Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Fanfic Discussions - Spike/Buffy reading group

Thanks
    Thanked 9,371 Times in 3,914 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by flow View Post
    I have already a suggestion for June :-). Shall we split the two Journey stories in two separate discussions ?
    So are we doing Journeys in May? A Promise to A Lady and then Awakenings. I'm assuming you aren't including the third as it was only ever offered as a draft version and wasn't properly completed?

But yeah, I'm happy to go with Journeys after Adieu assuming nothing crops up. I think I'd like to split them though, give them their own read-by discussion dates, even if they stay as a series and are kept in the same thread. The first is only 50k ish, but the second is over 150k and will take so much longer it would be nice to chat over the first to break it up a bit rather than have no discussion during May at all until right to the end. If we did split them we could do the first at the start of the month and the second at the end.

I'm intrigued what your June suggestions are but fear if you say it out loud everyone will read them really quickly and when we hit the June dates to discuss them won't be able to remember them.

Has anyone heard of Spuffyfreak ?
    Their profile page says they were on yesterday evening, so they're lurking at the least.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,569 Times in 641 Posts

I have opened the new thread for Discussing fanfiction.

I hope, I got it right. Did we agree, to start reading on Fridays with everybody being free to either start reading the story then or to already have read it or to re-read it, if they like and then start the discussion the next Friday ? I wasn`t sure about the schedule and will edit the thread I have already opened, if I have misunderstood this.

The next Discussing Fanfiction thread will be Adieu, A Dew, I Do on 20th of April. I agree, that we should split of the threads for Awakenings, because the second part is rather long.

I'm assuming you aren't including the third as it was only ever offered as a draft version and wasn't properly completed?
    I couldn`t find the third part on EF. Do you have a link ? I would at least suggest it to those, who have read the first two parts, but I don`t think, I would like to read it myself, if it is a permanent WIP.

I'm intrigued what your June suggestions are but fear if you say it out loud everyone will read them really quickly and when we hit the June dates to discuss them won't be able to remember them.
    That is exactly why I am not telling

flow
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Stoney (05-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 780 Posts

Adieu, A Dew, I Do
    Can I just say, I'm re-reading this and, from my own perspective, I think it's one of the most interesting fics I've ever read. I've tried to find others by the same author but failed. @ Stoney - don't suppose you have any (LOL! There's a please in that sentence but it's well hidden )?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

flow (05-04-18),Stoney (05-04-18)

Thanks

I have opened the new thread for Discussing fanfiction.

I hope, I got it right. Did we agree, to start reading on Fridays with everybody being free to either start reading the story then or to already have read it or to re-read it, if they like and then start the discussion the next Friday ? I wasn`t sure about the schedule and will edit the thread I have already opened, if I have misunderstood this.
    I think we had said that we would try discussing only when we have all finished reading the story. So the thread would be created at an agreed date that everyone should have completed the story by, so that we were all discussing the full story. I don't think that it hurts to open the thread when the story to be read is agreed, if posting thoughts and discussing it waits until the 'read by' date. I have made notes on ABM so I'm happy to just wait until 13th to start posting/discussing.

The only other thing I would question in the description of the discussion you have put on the ABM thread is that the discussions will be fortnightly. Some stories might be long enough we want 3 weeks or short enough we only split them by 1 week. It also depends whether we would count a discussion week as also being a reading week. I'd assume a read rate of 50k per week would be a reasonable rule of thumb but then I'm the slowpoke.

The next Discussing Fanfiction thread will be Adieu, A Dew, I Do on 20th of April. I agree, that we should split of the threads for Awakenings, because the second part is rather long.
    Yes, I agree we have Adieu down to start discussing on the 20th. We/you/I can open the thread now with a note that discussion will start then or wait until closer to the time. Thinking about it, I suppose it makes sense to open the threads when the story and date is agreed on so that people can easily see which stories are coming up and decide which to join in with. Perhaps even putting the month or read-by date in the thread title too?? What do you think?

I couldn`t find the third part on EF. Do you have a link ? I would at least suggest it to those, who have read the first two parts, but I don`t think, I would like to read it myself, if it is a permanent WIP.
    It wasn't EF I originally read them on I'll just check... It was on Nocturnal Light. Oh okay, that was the site that went down recently, I think I'd posted a WayBack link for it. Wait a moment again... here is the link to Mary's fics on wayback. The links for Revelations (the 3rd story) appear to work fine and this is the entire post for it.

That is exactly why I am not telling
    Ha, good plan.

Perhaps when we are close to discussing Adieu we can choose the read-by dates for Promise and Awakenings and open those threads then??

