Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: What's On Your Mind?

Thanks

All these discussions have got me thinking about beginnings and ends & what each character represents and their individual wishes (which is pretty clearly outlined in what Tribel posted on the Repeats thread from the end of S10, and her reference to End of Days and No Place Like Home on the S12 thread).
    I don't think Spike's quote from No Place Like Home is insignificant (I think Tribel posted the dialogue there too.)

Anyway, I'm also wondering where the Seed from S8 fits in all this (Buffy smashed it, thus "ending" magic.)
    Here's a poem by Kathleen Rainer (which has nothing really to do with any of this, but felt appropriate)

Spoiler:
    A Spell For Creation

Within the flower there lies a seed,
    Within the seed there springs a tree,
    Within the tree there spreads a wood.

In the wood there burns a fire,
    And in the fire there melts a stone,
    Within the stone a ring of iron.

Within the ring there lies an O,
    Within the O there looks an eye,
    In the eye there swims a sea,

And in the sea reflected sky,
    And in the sky there shines the sun,
    Within the sun a bird of gold.

Within the bird there beats a heart,
    And from the heart there flows a song,
    And in the song there sings a word.

In the word there speaks a world,
    A world of joy, a world of grief,
    From joy and grief there springs my love.

Oh love, my love, there springs a world,
    And on the world there shines a sun,
    And in the sun there burns a fire,

Within the fire consumes my heart,
    And in my heart there beats a bird,
    And in the bird there wakes an eye,

Within the eye, earth, sea and sky,
    Earth, sky and sea within an O
    Lie like the seed within the flower.
    I want the fire back. - Buffy Summers

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-06-18),Stoney (26-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,762 Times in 1,148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SpuffyGlitz View Post
    All these discussions have got me thinking about beginnings and ends & what each character represents and their individual wishes (which is pretty clearly outlined in what Tribel posted on the Repeats thread from the end of S10, and her reference to End of Days and No Place Like Home on the S12 thread).
    I don't think Spike's quote from No Place Like Home is insignificant (I think Tribel posted the dialogue there too.)

Anyway, I'm also wondering where the Seed from S8 fits in all this (Buffy smashed it, thus "ending" magic.)
    Here's a poem by Kathleen Rainer (which has nothing really to do with any of this, but felt appropriate)

Spoiler:
    A Spell For Creation

Within the flower there lies a seed,
    Within the seed there springs a tree,
    Within the tree there spreads a wood.

In the wood there burns a fire,
    And in the fire there melts a stone,
    Within the stone a ring of iron.

Within the ring there lies an O,
    Within the O there looks an eye,
    In the eye there swims a sea,

And in the sea reflected sky,
    And in the sky there shines the sun,
    Within the sun a bird of gold.

Within the bird there beats a heart,
    And from the heart there flows a song,
    And in the song there sings a word.

In the word there speaks a world,
    A world of joy, a world of grief,
    From joy and grief there springs my love.

Oh love, my love, there springs a world,
    And on the world there shines a sun,
    And in the sun there burns a fire,

Within the fire consumes my heart,
    And in my heart there beats a bird,
    And in the bird there wakes an eye,

Within the eye, earth, sea and sky,
    Earth, sky and sea within an O
    Lie like the seed within the flower.
    I love it - you're good at this poetry lark aren't you? The difficulty is - which comes first - the flower or the seed?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Spike's connection to his demon changed when he became souled and he does often want to turn from sides of himself that he revelled in unsouled, or control them. It's different for him when souled and whilst he found he needed to be able to use that connection and reach to it he also isn't and doesn't want to be what he was. As always, it's complicated. Harmony comes at things from her own perspective and with her own agenda so I don't think in any way should she ever be considered a reliable narrator overall. She may be a truth teller at points, as characters who are comfortable with criticising others often are, but the times when she hits on truths can be coincidental to why she says/does what she chooses to. Interesting idea that it's natural progression to cool.
    LOL! The internet went down before I could check the physics so I don't know!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (26-06-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,470 Posts

I now know my fire alarm works. I put my breakfast under the grill about an hour ago and totally forgot about it

Thanks
    Thanked 10,301 Times in 4,236 Posts

No serious injuries or losses I hope (just damaged hearing).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (27-06-18)

Thanks

No serious injuries or losses I hope (just damaged hearing).
    Yes all fine. The kitchen is still there. Can't believe I did it

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

HowiMetdaSlayer (27-06-18),Stoney (27-06-18),TriBel (27-06-18)

Bronze Party-Goer HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

My dad just replaced our stoves drip pans & one burner. Smelled kinda funny the 1st time mom used it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (27-06-18),TriBel (27-06-18)

Thanks

It's almost impossible to find a thread on this forum! Someone posted something about Article 13 of the copyright directive being voted on my MEP's, and a link (I think) to email your MEP to ask them not to vote for this change in the law. Well I've just got an email from my MEP saying she agrees and will not be supporting it -

Thank you for your email.
    Article 13 of the Copyright Directive is a major concern as it will impose privatised censorship of all types of content and it is incompatible with fundamental rights and the E-commerce Directive.
    Additionally it will prevent the availability of content before it is uploaded; it could cost you money in a stealth tax and if this tax is not paid then your content probably will not be uploaded. There are further concerns in that it is technically infeasible as it covers all sorts of creations ranging from literary works, music, software, pictures and graphics just to name a few.
    In light of the consequences that this Article will cause to freedom of expression, independent creators and discouraging investment in user-generated content start up, I will not be supporting this.
    Yours faithfully
    Louise Davies
    EA to Margot Parker MEP,
    UKIP Deputy Chairperson

Don't hate me that we voted in the UKIP candidate

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (05-07-18)

Thanks

I think this is the thread you are talking about - http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...=copyright+MEP.

