Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: What's On Your Mind?

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    I know there are some people (on another board) for whom it's akin to the bible.
    Ha! Guilty as charged.

I do really enjoy Mark Field's take, though I often have differences of opinion with him. I read the book through on my very first watch of the series, so the episode-by-episode approach and the lack of spoilers were big positives for me. I can see how that might not be very satisfying for fans who have watched multiple times and/or pored over the series in forum discussions for months/years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    I prefer to explore the verse through two-way conversations. I can see totally why my relative bought it for me, I'm just not sure I see myself suddenly wanting to read reviews I can't voice opinion on/discuss when that's never appealed to me in the, close to, ten years of being in fandom. But it'll go on the BtVS shelf and might get pulled down once in a while.
    If you want to discuss, Mark still responds to comments on the blog versions of all his essays: http://unpaidsophistry.blogspot.com/

I've commented multiple times and we've had great exchanges. He even used some of my comments in the paperback version of his book (under a different name).

Sorry to interrupt! I'll go away now

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

flow (14-07-18),Stoney (14-07-18),TriBel (14-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,456 Times in 3,938 Posts

You're not interrupting but contributing and I appreciate the thoughts. I can see how the style would work better for reading alongside a first watch. I'll bear in mind the option of contacting him if anything especially makes me want to pipe up. The general disagreements I had on his pov of flaws/inconsistencies rather than seeing the character through line being evident I'm used to coming across and have discussed in the past, so it doesn't hit an itch I need to scratch particularly. But you never know, if I do pick it up again, there's always the chance that something might.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TriBel (14-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,895 Times in 794 Posts

I found your comments interesting TriBel as thoughts being presented as academic just because they are published often bugs me. It seems to seek some kind of validation to the subjective opinions simply through having been (perhaps that is like academic work actually, ha). I'm not sure it will add much for me although I would probably enjoy any ties that are drawn to other works (A Clockwork Orange was mentioned in a way that seemed to be referring to a previous comparison). I find things like that interesting and rarely know of them or would have seen them myself.
    By "non-academic" I really meant "jargon-free" and accessible while still having an original argument (and not simply reiterating plot or giving me gossip about the actors). Most academics tend to write for other academics and sometimes the language can be difficult (in the sense of specialized). I quite like the book - although, if I'm honest, I don't read that much on BtVS (academic or otherwise)*. I think it developed out of Mark's blog. The blog's here http://unpaidsophistry.blogspot.com/ As a useful point of comparison, this http://www.aesthethika.org/IMG/pdf/Coverv2n1.pdf is an essay by Rob Cover - (Re)Cognising the Body: Performativity, Embodiment and Abject Selves in Buffy The Vampire Slayer. I also like this (because I like the theorists he uses)- but it's not an easy read.

*I just buy them. I work on the principle that if they're on a nearby shelf I'll absorb them by osmosis. Oh...and writing my name in them. Writing your name in a book is NEARLY as good as reading it.

Grace! Hi Grace! LOL! Yes - you were one of the people I was thinking of! You don't have to go.
    Last edited by TriBel; 14-07-18 at 01:52 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Stoney (14-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,456 Times in 3,938 Posts

Well I didn't read anything I would have said was at all original (maybe the Clockwork Orange stuff is if I ever saw where that was first raised). There was an awful lot of quoting as I mentioned which gave the impression of drawing ideas together really, but then I did read very little and it probably does also have a lot to do with having discussed many aspect of the show over the years. I still think things that are published try to present as authoritative simply because of that rather than from worth, probably in a very separate way to what you're talking about as what I'm thinking about has nothing to do with the use of jargon or not. Obviously from reading so very little I'm not saying I disagree with it all or that they are/aren't attempting to present as definitive/authoritative, but I did think there was a really obvious blinkered perspective, although not uncommon, in what I read. Subjectivity/mileage and all that. I'm generally not one for theories, although I do find them interesting like other cultural references, I've noted your link for if I'm feeling hardy at any point!
    Last edited by Stoney; 14-07-18 at 01:58 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 518 Posts

Hi Grace. Remember me? Welcome to BF. Come on in, the water's fine!

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 650 Posts

Grace
    Ha! Guilty as charged.
    The jury came back with a life-sentence of having to post here

Nice to see ya !

Stoney: reading the book you have to keep in mind that Mark Field did not write it to be published as a book. He started writing on a forum (I think the site was called All Things Philosophical About Buffy? It doesn`t exist anymore as far as I know.) and only later started the blog and then the blog was published as a paperback book.

A lot of his thoughts come from former discussions with other fans and he does mention different opinions on certain events or story-lines. Being a lawyer he also has a very matter-of-fact and analytical approach to things, which is fine with me but might not be everyones cup of tea.

During the reviews for the first seasons he talks a lot about parallels between Cordelia and Buffy. That was a new and interesting point for me.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Stoney (14-07-18),TriBel (14-07-18)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    Hi Grace. Remember me? Welcome to BF. Come on in, the water's fine!
    Of course I do! Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    Grace
    The jury came back with a life-sentence of having to post here
    LOL. Well, here I am, carrying out my sentence...

Stoney, I think A Clockwork Orange is addressed in MF's essay on The Initiative (the episode). I also particularly liked his take on Prophecy Girl and Storyteller (though I like even more the beer-good-foamy meta it's based on, which you can find here). I think MF's book was most helpful in pointing out things about Seasons 4 and 7 that I might otherwise have missed (though, again, as a fandom veteran, it may be old hat to you). I think when it comes to Season 6, and Seeing Red in particular, it might be a little difficult for MF to separate the show from the fandom meltdown that accompanied it.
    Last edited by grace; 14-07-18 at 12:48 PM. Reason: typo

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (14-07-18),Priceless (14-07-18),SpuffyGlitz (14-07-18),Stoney (14-07-18),TriBel (14-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,793 Times in 1,901 Posts

Hi Grace, great to see you here. You should pop over more often
    Never much cared for picket fences, anyway. Bloody dangerous.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

grace (14-07-18),TriBel (14-07-18)

Thanks

Oh lord I've got myself embroiled in a twitter battle over how feminist Charmed was . . . I'm just going to sneak away and pretend it never happened like the yellow belly I am

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (Today),Stoney (Today),TriBel (Today)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 650 Posts

I really had to plough through tons and tons of work for the last couple of weeks but now I am on vacation for the next three weeks! Yay me!

Pricey, to discuss how feminist Charmed was would suggest it was feminist at all. What nasty stuff did your opponents say, that you had to walk away from them ?

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Priceless (Today)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I really had to plough through tons and tons of work for the last couple of weeks but now I am on vacation for the next three weeks! Yay me!

Pricey, to discuss how feminist Charmed was would suggest it was feminist at all. What nasty stuff did your opponents say, that you had to walk away from them ?

flow
    Yay, have a great 3 weeks flow, hope you'll be hanging around the forum a bit more

My opponents were defending what they loved, so I had some sympathy with them, but Charmed was NOT a seminal feminist work by any stretch. They had 3 female leads, which is fantastic, but from what I remember all they were mostly concerned about was finding a man, settling down and having babies. Which is how the show ended, all 3 had successful careers, but were also married with kids. I thought it would have been more diverse to have at least one of the sisters perhaps not want to be married, or not married to a man, or maybe not want kids . . . anything to distinguish her from her sisters

I feel the same about Buffy and I'd fight anyone on twitter who said something too bad about the show, so I wish I hadn't said anything. Hey, it had 3 female leads who had some power, so it wasn't all bad.