Quote Originally Posted by TriBel View Post
    Can I just say, I'm re-reading this and, from my own perspective, I think it's one of the most interesting fics I've ever read. I've tried to find others by the same author but failed. @ Stoney - don't suppose you have any (LOL! There's a please in that sentence but it's well hidden )?
    Yes! I think her site went down but I managed to find that link to Adieu and can probably dredge up some others on that same site through Wayback. I've read a few of her fics and have always really enjoyed them. I have 2 or 3 that I've copies for that I've never read and a few others I've copied that I have. I'm not sure they will all be on that site or 'findable' online still. Lets see what else she posted there.

Here is a link to Vampire's Kiss on Wayback. If you click on 'Archive' on the left hand menu then select 'L' it'll take you to a page that has Lizerrrbeathan's stories on it. Not all the stories might have been captured by the Wayback Machine, or all the pages for each story, so its always worth checking you can get it all before you start reading. Lizerrrbeathan seems to have the following on there as well as Adieu... Summing Blue, Snow Virgins and Spike by Snowlight. All of which I've read and enjoyed. I also have copies of a few more stories. I'll see if I can find links for them online anywhere still, but it might take me a while and/or not be successful. I know her website, where I got them, isn't on Wayback.
    Last edited by Stoney; 05-04-18 at 01:05 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

TriBel (05-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 780 Posts

Yes! I think her site went down but I managed to find that link to Adieu and can probably dredge up some others on that same site through Wayback. I've read a few of her fics and have always really enjoyed them. I have 2 or 3 that I've copies for that I've never read and a few others I've copied that I have. I'm not sure they will all be on that site or 'findable' online still. Lets see what else she posted there.

Here is a link to Vampire's Kiss on Wayback. If you click on 'Archive' on the left hand menu then select 'L' it'll take you to a page that has Lizerrrbeathan's stories on it. Not all the stories might have been captured by the Wayback Machine, or all the pages for each story, so its always worth checking you can get it all before you start reading. Lizerrrbeathan seems to have the following on there as well as Adieu... Summing Blue, Snow Virgins and Spike by Snowlight. All of which I've read and enjoyed. I also have copies of a few more stories. I'll see if I can find links for them online anywhere still, but it might take me a while and/or not be successful. I know her website, where I got them, isn't on Wayback.
    Sigh...I love you - in a purely platonic sense! Thanks so much!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Stoney (05-04-18)

Thanks

Sigh...I love you - in a purely platonic sense! Thanks so much!
    I've found Life After Wartime (one I have but haven't read yet) on Slayerworld through Wayback too! I'm not faring well on the others so far though. She mentions Fanfiction.net and B.S. Diaries at the start of Wartime, so I'll see if I get anywhere on those. Not sure where else to check.

Enjoy.

--
    EDIT: I found the author link on BS Diaries but all the fics on there that I haven't already linked above lead to 'page unknown' sadly and the author link on fanfiction on Wayback doesn't work. I'm at a loss at the moment where else to find the others.
    Last edited by Stoney; 05-04-18 at 01:29 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (09-04-18)

Thanks

Dear all,
    A new sub-forum for discussing fanfic has been set up here, as requested. Please go ahead and move your discussions in there, where they should be a little easier to find and organise. Please let us know if you need any more help.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Llywela For This Useful Post:

flow (05-04-18),Stoney (05-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,700 Times in 1,860 Posts

Now you've said this TriBel I want to rush and read it. I might actually do that, I'm a bit of a rebel lol. I read A Better Man ages ago, and liked it, but I shall have to re-read to enter into any discussion
    Never much cared for picket fences, anyway. Bloody dangerous.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (09-04-18)

Thanks

Stoney:
    I think we had said that we would try discussing only when we have all finished reading the story. So the thread would be created at an agreed date that everyone should have completed the story by, so that we were all discussing the full story. I don't think that it hurts to open the thread when the story to be read is agreed, if posting thoughts and discussing it waits until the 'read by' date. I have made notes on ABM so I'm happy to just wait until 13th to start posting/discussing.
    As I have already opened the thread, shall we just start the discussion tomorrow ? Or wait til 13th ? I think, that everybody has read it anyway, except for me. If we start discussing Adieu on the 20th of April, I`d suggest, that I open a new thread on the 13th of April at the latest, maybe even earlier, to give everybody the chance to finish reading it before the 20th.

The only other thing I would question in the description of the discussion you have put on the ABM thread is that the discussions will be fortnightly.
    I will change that. If we ever read a story like West Of The Moon again, we definitely Need more than two weeks ;-)

flow
    Last edited by flow; 05-04-18 at 03:22 PM.
    http://www.buffyforums.net/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=34707&dateline=152518  8054

Will you just hold me ?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to flow For This Useful Post:

Stoney (05-04-18)

Thanks

As I have already opened the thread, shall we just start the discussion tomorrow ? I think, that everybody has read it anyway, except for me. If we start discussing Adieu on the 20th of April, I`d suggest, that I open a new thread on the 13th of April at the latest, maybe even earlier, to give everybody the chance to finish reading it before the 20th.
    I don't know. I think if the threads are opened once we have a fic and discussion date decided then anyone who browses the subsection can see what we are reading and when it has to be read by to join in the discussion. Posting wouldn't happen until that date is reached, so it just gives people plenty of time to see and to fit in reading it. In that way, the more notice the better probably. So I'd consider opening the thread for Adieu now, as the other 'April' fic, with a discussion start date of 20th April. So perhaps title it Discussion Apr 18 : Adieu, A Dew, I Do by Lizerrrbeathan. The opening post can say at the top that the Read-by date for the discussion start is : 20th April, and give any summaries/links etc. Or even give the date in the thread title : Discussion 20 Apr 18 : Adieu... etc.

