friends, but I think this is more likely to mean that Buffy and Willow's relationship really has been damaged by the end of magic. Although Willow was distant in S8 and Xander was by Buffy's side throughout the season, so this isn't anything new. I like that Willow brings this up herself later on, questioning whether she was still Buffy's 'bestie'.

I'm not really a fan of Moline's art. It's a big change from Jeanty's more child-like rounded Buffy. Moline makes the characters look older, which isn't a bad thing.

This is the first reference to Giles not being here. I wonder why it's taken so long, when I would think it would always be at the forefront of Buffy's mind.

I've never noticed before how Buffy's clothes change when she's in the dream state. In the real world she has a robot (what a clue!) on the front and in dreamstate she has wings on the back. I wonder what the significance of that is?

There's a nice callback to the death of the unnamed slayer, so we know that she's still remembered.

What a shocker of an ending, bet that stunned a lot of fans. Really enjoyed this issue. It gave so many clues to what was going on, and I didn't actually pick up on any of them

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

betta (Yesterday)

Thanks

I missed this, but you are right, there was no need to tell Koh about the Buffybot
    Now I don't remember if Spike mentioned the BuffyBot to Koh or Dowling...

- - - Updated - - -

In the real world she has a robot (what a clue!) on the front
    Wow, I missed that.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to betta For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Today)

Thanks

I'm missing "in space no one can here you slay". Can anyone email me a PDF?
    Last edited by GoSpuffy; Yesterday at 08:54 PM.

Thanks

Thanks

Is that the whole thing? It looks like just the first few pages ? But thank you for trying.

Thanks

Sorry GoSpuffy, I should have checked it. I'll keep looking for another copy

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (Today)

Thanks

Freefall Part 1 was a very enjoyable issue to read! I loved all the party scenes. I'll try to write more about it, but I was so impressed with the many hints Joss gave us about Buffy's real condition.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag