Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Things, I don`t like to read in fanfics....

Thanks
    Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,709 Posts

There is another thing I recently noticed I don't like in Spuffy fanfics. It's the "Spike never leaves" doctrine. He actually leaves quite a lot. He leaves Buffy in Becoming while she is still fighting Angelus. He leaves her in Lovers Walk to deal with some uncomfortable truths. He then leaves again after the Gem of Amara debacle to go to L.A. . After he gets chipped he does stay for the rest of season four and all of season five but come season 6 and he leaves again to head to Africa. In season 7 he leaves her involuntarily by burning up in The Hellmouth but since he doesn't come back after he pops out of the amulet it still counts as leaving.

Where does the "Spike never leaves" come from? What do you think?

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (22-10-19),DeepBlueJoy (20-10-19),Priceless (20-10-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,897 Times in 4,283 Posts

That's a really going point flow. Spike does leave, though never permanently and I think it's more a case of him coming back, rather than leaving and staying away.

I think there are a couple of things that feed into the 'Spike never leaves' cliche. Firstly he stays with Dawn and helps the scoobies after Buffy dies at the end of S5. That would be the perfect time for him to leave, but the doesn't, and there is absolutely no expectation of anything on his part. This is one of Spike's greatest acts of devotion on the show.

Secondly, in S6, when Buffy ends her relationship with him, after Riley returns and decimates his crypt. This is when he could leave, as he's boiling with anger and resentment. But he doesn't, he decides to stay, even though Buffy has made it clear she wants him to leave. Of course this leads to the AR, but that leads to him getting his soul.

It also comes from S7 when Spike suggest he should leave as he's a danger to them, and Buffy says she isn't ready for him to go yet. It's such a romantic scene, beautifully written, and one that most Spuffies adore, and adds to the fiction that Spike does not leave, even when he thinks it's best for everyone.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (22-10-19),DeepBlueJoy (20-10-19),flow (20-10-19),GoSpuffy (20-10-19),thenewbuzwuzz (24-10-19)

Thanks

flow, Priceless - What's the title of the fic you're mentioning?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redtent For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (22-10-19),GoSpuffy (20-10-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,027 Posts

Yes, I want to check out that Beach one too!

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (22-10-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redtent View Post
    flow, Priceless - What's the title of the fic you're mentioning?
    It isn't by Sigyn, or the one I'm thinking of isn't, it's A Final Time For Everything by GillO.
    Last edited by Priceless; 20-10-19 at 06:44 PM.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (22-10-19),GoSpuffy (20-10-19),redtent (20-10-19)

Thanks

It's Future Perfect by Sigyn. The fic is about several possible futures for Spike and Buffy and the one we were referring to is described in chapter 6 - Aged.

https://dark-solace.org/elysian/view...5633&chapter=6

flow

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (22-10-19),GoSpuffy (20-10-19),Priceless (20-10-19),redtent (20-10-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,823 Times in 5,727 Posts

I'm sorry, I'd love to be immortal. I can't imagine ever running out of places to see and things to do. Also, I'm never too keen on stories where Spike kills himself when Buffy dies, that he feels so worthless without her and can't imagine finding purpose in existing still. I don't find it romantic but feel it lacks hope in life that isn't very in keeping with the messages of the show.