What do you think?

If you haven't read ABM yet why not just stick with 13th for a discussion start? Pricey was saying she thought she'd need to reread it before discussing it as she read it a while back now. I typed up my notes about it and have the notes I made throughout to refer to if I need to remind myself what I was thinking, so I really don't mind waiting.

If we ever read a story like West Of The Moon again, we definitely Need more than two weeks ;-)
    Yes, I think I'll need more than two weeks for anything over 100k.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

cil_domney (09-04-18),Tiny Tabby (06-04-18)

Thanks

Read Adieu, A Dew, I Do and I can see why you found it interesting TriBel. I enjoyed it, but I thought this was pretty convenient

Spoiler:
    Cordy wakes up from a coma, just at the right moment. Which might have been caused by those PTB/God, who appear to really want Spike and Buffy together, which sort of undermined Spike's whole story

I'm probably missing a major plot point. But I did enjoy it, especially the Dawn stuff, and I shall read more of her stories.

Thanks

I will give ABM a couple of days of a head start, before I open the thread for Adieu, because I don`t want to confuse people with too many discussion threads at once

Do you think, it would be helpful, to have a specific thread in the subforum, where we can suggest and pick fics to be read and discussed ?

flow

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

I don't think it would be confusing personally, especially if we put the discussion start date in the thread title as I suggested. Personally I'd open the threads we've agreed on for the month at the same time, just with their dates clear, then everyone knows when to have read them by and what is coming due. It gives people the most notification and is still clear about when they are due to start. We will have discussed which stories we're planning to do anyway, so it isn't 'spoiling' what is to come. It just increases clarity on the planned fics for the month to help people plan their free-time/reading I think. But I'm happy to go with the threads opening closer to the read-by dates if that makes more sense to everyone else.

Yes, I think a thread specifically for discussing which fics to read is a good idea. This thread, I assume, is just going to become a general one where people mention fics they've read or it could be dead threaded and another established for people to comment on stories they have read outside of the group reads. I think I'd probably dead thread it personally (or just abandon it) as the group structure has moved on and new threads built for purpose would probably be better.

Thanks for getting the subsection cleared with the mods flow and Llywela for setting it up as you say.

Thanks

The opening post can say at the top that the Read-by date for the discussion start is : 20th April, and give any summaries/links etc. Or even give the date in the thread title : Discussion 20 Apr 18 : Adieu... etc.
    Yes, that is definitely better. Unfortunately I cannot edit the title of the thread

I have opened the thread for the second Story and also a thread for suggestions.

I have not read Adieu, A Dew, I Do yet, but when I checked the link, I noticed, that there are only four chapters. The second chapter is called chapter five, the third chapter doesn`t have a number and the fourth one says chapter 13. Is it possible, that the chapters are just not numbered correctly or are there chapters missing ? Does anybody have another link ? Or is the link just not working properly for me ?

flow

Will you just hold me ?

Thanks

Yes, that is definitely better. Unfortunately I cannot edit the title of the thread

I have opened the thread for the second Story and also a thread for suggestions.

I have not read Adieu, A Dew, I Do yet, but when I checked the link, I noticed, that there are only four chapters. The second chapter is called chapter five, the third chapter doesn`t have a number and the fourth one says chapter 13. Is it possible, that the chapters are just not numbered correctly or are there chapters missing ? Does anybody have another link ? Or is the link just not working properly for me ?

flow
    I've read Adieu, A Dew, I Do from that link, and that's just how i's been saved on that site. All the chapters are there. I'm guessing on it's original site it was just set out differently.

Thanks

Oh I wouldn't worry about the first one, we know when that is due so it isn't getting lost with a bank of previous stories. It'll be fine I'm sure.

Thanks flow you're keeping us structured and on the ball, it's appreciated.

I'm pretty sure it was also on the sinister attraction wayback links I found for the other Lizerrrbeathan stories for TriBel if the vampire's kiss one doesn't work for you for some reason. It sounds like it's all there though from what Pricey says. I suspect that it is just how the site split the story into four pages and the chapters are just running across the four pages. If you find you do have problems with parts being missing when you try to use the links flow let me know and I'll see if I can find an alternate link for it.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

flow (07-04-18)