Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 384647484950 ... LastLast

Thread: What's On Your Mind?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,663 Times in 1,520 Posts

So... it seems John Bercow has decided you are going to stay with us a little bit longer :-)

Is he a national hero now or enemy No. 1?

flow
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks
    Thanked 12,957 Times in 5,386 Posts

I think a delay is most likely now, the deadline of the 29th March seems very unlikely to be met. I still think the overall intention to leave is being held though, it is just that it is with a far less specific/defined thought on how/when. All of this is assuming the delay is agreed of course.

Personally I'd like them to abandon the whole idea, but the vote to not have another referendum seems to have taken that off the table to me. Who knows what will happen, or when. Walking off a cliff slowly or quickly is still walking off a cliff.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,642 Times in 2,008 Posts

flow

So... it seems John Bercow has decided you are going to stay with us a little bit longer :-)

Is he a national hero now or enemy No. 1?
    Depends on whether you read The Guardian or The Daily Mail. And whether you grant an extension. Seems all we've succeeded in doing is p*** everybody off.

I went to Edinburgh on Friday. Bought Agent Carter 1 & 2 and saw some new Docs I like.

It was bloody freezing. I upset the people in the National Gallery by mentioning the (two) fires in the Glasgow Art School. My eldest told me the Dali painting I thought had significance for S7 BtVS had been returned to Glasgow. I now have to go to Glasgow (and not mention the fires).

If it wasn't so cold, I'd move to Edinburgh in a shot. Apparently, they voted 77% Remain. There was a Bollox to Brexit rally outside Waverley Station.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Stoney (19-03-19)

Thanks

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...rhouse-1174498

Buffy is now a Disney Princess. Be a while before we see anything but now things can officially be talked about and developed. Disney+ is likely to launch in the States first later this year, then likely Canada/UK/Australia next. Then a global release. Americans will see some shifts with Hulu while the rest of us get it for the first time with mostly Disney and Former Fox stuff. They'll probably add Avatarland to Disney parks. The MCU is now basically complete though Sony negotiations with Spider-Man have to start again soon.
    Last edited by DanSlayer; 20-03-19 at 06:10 PM.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DanSlayer For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (20-03-19),Priceless (20-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (20-03-19)

Thanks

Spider-Man spin-off Morbius films in Manchester's Northern Quarter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...ester-47700022

Captain America film set on Manchester street

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/manchest...00/9023638.stm

Why don't I know important stuff like this?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-03-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,960 Times in 3,811 Posts

Manchester, the new Hollywood

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (27-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,106 Posts

Well bloody article 13 passed, so thats going to make online life difficult as hell in the future.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

flow (27-03-19),Priceless (27-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (27-03-19),TriBel (27-03-19)

Thanks

Priceless:
    Manchester, the new Hollywood.
    Stop mocking! I have plans that involve transforming the Etihad into a beach and planting some palm trees round Primark. They'll never notice the difference.

Bit miffed it wasn't Iron Man 4.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (27-03-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Well bloody article 13 passed, so thats going to make online life difficult as hell in the future.
    Yes, I actually was hoping against better knowledge that people would listen to the concerns that had been voiced...

flow
    [IMG][/IMG]

16. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

TriBel (27-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Sadly in todays political arena thats thin on the ground.

They ask for peoples views and then just go out and do it anyway.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

flow (27-03-19),Priceless (27-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 688 Posts

How so? There's nothing in that directive that could make your online life difficult - what are you even worried about? I think that it's all pretty reasonable stuff. American companies are incredibly butthurt about it because of course they are, what with their long history of blatant disregard for our laws, but, like, you're not google, no?

Slayer
    Thanks
    Last edited by Silver1; 27-03-19 at 01:59 PM.

Slayer
    Thanks

I don't need to read opinions (by the way, those publications are owned by Condé Nast and Univision Communications - I doubt they're unbiased) I've read the legal text, I think that I understand it fairly well and I don't see what the fuss is about. That's why I asked you - what are you personally, specifically worried about. Not Kotaku and Wired - you.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (28-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Well If you've read what I've linked to you'd know.

Thanks

I am personally worried that people like POTN won’t be able to publish reviews on YouTube anymore.

flow
    [IMG][/IMG]

25. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (28-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

He'll be allowed as much as he is now, It's just anyone in Europe won't be able to see it, unless they use a VPN.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

flow (27-03-19)

Thanks

Yeah, I am living in Europe, so my bad

And I don’t know, what a VPN is.

flow
    [IMG][/IMG]

Slayer
    Thanks

A Virtual Private Network is a connection method used to add security and privacy to private and public networks, like WiFi Hotspots and the Internet. Virtual Private Networks are most often used by corporations to protect sensitive data. However, using a personal VPN is increasingly becoming more popular as more interactions that were previously face-to-face transition to the Internet. Privacy is increased with a Virtual Private Network because the user's initial IP address is replaced with one from the Virtual Private Network provider. Subscribers can obtain an IP address from any gateway city the VPN service provides. For instance, you may live in San Francisco, but with a Virtual Private Network, you can appear to live in Amsterdam, New York, or any number of gateway cities.
    https://www.whatismyip.com/what-is-a-vpn/

Most of the better ones sadly aren't free.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

flow (27-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

I am personally worried that people like POTN won’t be able to publish reviews on YouTube anymore.
    They will be able. Reviews, gifs, memes etc are all explicitly protected in article 17.

Member States shall ensure that users in each Member State are able to rely on any of the following existing exceptions or limitations when uploading and making available content generated by users on online content-sharing services:
    (a)quotation, criticism, review;
    (b)use for the purpose of caricature, parody or pastiche
    Check out this article from European Parliament's website - it should resolve your doubts.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Double Dutchess (28-03-19),SpuffyGlitz (29-03-19)

Slayer
    Thanks

Memes and gifs will be but not copyright images or clips on places such as Youtube.

In a similar letter, YouTube put forth an even more explicit condemnation, stating that “Article 13 threatens hundreds of thousands of jobs, European creators, businesses, artists and everyone they employ,” because its passage would turn hosting regular people’s content into a bottomless abyss of risks.

“The proposal could force platforms, like YouTube, to allow only content from a small number of large companies,” wrote YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki. “It would be too risky for platforms to host content from smaller original content creators, because the platforms would now be directly liable for that content.”

Twitch, YouTube, and other companies like Google are framing this as an attack on creators, and these companies, as the self-anointed stewards of an open internet, now seem like protectors of the people. But, really, this is about money. Article 13 is a threat to these tech companies’ bottom lines. Luckily for them, it’s also a threat to their large, professionally vocal user bases, which these companies can now marshal to their cause. I’ve seen a handful of small streamers express hope that Twitch will just pay the licensing fees because it cares so much about its community. That seems unlikely, but I’d love to be wrong.

The version of the Copyright Directive that passed today mentions “safeguards on freedom of expression” in the form of exceptions for memes and gifs as well as less stringent rules for start-up platforms. Still, Article 13 has streamers worried. Popular streamer (whose face is a possibly even more popular emote) DansGaming said on Twitter that “Twitch’s future in EU is now uncertain,” and Swedish streamer (and edgelord-in-chief of Twitch’s biggest troll community) Forsen said during a stream today that Article 13 has him considering a move to the United States.

Article 13 won’t kick in right away. The countries that comprise the EU must now accept Article 13 and its associated articles and directives, leaving room for amendments and other changes. It won’t officially go into effect until 2021.
    Last edited by Silver1; 28-03-19 at 11:53 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (29-03-19)