EDIT: I do agree that the limited time of life and seeing it as precious is the pov the show works to.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really think Spike leaving before he knows he loves Buffy in S2, S3 & S4 counts. After his revelation he only leaves to get his soul, so that's intended to be a temporary thing, and of course he then doesn't return after he burns in the Hellmouth. The latter I think is somewhat different anyway because he didn't control being a ghost and being tied to W&H and then the choice to stay away once he is recorporealised is a different one from leaving when you're already there. I think it is played as a significant thing though after he has returned to Buffy when he then decides to go in S9. Of course that then leads to him realising he doesn't want to wander anymore and he returns again permanently after that. I agree with Pricey that the notion that Spike doesn't leave despite these comes greatly from him staying post S5 and then remaining when Buffy asks him to in S7. And of course a great deal of the emphasis comes through considering it a character point in comparison to others who left Buffy when their relationships failed. I don't think it is entirely unwarranted but I also don't think it is as significant a character point as some fics labour it to be, and he does choose to stay away for a while post S7 and then actually deliberately leaves her in S9, even if it did end up being brief. The weight of it is greatly placed on it because of Buffy's abandonment issues, but I think the thing is that not going isn't necessarily a positive thing in every circumstance and so the significance of the comparison against other people in Buffy's life who leave is somewhat simplifying things.
    Last edited by Stoney; 20-10-19 at 08:17 PM.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (22-10-19),flow (20-10-19),GoSpuffy (20-10-19),Priceless (20-10-19),thenewbuzwuzz (24-10-19)

Thanks

As was recently mentioned in another thread, it's quite annoying when a fic writer changes their name, and so many of them do. I understand there could be many varied reasons for doing so, but unless you are there at the time, it's often hard for readers to keep up. If you're looking for a fic 10 years down the line, it can be quite frustrating.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (22-10-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,921 Times in 577 Posts

I personally find fics that show Spike living on after Buffy and taking care of his extended family fairly convincing - it makes sense to me that Spike would protect and love the children of Xander and Dawn and Willow and Buffy until the end of the world just as he promised after her death in Season Five. They would give him needed family relations and companionship and they could benefit from his strengths as an immortal demon. I’d like to think that both Spike and Angel would do this for Gunn’s children as well - and anyone else who touched their immortal lives.

God knows, I’d love an immortal vampire with a soul watching over me! They could help me with moves at the very least thanks to their supernatural strength - or maybe flash a fang at any person (or currently elected official - ahem) who was cruel to others!

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to American Aurora For This Useful Post:

flow (22-10-19),GoSpuffy (22-10-19),Priceless (22-10-19),SpuffyGlitz (22-10-19),Stoney (22-10-19)

Thanks

Yes, this! Souled Spike especially would think of others beyond Buffy. One of the best things the comics brought him in development was in opening himself to wanting to belong more than just follow his love interest. Spike would want to stay connected to other people and continue to positively affect the world around him as well as help others he cares about.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (22-10-19),flow (22-10-19),GoSpuffy (22-10-19),Priceless (22-10-19),SpuffyGlitz (22-10-19)

Thanks

I don't particularly mind Spike being immortal. For him, it is imminent to be immortal - or at least difficult to kill. What I mind is making Buffy immortal too - even more immortal than Spike is, because for her neither sunlight nor decapitating or a stake is gonna work - only for them to be able to be together for literally an eternity. I always think "Duh. There is no one on this planet I would want to be with for eternity."

On the other hand, I don't mind Spike waiting for the sunrise either. After all, he isn't really immortal. Death is always possible to happen to him. Any minute. After 120 years it doesn't make much difference anymore if he dusts because someone put a stake to his heart or because he has fallen asleep next to Buffy's dead body on a beach. If you have lived for sodding ever - as he said - it is okay to stop protecting others and to simply rest. Also - yes, he would maybe want to protect the Scooby kids. but in his life span, they are gone in the wink of an eye. The grandchildren remain. Then the great-grandchildren. by then the family tree has branched out. If Buffy, Willow, and Dawnder each have three kids and those kids each have three kids he has to watch over 27 grandchildren and that's just the second generation! When the great-grand-children arrive he is going to need a spreadsheet.

flow

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (23-10-19),Priceless (23-10-19),Stoney (22-10-19)

Thanks

I've no doubt he'd have his favourites. Ready to come if he's called on and free for a wider group, but somewhere he feels he belongs and wants to be for the majority of the time.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (23-10-19)

Thanks

I'm with flow, I like either story for Spike, immortality or death. It all depends on how well it's written.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (23-10-19),flow (23-10-19)

Thanks

Immortality or death, quite the spectrum there.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

American Aurora (26-10-19),GoSpuffy (23-10-19),Priceless (23-10-19)