Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Film Reviews

Thanks
    Thanked 8,874 Times in 4,270 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GoSpuffy View Post
    I was hoping to see Black Panther last night but it was sold out so I ended up watching death wish. Not the best movie in the world but I think I've seen every other Bruce Willis movie ever made so why not one more? Red sparrow was also sold out. Usually I prebuy tickets online but it was a first date with a new guy and I wanted to be able to leave after dinner and skip the movie if he was creepy. It was a pleasant evening so we saw the movie lol.
    GoSpuffy! Who cares about the movie, tell us about the date??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (04-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,027 Posts

Hahaha middle aged and dating. Can't believe this is my life lol! But if the alternative is giving up and getting a cat I guess online dating is a better option

I like who I am when Im with him. I like who we are together.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

TriBel (04-03-18)

Thanks

Hahaha middle aged and dating. Can't believe this is my life lol! But if the alternative is giving up and getting a cat I guess online dating is a better option
    It's the main way people meet each other nowadays. Hope you're having fun, are you seeing that guy again?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (04-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,286 Posts

What's wrong with having a cat? I have a cat and two dogs, I don't think they are going to stop me from dating, or trying to date, in any case.
    You keep waiting for the dust to settle and then you realize it; the dust is your life going on. If happy comes along - that weird unbearable delight that's actual happy - I think you have to grab it while you can. You take what you can get, 'cause it's here, and then...gone.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimeTravellingBunny For This Useful Post:

Stoney (04-03-18),TriBel (04-03-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TimeTravellingBunny View Post
    What's wrong with having a cat? I have a cat and two dogs, I don't think they are going to stop me from dating, or trying to date, in any case.
    It's just the stereo type. Old lady with lots of cats and nothing else. But who knows on the weekends she could be running kitten poker out of her parlour. It's the quiet looking ones that always get you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    It's the main way people meet each other nowadays. Hope you're having fun, are you seeing that guy again?
    I think so. We talked about getting together next weekend but haven't made firm plans yet.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (04-03-18),Stoney (04-03-18)

Thanks

I think so. We talked about getting together next weekend but haven't made firm plans yet.
    That's fantastic! Is he a Buffy fan? Keep us posted

Thanks

He's a sci fi so I that's something. We both like LOTR and he really likes Dune which I read a million years ago and don't really remember other than big worms in desert.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to GoSpuffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (04-03-18)

Thanks

Jumanji Welcome To The Jungle 2017 - I love the original, and this was not as good, but it was fun with a lot of good jokes. Thought it was very clever to change the sex of one of the characters within the game, I thought that worked really well. 7/10

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (19-03-18),Silver1 (18-03-18),Stoney (18-03-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,810 Times in 5,722 Posts

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2 last night and enjoyed it. I thought Kurt Russell was a great bit of casting for a believable match to Chris Pratt and the scripting made me laugh again at several points. But it wasn't as good as the first and I think there were pacing issues. I just really don't think it needed to be so long, it could have been a little tidier. My biggest disappointment though was, ooo, sorry, big spoilery comment to come...
    Spoiler:
    ...when Quill was betrayed by his father Ego and found out that Yondu, who had actually raised him, had indeed tried to save him from his father all those years ago and not simply saved him, as he'd believed, to use him as a thief, that they didn't just leave the contrast as successfully delivered to the viewer. It was clear that the biological father had proven to be unworthy/false and the one Quill had thought had kidnapped him for purely selfish reasons all those years ago was just trying his best (even if he didn't go about it in conventional/good ways) and was his true 'dad' and was revealed to lead him/support him and put him first. We saw all of that play out on the screen. So the subsequent dialogue which spelled it out for us both from Yondu and then from Quill when he paid his respects in front of the group before the funeral was totally unnecessary and actually took some of the impact away from the moment because it was patronising the audience and boring. They should have just shown us the different fathers contrast and then had the Ravagers coming to pay their respects imo.
    And of course there was Groot, I just love Groot. So it wasn't the best, but it was an enjoyable continuation with good/established characters and when/if they do a third I'll definitely watch that too.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

GoSpuffy (19-03-18),Priceless (18-03-18),Silver1 (04-04-18)

Thanks

Dear Zachary (2008) Very moving and emotional documentary. The subject is wonderful, but I have to admit (and please don't hate me for this) the content was a little bit cloying, though I understand it's a love letter to a family, it was a little bit too much for me 5/10

