2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (07-11-19),Stoney (07-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,239 Times in 1,046 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I had anchovis on my pizza today

flow
    Did it make you think of Dawn?

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Stoney (07-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,261 Times in 1,756 Posts

Yes, I felt like dancing and singing in front of my fridge

flow
    ................................ Banner by buffylover

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (07-11-19),Priceless (07-11-19),Stoney (07-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,810 Posts

We always sing the song when putting them on pizza.

Thanks

I'm just back from observing Remembrance Day at my local cenotaph. It was an excellent service. I'm amazed at the huge turn out. The numbers of people paying respect to those who gave us our country just seems to keep getting bigger every year. My mind is mostly on my Dad today. He's gone but not forgotten. I'm still incredulous that he signed up as a merchant marine at the tender age of 13 and sailed out into the middle of WW2.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (12-11-19),Priceless (11-11-19),Silver1 (12-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,125 Times in 4,403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    I'm just back from observing Remembrance Day at my local cenotaph. It was an excellent service. I'm amazed at the huge turn out. The numbers of people paying respect to those who gave us our country just seems to keep getting bigger every year. My mind is mostly on my Dad today. He's gone but not forgotten. I'm still incredulous that he signed up as a merchant marine at the tender age of 13 and sailed out into the middle of WW2.
    Wow, what a brave man, you are right to be proud GoSpuffy.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (11-11-19)

Thanks

Life's biggest mystery has finally been explained. If you lose a sock in the dryer it comes back to life as a Tupperware lid that doesn't fit any of your containers.
    Last edited by GoSpuffy; 12-11-19 at 07:42 PM.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (13-11-19),Priceless (12-11-19),StateOfSiege97 (12-11-19)

Thanks

Nicholas Brendon is going to read Spander fanfic. Omg.

Sosa Lola have you heard about this ???????

https://www.facebook.com/nicholasbre...type=3&theater

flow
    Last edited by flow; 19-11-19 at 11:11 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (20-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 414 Posts

So the US government might unintentionally destroy YouTube for everyone so that's great.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (22-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,810 Posts

Eh? How and what?

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

DanSlayer (21-11-19),HowiMetdaSlayer (21-11-19)

Thanks

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/...bers-new-rules

Now it may sound like a good thing about protecting kids at first but when so many people dedicate careers to it and kids and famlies enjoy it the way it is now this could have some dire consequences for internet freedom globally:

Advertisement law is very, very, strict on how, what, when, where etc. ads can target children under 13. There are ways, but they're so complex most gaming and online companies avoid it, hence why Facebook wants you to be at least 13 to make an account etc. Google owns YouTube and collects data on users through algorithms to give them targeted ads. Now because kids under 13 usually all have devices these days, they were getting targeted ads too. Super illegal. So the government stepped in but their laws are very vague. Basically anything a kid might like, or might be misconstrued as content for kids, so anything for all ages is under threat.

Content that is deemed for kids by new algorithms YouTube must put in place will be punted over to a YouTube kids section that can't be monetized, so the creators can't generate revenue off it; so most people won't make it anymore in the first place. Can't have comments there and would effectively be shadowbanned* from all of YouTube outside of themselves. Content deemed for kids but not labelled as such may personally penalize the creators with hefty fines, possibly per video which would be too expensive for most creators to keep going even if they take the offending content down. Now this is bad for people who do toy reviews and such, but stuff like Nintendo games like Pokemon and Mario could fall under this and anything deemed family-friendly is under threat too. Bye-bye family entertainment, or personal vloggers about family and parenting issues. Stuff with the words "fun" and "yeah" in the title are being caught up in this. Also potentially if something looks too colorful and appealing to kids just on sight of the thumbnail. Not a problem for the Disney properties or anyone with big pockets, but if those Buffy reactors could be deemed as something kids might like, they either move to YouTube Kids and can't make money so have no reason to do them, or are fined out of existence. Big problem for the gaming community that posts how-to guides and competitions and such on all-ages games. But the domino effect would leave a mostly empty YouTube Kids section, a lot of creators forced to shut down or move into more mature content which in itself is also not viable* and kids either leave YouTube or start watching content this was meant to stop.

Some are talking about moving to Twitch or other such platforms but this would apply to all US based companies which would screw over basically the whole internet and even effect those outside the US. It's also to crack down on things like people putting rap songs over Peppa Pig and crap like that, but it effectively kills the whole economic and interactive ecosystem of these platforms.

*Shadowban: You and people already following you can see your new content you make but everyone else can't unless they specifically search for you. Thus no way to generate a new audience. About a year ago Twitter started doing this globally with anything related to sexuality, in response to anti-trafficking laws passed in the US to crack down on online methods of prostitution. It's also partly why Tumblr banned NSFW content, lost over half its revenue and was sold to new owners whom are keeping the ban in place. Yes you can still get NSFW content on Twitter but you have to search it for yourself. A lot of LGBTQ content and sex education resources got the shadowban among others even if they weren't actually posting any nudity.

*Viable: YouTube already for the most part has banned streamers from playing Mature rated games and Twitch gives bans to people who want to be all ages if they so much as swear once in a stream. YouTube's also been accused of randomly demonetizing and shadowbanning content similar to Twitter as well. Meanwhile, a sex comedy show called Bonding on Netflix could openly post jokes about this sort of thing no problem given whose pockets were being used.

So your chances of finding some small reactor or content you like for all ages not from a big company just got shut down and all of YouTube and possibly the internet might be altered because of this.
    Last edited by DanSlayer; 21-11-19 at 03:59 AM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (22-11-19),Stoney (21-11-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 788 Posts

if those Buffy reactors could be deemed as something kids might like
    Why? Buffy's TV-14, it's not for children. Also, a 20 year old law is vague? I'm calling bullshit.

