Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: What's On Your Mind?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,865 Times in 1,193 Posts

Priceless
    Do people pay to see a hologram? It seems just a money making scheme

"A hologram of Billie Holliday performs daily 40-minute shows at the Hologram USA Theater in Los Angeles. A similar tour featuring the likeness of Whitney Houston was scrapped in 2017 after her estate said the technology was not ready. Other tours are planned featuring the metal musician Ronnie James Dio and Frank Zappa.

Abba have said they will use the technology as part of a new “virtual experience” expected to debut next year. Abba’s Benny Andersson said in 2016: “We’re inspired by the limitless possibilities of what the future holds and are loving being a part of creating something new and dramatic here. A time machine that captures the essence of who we were. And are.”

Seems sad that someone's making money out of Billie when she died with 70 cents in the bank. I understand theories of representation and simulacrum but it doesn't make me feel any less uncomfortable with this. And I think Benny Andersson's remark is probably BS.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (12-10-18),Silver1 (13-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,431 Times in 2,625 Posts

I listen to a podcast called The Bechdel Cast, where two woman (and sometimes a guest) discuss a movie and see if it passes the Bechdel Test. It's meant to be a comedy, but they aren't very funny, but I let that pass because I sometimes like the discussions and I learn stuff.

Well I'm sure everyone already knew this, but it was news to me. I love Indiana Jones (mainly because I love Harrison Ford) but I learn that Indy is a paedophile. This is Spieleberg, Kasdan and Lucas discussing the character of Marian

Lawrence Kasdan: I like it if they already had a relationship at one point. Because then you don't have to build it.

George Lucas: I was thinking that this old guy could have been his mentor. He could have known this little girl when she was just a kid. Had an affair with her when she was eleven.

Kasdan: And he was forty-two.

Lucas: He hasn't seen her in twelve years. Now she's twenty-two. It's a real strange relationship.

Spielberg: She had better be older than twenty-two.

Lucas: He's thirty-five, and he knew her ten years ago when he was twenty-five and she was only twelve.

Lucas: It would be amusing to make her slightly young at the time.

Spielberg: And promiscuous. She came onto him.

Lucas: Fifteen is right on the edge. I know it's an outrageous idea, but it is interesting. Once she's sixteen or seventeen it's not interesting anymore. But if she was fifteen and he was twenty-five and they actually had an affair the last time they met. And she was madly in love with him and he...

Spielberg: She has pictures of him.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (13-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,564 Times in 4,340 Posts

Where is the discussion from? The idea that a fifteen year old can be labelled as promiscuous if an older person takes advantage of a crush is pretty gross and the earlier suggestion of her character even being prepubescent is very disturbing and grotesque.

I have to say I'd always assumed that Indy had had a relationship with her when she was young and impressionable just from what they said in the film (it's years since I watched it), but not that the 'aim' was to have her just under legal age. I guess I may have assumed the same kind of age gap, but a few years on, so 18 to 28 or some such. And the age gap between Harrison Ford and Karen Allen works for that kind of difference as there's nine years between them. I suppose because we see them meeting up again as adults it doesn't emphasise what their ages could have been before. I'd rather keep to imagining the ages being within legal parameters but I hate knowing that the discussion about the character was based on something intentionally hateful, labelling child abuse as 'amusing'.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (13-10-18),Priceless (13-10-18),TriBel (13-10-18)

Thanks

Stoney They read it out on the podcast The Bechdel Cast, which I've linked below.

https://www.bechdelcast.com/

I googled the story afterwards and found it in an article from 2015, which I've linked below. It comes from a story meeting which there is a transcript of from 1978 -

https://www.polygon.com/2015/8/3/908...-abusive-creep

This is the transcript of the scene from the film

Once you know what the writer/director/producer wanted, it puts a whole new spin on the film. Is it Kasdan that suggests she could have been 11 years old? And it's scary that it never enters their heads that this is considered rape and their hero would be a paedophile rapist. Never enters their heads!
    Last edited by Priceless; 13-10-18 at 10:07 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Stoney (13-10-18),TriBel (13-10-18)

