Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Things, I don`t like to read in fanfics....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,883 Times in 1,618 Posts

Default Things, I don`t like to read in fanfics....

Hi,

I want to have a list of things, you truly dislike to read in fanfics. i am not talking about bad characterisation or plotholes in General. i stumble about the same things, that annoy me in fanfics again and again and again.

I want to say, that i have never ever written a fanfic and I admire everybody, who has the skills, talent and Courage, to do so. I am not judging any of the things, i Name, I am just saying, that i don`t like them personally. I hope this is okay for everybody.

So let`s get started:

I don`t like Spike calling Tara Glinda. He never ever did in the show. Not a single time.

I don`t like Spike calling Xander whelp. If I remember correctly, he did once in the show, but not inflationary.

I dont like Spike calling Joyce mum. I don`t even knoe, where that comes from.

I don`t like the Gem of Amara being used as a plot device. They destroyed it for a reason in the show.

I don`t like claims. Whose idea were they ? Were they ever mentioned in the show ? I can`t remember.

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),bespangled (27-03-18),debbicles (08-04-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),GoSpuffy (07-02-18),kimothyschma (21-02-18),MikeB (20-09-18),Priceless (07-02-18),Silver1 (08-02-18),SpuffyGlitz (26-03-18),Stoney (08-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,447 Times in 4,073 Posts

Great thread flow and I agree with a lot of what you list

Some of my pet hates:

One character touching another characters lips with their fingers to stop that character talking. Has anyone ever done that in real life? It's melodramatic and ridiculous and makes me cringe.

I'm not a big fan of claims either. I think they're unnecessary. There are better ways to prove you love someone and I thinks it's just weird that you'd want to constantly hear someone else's thoughts.

Spike saying cor I think he did say it once in the show, but I still hate it. It reminds me of Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins, it's fake-English and I hate it.

I'm not a fan of character bashing . . . well not turning a friend into the big bad who Buffy may have to kill. I've often read Angel and Willow in these roles and I don't like it.

Totally agree about Spike calling Joyce 'mum', why would he do that? He loved his mum, he wouldn't want to replace her

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),bespangled (27-03-18),debbicles (08-04-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),GoSpuffy (07-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,441 Times in 5,578 Posts

I think I've heard Sosa say that Spike never calls Xander whelp in the show. And the stopping someone talking with your finger is something I've noticed in the eps since you've complained about it Pricey. If I ever see someone doing it in real life I'll definitely notice and tell you.

You've heard me say it often enough, dismissing the need for the soul post Seeing Red/S6. Just set your fic earlier and go off on a tangent before the show explored that Spike needed it. Alongside this I hate seeing Buffy apologising for everything that went wrong between them in S6, especially where it goes into clear victim blaming for the attempted rape.

Characters crying all the time. Some fics have Buffy or, less often but sometimes, Spike weeping at everything/anything.

I'm not keen on Spike calling Joyce mum either.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),debbicles (08-04-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),GoSpuffy (08-02-18),SpuffyGlitz (01-09-18),TimeTravellingBunny (08-02-18)

Thanks

Stoney I know the finger to mouth to stop someone speaking happens in the show, and I hate it, it makes me cringe every time. Joss wasn't perfect, he got that wrong, and unfortunately I can never forgive him. That's just the way I roll

Also in fanfic, I'm not a big fan of Joyce and Giles getting together. I think it loses the whole point of their existance, and I actually prefer it if they are at loggerheads in a fic.

Not a huge fan of Fuffy fics, considereing their personalities and history I find it hard to believe they'd ever get together romantically without killing each other.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),debbicles (08-04-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),kimothyschma (21-02-18),Stoney (08-02-18)

Thanks

I've discovered that I do not like writers who just re-tell the season, with a few changes to shoe-horn Spike in to it. It can be well written, but it's a bit dull because you know what's going to happen

I also dislike a re-telling of S1-3 with Spike just standing in the Angel role, so whatever happened to Angel on the show is now happening to Spike in the fic. No! Spike is not a stand-in for Angel, he deserves his own stories so just be a bit more creative.
    Last edited by Priceless; 21-02-18 at 01:41 PM.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),bespangled (27-03-18),DeepBlueJoy (20-04-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),GoSpuffy (19-02-18),kimothyschma (21-02-18),Puppet (10-11-18),Silver1 (20-02-18),Sosa lola (22-05-18),Stoney (20-02-18)

Thanks

I don`t like Spike - or anybody else - becoming a Mary Sue. In fics I have read, that mostly happens with Spiek. For whatever reason, he suddenly a goody-two-shoe, who gets everything right, understands everybody and is the perfect boyfriend, frind to all the scoobies and son-inlaw- No. That`s not Spike. And even more problematic is, that the Story suddenly becomes very dull, because nothing dramatic or tragic can happen anymore. Spike has already been there and has fixed it.

