Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: What's On Your Mind?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,711 Times in 2,227 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I don't know how search engine optimisation works. If you google 'buffy discussions' we're the fifth result, which can't be bad. I was also pleased to see it links to the main forum page rather than the outdated home page.

I'm not sure how people find/search for these things in the main. Have formats like Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook taken over now?
    I very much doubt that. Twitter is extremely unsuited to any kind of discussion, Facebook is just slightly more suited, neither are known for big fandom discussions (as opposed to short daily news and statements), and Tumblr, which is most likely to have fandom discussions out of those three, doesn't have the best format for it either (as discussed in another thread). The now fallen-out-of-fashion and pretty much abandoned Livejournal was the only social network that could rival classic forums in that respect.

I would, however, add Youtube to the mix - it's, of course, very specific and different than any of the above, but Youtube reactions have become very popular, and there are more and more Youtube reactors who hadn't seen Buffy before choosing to do a Buffy watch. Comments under those videos (which sometimes result in long debates) are probably the most active I've seen Buffyverse fandom recently.

Torchwood Boy recently finished posting his Buffy reactions, which were quite popular. Unfortunately, due to his schedule, he had decided to do only a reactions to the limited number of episodes per season (it was supposed to be 7, but it was more than that in some seasons), with his friend and another YT reactor, Sesskasays, making the lists for him (she is a Buffy fan and is herself occasionally doing rewatch reactions for selected episodes - just a few per season). This resulted in a lot of frustration and angry comments by some fans, telling him he should have reacted to some other episodes (they didn't seem to get that he couldn't know in advance what any of them would be like), but most of the time, the comment section was fun. He ended up really loving BtVS, and even asked people if they'd want him to come back and do rewatch video reactions to all episodes, which may be in the cards eventually, but right now he's watching and reacting to Angel and has just posted the reaction to the pilot. I think he's going to be reacting to all episodes of AtS.

More recently, AfterShowReactions has also started watching and reacting to Buffy - she's not doing all the episodes, but most of them, as recommended by the viewers (she's now in season 3, and has announced she's only skipping 2 episodes, Dead Man's Party and Gingerbread), and TheMinarus is reacting to every episode and is now up to Reptile Boy. (I don't know why Prophecy Girl is missing from his playlist, I guess he forgot to add it - it's here). It was fun to hear some of his predictions for season 2 that were blatantly wrong (he thought Xander would become super badass and get together with Buffy eventually).

There are probably others as well - it seems Buffy reactions are quite a thing lately, which says a lot about the show's enduring popularity, as most shows that people choose to react to are current shows.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,976 Times in 5,393 Posts

Ah, yes, I had seen reference to Tumblr discussions recently. I've heard people in the past say that there is a lot more nasty bickering from shipping focus on the social media sites too. I'd hate to draw that kind of activity.

You'd have thought there would be a resulting interest in finding places to discuss more widely, ask questions, post ideas etc, rather than just comment on one particular person's reaction/thoughts. It's hard to know where to try and draw people from though as some places definitely only offer a lighter, more shallow level than we can get embroiled in discussing here. I'm just not sure how much of fandom want to explore the show thoroughly.
    Last edited by Stoney; 30-01-18 at 03:05 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TriBel (30-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 2,023 Posts

Look - I have an icon. This is my first ever icon (please don't tell my place of work - I've been a Cluedo piece on the institution's website for over 20 years). I don't know whether I've arrived or capitulated.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (30-01-18),Priceless (30-01-18),Silver1 (30-01-18),Stoney (30-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Look - I have an icon. This is my first ever icon (please don't tell my place of work - I've been a Cluedo piece on the institution's website for over 20 years). I don't know whether I've arrived or capitulated.
    And it's a pretty damn fine avatar too!

Is it from Just Rewards??

Thanks

And it's a pretty damn fine avatar too!

Is it from Just Rewards??
    Sigh...I've no idea! I reckon I could be "borrowing" it. I wasn't sure what the protocol was. I'm hoping that my message will make the owner feel sorry for me and let me keep it. Does that make me a bad person? TBH, I was quite surprised it uploaded!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh - Just Rewards! LOL! Yes it is! it's the "This is your fault" moment!

Thanks

Normally you'd get the OK from someone who has produced icons or they would have been made and openly offered for people to feel free to use I think. I'm not sure if there is an unofficial or official line on it.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,736 Times in 691 Posts

@buffylover
    Your best RPG? Your best Action and adventure?
    Recently? Nier: Automata. All time? It's a toss up between Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Dark Souls.

Your best Action and adventure?
    Recently - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. All time, Silent Hill 3.

@Stoney
    Outside of traditional forums like this one and LJ/DW Buffy fandom is most active on tumblr and r/buffy these days. r/buffy is, like, the biggest BtVS forum right now, though obviously, it's a different vibe, different culture and whatnot.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

buffylover (31-01-18),Stoney (30-01-18)

Thanks

I've always really loved it here, I'm not sure I'd want another place to go, I struggle to fit anything else into my spare time as it is, ha. It would be nice to see more people joining here, but there are other places I drop in on occasionally that I would hate to see this place turn into a version of. A lot of how a board feels comes down to who is on it I suppose and you never really know how it will evolve as people leave and others join. I should just be pleased there's more activity here/now and hope it continues to grow back up again without changing too much from what I love about it. I think I'm getting old enough that I'm becoming increasingly curmudgeonly about change.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (30-01-18),TriBel (31-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,000 Times in 3,835 Posts

Loving the new av TriBel. What made you decide to get one after all this time?