Thanks

M (1931) I can see why this is a classic. German cinema must have been considered light years ahead of anything happening in the US. Even the subject matter seems modern, and how it was dealt with asks the same questions we ask ourselves today. Of course some of the performances seem a little mannered, but Peter Lorre is great. The cinematography also seems very modern, but there is one scene where the camera is below a desk looking up through the legs of a police officer while he's on the phone. It sticks out because it's too silly. I wonder how that got through the edit, when it doesn't work and seems like 'oh lets try this and see what happens' sort of filming. Or have I missed the point? Anyway, a classic 10/10

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (23-04-18)

Thanks

X-Men Apocalypse (2016) As expected, some stunning CGI, but a lot of heart too. It felt a little like the story of Gods v's mortals, which of course is wasn't because there are no ordinary people in these movies, but Apocalypse even stands on a mountain at one point, looking down on the earth. Blockbuster fun (but nowhere near as great as Logan) 7/10

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (04-04-18)

Thanks

I thought that Apocalypse was better than what I'd heard. While Logan didn't quite live up to the hype. Maybe cause I wasn't expecting much of it. In my opinion Logan didn't have much of a story.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    I thought that Apocalypse was better than what I'd heard. While Logan didn't quite live up to the hype. Maybe cause I wasn't expecting much of it. In my opinion Logan didn't have much of a story.
    You could be right about Logan not having much of a plot, but I just loved the story or ageing superheroes. It made me cry too, which is pretty rare in one of these blockbuster movies (the death and funeral in Guardians of the Galaxy II is another crying one for me)

Everyone is going on about the Showman movie, telling me I must get the soundtrack. Has anyone seen it?

Thanks

Musical biopic about PT Barnum. double no from moi!

Thanks

Thor Ragnarok - I am not a fan of Thor and I really don't like Loki, so I've put off watching this film, but I was pleasantly surprised. Very funny script, with some good new characters, my favourite being Korg a man made of stone. He had my favourite line in the film "I tried to start a revolution... but I didn't print enough pamphlets so hardly anyone turned up. Except for my mum and her boyfriend, who I hate.' The voice actor was also the films director, so I think he gave himself the best lines 8/10

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Fool for Buffy (23-04-18),Silver1 (23-04-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,003 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    M (1931) I can see why this is a classic. German cinema must have been considered light years ahead of anything happening in the US. Even the subject matter seems modern, and how it was dealt with asks the same questions we ask ourselves today. Of course some of the performances seem a little mannered, but Peter Lorre is great. The cinematography also seems very modern, but there is one scene where the camera is below a desk looking up through the legs of a police officer while he's on the phone. It sticks out because it's too silly. I wonder how that got through the edit, when it doesn't work and seems like 'oh lets try this and see what happens' sort of filming. Or have I missed the point? Anyway, a classic 10/10
    Agree with everything BUT - revisit the legs scene. You can tell *cough, cough* "which way he dresses". My first reaction was WTF!? My second reaction was "it's to do with "appetite" and "hunger" in a wider sense (it follows the very large meal/drink consumed by the night watchman). I (wisely, I thought, given my obsession with everything phallic) kept quiet about it. However, I read a theoretical essay a year back that said exactly the same thing. I've since come out of the closet (not a euphemism for womb).

29. The Following User Says Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (23-04-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,228 Posts

Just came back from seeing Infinity War, and without going into spoilers I really liked it. Didn't seem like a two and a half hour movie as the time just whizzed by, but then all my life I've been a Marvel gal so to speak. Was brought up on the comics so the plot hit me "in the feels" as the young folk say.

One thing I would say though If you've never watched any of the Marvel films, well then you may get a bit confused in places.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Fool for Buffy (26-04-18),Priceless (26-04-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Silver1 View Post
    Just came back from seeing Infinity War, and without going into spoilers I really liked it. Didn't seem like a two and a half hour movie as the time just whizzed by, but then all my life I've been a Marvel gal so to speak. Was brought up on the comics so the plot hit me "in the feels" as the young folk say.

One thing I would say though If you've never watched any of the Marvel films, well then you may get a bit confused in places.
    Glad you enjoyed it, I'm going to see it on Tuesday. Did you see it in 3D? I had the choice and opted for 2D.

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,581 Times in 1,228 Posts

I hate 3d and always opt for good old fashion 2d.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (26-04-18)