Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Friend(ships)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,454 Times in 681 Posts

Default Best Friend(ships)

What friendships do you enjoy the most? Not of the romantic variety but of the straight friendship feelings? I like:

spike / Dawn
    Spike / Joyce
    Oz / Xander
    Giles / Ethan (would have loved for Ripper to have redeemed Ethan)
    Dawn / Janice (I wish we saw more of her!)
    Xander / Andrew (nerds of a feather)

I like who I am when I’m with him. I like who we are together.”

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (04-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,165 Times in 4,567 Posts

I really enjoy the friendships between Buffy/Willow, Spike/Dawn and the one that has developed in the comics between Spike/Xander. I really enjoyed Angel/Doyle in S1 of AtS and I enjoyed the Cordelia/Angel friendship more than the romance.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (04-02-18),Sosa lola (16-04-18),TimeTravellingBunny (04-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,093 Times in 2,935 Posts

I love the Xander/Willow friendship. They've been friends forever and I think the show portrays that really well. They share a history and no matter what happens, their friendship remains strong.

Thanks

I forgot! I meant to add Buffy and Tara to that list. In the beginning Buffy didn't even know what to get her for a birthday present and but by S6 she was confiding in her.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (04-02-18),TimeTravellingBunny (04-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,533 Times in 1,009 Posts

I enjoy so many friendships!

BtVS

Buffy/Xander/Willow
    Spike/Dawn
    Xander/Spike
    Xander/Riley
    Tara/Dawn
    Willow/Jenny
    Giles/Buffy
    Giles/Willow

AtS

Angel's friendship with everybody especially Doyle, Cordelia, Wesley and Kate.
    Wesley/Gunn
    Spike/Fred
    Gwen/Gunn
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sosa lola For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (04-02-18),Silver1 (04-02-18),TimeTravellingBunny (04-02-18)

Thanks

sosa Lola no xander / oz? They were great together. An opposites attract vibe to the friendship.

Thanks

I really enjoy Angel and Faith in the comics. They have a great friendship and understand each other really well. It's a shame Faith isn't working with Angel anymore.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (04-02-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,416 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    I really enjoy Angel and Faith in the comics. They have a great friendship and understand each other really well. It's a shame Faith isn't working with Angel anymore.
    I liked them better on AtS. Angel and Faith, especially in S9, was a bit too much about Faith constantly telling Angel he's awesome and doesn't have to feel bad about anything he did as Twilight. It made me like them as a combo much less than I used to.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Andrew S. (04-02-18),Priceless (04-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    I liked them better on AtS. Angel and Faith, especially in S9, was a bit too much about Faith constantly telling Angel he's awesome and doesn't have to feel bad about anything he did as Twilight. It made me like them as a combo much less than I used to.
    I don't remember them in that way, although Faith was trying to comfort Angel who was in the depths of despair over what he'd done as Twilight. I do remember she didn't agree with everything he wanted to do and was ready to dust him if things went wrong. I'm going to re-read S9 soon so it might refresh my memory and I may see the relationship in a different light. I thought A&F S9 was the best comic I'd read until BtVS S11 and I think part of that must be the central relationship because if that wasn't compelling then nothing else would have worked.

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

I love the friendships on these shows so much. Where do I start?

-- I love all incarnations of Buffy-Willow-Xander. Whether it be Buffy-Willow, Buffy-Xander, Willow-Xander. The relationships between those characters is a huge part of what made the series so great for me.

-- I loved the Angel/Cordy with a passion until the writers ruined it by making them the romance. Cordy was Angel's BFF, not his lover!

-- Cordy's reluctant friendships with each of the Scoobies is one of my favorite aspects of the early seasons. I really wish she had come back in later seasons because she played off of them so well and it would have been interesting to use a Cordy-Scoobies reunion to show much everyone had changed since high school.

-- All combinations of Cordy-Wes-Gunn was also great. I also wished the writers had capitalized on the potential of a Cordy-Fred friendship. The Cordy and Fred interactions in "That Vision-Thing" and "That Old Gang of Mine" were a lot of fun.