I went into Advanced Search (which is just under the banner on the right of the title bar) and put in copyright and MEP as keywords.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-07-18)

Thanks

I think this is the thread you are talking about - http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/sh...=copyright+MEP.

I went into Advanced Search (which is just under the banner on the right of the title bar) and put in copyright and MEP as keywords.
    Thanks Stoney, but I intend to cling to my dislike of this forum for making things disappear - it would be so much simpler if we just had a running list of threads and posts

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (06-07-18)

Thanks

I just subscribe to everything I'm interested in and look through my subscription list when I want to refind things. If using the search doesn't work you can always browse the forums themselves too of course and see the list of active/recent threads. I have nothing else to suggest to help I'm afraid, it's never bothered me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (06-07-18)

Thanks

Anyone any idea on why publication of S10 Library Edition Vol 1 has been pushed back yet again? I can't remember the original date but it was changed to 19/7 and that's just been revised to 31/7.

Thanks

Joss tweeted a picture of himself having coffee with Neil Gaiman . . . does anyone wonder if they are working together on something current?

Coffee with @neilhimself is a delight and a balm. Getting to see 7 minutes of GOOD OMENS on his laptop, that’s like... well I’ve never tried crack but I’m gonna say crack. JUST WAIT till you see it... #GoodOmens #GreatArt #crack

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (10-07-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Joss tweeted a picture of himself having coffee with Neil Gaiman . . . does anyone wonder if they are working together on something current?

Coffee with @neilhimself is a delight and a balm. Getting to see 7 minutes of GOOD OMENS on his laptop, that’s like... well I’ve never tried crack but I’m gonna say crack. JUST WAIT till you see it... #GoodOmens #GreatArt #crack
    It would be good if they were. And while we're talking about good omens and incompetent evil beings in an hilarious situation that could bring about the end of the world, I'll just mention the British Government. Armando Iannucci couldn't have written yesterday's omnishamble. Can we bring football home in exchange for the Tories please? GS for PM?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (10-07-18)

Thanks

I love my new banner.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Priceless (12-07-18),TriBel (12-07-18)

Thanks

Ha, I just said that about it in another thread. Crash rules.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

buffylover (12-07-18)

Thanks

Definitely, Crash rules. I am having a super blast with the remaster game bringing back so many amazing nostalgia memories for me.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Stoney (12-07-18)

Thanks

I've been bought the Mark Field Myth, Metaphor & Morality book. Is it interesting or likely to drive me barmy?!

Thanks

I've been bought the Mark Field Myth, Metaphor & Morality book. Is it interesting or likely to drive me barmy?!
    I've read it* - in fact I bought a copy when it was cheap for the Kindle. It's okay as far as non-academic books go** - quite insightful (and definitely better than the BFI one). I know there are some people (on another board) for whom it's akin to the bible. I don't think it'll wind you up - it's relatively harmless. I don't use it much because my idea of metaphor and myth is more specialized than his.

*which isn't the same as being able to recall it.
    **which came over as much more elitist than I intended.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Stoney (13-07-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,020 Times in 829 Posts

I have bought it last year and read about half of. It didn`t drive me barmy but I lost interest.

It is basically a short review for every single episode. That makes 122 reviews. Each single review (or chapter) is rather short. You will probably already know most of what Mark Field has to say for each episode.

It`s okay, but not mindblowing. What did drive me barmy from time to time was his "There is something really important happening in this episode but I will not talk about it now. Instead I will come back to it later".

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Stoney (13-07-18),TriBel (13-07-18)

Thanks

I had noticed that flow and I only skimmed a couple of eps, ha. I had a quick look at Seeing Red and Grave because if I hugely disagree with someone's take on Spike then not being able to respond/discuss will often frustrate me. It seemed pretty general observations but it appeared there may be some noticeable gaps in how I see the developments of S6 as coherent character direction and strengthening it with verse mythology where he seemed more inclined to interpret flaws and not see the through line as clearly (obviously this is an at a glance impression). But nothing I'd expect to find problematic hurdles to casual reading though.

I found your comments interesting TriBel as thoughts being presented as academic just because they are published often bugs me. It seems to seek some kind of validation to the subjective opinions simply through having been (perhaps that is like academic work actually, ha). I'm not sure it will add much for me although I would probably enjoy any ties that are drawn to other works (A Clockwork Orange was mentioned in a way that seemed to be referring to a previous comparison). I find things like that interesting and rarely know of them or would have seen them myself.

It seemed to be written with an expectation that you'd read it all chronologically too, rather than drop into eps as previous references were raised again in passing. I also found the tendency to quote others a lot rather than just pulling together his own way of presenting opinion a style that I might not take to as well. But I don't think I'd hate it, I'm just not sure I'll really use it, I just don't tend to read reviews. I prefer to explore the verse through two-way conversations. I can see totally why my relative bought it for me, I'm just not sure I see myself suddenly wanting to read reviews I can't voice opinion on/discuss when that's never appealed to me in the, close to, ten years of being in fandom. But it'll go on the BtVS shelf and might get pulled down once in a while.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.
    Last edited by Stoney; 14-07-18 at 12:47 AM.