Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Film Reviews

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 768 Posts

Yeah he looks good but, the bloke playing Solo seems to be a charisma vacuum from what I've seen so far.

And still talking of Infinity War....

Last edited by Silver1; 02-05-18 at 12:04 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Silver1 For This Useful Post:

Priceless (02-05-18)

Bronze Party-Goer Fool for Buffy's Avatar
    Thanks

I thought Infinity War was a 10. It exceeded my impossible expectations and somehow proved every single one of my theories wrong. I cannot thank Marvel enough.
    Priceless I'm glad someone else appreciates Donald Glover. He is just always awesome.
    Hello cutie

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fool for Buffy For This Useful Post:

Priceless (02-05-18),Silver1 (02-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,489 Times in 2,656 Posts

Yeah he looks good but, the bloke playing Solo seems to be a charisma vacuum from what I've seen so far.
    I've never heard of him and he doesn't look much like Ford. To be honest I think it's a thankless role because everyone will be comparing you to Ford and no-one can win that battle

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fool for Buffy View Post
    I thought Infinity War was a 10. It exceeded my impossible expectations and somehow proved every single one of my theories wrong. I cannot thank Marvel enough.
    Priceless I'm glad someone else appreciates Donald Glover. He is just always awesome.
    I love Donald Glover. I'm watching Atlanta and I think he's a genius. But I felt the same about Azis Ansari while watching Master of None, and look what happened to him

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Fool for Buffy (02-05-18),Silver1 (02-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,614 Times in 4,351 Posts

The Hunger (1983) - I've always found Bowie very compelling in the few films of his that I've seen and this wasn't an exception. There were some parts where I was laughing at it somewhat as it tries too hard at times in its attempt to be artistic. But regardless, or maybe perhaps even a little bit because of that(!), I really enjoyed it and the character dynamics were intriguing and kept me guessing where it would go. It was definitely interesting and a bit different for the vamp genre.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (06-05-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,202 Posts

James Baldwin I am not your Negro. (Sigh - still trying to figure out Giles) . OMG! It's making me so angry. I want to switch it off but I'm determined to see it through to the end!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,247 Times in 2,215 Posts

Infinity War

*** SPOILERS ***

I honestly loved it. I think it did an incredible job of including so many different characters, I think Thanos was the best villain they've ever had by far, some of the action scenes were so impressive, and the movie made me really like a lot of characters that I didn't previously care about. For instance, the Guardians were much more tolerable in this film than in their own franchise and Dr Strange was great. I also think that this film redeemed Tony a lot as I found him really unlikable in Age of Ultron and Civil War.

I loved Thanos' children. The big brutish guy was kind of a bore but the others were all great and I was on the edge of my seat watching all of their scenes. Two of my favourite scenes of the movie were the first attack on New York with Dr Strange, Iron Man, Spider Man and Bruce and Vision and Wanda being attacked in Scotland. In fact, the scene of Vision and Wanda being attacked was probably my favourite scene of the whole film. The stunt work and action was amazing and the bad guys were so ferocious and deadly. I also prefer smaller-scale scenes such as these then the big battles like towards the end. Although, I do think that it was a little unbelievable that Nat and Falcon, and even Cap, managed to fair better against Thanos' children then Wanda did. Still, it was absolutely superb.

I think the decision to kill off Loki in the opening was a ballsy move that quickly established that this film would be different from the others. The MCU has been notoriously short of deaths so I hope that Loki's death, at least, sticks. I think it goes without saying that the deaths of the other characters in the snap will be reversed. I'd actually be far more inclined to worry about the remaining characters (who are almost all just the OG Avengers) as at least one of them is likely to die permanently in the next film. I do like that the films are coming full circle with only the original characters remaining before they move on from Phase 3 and leave characters behind.

My main criticisms would be that I think it fell into the same trap that both Avengers and Age of Ultron did with the Avengers having to battle an army of indistinguishable CGI monsters which can get pretty tiresome. But admittedly I don't know how you can really avoid that when your cast is made up of numerous super-powered heroes. You can't possibly have them all attack just one bad guy all the time so an army of bad guys is inevitable, really. I also didn't think there was enough Captain America and that there were some missed opportunities with some of the characters (Cap & Bucky barely interacted, Sam & Bucky said one word to each other, I wished we'd seen more of a reaction to Thor's return etc) but they did well juggling all the characters under the circumstances. I also have a feeling that the next film will be much more character-centric now that they've (temporarily) killed off a decent chunk of the roster.

