Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Film Reviews

Thanks
    Thanked 3,475 Times in 1,199 Posts

Spoiler:

It would fit the timeline, but I do find it unlikely. Albus is (as far as we know) gay which makes it unlikely that he got a woman pregnant. We don't know Aberforth's sexuality, but in the HP books JKR hints that human women are not really his thing either. If he is a Dumbledore but not a brother, he might be a cousin?

Manipulation by Grindelwald seems the best option at the moment. Both for canon and for the story. Her randomly introducing a new Dumbledore without Albus Dumbledore knowing about him is (probably) horrible storytelling. Grindelwald using this powerful boy to kill Dumbledore by creating some bullshit story to anger Credence is a much better idea.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nina For This Useful Post:

flow (18-11-18)

Library Researcher HowiMetdaSlayer's Avatar
    Thanks

Seen Peppermint the other day. Rather forgettable action movie.

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* I just saw A Simple Favor . I wanted to see it in the theatre, but I simply never 'got around' to it. It's a good movie--certainly better than almost all the superhero movies INCLUDING BLACK PANTHER .

Even having Black Panther nominated for a Best Picture, Best screenplay, etc. will have the movie awards lose most of their credibility. Black Panther is NOT Titanic , The Lord of the Rings , etc.

A Simple Favor is a much better screenplay, a better movie, and has much better acting. And Blake Lively's being in it--and probably hers being married to Ryan Reynolds--might be the only reason it was shown in theatres as long as it was and probably the only reason it got such a wide release.

These superheroes movies are dumbing culture and dumbing the populace. And it's getting worse given how many of these are coming out every year. I'm glad Star Wars is 'slowing down'.

Anyway, A Simple Favor is great.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeB For This Useful Post:

Priceless (13-12-18)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,604 Times in 3,126 Posts

I agree Mike B, A Simple favour was great. Blake Lively surprised me at how good she was.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

MikeB (13-12-18)

Thanks

All said regarding writers, producers, actors, directors, viewers, readers, etc. are what I remember, my opinions, etc.

* Both Blake Lively and Anna Kendrick--probably to a lesser extent--are good actors, but they are both still clearly mostly known and hired for their looks. Blake has the added benefit of being a fashion icon and being married to Ryan Reynolds after Deadpool became a big hit.

Even in A Simple Favor the wardrobe department couldn't help not hiding each's breasts in at least one scene each.

The only problem with A Simple Favor is the trope that somehow Anna Kendrick could perfectly fit in a dress that Blake Lively would wear.

I'm not sure why it got a relatively low 'score' on RottenTomatoes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/a_simple_favor .

THIS MOVIE: [url] https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avengers_infinity_war [/i] is one of the stupidest, worst written, and worst plotted movies I've seen. Yet, it got better 'scores'.

Joss Whedon managed to make Avengers make some sense and make each character's usefulness make sense in the movie. Avengers: Infinity War is simply beyond stupid and Thanos beyond stupid. It doesn't take long for a population to double, especially after so many die.

And, hey, Joss Whedon managed to keep Xander and Dawn relatively important in BtVS S7 and BtVS S8. Christos Gage threw away any semblance of credibility by having Xander and Dawn not die fighting New Rules Vampires.

The Russo brothers cannot write a good Marvel movie.

Thanks

Watched Rocky 19 with my dad. Not quite as good as the previous film, but better than expected.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,920 Times in 4,850 Posts

I watched Edge of Tomorrow the other night and really enjoyed it. I think they took a typical Tom Cruise action film and gave it a different edge. I felt the odd injections of humour, whilst funny, were a little out of step with the rest of the film though which was a shame. Mostly because they were funny but still felt just out of place. There was a good sense of progression through the movie that I liked the most. The dilemma(s) developed with the character's increased experience and how they came to view the solution in ways that I thought were quite smart. The ending took me a while to reason through though. At first I felt disappointed and that they'd cheated and avoided what they wanted, but I did get to see the logic to it. I'm still not sure I liked it though as an ending as the initial response (or at least my initial response) was to be massively disappointed and so at the very least they failed to convey pertinent details at the most crucial of moments. I'd love to know if others thought the ending made sense instantly.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HowiMetdaSlayer View Post
    Watched Rocky 19 with my dad. Not quite as good as the previous film, but better than expected.
    Rocky 19! There have been 18 previous Rocky films?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Priceless For This Useful Post:

TriBel (14-12-18)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Priceless View Post
    Rocky 19! There have been 18 previous Rocky films?
    Was kidding...barely. This is the 8th in the series. Well technically this is a spinoff series. There were 6 Rockys. Now 2 Creeds. Watched all of 'em with my dad. Kinda one of our dad/daughter things.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HowiMetdaSlayer For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-12-18)

Thanks

Was kidding...barely. This is the 8th in the series. Well technically this is a spinoff series. There were 6 Rockys. Now 2 Creeds. Watched all of 'em with my dad. Kinda one of our dad/daughter things.
    Aww that's a nice tradition, though Rocky isn't my sort of thing. I knew there was one new Creed film, didn't realise there were two.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,657 Times in 1,509 Posts

LOL! I knew that was too subtle!

MikeB:

Black Panther is NOT Titanic
    And there are probably a lot of Black Panther fans grateful for that remark!

These superheroes movies are dumbing culture and dumbing the populace.
    Why...and how? (Genuine question). Does the fact that something is popular automatically mean it's bad? This suggests people were bright before they went to see the first superhero movie. If so, what attracted them?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TriBel For This Useful Post:

Priceless (14-12-18),Stoney (14-12-18)

Slayer
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,656 Times in 1,578 Posts

I've seen a bunch of movies lately. I thought I'd get to reviewing.

Mary Poppins Returns: I loved this one. If you're a fan of the 1964 version, you'll like/love this movie but if you're not, this new entry is not for you because it's very much in the mold of the '60s movie. I really appreciated how Disney didn't do practically a Frame-for-Frame repeat of the same movie as it did for Beauty and the Beast. This Mary Poppins has entirely new songs and a new plot with differing family dynamics but it's very much in the same universe as the first movie. Mary Poppins has similar magic and the movie has a similar aesthetic. Michael Banks, all grown up, and Jane Banks, all grown up, aren't an exact retread of their parents but they feel like a logical reaction to their parents resulting in the next generation of flawed adults muddling through raising the next generation of children, who therefore need Mary Poppin's help. It's not that Michael Banks is a stern father who has difficulty accessing his emotions and sense of whimsy but rather, he's a sensitive dreamer little boy grown into a sensitive dreamer man who has trouble dealing with the harsh realities of his Great Depression time period. Jane Banks is an activist like her mother but she took it in the direction of being a complete authentic activist as her actual job instead of a secret suffragette pretending to be a retro wife. The songs are completely original but you can absolutely draw a line between each song in the 2018 version and its antecedent song in the 1964 version because they have a similar role in the plot and sense of rhythm.

Chim Chim Cheree = Underneath the Lovely London Sky
    Spoonful of Sugar = Can You Imagine That?
    It's a Jolly Holiday with Mary = The Royal Doulton Music Hall
    Supercalifragilous = A Cover is Not the Book
    Feed the Birds = The Place Where Lost Things Go
    I Love to Laugh = Turning Turtle
    Step in Time = Trip a Little Light Fantastic
    Let's Go Fly a Kite= Nowhere to Go but Up

The cast was great. I'm a Lin Manuel Miranda stan. I was pretty amused at how, again, the two Mary Poppins' "rhyme" because while Lin Manuel is not exactly Dick Van Dyke, they have a similar role and the movie is basically in on the joke that it cast a super likable American star to struggle with a Cockney accent. I basically squeed in the theater when they gave Lin Manuel a section of a Mary Poppins song to actually *rap* even though it's not the general style of the songs. I thought Emily Blunt did very well for herself in singing in a lower alto register to differentiate herself from Julie Andrew's famous soprano. No one can ever win against Julie Andrews as far as I'm concerned* but Emily Blunt created her own great version of Mary Poppins.

*Yes, I never saw Julie Andrews when she was on Broadway playing the lead in Camelot and My Fair Lady. I've only heard the Broadway soundtracks. Won't stop me from bloviating about how she must have been SO MUCH BETTER than Vanessa Redgrave and Audrey Hepburn respectively.
    Last edited by Dipstick; 26-12-18 at 07:12 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dipstick For This Useful Post:

Silver1 (26-12-18)