Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Games?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,181 Times in 5,483 Posts

Default Possible Games?

Would anyone be interested in starting up one of these again? It always seems to need a good number participating to work so I'm not sure there will be enough interest. And then the next question is what would we do. Can anyone think of anything interesting to rate?? We could do best episode opener in the season perhaps, or best written episode of the season. Any interest, any other ideas???

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

bespangled (11-02-19),Ebdim9th (27-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,010 Times in 944 Posts

I'm more action girl than idea girl, like Buffy. lol Just kidding, I'll probably play what ever you start but don't make it too complicated or hard. I don't like coming up with my fav 10 episodes for instance because I've got way more than 10 faves. I don't mind picking a fav season because then I only have to pick out of 7.
    ď

I like who I am when Iím with him. I like who we are together.Ē

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (27-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,186 Times in 3,940 Posts

I'm always up for a game! As long as I don't have to think too hard, I'm in

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (27-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,766 Times in 2,252 Posts

General games, or Buffyverse-related games?

In general games, there are classic ones like "F$%#, marry, kill" (or Kiss, marry, kill, if you want the PG version).
    There's one from another forum called "Would you rather?" where you ask the next poster to choose between two options.

Or there's a pretty fun thing that went on on Twitter a while ago, first there was "Explain a movie badly" and then "Explain a TV show badly". The idea is that you come up with a synopsis/ premise of a show or movie that's technically correct, but gives a hilariously wrong idea. For instance, one of my favorites was, in Explain a movie badly: "A teenage girl gets mixed up with violent refugees trying to impose their fanatical religion". (Pocahontas)
    We could play that for shows, movies or episodes, and then the next person has to guess what is it?

For Buffy-related game, we've already played a few: there was best episode, best character, best episode but by writer, best villain... I can't remember all of them. We could, of course, play some of them again.
    Last edited by TimeTravellingBunny; 24-01-18 at 12:44 AM.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Fool for Buffy (24-01-18),GoSpuffy (24-01-18),Priceless (24-01-18),SpuffyGlitz (03-05-18)

Thanks

I'm happy to go with any, I was thinking Buffyverse (where you give one point and take one away to whittle down a list). We could replay one of the previous ones or do a best episode opening or some such other (if that hasn't been done before). Or we could do the general games you suggest. I'm really up for anything as it only takes a moment to find time to take a turn. I'm not sure I'd be any good at the explain a movie badly one, although I really like the idea of it.

What about one of each type. We could start a Buffyverse one and also, maybe the 'would you rather' one as a rolling game? If other people think they could do the explaining badly one I'll have a go, but I think I'd be rubbish.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (27-04-18),TimeTravellingBunny (24-01-18)

Thanks

Stoney, that add a point/take a point takes forever to play, but it could be fun. I'm not sure how good I'm be at the explaining one. I like the true/false idea and the Kiss, Marry, Kill. I think you should just start a few and see what takes off

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (27-04-18),Stoney (24-01-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Stoney, that add a point/take a point takes forever to play, but it could be fun. I'm not sure how good I'm be at the explaining one. I like the true/false idea and the Kiss, Marry, Kill. I think you should just start a few and see what takes off
    I don't mind if it takes a good while personally, it's just having enough people participating for it to work. I think when we've played it in the past we've said that at least two people have to vote between your votes. I know my opinions have changed on some things since we've last played these games here, so going back over some of the old classics like best episode might be good. But it could also put people off because it's too old hat. I'll have a flick back through the ones we've done in the past and see if something grabs me and set one up probably later today.

What is the true/false game?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (27-04-18)

Thanks

What is the true/false game?
    I make a simple statement such as 'Cordelia was better on AtS than on BtVS'

The next player says either True or False, whether they agree or disagree with my statement. They can make a counter argument if they wish, but don't have to, they can just leave it at True/False. Then they make a statement which the next person says is T/F . . .

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (27-04-18),Stoney (24-01-18),TimeTravellingBunny (24-01-18)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

How about the Song Game? I love that one .... someone posts a song title and artist, ex. Somebody To Love -Queen, and then the next poster follows after them with, say, Somebody's Watching Me - Rockwell (to make the game more fun some leniency with the rules should be had) and then the next person, Watching, Waiting - Extreme and so forth ....