I am okay, with Spike not having a soul post sseason 6 or even loosing his soul. But I absolutely another character expressively sating: "Spike doesn`t need a soul". That makes me want to bang my head against the wall

flow

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),bespangled (27-03-18),debbicles (08-04-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),GoSpuffy (22-02-18),kimothyschma (21-02-18),Priceless (21-02-18)

Thanks

Agree with almost all of these... also:

Claims - I hate them so much I'm repeating it
    Vamp fanon - purring, magical saliva, smelling emotions, etc
    Bitey sex
    Sexy hairbrushing scenes – no! stop! ahhh!
    Giles is a controlling busybody trying to tell Buffy who she can't date
    Joyce and Spike are best friends... wut
    Willow and/or Xander are the villains
    Spike is secretly super rich... dude squats in a graveyard for the aesthetic
    Spike is wonderful and Buffy is a bitch for not seeing it
    Spike constantly quoting poetry – I dislike poetry
    Buffy/Angel and Spike/Drusilla were never truly in love
    Spike or Angel becomes half human/half vampire... all the perks and none of the downsides! yeah right
    Buffy never ages
    MEMORY LOSS
    Joyce is saved from death
    EDIT: the series rewritten with Spike taking all Buffy's big moments away from her - stop stealing her kills bro!

I've read so much fic dealing with the meaning of souls that I'm sick of it... so while I think its a worthwhile topic, I skip such paragraphs and read the story around it.

I have way more, but I'm trying not to come off as cranky as I feel today.
    Last edited by kimothyschma; 21-02-18 at 06:40 PM.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to kimothyschma For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),DeepBlueJoy (20-04-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),Priceless (21-02-18),Sosa lola (22-05-18),SpuffyGlitz (17-10-18)

Thanks

I agree with pretty much all of your pet hates kimothyshcma but I do like Spike to quote some poetry now and again love fics that use poetry to tell the story.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),kimothyschma (21-02-18)

Thanks

Priceless, I've read a few I liked, but I do find it odd that so many writers want to rewrite Spike as a good poet when he's supposed to be bloody awful. Buffy is always so charmed by it, I think that might be the part that bothers me the most! It's like it's giving in to Season 5 Spike's fantasy of giving her roses and chocolates. It feels disingenuous to me. That one really is petty though, eesh.
    Last edited by kimothyschma; 21-02-18 at 08:09 PM.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kimothyschma For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),Priceless (21-02-18),Stoney (21-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kimothyschma View Post
    Priceless, I've read a few I liked, but I do find it odd that so many writers want to rewrite Spike as a good poet when he's supposed to be bloody awful. Buffy is always so charmed by it, I think that might be the part that bothers me the most! It's like it's giving in to Season 5 Spike's fantasy of giving her roses and chocolates. It feels disingenuous to me. That one really is a petty though, eesh.
    I agree! I don't want Spike to be a good poet, that's not him, but I do like it when he quotes poetry. I've read a fantastic fic that had Spike as a poetry teacher, and I loved that. I laugh whenever Spike presents Buffy with some of his own poetry and she loves it. Love makes you blind to bad poetry (or deaf)

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),kimothyschma (21-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Love makes you blind to bad poetry (or deaf)
    Well, Buffy likes Wing Beneath My Wings, so they might really be made for each other.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kimothyschma For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),Priceless (21-02-18),Stoney (21-02-18)

Thanks

Well, Buffy likes Wing Beneath My Wings, so they might really be made for each other.
    Spike has a much better taste in music, that's a fact. But I think they both like a little poetry

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18)

Thanks

That's a big old list kimothyschma, ha. I don't mind some of it to be honest, claims, bitey sex, but a lot is just often weak writing choices. I got tired pretty quickly of fics that liked to put Willow or Xander as villains without any real foundation, as if they are just awful and we had simply failed to realise it.

