Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Thread: What's On Your Mind?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,528 Times in 1,449 Posts

Two things on my mind. First @flow - did you put your compatriots up to this?

Sir, Without your great nation, this continent would not be what it is today: a community defined by freedom and prosperity. After the horrors of the second world war, Britain did not give up on us. It has welcomed Germany back as a sovereign nation and a European power. This we, as Germans, have not forgotten and we are grateful.

Because we realise that the freedom we enjoy as Europeans today has in many ways been built and defended by the British people, we want Britons to know that we respect their choice. And should Britain wish to leave the European Union for good, it will always have friends in Germany and Europe. But Britons should equally know that we believe that no choice is irreversible. Our door will always remain open: Europe is home.

Britain has become part of who we are as Europeans. And therefore we would miss Britain. We would miss the legendary British black humour and going to the pub after work hours to drink an ale. We would miss tea with milk and driving on the left-hand side of the road. And we would miss seeing the panto at Christmas. But more than anything else, we would miss the British people — our friends across the Channel. We would miss Britain as part of the European Union, especially in these troubled times. Therefore Britons should know: from the bottom of our hearts, we want them to stay.

And secondly, this:

https://www.indy100.com/article/mich...box=1547744682

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (18-01-19),HowiMetdaSlayer (18-01-19),Klaus Kartoffel (18-01-19),Priceless (18-01-19),Stoney (18-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,647 Times in 4,747 Posts

What a ridiculous subtitle error, and it didn't even sound vaguely like Batman.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TriBel (18-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,839 Times in 1,159 Posts

TriBel:
    First @flow - did you put your compatriots up to this?
    I swear, I have nothing to do with this! I actually think, the mood in this country is more or less "If they wanna get out, what the heck are they waiting for?." It sounds rather pathetic, to be honest. And why would anybody miss driving on the wrong side of the road?

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Klaus Kartoffel (18-01-19),Priceless (18-01-19),Stoney (18-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I actually think, the mood in this country is more or less "If they wanna get out, what the heck are they waiting for?."
    Which surely just illustrates why those that govern should govern and not ask such important things of the masses. Extricating ourselves is an unbelievably complicated process that involves trying to assess an incredible mass of policies/processes, establish/negotiate new ones and try to start to unpick/consider (let alone manage!) the huge ramifications not just for trade, medication, travel etc but for people that live in this country from others and brits that live outside of it. It's an absolute red hot mess.

And why would anybody miss driving on the wrong side of the road?
    Last edited by Stoney; 18-01-19 at 03:59 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (18-01-19),flow (18-01-19),TriBel (18-01-19)

Thanks

flow:

If they wanna get out, what the heck are they waiting for?
    If the BBC subtitlers are to be believed, we're holding out for a hero (and not some a-hole with floppy blond hair):

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (18-01-19)

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Two things on my mind. First @flow - did you put your compatriots up to this?

Sir, Without your great nation, this continent would not be what it is today: a community defined by freedom and prosperity. After the horrors of the second world war, Britain did not give up on us. It has welcomed Germany back as a sovereign nation and a European power. This we, as Germans, have not forgotten and we are grateful.

Because we realise that the freedom we enjoy as Europeans today has in many ways been built and defended by the British people, we want Britons to know that we respect their choice. And should Britain wish to leave the European Union for good, it will always have friends in Germany and Europe. But Britons should equally know that we believe that no choice is irreversible. Our door will always remain open: Europe is home.

Britain has become part of who we are as Europeans. And therefore we would miss Britain. We would miss the legendary British black humour and going to the pub after work hours to drink an ale. We would miss tea with milk and driving on the left-hand side of the road. And we would miss seeing the panto at Christmas. But more than anything else, we would miss the British people our friends across the Channel. We would miss Britain as part of the European Union, especially in these troubled times. Therefore Britons should know: from the bottom of our hearts, we want them to stay.
    Lol, that reads like a desperate attempt to get laid.

Does it work?

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Klaus Kartoffel For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (18-01-19),flow (18-01-19),GoSpuffy (18-01-19),TriBel (18-01-19)

Thanks

Klaus Kartoffel:

Lol, that reads like a desperate attempt to get laid.
    Does it work?

