Thread: Cavemen or astronauts?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,127 Times in 995 Posts

Default Cavemen or astronauts?

You know the scenario. No, they don't have weapons. I vote cavemen. Sure they're less intelligent but they're strong and fight for survival every day. The astronauts would win at math but they'd take a beating by those cavemen.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

bespangled (06-07-18),Ebdim9th (06-07-18),thenewbuzwuzz (13-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,641 Times in 4,160 Posts

Agree with you GoSpuffy, without weapons cavemen would win because they are used to fighting for survival. The astronauts would be fitter and possibly stronger, but I think they'd be a bit squeamish when it comes to bashing someone's head in

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

bespangled (06-07-18),Ebdim9th (06-07-18),thenewbuzwuzz (13-06-19),TriBel (29-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 2,190 Posts

Without weapons, I'm inclined to go for cavemen - as you both say, it's probable their natural survival instincts would be more sharply honed and they might be prepared to take a life more readily than an astronaut.That said, they'll only have rudimentary communication skills and the astronauts might be better equipped to work as a team (at what stage of development are the Cavemen). Much depends on who the astronauts are (are they scientists, engineers, military personnel, or are they people with far more money than sense merely along for the ride?). How old are they? The life expectancy for a caveman was only 30-35 - are they cavemen in their prime (what is their prime?). How isolated have they been? There's a difference between fighting a man and fighting a sabre-toothed tiger. Are the cavemen Neanderthals or Homo Sapiens? How long does the fight last (apparently cave men would be better equipped for power - the astronauts for endurance https://www.livescience.com/2747-cav...mpic-gold.html .) LOL! Where are the cave-women in this scenario? Do we have division of labour? *Grumble, Grumble* I don't know - I wish people would stop asking hard questions.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

bespangled (06-07-18),Ebdim9th (06-07-18),GoSpuffy (29-01-18),Priceless (29-01-18),Stoney (30-01-18),thenewbuzwuzz (13-06-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,813 Times in 2,273 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Without weapons, I'm inclined to go for cavemen - as you both say, it's probable their natural survival instincts would be more sharply honed and they might be prepared to take a life more readily than an astronaut.That said, they'll only have rudimentary communication skills and the astronauts might be better equipped to work as a team (at what stage of development are the Cavemen). Much depends on who the astronauts are (are they scientists, engineers, military personnel, or are they people with far more money than sense merely along for the ride?). How old are they? The life expectancy for a caveman was only 30-35 - are they cavemen in their prime (what is their prime?). How isolated have they been? There's a difference between fighting a man and fighting a sabre-toothed tiger. Are the cavemen Neanderthals or Homo Sapiens? How long does the fight last (apparently cave men would be better equipped for power - the astronauts for endurance https://www.livescience.com/2747-cav...mpic-gold.html .) LOL! Where are the cave-women in this scenario? Do we have division of labour? *Grumble, Grumble* I don't know - I wish people would stop asking hard questions.
    By life expectancy, you mean average life span? That most likely means simply that a lot of infants and children died (the same reason why average life span was low up until relatively recent human history), so their prime was probably not that different from what it would be today. Humans haven't changed much in the biological sense since the cavemen days (with the caveat that modern medicine can cure and prevent many more diseases).
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

bespangled (06-07-18),Ebdim9th (06-07-18),GoSpuffy (29-01-18),thenewbuzwuzz (13-06-19),TriBel (29-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    By life expectancy, you mean average life span? That most likely means simply that a lot of infants and children died (the same reason why average life span was low up until relatively recent human history), so their prime was probably not that different from what it would be today. Humans haven't changed much in the biological sense since the cavemen days (with the caveat that modern medicine can cure and prevent many more diseases).
    Life expectancy according to this https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...e-caveman-diet TBH, I don't know why I bothered to look it up - procrastination as usual I suppose! It was just a quick google.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (06-07-18),TimeTravellingBunny (29-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,931 Times in 1,638 Posts

I assume, that hand to hand combat is not a necessary part of the training of an astronaut. They probably learn, how to cope with zero gravity, how to repair a space ship and maybe, how to find water on a newly discorvered planet. And their ethics probably get in their way too, in a fight with the cavemen. Prime directive and that stuff, you know.

On the other hand, the cavemen are trained, fit, experienced in fighting mammuts and other cavemen and have no scruples at all.