- - - Updated - - -

I am showing my ignorance here, but a thing of evil, what is 'r/buffy'?

Thanks

@ Priceless - Aw Shucks - I felt at home so I decided I needed a face! And I'm now driven to quote my favourite lines from Spike: "I know that it's probably about to come crashing down but right now at this moment, if only for a moment, I am home". I'll stop there because the next bits about it being a dysfunctional home. Plus I was procrastinating because I didn't want to transcribe more questionnaires completed by people with very bad handwriting!

r/Buffy - Reddit Buffy?
    Last edited by TriBel; 31-01-18 at 12:32 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (31-01-18),Stoney (31-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 912 Posts

Yes it is reddit Buffy. A thing of evil made it a link so you can touch it if you want to lurk at it

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

Thanks

Yeah links don't stand out automatically frustratingly. I tend to underline something I add a hyperlink too so that it does.

Where is that quote about 'home' from TriBel, I don't recognise it? (I'm glad you're settling in btw. )

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TriBel (31-01-18)

Thanks

Yeah links don't stand out automatically frustratingly. I tend to underline something I add a hyperlink too so that it does.

Where is that quote about 'home' from TriBel, I don't recognise it? (I'm glad you're settling in btw. )
    It's from the Spike Omnibus - when he's reunited with Dru (I know you don't like the story but the dialogue's good).

20. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Stoney (31-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,000 Times in 3,835 Posts

I know this might all crumble but at the moment this place feels really cool, and it's great we're all here together, and it's a good omen that TriBel and debbicles have both got avs at last

I shall check Reddit out, but I don't 'get' a lot of these places. I'm on Tumblr but I have no clue what it's for or how to get the best out of it, and I imagine Reddit will be the same. I just like Forums where you can chat to people and it's easy

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (31-01-18),Stoney (31-01-18),TriBel (31-01-18)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by a thing of evil View Post
    Recently? Nier: Automata. All time? It's a toss up between Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines and Dark Souls.

Recently - Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. All time, Silent Hill 3.
    My best RPG is 'Fall out 3' And the best action and adventure is 'Tomb Raider'.

Speaking of Dark Souls. This is a screencap based on my Dark Souls 3 gameplay.

The nameless King.

buffylover has done lots on this section after it faded further to try and revive it, including working on the tumblr page, but without bodies visiting, some good/regular footfall, what can be achieved seems limited.
    Yes, I'm really trying my best to contact the old members to see if there have any work so there can update that section, my biggest accomplishment so far is updates by Smth_Blue! Just taking little steps and maybe a miracle will happen!

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (31-01-18),flow (31-01-18),Stoney (31-01-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,675 Times in 1,528 Posts

I have never even heard of tumblr or reddit, before I joined the buffyverse fandome. But I happened to have been on another forum, where people often talked about discussions, they had on tumblr. There are also obviously essays, metas, pics etc, that are being posted on tumblr. Facebook is a lot about groups, and there are probably Buffyverse Groups, but I don`t know how active they are. I have never been on twitter, but I guess, it is a platform, that is not really convenient for talking in-depth about Buffy or anything else.

Of course there are also the numerous fanfic-sites and YouTube with all the fan-vids, reviews and reaction-vids. I also have never ever heard about podcasts before I joined the Buffy-fandome. But there seem to be dozens of Buffy podcasts out there and there are getting more and more by the minute. Which is wonderful on the one hand.

On the other hand i do believe, that the golden days of internet forums are over. Because of all those new social media platforms, I do believe, that the fandom will live on, but not in forums. And that has nothing to do with Buffy, it is a problem for most internet forums. I have been on a Forum for years, that had nothing to do with the Buffyverse, but had to be closed, due to too little activity.

Therefore, I want to say, how glad and grateful I am, that this site does exist and that everyone here is so friendly, enthusiastic and civil. Thank you, for having me here ! And thanks to the mods and admins on this site !

flow

flow
    [IMG][/IMG]

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

buffylover (31-01-18),Priceless (31-01-18),Stoney (31-01-18),TriBel (31-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    It's from the Spike Omnibus - when he's reunited with Dru (I know you don't like the story but the dialogue's good).
    Some of it. As I remember (it's a good while since I read it) Brian Lynch really does fail to understand the difference between Spike souled and unsouled and that's evident in the dialogue and story. I don't remember the line, but I'd probably heartily question that Spike would feel like that at any point in that story when he is still avoiding where he really wants to be. The soul storyline is just poor and isn't canon compatible (which is fine because canon overrules it), but I don't dislike everything about the story. The general idea of Spike getting a group and going solo for a while I think makes good sense for him at that point in time.

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

Does anyone play a musical instrument?

Thanks

Guitar but not to a very high standard and all classical, no rock/pop stuff.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (01-02-18)

Cup of Tea!
    Thanks

Guitar but not to a very high standard and all classical, no rock/pop stuff.
    That is so cool. I play the guitar also I try to tend and focus on the classic country stuff because I love songwriting it's one of my passions. When did you start playing?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Stoney (01-02-18)