To be honest, I didn't need persuading, I voted to get laid stay but I can't see the following signatures cutting it with Leavers: "Kramp-Karrenbauer... politicians including Andrea Nahles, the leader of the Social Democratic party, the Greens co-leaders and the head of the German parliament’s foreign affairs committee...the president of the Federation of German Industries and senior executives at Daimler and Airbus, as well as sporting and cultural figures such as the former German footballer Jens Lehmann and the singer Campino".

Now if Iron Man or Agent Coulson had signed it......

It's a weird letter...I wonder if it's a double bluff? Ask them to stay in a letter guaranteed to drive them away?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Klaus Kartoffel (18-01-19),Priceless (18-01-19),Stoney (18-01-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,839 Times in 1,159 Posts

TriBel:
    It's a weird letter...I wonder if it's a double bluff? Ask them to stay in a letter guaranteed to drive them away?
    Aww, you give us too much credit. We`re not that smart.

Now if Iron Man or Agent Coulson had signed it......
    Unfortunately they`re not German. Are there any German Superheroes at all? I can`t think of any.

If the BBC subtitlers are to be believed, we're holding out for a hero (and not some a-hole with floppy blond hair):
    Maybe you could borrow Nany Pelosi? If Donald Trump allows her to leave the country ...

but I can't see the following signatures cutting it with Leavers: "Kramp-Karrenbauer... politicians including Andrea Nahles, the leader of the Social Democratic party, the Greens co-leaders and the head of the German parliament’s foreign affairs committee...the president of the Federation of German Industries and senior executives at Daimler and Airbus, as well as sporting and cultural figures such as the former German footballer Jens Lehmann and the singer Campino".
    There`s nothing wrong with Campino ....

Stoney:
    Extricating ourselves is an unbelievably complicated process that involves trying to assess an incredible mass of policies/processes, establish/negotiate new ones and try to start to unpick/consider (let alone manage!) the huge ramifications not just for trade, medication, travel etc but for people that live in this country from others and brits that live outside of it. It's an absolute red hot mess.
    I am sure, it could easily be done with a clean cut. The negotiations regarding the German reunification lasted less than a year. Of course there would be consequences and the blow wouldn`t be softened by carefully negotiated treaties. Issues have been mentioned here on this very board, like the problem of how to recieve a much needed medication in future. But if there would be a consensus, that those hardnesses have to be endured to reach the desired goal, you folks could go through with it and maybe it would even bring you closer together. Or they`d make you see the wrongness of your decision :-). The real tragedy is, that the vote was so very close and actually half of the British people never wanted the Brexit, but still have to bear the consequences now. There is a rift you will have to overcome in the years to come and it won`t be easy.

flow
    Last edited by flow; 18-01-19 at 06:57 PM.
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

TriBel (18-01-19)

Thanks

flow:

There`s nothing wrong with Campino ....
    I googled and - as expected - I got strawberry and cream sweets before I got a shirtless man with red hair. Is that him?

Are there any German Superheroes at all? I can`t think of any.
    Hmm...depends on your political inclinations ...there's HYDRA but personally I prefer Coulson and Ironman.

Serious point: I think there should be one. Get a petition up.
    Last edited by TriBel; 18-01-19 at 06:55 PM.

Sunnydale High Student
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    I googled and - as expected - I got strawberry and cream sweets before I got a shirtless man with red hair. Is that him?
    That's him. You don't understand the lyrics (unless you speak German?) but they kind of remind me of the letter, figuratively speaking. The imagery should suffice, though (hint: the sexy woman is Britain. Campino is Germany). The song is from the 90s. Was a mega hit back then.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Klaus Kartoffel For This Useful Post:

flow (18-01-19),TriBel (18-01-19)

Library Researcher HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

To be fair, Britain could do a whole lot worse than Batman.
    America's been stuck with this Joker for last few years.

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (18-01-19),flow (18-01-19),GoSpuffy (18-01-19),Priceless (18-01-19),TriBel (18-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    To be fair, Britain could do a whole lot worse than Batman.
    America's been stuck with this Joker for last few years.
    I've found a Superhero for the UK!

Hindsight!