Thanks

Once you know what the writer/director/producer wanted, it puts a whole new spin on the film. Is it Kasdan that suggests she could have been 11 years old? And it's scary that it never enters their heads that this is considered rape and their hero would be a paedophile rapist. Never enters their heads!
    Sigh...I'm saying this with no recall of the film (which I've seen). Is it that it doesn't enter their heads - or does it enter their heads and they dismiss it? For Marx ideology is a false consciousness: “they do not know it, but they are doing it.” Slavoj Žižek re-frames this (to accommodate postmodern cynicism - I think): “they know it, but they are doing it anyway”. This is what's depressing me about S12 - I can understand when characters “don't know it...but do it" - it's when the creatives know it and do it anyway without making it clear why they're doing it. I don't know which is most horrifying - not knowing; knowing and doing it because they think it's okay to do it; doing it and thinking we're too stupid to notice they're doing it; doing it to make a political point and being too subtle for it to be effective. What interests me is a) the reference to fathers (and Indy's r/s with his own father and b) the reference to Marion (related to the Virgin Mary - the mother).

Sigh...I'm too old for this shit. I want a time when I could buy a packet of spangles and there was only two flavours of crisps.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-10-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Sigh...I'm saying this with no recall of the film (which I've seen). Is it that it doesn't enter their heads - or does it enter their heads and they dismiss it? For Marx ideology is a false consciousness: “they do not know it, but they are doing it.” Slavoj Žižek re-frames this (to accommodate postmodern cynicism - I think): “they know it, but they are doing it anyway”. This is what's depressing me about S12 - I can understand when characters “don't know it...but do it" - it's when the creatives know it and do it anyway without making it clear why they're doing it. I don't know which is most horrifying - not knowing; knowing and doing it because they think it's okay to do it; doing it and thinking we're too stupid to notice they're doing it; doing it to make a political point and being too subtle for it to be effective. What interests me is a) the reference to fathers (and Indy's r/s with his own father and b) the reference to Marion (related to the Virgin Mary - the mother).

Sigh...I'm too old for this shit. I want a time when I could buy a packet of spangles and there was only two flavours of crisps.

You are probably right, they completely dismiss the ramifications of what it means to have Indy have sex with an 11 year old. Which of course just makes it even worse. Why does it not worry them that an 11 year old girl is portrayed as having sex with a 40 year old man, and 10 years later that man says 'you know what you were doing'? Did the audience at the time have any problem with it I wonder.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TimeTravellingBunny (15-10-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 759 Posts

Found out a few days ago that the heart drug I need to live and that I don't badly react to (I'm extremely sensitive to chemicals to the degree that I haven't been able to take ANY meds for over 16 years now without causing me terrible bladder pain) won't be available to me anymore after Brexit, and in fact they're already phasing It's removal in preparation. Without It I will either A) be in terrible pain 24/7 by taking the UK version (already tried the cheaper replacement with result I was on fire!), or B) Die.

Thanks Tory government. You lot have either condemned me to death or at the very least bladder removal, which has It's own dangers as I have heart failure.

I'm sure i won't be the only one to be effected by the pricing out/ removal of EU drugs.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (15-10-18),TimeTravellingBunny (15-10-18),TriBel (14-10-18)

Bronze Party-Goer HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Zoiks! Good luck Silver! Being an American, this sounds way too familiar. Stupid governments.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (14-10-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Thanks. Sadly for me luck has been very thin on the ground, what with getting cancer a coupe of years ago, heart failure and bloody interstitial cystitis, which as I said doesn't allow me to take nearly all meds. I'm now just waiting to get struck down by lightning to top it all off!

It was a miracle that we eventually found a med (even though I should be on many more) that my body can tolerate, and now even that is going to be taken from me. I'm barely surviving now, and so taking that away from me will mean the end.