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ebdim9th For This Useful Post:

Priceless (28-04-18),Stoney (28-04-18),TimeTravellingBunny (06-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ebdim9th View Post
    How about the Song Game? I love that one .... someone posts a song title and artist, ex. Somebody To Love -Queen, and then the next poster follows after them with, say, Somebody's Watching Me - Rockwell (to make the game more fun some leniency with the rules should be had) and then the next person, Watching, Waiting - Extreme and so forth ....
    So you just take a word from the first song and it has to be in the next song? That sounds simple enough, so I'll play Do you want to start a thread?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (06-05-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ebdim9th View Post
    I'm really rubbish at knowing the names of songs, but I can try.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Ebdim9th (06-05-18)

Hellmouth Tourist
    Thanks

Crap, I'm late to reply ..... I shalt startest the thread forthwith...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ebdim9th For This Useful Post:

Stoney (06-05-18)

Thanks

Just wanted to see if there's any interest in starting a new elimination game? I enjoy the quick participation of these that also draws out some ad hoc discussion too. Personally I think it would be a shame if the recent poor attitudes of a few prevented us starting another. For me the best way of moving on is to do exactly that. There was never any suggestion that voting was coordinated or the game was deliberately corrupted and I honestly don't think that occurred, so I'd treat it as the blip it appears to have been. I know not everyone may feel the same, which is why I thought I'd post in the games suggestion thread to see if anyone else wants to run an elimination game again or not. There isn't much point starting up another thread if the numbers will be too low to run it.

So elimination game ideas:
    There is of course always the option of finishing the episode numbers game, or even restarting it, but I can understand if people would rather leave that and I'm pretty definite not everyone who was playing that one would want to continue it. There was an episode ending game run once I think that seemed an interesting idea. It could be just the last line of the ep, or the last scene I suppose. I also wondered about whether it could work to have the ensemble plot lines compete so that the varying stories in the eps for the different characters compete against each other across the season. We'd have to break down what we think counts for each ep first of course, but it would break the episodes themselves up into parts in a way that could be interesting maybe.

Any interest/thoughts??

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

SpuffyGlitz (11-02-19),StateOfSiege97 (11-02-19),TimeTravellingBunny (11-02-19)

Bronze Party-Goer StateOfSiege97's Avatar
    Thanks

Dear Stoney—

I would love a new elimination game:

It gives me quick relief from writing, and I enjoy the
    discussions they provoke—

I'd be happy to pick up the last where we ended, pick
    up with the hope that the abrupt cut will prevent repetition—

Or to do something else: I'm not quite sure what you mean
    by having the ensemble plot lines compete (i just woke up... ),
    but that sounds particularly intriguing, as it would engage
    the players in real thought and discussion—

(Or, perhaps, my bus trip home from my analysis session will
    inspire some other idea... but now I have to get back to work,
    so just put me down for up for anything....*)

And, as ever, countless thanks for your attention and care—

*Except for the end of that sentence... ouch... need more nicotine...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to StateOfSiege97 For This Useful Post:

Stoney (11-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,076 Times in 796 Posts

I have really been missing having an elimination game. I don't tend to play the others because I'm seriously deficient on pop culture.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 2,083 Posts

I'm just deficient - plus I don't understand any of the rules.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfSiege97 View Post
    I'm not quite sure what you mean
    by having the ensemble plot lines compete (i just woke up... ),
    but that sounds particularly intriguing, as it would engage
    the players in real thought and discussion—
    We'd have to start off by agreeing what the main plot points in the episodes were. So for Welcome to the Hellmouth we might break it up into...

WttH - Introducing the vampires - Darla/The Master/Luke
    WttH - Buffy's arrival - meeting authority figures - Joyce/Flutie/Giles
    WttH - Xander/Willow meet Buffy and learn about vampires
    WttH - Introducing Cordelia and high school politics
    WttH - Introduction of Angel as the mysterious stranger

If we agreed to the main elements of all the eps across the season, they then would all be options for voting for/against individually. The other option would be to list each main character and their episode elements, which would change the above a little, such as...

WttH - Introducing the vampires - Darla/The Master/Luke
    WttH - Buffy's arrival - meeting high school peers/authority figures - Joyce/Flutie/Giles
    WttH - Buffy - the reluctant slayer/coming to the rescue
    WttH - Xander - meeting Buffy/learning about vampires
    WttH - Willow - meeting Buffy/seizing the day
    WttH - Cordelia and high school politics
    WttH - Angel as the mysterious stranger

I'm not sure if either would work. We possibly would need to consider excluding Buffy if we did the latter and just focusing on the supporting cast as her plot points will automatically be more meaty. But if we did the former and it turned out most episodes had say 5 main elements then we could look for the top 5 of the whole season and have a mix of 'best bits' from across the season.

I'm very open for criticisms or ideas of how else it might work, I just thought it might be a bit different and draw out some elements of episodes that were gems.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,076 Times in 796 Posts

Looks very complicated.
    Can we agree that the writers made everyone do and say everything with a thought to getting good ratings and being renewed. This includes everything we love as well as everything we hate.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bespangled For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (13-02-19),TriBel (13-02-19)

Thanks

Only in the sense of deciding what to include from the eps, how to break up the content, it then just works the same as it always has.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TriBel (13-02-19)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 2,083 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    We'd have to start off by agreeing what the main plot points in the episodes were.
    You lost me about there. Is there a youtube video that explains the rules? I'm crap at games...