-- Spike and Dawn. It felt like both characters became a hundred times more awesome when they were around each other, and both seemed to open up to one another and take each other more seriously than everyone else did.

-- The Buffy-Spike friendship (that's what I call it) of late S5/early S6 was great.

-- The show never explored Anya and Tara's relationship with each other, but the little we saw of it was nice. Tara seemed to be the one Scooby in the group who had something resembling patience with Anya, and Anya did seem to genuinely like her as well.

-- Anya-Giles was awesome. I kind of ship it!

-- Oz-Cordy. Oz seemed to be the one Scooby that Cordy liked with absolutely no reservations.

-- The Angel-Wes friendship was very strained for much of AtS, but I find their dynamic extremely fascinating at all times.

-- Fred-Lorne was nice. I like Fred a lot, but everyone's love for her always felt forced and unnatural, except for Lorne. Even though it was rarely shown, I found it perfectly believable that she and Lorne were so tight and his devastation at her death really rang true to me.

-- I wouldn't really call it a friendship, but the Angel-Lilah interactions were always great. Lilah was the perfect mixture of old-school Cordelia and Spike with her interactions with Angel and the gang.

-- Agree with TimeTravellingBunny on Faith-Angel, which I thought was great at first. But then Angel & Faith ruined it by just making her kiss his ass all the time. Same reason why Angel/Cordy sucked for me in S3.

A lot of these friendships just fell apart randomly or ended with no resolution, like how Xander and Willow barely even shared scenes alone together in the later seasons, Spike-Dawn ignored each other for most of S6-S7, how Cordy just seemed to forget that Wesley was one of her best friends in mid-S3 of AtS, how S7 failed to mend the rifts between Buffy and her friends. Ships also seemed to be the death of a lot of these friendships. Spike-Dawn ended due to Spuffy, Cordy stopped giving a damn about Wes and Gunn due to Cangel, Wes-Gunn fell apart due to the love triangle stuff with Fred. It really makes me sad.
    Last edited by Andrew S.; 04-02-18 at 09:08 PM.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrew S. For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (29-05-18),Dipstick (19-10-18),GoSpuffy (04-02-18),Sosa lola (16-04-18),TimeTravellingBunny (05-02-18)

Bronze Party-Goer Fool for Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

I love Angel and Fred. Fred is my favorite character on Angel, and, even though it doesn't come up a lot, I think it's clear they love and admire each other and are great friends. My feelings on them in the comics is certainly controversial though.

Spike and Fred early season 5 was also delightful.
    Angel and Cordy before romance was very sweet.
    Buffy and Willow are great, but I think Willow and Xander were the best on Buffy.
    Hello cutie

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fool for Buffy For This Useful Post:

DeepBlueJoy (29-05-18),GoSpuffy (08-02-18),Priceless (04-02-18),SpuffyGlitz (16-04-18),TriBel (04-02-18)

Thanks

* Buffy-Willow is probably the only friendship in the Buffyverse I consistently enjoy.

* Spike-Fred has the problem of Fred’s dying and Spike/Fred making more sense than having Wes/Fred.

* Until late in BtVS S9 when
    Spoiler:
    Dawn was literally hours at-most from being dead
    , Spike-Dawn hadn’t really been friends since “Afterlife” (B 6.03).

Priceless

* Angel should have been dusted after BtVS 8.39. Faith’s mollycoddling Angel in A&F S9 ruined her awesomeness in BtVS S8.

TimeTravellingBunny

* Faith was already changed at the end of “Who Are You?” (B 4.16). Faith went to prison because of Buffy. While Faith was used in AtS to try to prop up its ratings, Buffy redeemed Faith.

One of the best things about BtVS S8: “No Future For You” is it makes clear Buffy is much more important to Faith than Angel is.

Andrew S.

* From “Prophecy Girl” (B 1.12) on, Cordelia if anything forces herself into the Scooby Gang. She remains even after the breakup with Xander. Her friendships with the Scooby members is the opposite of reluctant.