You want my take? The entire silicon valley ad-tech/quote-unquote sharing economy ecosystem, from Alphabet to Uber was built on violating laws - privacy stuff like this, labor law, competition law, advertising, taxes obviously and people are finally starting to wake up. Every time old laws are being enforced or new ones are drafted it's the same narrative - it's going to destroy youtube/the internet, except, I don't know if you've noticed, but that never actually happens. GDPR was supposed to destroy the internet, remember that?

By the way, do you guys know what prompted FTC investigation? It was Elsagate. If you want to take a deeper plunge into this particular nightmarish rabbit hole I recommend ElsaGate subreddit.

Thanks

It's unlikely Buffy would be claimed under this, but since it's something a lot of people here watch I used it as an example. Hypothetically a Smile Time thumbnail could fall under it because puppets are presumed as a kid thing. The fact that they're using a 20 year old law as basis for internet policy is problematic on its own.

The fact that YouTube itself is mostly free of responsibility and telling it's own people to get a lawyer is a problem. Several people went viral as a sort of grassroots thing thanks to YouTube and started careers out of this. That can't happen under the strictest interpretations of this. It also probably wouldn't stop another Elsagate; if people can''t make money off all ages content then all that's left for kids and famlies on YouTube is inappropriate stuff anyway. The government can't actually stop under 13s from accessing it. A post on the subreddit mentions they don't want this to be an excuse for censorship which this essentially is with the shadowban effect. So this doesn't actually solve the problem in the first place and screws over people that weren't doing anything wrong to begin with.

Like I said, the deep pockets of Disney, Netflix etc. will be fine so YouTube will still exist just very different from what it is now, and not in a good way. Do laws need to catch up? Sure. Is this the way, no. Uber has done a lot of damage to the taxi industry, Amazon to retail etc. But you can't unring the bell. People aren't going to go back to the old things and using outdated law won't force them back either.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,040 Times in 788 Posts

people that weren't doing anything wrong to begin with
    They were doing wrong. Regardless of the nature and the quality of their content, they were making profit from serving targeted advertisement to children - that's still slimy and unethical, at least in my opinion. Maybe the laws need to be updated but that doesn't mean that content creators and tech giants can just ignore them, that's not how this works. You mention big pockets - Youtube, or Alphabet Inc., is big pockets - their yearly net income is three times that of Disney (with half the employees!) and thirty times that of Netflix. They can afford to hire people to actually moderate their platform and pay their content creators as well. As to Uber - you can unring the bell. Uber is not profitable, even with their absolutely ridiculous violations of labor and tax laws, they still don't make any money. The entire company is a very expensive bet - gain market share via subsidizing the cost of rides, continue to burn investor money until you have self-riving cars, then fire all of the drivers and become profitable. Except their self-driving technology is total garbage and they will run out of money before it's anywhere near ready.

Thanks

Content creators that make stuff for all ages like most Nintendo gaming channels or Youtubers that want to entertain a general audience aren't specifically targeting kids and are getting caught up in this. Youtubers also don't always have total control over what ads are on their videos.

YouTube itself is being scummy in that they won't even hire people for this, just make algorithms to do the work for them which can often result in false positives that can't be directly appealed, as evidenced by the Tumblr mess when that started.

Netflix has massive debt and isn't traditionally profitable either but all the other companies know that the future is streaming services either way. The days of having to watch something on only cable through the network schedule are over. Uber might not be profitable and scummy, but people aren't going back to just classic taxi service-the bell stays rung. These changes don't actually help children not see ads on YouTube, just make it harder to see kids' content and more likely to see stuff not meant for them.
    Last edited by DanSlayer; 21-11-19 at 05:16 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (22-11-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,243 Posts

Imo this will greatly effect Youtube reactors, especially the Buffy ones.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

DanSlayer (22-11-19)

Thanks

YouTube is the main target but even leaving YouTube wasn't really possible before this mess. If you can tolerate the guys vulgar persona, his actual points are very solid.

(Fair Use really is crap on YouTube, big companies taking down overly negative reviews, or even a video of two people talking about a film they just saw in their car in the movie theater parking lot have all been taken down. Companies have also scooped up the revenue on videos they dispute while it's under review; even if the claim is deemed wrong in the end. So the creator loses money for no valid reason. Also three claims overall at once will cause a channel to be deleted).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqcIotNB6jw

30. The Following User Says Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (23-11-19)

Thanks

Hey Priceless,

how are Gizmo and Saffy?

flow

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (29-11-19),Stoney (29-11-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,125 Times in 4,403 Posts

They are wonderful. And strange. I'm a dog person so cats are a mystery to me. They'll come and sit and get a cuddle and be really loving, but as soon as I move to stand up or reach for a cuppa, they bolt as if I'm going to kill them! They're up the stairs like a shot

I've introduced them to the catflap, well as much as possible, and neither seems interested. They fight a lot, hissing and biting each other. But they are great really, and I'm glad I've got them.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

buffylover (29-11-19),GoSpuffy (30-11-19),Silver1 (29-11-19),Stoney (29-11-19)

Thanks

How do Canadians confuse the world ?

We measure outside temperatures in Celsius but oven temps in farenheit

We measure lengths and distances in meters but our height in feet

Cheese and deli meats are measured in kilograms but people are weighed in pounds

We speak like Americans, spell like Brits and randomly throw in French words

It's all part of a plot to take over the world

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

flow (06-12-19),Priceless (06-12-19),Silver1 (06-12-19),Stoney (06-12-19)