Of course they will win :-)

flow

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (06-07-18),GoSpuffy (29-01-18),Priceless (29-01-18),thenewbuzwuzz (13-06-19),TriBel (30-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,627 Times in 5,653 Posts

I want to know context, more about the environment before placing a bet. What are the variables? Are we picking up a caveman and an astronaut and dropping them into the middle of the desert, a bare room, or down town New York? If they are average examples for height/skill/strength etc and are put into an entirely bare landscape and set against each other like in a cockfight then, weaponless, I'd expect the caveman to be more able to fight/kill in those circumstances. But anywhere that some strategic thinking could give an advantage, the odds might swing more to the astronaut.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (06-07-18),GoSpuffy (30-01-18),Priceless (30-01-18),SpuffyGlitz (12-06-19),thenewbuzwuzz (13-06-19)

Thanks

https://youtu.be/lSG2yYBXtoY

Well that certainly clears things up.

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (06-07-18),Stoney (04-02-18),TriBel (04-02-18)

Bronze Party-Goer Fool for Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

Cavemen win. Cavemen always win. Dying women don't lie.
    Hello cutie

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fool for Buffy For This Useful Post:

bespangled (06-07-18),Ebdim9th (06-07-18),GoSpuffy (04-02-18),thenewbuzwuzz (13-06-19),TriBel (04-02-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I want to know context, more about the environment before placing a bet. What are the variables? Are we picking up a caveman and an astronaut and dropping them into the middle of the desert, a bare room, or down town New York? If they are average examples for height/skill/strength etc and are put into an entirely bare landscape and set against each other like in a cockfight then, weaponless, I'd expect the caveman to be more able to fight/kill in those circumstances. But anywhere that some strategic thinking could give an advantage, the odds might swing more to the astronaut.
    LOL! By the time you've finished controlling all the variables the cavemen will have evolved enough to be running a tourist shuttle service to Mars!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fool for Buffy View Post
    Cavemen win. Cavemen always win. Dying women don't lie.
    This comment wins both the argument and the internet.

20. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

bespangled (06-07-18),Ebdim9th (06-07-18),flow (04-02-18),Fool for Buffy (11-02-18),GoSpuffy (04-02-18),Priceless (04-02-18),Stoney (04-02-18),thenewbuzwuzz (13-06-19)

Thanks

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (06-07-18),Priceless (05-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,091 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Life expectancy according to this https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...e-caveman-diet TBH, I don't know why I bothered to look it up - procrastination as usual I suppose! It was just a quick google.
    The article is right on a lot of things - there really is no such thing as cavemen in history. But given that the term men is used, I think we need to go with homo sapiens and not neanderthals. If nothing else the anthropological record is sketchy with neanderthal.

Average life span is always an average since it's impossible to calculate individual lifespan for everyone who dies even now. To get an average you add up a sum and then divide it. The data needed in this list is how many people are being followed (divider) and ages when people were at most risk of dying (to reach the sum). Even today the most critical times are infancy and early childhood - look at 3rd world and refugee population. Kids also died of accidents, infections, and diseases in larger numbers - things that we can now treat - which brings down that average. That means there are a lot of small numbers in the sum data. Next critical time for individuals is childbirth and war in modern times - ancient times would include hunting rather than war which all able bodied adults took part in. Those who survived past the critical times could live to a very ripe old age. In other words people didn't drop dead at 35, which is how too many people interpret average life span. 35 would also not feature in mean, or median.

Planet of the Apes is about...apes. Apes with technology.

Plural - cavemen and astronauts. Any modern technology would be a weapon. This is a build your own weapons scenario.

And Fred was right. Cavemen did win. All the technology of W&H was not able to prevail against ancient power. Fred died.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (06-07-18),Priceless (06-07-18),thenewbuzwuzz (13-06-19)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Although I thought it a bit convenient that Illyria's whole idea was to return in a human vessel, yet she/it didn't possess the ability to hold that vessel together. And for that matter, why didn't the gun explode, or implode in the process? And if it was possible to funnel it into that pocket universe fast enough, why couldn't they restore portions of the power to her, not enough to re-create the problem they were solving, so she could handily kick Hamilton's azz and that of the giants and whatnot crawling up from hell in that alleyway. Technology, like magick and evil, never stays buried for long ....
    Last edited by Ebdim9th; 06-07-18 at 10:55 PM.

Thanks

In my mind Tom cruise is a caveman and Justin Bieber is an astronaut so the cavemen take it again:

https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/amp/2...adalecki-resp/

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (12-06-19),Priceless (12-06-19)

Graveyard Patrol
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    In my mind Tom cruise is a caveman and Justin Bieber is an astronaut so the cavemen take it again:

Tom a 56 year old caveman Cruise beating Justin the 25 yr old astronaut hmm let me jump on the couch while I think about that one otoh human beings were much smaller back then so at least we got the height right

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BtVS fan For This Useful Post:

flow (12-06-19),GoSpuffy (12-06-19),TriBel (12-06-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post

In my mind, that's a draw and they kill each other.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (12-06-19),GoSpuffy (12-06-19)