Apparently I won't even be allowed to purchase this drug privately because after Bexit It will not be allowed in the country.

Governments have no bloody idea what their stupid policies do to the 'little guy' caught in the middle do they.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

buffylover (15-10-18),Double Dutchess (15-10-18),SpuffyGlitz (15-10-18),TimeTravellingBunny (15-10-18),TriBel (14-10-18)

Library Researcher Double Dutchess's Avatar
    Thanks

To say that sucks is a severe understatement

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Double Dutchess For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (16-10-18),SpuffyGlitz (15-10-18),TimeTravellingBunny (15-10-18)

Thanks

Silver if this lightning does try and strike you down dodge that lightning! because want you are going through this lightning is truly beneath you... Be strong!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to buffylover For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (16-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,296 Times in 1,103 Posts

That's a horrible situation Silver, I'm so sorry.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (16-10-18)

Thanks

Could you move to where the drug's available?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (16-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,564 Times in 4,340 Posts

They really didn't expect it to go the way it did but I don't think should have put it out to the public to vote in the first place. However, we can hope that a deal isn't made and it results in another referendum where they put the option to remain on again. I'm not sure that the vote would go the same way now, not after all the false information that was presented to leave was exposed afterwards.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (16-10-18)

Slayer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Sadly that would mean moving to Europe, and sadly thats a big no.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all your kind words guys, I appreciate the thought. I've now got to try and get my useless local MP involved, but as even the damn useless British government doesn't know how this is going to work I doubt he'll be much help.

I'm completely f*cked.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    They really didn't expect it to go the way it did but I don't think should have put it out to the public to vote in the first place. However, we can hope that a deal isn't made and it results in another referendum where they put the option to remain on again. I'm not sure that the vote would go the same way now, not after all the false information that was presented to leave was exposed afterwards.
    Yeah, sadly It was the perfect storm. Idiot electorate voting this in who were helped along by being fed false information about the effects of Brexit and a self serving Tory government trying to use this to shape the UK into the kind of Boss's paradise they've always wanted.

And not forgetting that fool Cameron who kicked the whole thing off just to placate his own back benchers. May he burn in Hell.
    Last edited by Silver1; 16-10-18 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,134 Times in 882 Posts

HowIMetDaSlayer
    The problem is, that the second Britain leaves the EU every British citizen will need resident permit if they want to live in the EU. Despite what is often been said in the media, such a resident permit is not easy to get.

And to buy it, there is probably a prescription needed, which means, even if it would be affordable, no one can just buy it without a prescription somewhere in the EU and send it to the UK.

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 615 Posts

Currently I have first past the post voting. I have to vote in a referendum to change to one of these options:
    dual member proportional, mixed member proportional, or rural urban proportional or stay with status quo. Has anyone changed to a proportional system and want to tell me if they like it or if they wish they still had first past the post?

https://elections.bc.ca/referendum/a...-we-voting-on/

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    Currently I have first past the post voting. I have to vote in a referendum to change to one of these options:
    dual member proportional, mixed member proportional, or rural urban proportional or stay with status quo. Has anyone changed to a proportional system and want to tell me if they like it or if they wish they still had first past the post?

https://elections.bc.ca/referendum/a...-we-voting-on/
    Don't ask me - I'm British. We still can't decide what this means:

Ref.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

33. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (17-10-18)

Thanks

Could you move before they leave EU then?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

flow (17-10-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,134 Times in 882 Posts

HowIMetDaSlayer:
    Could you move before they leave EU then?
    Sadly it wouldn`t help. For example, British citizens that have been living for years in Germany will need a residence permit as soon as Britain has left the EU. They are freaking out because of that. And there are restrictions for resident permits. Moving now would change nothing.

I think, they are still talking about a special status for Northern Ireland, so maybe there would be a chance to get the medication ther? But i don`t really know, what that Special Status will imply.

What are the odds, that there will be a new referendum?

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?