Overall it was a great film. I've watched every film (besides Guardians of the Galaxy II which I just cannot get through ) but I've never been all that invested in the MCU. This made me invested though. The franchise has really moved past a lot of the elements that used to bore me (S.H.I.E.L.D for instance) and they've really found their groove with a lot of these characters now (Thor went from being one of the dullest characters to one of the best). I'm excited to see what's ahead. I just hope I haven't gained a lot of interest just as superhero fatigue sets in for everyone else
    Last edited by vampmogs; 13-05-18 at 11:10 AM.
    "You've got ... a world of strength in your heart. I know you do. You just have to find it again. Believe in yourself."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to vampmogs For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (13-05-18)

Thanks

Zombiesaurus 2017

Oh geez. This might actually be the worst film I've ever watched. It's not even laugh 'at it' or 'with it' entertaining. The plot is terrible and doesn't hold up to even the slightest scrutiny. It's badly thought through and badly explained, badly written, badly directed, terrible sound, terrible acting. It is blatantly trying to parody some films and make nods to others but any attempt at doing this well or humorously completely fails. There is so much that is nonsensical and poorly considered. It feels like you're watching a film attempt by a junior school child that had a good enough original idea but then went off in several different directions with every/any thought that they had, because they're a kid and haven't even the vaguest clue about how to put together a coherent story let alone a film. The 'rex' is pretty irrelevant, makes little sense or has any meaningful presence. And that's before you even get to how awful the animatronics are. Why the heck the film title focuses on it is beyond me. Honestly save yourself the hour and a half, there's not anything I can think of that you wouldn't be better off doing instead.
    Last edited by Stoney; 14-05-18 at 11:53 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (14-05-18)

Thanks

Deadpool 2 The best film I've seen this year. Far superior to Infinity War. It was warmer, funnier and just far more exciting than anything else I've seen at the cinema. Every character was so well written and the dialogue was to die for, seriously, line after line of pure vulgarity and sentimentality that had me grinning from ear to ear Of course it's incredibly violent but it's not dull and it's not stupid an somewhere in there is a heart. Loved it 10/10

BUT
    Spoiler:
    It suffers from the same problem as Infinity War, it hits you with a death that has emotional impact for the characters, but the audience knows the dead will return, so really there is very little emotional impact for the audience and if feels manipulative. There's no real jeopardy for any of these characters. But I guess that's the problem with all franchised Superhero films

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (21-05-18),Stoney (21-05-18)

Thanks

Ready Player One - This film was not made for me. I thought it was designed to be a manipulative money spinner. It threw in a lot of 80's themes, but it wasn't fun or clever. The hero changed his life, but the lives of everyone else were still crappy. 2/10

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (01-07-18),Stoney (01-07-18)

Thanks

Solo: A Star Wars Story - I enjoyed this but I wouldn't say it was a great film, I certainly wouldn't rush to rewatch it but I didn't dislike anything about it and I liked getting to see expansion on elements of a character's history that were commented on in the original films. I'd been told that Alden Ehrenreich spent a good deal of time with Harrison Ford and worked on getting a good handle on his mannerisms. I think he did a great job actually. But nothing was going to bridge the issues that he was trying to be a very charismatic character who we had seen a younger version of on screen before and so had a clear mental image of and nothing could give him what I'd guess were the 3-4 inches in height he was missing. He did a good job though, possibly as good as anyone could have managed, but it just didn't feel like I was watching Han Solo.

But sure, it was fun seeing the origin of his friendship with Chewy and the story of the Millennium Falcon play out on screen. I also really liked Paul Bettany in it, even if it was the cliche of a Brit playing the baddie. There were another couple of ways I think the film limits its value, but I'm not sure what is general knowledge about the details or not and some of the following comments are very spoilery so I'm going to tag them. I'm also going to talk about a Rogue One spoiler too.
    Spoiler:
    Two of the other main characters of the film that get quite a bit of attention go nowhere. In the case of Qi'ra, played by Emilia Clarke, there might be further films produced to give more side stories, but in terms of her relationship with Han as it stood here it was hard to be very interested or care greatly over the 'them' of it as a romance when we know it isn't ultimately going anywhere. Exploring her story more would be good, particularly finding out more about the years they were parted, but I don't think they will go into her character with much greater depth and so her role in the verse will stay contained more to being a figure from his past. If they came across each other more during the years unseen, after where this film leaves things, her role as an influencing factor on him could certainly become even more interesting too, but limited to just what this film gave it was hard to care much.

In a similar vein the droid character L3 was interesting and I enjoyed her attitude, but she was used very much like Andy Tudyk's K-2SO from Rogue One and, like that character, was killed off as a way of injecting audience response and giving an easy emotional/angst beat within the individual film. Introducing great, fun characters that have to stay within one story is just restrictive to your investment when compared to how you feel about other parts of the same verse that span many films. It felt too predictable that she was sacrificed for the development of the main cast. We're fridging droids here people!! So a character used to pad out the new film addition but deliberately reduced to cover why we've never heard or seen of these people since, droids are the red shirts of the Star Wars franchise.