Vamp fanon - purring, magical saliva, smelling emotions, etc
    I still go with those that think you can hear Spike make a growly purr sound when Dru walks in in School Hard and he turns to her. It's faint, but it's enough for me to be happy a contented purr isn't out of the question. Plus, I love big predatory cats so it makes me smile.

As for the smelling emotions, that is canon. I don't think this is the only example, but this is the one that sprang to mind:
    DRUSILLA: I smell fear.
    ANGEL: Yeah, this whole place reeks of it.
    Drusilla sinks into Spike's arms, ecstatic.
    DRUSILLA: It's intoxicating! (Fool for Love Boxer Rebellion flashback)
    Last edited by Stoney; 21-02-18 at 10:19 PM.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),debbicles (08-04-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),Puppet (10-11-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I got tired pretty quickly of fics that liked to put Willow or Xander as villains without any real foundation, as if they are just awful and we had simply failed to realise it.
    That really is the worst.

I still go with those that think you can hear Spike make a growly purr sound when Dru walks in in School Hard and he turns to her. It's faint, but it's enough for me to be happy a contented purr isn't out of the question. Plus, I love big predatory cats so it makes me smile.
    As for the smelling emotions, that is canon.
    Well, I don't like it!

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kimothyschma For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),Stoney (21-02-18)

Thanks

Great list, kimothyschma. i agree with almost everything, but especially with:

Sexy hairbrushing scenes – no! stop! ahhh!
    Joyce and Spike are best friends... wut
    Willow and/or Xander are the villains
    Joyce is saved from death
    Nobody brushes my hair but me !

One cup of hot chocolate with little marshmallows does not make you BFF with a Vampire !

Willow and Xander have both saved the world again and again. Okay, Willow also almost destroyed it, but she got back on the wagon in season 7, didn`t she ?

Why would someone want to save Joyce from death ? I love her character, but death only has an impact in fiction, if a beloved character dies. Who would have cared, if Joyce sister had died ? No one. It simply wouldn`t have worked as a plot line. There would have been no emotional reaction from the audience. Take the drama out of the drama and what you get is.....nothing.

flow

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),Ebdim9th (20-05-18),kimothyschma (22-02-18),Priceless (22-02-18)

Thanks

Some fics want to save Buffy from all the tragic things that happen to her, but in doing so they undo all her character development.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kimothyschma For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),debbicles (08-04-18),Stoney (22-02-18)

Thanks

There is something, I have noticed in sveral fics and I don`t really dislike ist, but it strikes me as odd.

Spike often says "Nah" (probably meaning No ?) and he also often says "That I do".

Are those Spikeisms ? Or is it something thay british people say ? Or ist it something, british victorian people would have said ?

flow

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),SpuffyGlitz (27-03-18)

Thanks

I don't know that they are particularly things that Spike says in the show scripts, but they aren't weird things to say. You're right 'nah' does mean no, it's just a more casual/informal word. I'd say that is definitely more commonly used, 'that I do' is perhaps a bit more of an unusual turn of phrase, but I think it fits how Spike talks and doesn't sound wrong for him to me. I doubt either have roots to Victorian times.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),flow (26-03-18)

Thanks

I have come across something else, I dislike in fanfics. Writers who use a description instead of the name for one of their protagonists. Spike and Buffy are both often referred to as "the blonde", and Angel and Cordelis as "the brunette". I have actually read a fanfic, where the four of them met and the writer wrote "the two blondes and the two brunettes sat down on the sofa..."
    Angel also is often referred to as the "ensouled vampire". It just sounds silly, if you write "the ensouled vampire poured himself a cup of coffee...."

flow

38. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),DeepBlueJoy (21-05-18),kimothyschma (20-06-18),Priceless (26-03-18),SpuffyGlitz (27-03-18),Stoney (26-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,065 Times in 971 Posts

The perfect Spike is hard to write. He should be bad but good. He shouldn't be the wisest most perfect manpire in the world and he shouldn't be completely evil either. The best stories have a flawed Spike where he's either evil yet choosing to do good or he should be good but making mistakes and screwing up. Actually that kind of goes go all the characters. I hate when one of the scoobies is the bad guy. The flaws and contradictions in the characters are what make them all so interesting.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

40. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (28-03-18),bespangled (27-03-18),kimothyschma (18-04-18),Priceless (26-03-18),Silver1 (26-03-18),TriBel (20-04-18)