Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: What's On Your Mind?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,972 Times in 1,667 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    Things I didn't know.......fickle auto corrects to fiscal.
    Unlike Stoney - I didn't presume that. I thought you meant climate change was the cause of tax rises!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (26-01-19),Stoney (26-01-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,529 Times in 617 Posts

I'm not really a film person but once or twice a year (literally, I'm not kidding you) when I have nothing better to do I decide to watch a movie. So I watched The Breakfast Club. I think I had seen it when I was a kid, I didn't remember anything but it felt familiar - who knows? It's a great movie, completely dated and simultaneously timeless, the script's excellent, could be a play even - has anybody done this in theater? Anyway, Molly Ringwald's awesome in it so I was like, OwO what else is she in? So I checked out Pretty in Pink and it's this 80s AF Turbo-American teen movie garbage, 10 minutes in I was done. I checked out Sixteen Candles and it's, like, more of the same, I couldn't tell one from the other. So I went to IMDB - has this chick done any movies that are not shit? And it's just a string of 5 out of 10s and the like, I click a random review and it's basically Yeah, the movie is garbage but Molly looks great he he :] OK, I'll just go look at some gifs then.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

flow (03-02-19),SpuffyGlitz (03-02-19),TriBel (03-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,530 Times in 570 Posts

The Breakfast Club is a classic, Molly Ringwald is one of the best things about it but also love Judd Nelson's performance, and the look on everyone's face when Ally Sheedy transforms in the end, and the humour, and the script. I also love The Squid and the Whale.
    I want the fire back. - Buffy Summers

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SpuffyGlitz For This Useful Post:

a thing of evil (03-02-19),flow (03-02-19),TriBel (03-02-19)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* "THE BIG GAME" time! The LA Rams are back in the Super Bowl. But Tom Brady is probably the best quarterback ever all with all this CTE stuff and parents not wanting kids playing football, I'm not sure for whom to root.

Anyway, I still have a TON of catch-up on this Board; so, I have plenty of reading and writing even though posting activity on the Board has kinda slowed outside of the comics section.

Library Researcher HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

I haste the pats with the heat of a nova.
    So...go Rams!

Thanks

Do I need these?

https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p...t=rick%20griff

https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p...rick%20griffin

Meh...I got all excited because I thought the last ones said "Actually I'm really spiked" . On second glance, the word is "spaced". Stupid font...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (07-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 290 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Do I need these?

https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p...t=rick%20griff

https://www.drmartens.com/uk/en_gb/p...rick%20griffin

Meh...I got all excited because I thought the last ones said "Actually I'm really spiked" . On second glance, the word is "spaced". Stupid font...

If you need to ask...
    You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

"There's a lot of comedy to be gotten from the world's doom spiral right now." Tracey Ullman, June 2018

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debbicles For This Useful Post:

Priceless (07-02-19),Stoney (07-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,265 Times in 1,338 Posts

No, you don`t need them. That doesn`t mean, you shouldn`t get them...

Are you thinking about getting both pairs? Or do you wanna hear our opinion on which pair to get? I`d vote for the ones in the second link.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

debbicles:

If you need to ask...
    I didn't need to ask...I just needed someone to blame when I do buy them. It's displacement...I'm REALLY good at it!

flow

No, you don`t need them. That doesn`t mean, you shouldn`t get them...
    Want minus need equals desire. But I thought desiring DMs made me sound an even bigger loser than I am. I going to use the fact I haven't bought a pair this year as justification for the purchase.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 290 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    debbicles:

I didn't need to ask...I just needed someone to blame when I do buy them. It's displacement...I'm REALLY good at it!

flow

Want minus need equals desire. But I thought desiring DMs made me sound an even bigger loser than I am. I going to use the fact I haven't bought a pair this year as justification for the purchase.
    I wasn't being very clear, I don't think it's likely you NEED them but like flow I think you should get them if you WANT them.
    You know what I am. You've always known. You come to me all the same.

"There's a lot of comedy to be gotten from the world's doom spiral right now." Tracey Ullman, June 2018

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debbicles For This Useful Post:

flow (08-02-19),Priceless (08-02-19),TriBel (08-02-19)

Thanks

I'm watching the BAFTAs. Irrespective of how good the films are, Joanna Lumley's making me embarrassed to be British. I didn't really expect Neil Patrick Harris but couldn't we have got someone less cringe-worthy?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (10-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,318 Times in 5,050 Posts

In what way is she cringe-worthy? (currently watching recording of England/Wales rugby rather than BAFTAs)

Thanks

In what way is she cringe-worthy? (currently watching recording of England/Wales rugby rather than BAFTAs)
    She's got the worst auto-cue jokes in the world. She thanked Steve Coogan for helping her into her gown - "That's another fine dress you've got me into". Coogan visibly flinched - she "out Alan Partridged" him. I think he's hiding under his seat. This is what Stuart Heritage says in The Guardian:
    BURN! Literally everything Lumley says is met with total deafening, all-encompassing silence. The fact that she hasn’t physically withered up into a pile of sand in the face of such genuinely terrible material makes her 20 times better than any of us. Long may she continue. In life, that is. Not in this monologue – this monologue is causing me pain.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (11-02-19),Stoney (10-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,052 Times in 3,346 Posts

Poor Joanna, I didn't watch it but I'm cringing from reading that review

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (11-02-19)

Thanks

The 'birthdays' list says that it's BF's birthday today. That's kinda cool and I just wanted to say I for one am very grateful it's still up and running. I've spent a lovely morning reading Aurora's latest posts on Seeing Red and I've spent some time dwelling on my plans for a response to Nina's latest fanart challenge. These are some of the reasons why I love spending my spare time on here and have done since I registered way back in Aug 2011.