This aspect of padding the film but containing the elements just creates an odd feel when they are part of a greater whole that threads/ties between the other films more. These add-ons need to contain themselves more in a way that by default feels like it reduces/limits them.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoney For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (01-07-18)

Bronze Party-Goer HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Solo: A Star Wars Story - I enjoyed this but I wouldn't say it was a great film, I certainly wouldn't rush to rewatch it but I didn't dislike anything about it and I liked getting to see expansion on elements of a character's history that were commented on in the original films. I'd been told that Alden Ehrenreich spent a good deal of time with Harrison Ford and worked on getting a good handle on his mannerisms. I think he did a great job actually. But nothing was going to bridge the issues that he was trying to be a very charismatic character who we had seen a younger version of on screen before and so had a clear mental image of and nothing could give him what I'd guess were the 3-4 inches in height he was missing. He did a good job though, possibly as good as anyone could have managed, but it just didn't feel like I was watching Han Solo.

But sure, it was fun seeing the origin of his friendship with Chewy and the story of the Millennium Falcon play out on screen. I also really liked Paul Bettany in it, even if it was the cliche of a Brit playing the baddie. There were another couple of ways I think the film limits its value, but I'm not sure what is general knowledge about the details or not and some of the following comments are very spoilery so I'm going to tag them. I'm also going to talk about a Rogue One spoiler too.
    Spoiler:
    Two of the other main characters of the film that get quite a bit of attention go nowhere. In the case of Qi'ra, played by Emilia Clarke, there might be further films produced to give more side stories, but in terms of her relationship with Han as it stood here it was hard to be very interested or care greatly over the 'them' of it as a romance when we know it isn't ultimately going anywhere. Exploring her story more would be good, particularly finding out more about the years they were parted, but I don't think they will go into her character with much greater depth and so her role in the verse will stay contained more to being a figure from his past. If they came across each other more during the years unseen, after where this film leaves things, her role as an influencing factor on him could certainly become even more interesting too, but limited to just what this film gave it was hard to care much.

In a similar vein the droid character L3 was interesting and I enjoyed her attitude, but she was used very much like Andy Tudyk's K-2SO from Rogue One and, like that character, was killed off as a way of injecting audience response and giving an easy emotional/angst beat within the individual film. Introducing great, fun characters that have to stay within one story is just restrictive to your investment when compared to how you feel about other parts of the same verse that span many films. It felt too predictable that she was sacrificed for the development of the main cast. We're fridging droids here people!! So a character used to pad out the new film addition but deliberately reduced to cover why we've never heard or seen of these people since, droids are the red shirts of the Star Wars franchise.

This aspect of padding the film but containing the elements just creates an odd feel when they are part of a greater whole that threads/ties between the other films more. These add-ons need to contain themselves more in a way that by default feels like it reduces/limits them.
    Easily the weakest of the new films.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Stoney (02-07-18)

Thanks

Ant Man And The Wasp Fun film, the comedy really works and the characters, even the supporting players, are interesting. I understand the pressure on women to look a certain way, especially in Hollywood, but I found Michelle Pfeiffer's face really distracting 7/10

Thanks

A Simple Favour Great fun film starring Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick, actually much better than I expected it to be. It's a strange little thriller with some surprises. I'd definitely recommend it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (02-10-18)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* Avengers: Infinity War is very stupid. If Thanos was that powerful, the previous Avengers movies make around zero sense. And yet somehow someone like Captain America has around Thanos's strength?

The MCU makes little sense after the first Avengers movie.

* A Star is Born is AMAZING!

Those who say Thor: Ragnorok and Black Panther are great films and even that Black Panther --and The Dark Knight --are Oscar films...

Come on.

Although, slowly, 'smaller' films are getting more screens and attention lately.

A Star is Born opened the weekend Venom opened. Albeit, apparently, Bradley Cooper had to fight with Warner Brothers to get Stefani Germanotta aka Lady Gaga cast. Warner Brothers wanted Beyonce. Stefani's a better singer and a better actor. And the story makes better sense with her. And she's a better songwriter than Beyonce.

* The Death of Superman (2018), Justice League vs. Teen Titans (2016), Teen Titans: The Judas Contract (2017), and other DC Animated movies are all better than most of the MCU movies. The DC Animated movies make sense.
    Last edited by MikeB; 12-10-18 at 08:21 AM. Reason: grammar, additional stuff

Thanks

* Avengers: Infinity War is very stupid. If Thanos was that powerful, the previous Avengers movies make around zero sense. And yet somehow someone like Captain America has around Thanos's strength?

The MCU make little sense after the first Avengers movie.
    I think I probably agree with you MikeB. What bothers me is if Doctor Strange is as powerful as his film suggests, he could just float that glove right off Thanos's hand, or make it vanish or make Thanos think it's vanished . . . or something.