"Carlton LaFroyge was a guy who discovered Speedball’s secret identity. Using this info, he blackmailed the hero into letting him join the New Warriors under the name “Hindsight.” Other than being an annoying little jerk, Hindsight acted as the team’s strategist, much like Cypher. Unlike Cypher, Hindsight was only good at pointing out things that went wrong (hence his name)... He was supposedly very smart, but instead of helping the New Warriors make a plan, he’d tell them how they screwed up! Outside of that, he was a pretty useless teammate with an obnoxious personality.

Eventually, Hindsight went nuts and turned on his old team, revealing their identities and threatening its members online. Now, the poor crazy-pants just sits at home and writes weird conspiracy theories about the Marvel heroes. A worthless hero nobody wanted around who wound up becoming an internet troll — a truly tragic end!" https://source.superherostuff.com/co...erheroes-ever/

He'd feel right at home in Westminster.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (18-01-19),HowiMetdaSlayer (18-01-19)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I am sure, it could easily be done with a clean cut. The negotiations regarding the German reunification lasted less than a year. Of course there would be consequences and the blow wouldn`t be softened by carefully negotiated treaties. Issues have been mentioned here on this very board, like the problem of how to recieve a much needed medication in future. But if there would be a consensus, that those hardnesses have to be endured to reach the desired goal, you folks could go through with it and maybe it would even bring you closer together. Or they`d make you see the wrongness of your decision :-). The real tragedy is, that the vote was so very close and actually half of the British people never wanted the Brexit, but still have to bear the consequences now. There is a rift you will have to overcome in the years to come and it won`t be easy.
    Whilst again acknowledging that my political/economic knowledge is ropey at best, I don't agree. A good deal of why people who wanted this voted for it was to not be affected by different laws and restrictions, but that doesn't mean that we want to entirely lose trade agreements and can or should just cut free of everything regardless of the negative impact of taking that approach. The consequences of doing that could be crippling and as it isn't something we have to do it would just be irresponsible to go about it like that I think and just plunge the country into fire fighting the repercussions when some aspects might have been avoidable. I don't see any true benefit to doing that. Negotiations are difficult and are dragging for sure, but I think we have to try and figure out the least damaging way of achieving the desired outcome. There just aren't easy ways to do that for a damn good reason though, it's inherently a damaging decision. They clearly can't make it work because there isn't a way to angle it and make it look like a good thing and I desperately want them to stop the whole thing. I don't believe in any way that it will bring the country closer together as either way there is resentment splitting us and goodness knows how that will pan out over the years to come. Ugh, this is why I prefer like William "not to think of such dark, ugly business at all."
    Last edited by Stoney; 18-01-19 at 10:34 PM.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (18-01-19),flow (18-01-19),TriBel (18-01-19)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,540 Times in 1,525 Posts

My two cents as an American. I think the only honest way for Britain's political leaders to handle Brexit was to FIRST negotiate an exit with the EU and then SECOND, present Britain's citizens with the plan and have them vote on it. I see the appeal of a referendum- citizens should be able to decide their citizenship status. However, it's disgraceful that Britain's citizens weren't presented with an actual blue-print of what Brexit would look like so they could stand a chance at making an informed decision.

I really feel bad for Britain and the situation seems unfair. In their ways, Italy, Hungary, Poland, Greece, etc. all have failed to comply with EU regulations that they don't like but they get to stay in the Eurozone because they didn't vote to exit. Hungary and Poland should be censured by the EU for not complying with the immigration laws- but they bail each other out of the unanimous votes required for censure. However, Britain stands alone as the nation likely to be severely economically punished for actually exiting instead of staying and flouting the rules.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dipstick For This Useful Post:

Klaus Kartoffel (18-01-19),Stoney (18-01-19),TriBel (18-01-19)

Thanks

There was an attempt to negotiate first that didn't get them anywhere I think (although at that point they didn't realise this was the next alternative to what was offered then). Sadly, it was presented to the citizens with the hope of unifying a political party, they didn't think a majority would vote us out. Even more sadly, if more people had believed that was truly a possible outcome they might have got themselves to the polling station to vote for staying in. That's before you even get into all the false information that was presented to people and outright lies about what leaving would mean. It's all just too tragic.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Dipstick (18-01-19),Klaus Kartoffel (Yesterday),TriBel (18-01-19)