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (12-02-19),GoSpuffy (13-02-19),Priceless (12-02-19),SpuffyGlitz (12-02-19),StateOfSiege97 (12-02-19),TriBel (12-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,265 Times in 1,338 Posts

Well, then:

Happy Birthday Buffyforums!

I too am grateful you are alive and kicking and I love to spend so much of my time here (although my husband is not of the same opinion with me on that :-))

flow
    Last edited by flow; 12-02-19 at 08:34 PM.
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054
    Banner by Zenseem

Will you just hold me ?

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

bespangled (12-02-19),Priceless (12-02-19),SpuffyGlitz (12-02-19),StateOfSiege97 (12-02-19),Stoney (12-02-19)

Sunnydale High Student StateOfSiege97's Avatar
    Thanks

oh—!

i am so glad it—

which means all of you—

is here, gives so much....

the most happy of birthdays to you all—

(without, of course, any of the disasters
    that tend to befall Buffy upon hers... )

all love and all—

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StateOfSiege97 For This Useful Post:

bespangled (12-02-19),flow (12-02-19),SpuffyGlitz (12-02-19),Stoney (13-02-19)

Thanks

Just seen this tweet from AA responding to Charisma's question of where the AtS 20th reunion is.

https://twitter.com/AmyAcker/status/1095815048293801984

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-02-19)

Thanks

Looking forward to this: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...ame-kwei-armah

Jumping through the decades, each episode is set against the backdrop of key moments in the history of British race relations – the 1981 New Cross fire, where 13 black teenagers were killed in an apparent arson attack and no one was ever prosecuted, Stephen Lawrence’s murder in 1993, the 2011 riots, and last year’s Home Office scandal. But Kwame Kwei-Armah’s series addresses bigger issues of love and family, belonging and home, what it means to be an immigrant or the grandchild of an immigrant, what it costs to become British, the struggle for acceptance and the parallel struggle to hold on to your past.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-02-19)

Scooby Gang
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,529 Times in 617 Posts

https://www.laphamsquarterly.org/rou...browning-fever

Check this out, it's an article about Robert's Browning's 19th century fandom.

Papers and talks given were preserved, abstracts of meetings were drawn up, byzantine organizational charts were carefully maintained. Members created wildly complex critical bibliographies, obsessively precise records of publication, and comprehensive lists of rhyme changes between various editions of some of the longer poems, all the while squabbling over interpretive minutiae.
    The fact that so much Browning adulation was carried on without a whiff of self-consciousness or humor made the societies inevitable targets of satire. Arthur Conan Doyle’s justly forgotten 1899 novel A Duet, with an Occasional Chorus, for instance, crudely dismisses Browning societies as the domain of parochial suburban housewives. The novel describes the first meeting of one such society, consisting of just three women, whose attempts at engaging with Browning’s poetry are continually derailed by ancillary discussions of ball gowns, hairstyles, and the seasonality of oysters. By the time they get around to tackling “Caliban upon Setebos,” they are totally bewildered. “Dear me, I had no idea Browning was like this,” notes one member. “What nonsense it is.” Another remains confident that there is something in Browning, even if it escapes their analysis: “It is very easy to call everything which we do not understand ‘nonsense’…I have no doubt that Browning had a profound meaning in this.” If so, they don’t discover it. The meeting concludes after a mere hour, and the members all resolve to read Tennyson instead. In the popular press, satirical treatments of Browning’s disciples were ubiquitous in both the United States and England; most, like Doyle’s, portrayed society members as the ignorant thralls of literary modishness. A particularly well-known Max Beerbohm drawing in Punch tweaks the formula slightly, depicting Browningites as fawning, austere sycophants. Illustrated in black and white, Browning’s admirers cluster around the master—himself rendered in color—looking both unmistakably dour and wholly rapt. One elderly woman sits directly in front of the poet, looking as though she’s either about to wash his feet or administer some shoe polish. The archetypal Society member, it seems, was either an unsophisticated suburbanite or a pitiable flatterer. There is some kernel of truth to these caricatures: society members were often middle-class women who found a welcome opportunity in Browning societies for public “literary” discourse. The clubs also resonated with the religious, particularly those inclined toward evangelicalism. The inaugural meeting of the London society, as one speaker noted, included a “great proportion of clergymen and ladies.” Yet Browning societies on both continents were more diverse than the satirists would suggest, encompassing a wide range of perspective and experience—amateurs and experts, young and old, men and women. It was nevertheless difficult to shake a reputation as the realm of doting dilettantes. (George Bernard Shaw, while a card-carrying member of the London society, later claimed he joined only to make fun of the “pious ladies.”)
    Yet certain societies endured and still do, though in far more modest iterations. In his 1969 history of the London Browning Society, the scholar William S. Peterson (to whose work I’m much indebted) noted that, “Browning clubs today…carry a slightly musty odor about them, as if they do not quite belong to the twentieth century.” Needless to say, the same is true fifty years later, though clubs still soldier on. The contemporary Browning Society based in London, despite having to cease publication of the Journal of Browning Studies and awarding of its Poetry Prize, still promotes events in honor of both Robert and Elizabeth: a “flower festival” at Pembury Parish Church, where the Brownings’ son was married; a “Browning Sunday” at St. Marylebone Parish Church to commemorate the anniversary of the Brownings’ marriage; an annual wreath-laying ceremony in Poets’ Corner. Musty, yes, but undeniably charming in its commitment to honoring the legacy of not only Robert Browning but also the assortment of oddballs who conspired to enshrine his status as an actual cult favorite in the first place.
    The more things change the more they stay the same, huh?

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a thing of evil For This Useful Post:

Priceless (16-02-19),TriBel (16-02-19)