She’s so close to the Scoobies that I reason Jasmine is responsible for keeping Cordy in Los Angeles.

The Buffy-Spike friendship (that's what I call it) of late S5/early S6 was great.
    Spike in late BtVS S5 was Buffy’s Courtly Lover, Buffy possibly has a Freudian slip in “The Gift” (B 5.22) when she tells the Scoobies and Spike “I love you all.”, and Buffy/Spike were dating at-latest in “Life Serial” (B 6.05).

* Buffy clearly mended the “rifts” in her friendships with Willow and Xander by the end of BtVS S7. Arguably, she should have killed both Giles and Wood for their actions in “Lies My Parents Told Me” (B 7.17). Then Giles betrays her again in BtVS S8.

Scooby Gang
    Thanks

As an aside, MikeB, exactly how many friends have *you* killed in real life? Or are you just channeling the (a)morality of a Trump with Asperger's as you always seem to do?

Thanks

* Angel should have been dusted after BtVS 8.39. Faith’s mollycoddling Angel in A&F S9 ruined her awesomeness in BtVS S8.
    I think Faith feels like she owes Angel her life. He tried to help her in S3 BtVS, saved her life on AtS, forced her to face her responsibilities, faced down Buffy on her behalf, and supported her when she handed her self into the police. Angel has been there for Faith every step of the way, putting her before everyone else, and Faith understands that and wants to repay him. Her decision to stay with him and help him is a part of her redemption as much as it is part of him.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,533 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    sosa Lola no xander / oz? They were great together. An opposites attract vibe to the friendship.
    Must have slipped my mind! I actually wrote about the Xander/Oz relationship a while ago: Tumblr link.
    Made by Trickyboxes
    Halfrek gives Spike the curse that will change his entire life. Teenage Dirtbag

Bronze Party-Goer HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Buffy/Willow/Xander

25. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 544 Posts

Spike & Dawn - the ancient key and the relatively young vampire Dawn needs someone who doesn't try to protect her
    Buffy & Tara - I wish we had seen a lot more of them together.
    Gunn & Wesley - Before Fred was damselled into a bone between two dogs in season 4
    Angel & Wesley - that last look says it all
    Angel & Faith - pre-comic
    Spike & Illyria - because Spike has the ability to really communicate with her
    Cordy & Wesley - because...sigh
    Cordy & Angel - I love their interactions for the first few seasons before Cordy got raptured
    Spike & Giles - not sure if you can call it friendship but I would definitely watch a series with just those two

I am skipping over the Buffy, Xander & Willow triad because they're so obvious but I do love them all in every combination. Hmm...guess I am not skipping over technically.
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (17-04-18),Priceless (17-04-18),SpuffyGlitz (17-04-18)

Thanks

It’s both ironic and pathetic @skippcomet that someone who uses ill-informed ableist attacks in arguments would try to position themselves as arbiters of morality IN THAT SAME ARGUMENT. I’m sure there’s a forum somewhere on the Net for SJW Tumblr rejects. Go find it. I don’t think anyone here is going to back you up on this.
    Last edited by ghoststar; 17-04-18 at 02:18 AM. Reason: add name

Thanks
    Thanked 1,395 Times in 544 Posts

From vast experience on boards - report and don't react. I want you to stay here!
    Bottom line is, even if you see them coming, you're not ready for the big moments...The big moments are gonna come, you can't help that. It's what you do afterwards that counts. That's when you find out who you are.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (17-04-18)

Thanks

Spike and Illyria.
    I really enjoyed watching/reading their interactions in Angel Season 5/Spike & Angel After the Fall/IDW Angel comics.
    Spike was the first member of Team Angel to really accept Illyria. He didn't hold Fred's death against her. He enjoyed "testing her powers", and he give her advice at times.

It's sad that they haven't interacted since Dark Horse got the comic rights to Angel.
    Last edited by Lostsoul666; 17-04-18 at 05:01 AM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lostsoul666 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (17-04-18),TriBel (17-04-18)